Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helen McEntee & Those Donations - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

What a web we weave when we try to deceive.

Hopefully this is the end for her, far too many scandals involving her now, bringing the ministry into disrepute.

Unfortunately given who's in charge, she might get another pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Whenever a politician says I've been very clear it means they've been lying through their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Look at those next in line for other parties

A dearth of talent throughout. Increase the pay, reduce the numbers and abolish the Seanad.

Make being a TD an important desirable position for people

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly. Its pure elitist snobbery to suggest that a Minister needs a degree in the area of the Ministry. Its absolute drivel particularly when you think that a 14 year old school leaver became the UK Minister for Health and established the NHS.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thats pretty unfair - I would be a traditional FG voter - but have found McEntee to a be a poor enough minister for Justice - and FGs record regarding this is one of the growing lists of reasons I wont be voting for them again in the near future.

I have nothing against get personally, I do find the overegging of her limited achievements by the media rather bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's the way of the world now. If you check various identity politics boxes it gets you a lot further than actual competence in modern politics it seems.

I reckon Leo might be in trouble with that Garda investigation (it certainly seems to be going on a long time), and Helen is being lined up to take over when FG take the reins again at the end of the year (Coveney - the previous contender seems to have lost all support for a leadership bid).

It's the same way as much was made of "how far we'd come" when Leo took office, but the actual results weren't nearly as "impressive".

Its going to be interesting with the country looking at real problems that might not be able to be solved by throwing money at it - how much identify politics and various elements of politics life stay - or get overtaken by everyday issues for the larger population.

Throwing money at things or enacting things that spend money without actually solving anything has been pretty much FGs MO

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely.. all Leo's Government achieved was tinkering at the edge of social policies that made sense/were long overdue - all while the fundamental problems of housing, health, costs of living and all the rest worsened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I think the whole party have an air of looking down their noses at people at the moment. They are being warned about things turning on them and their attitude is to smirk and deny any fault. Leo’s leaks and snide comments, at music festivals in the uk during lockdown , Covneys attitude when questioned. McEntees refusal to admit wrong on donations. It’s endemic in the party. They are doing nothing on the fuel crisis when leaving an open door for Ukrainian refugees. Where is the money from this coming from. I voted for them in the last three elections but I’m not voting for them this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I agree wholeheartedly, but FG are the "I'm smarter than you" party, who have form for frequently and unashamedly using paper credentialism to run down rival political parties.

I don't mind McEntee tbh. She's not the worst, but then again has not displayed any outstanding qualities during her career.

I'm not an out-and-out cynic, but we all have to be wise to the fact we all know why she's been shuttled to a prominent ministry by FG at this early stage of her career. They've done the calculus and she's young, knows how to stay on script, hasn't trod on any career landmines (yet) and most importantly is female.

As the old saying goes, bullsh*t will get you to the top, but it won't keep you there. We'll see if she's the real deal in time.

• Advertisement

Is a phd the new masters?

I mean like you say it is now very easy to get a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If you spent all day looking at Pearse, Boyd Barrett, Healy Rae etc etc etc roaring & shouting, tripping over each other to make the most outlandish comment to get on social media, you would think you are smarter than them.

Let's not forget poor old Pearse ran out of fingers when he was doing his "I will tax the rich" and suddenly dropped from 140k to 100k. Hardly the brightest star in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

More Developments, Communications so to speak. Of course some will put this down to constituency work on behalf of constituents 🙄

The Indo still probing.

Helen must cringe every time she see's this photo 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysus the indo are obsessed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Not really, it'ss a nothing article.

Company wants to reopen after covid

Emails local TD for help and asking if they will be included in reopening with all other similar locations so they can plan(hiring etc)

TD says she is asking if they can reopen.

Wow....throw them all into jail 😂

How many thousands of companies sent the same emails over the covid period? I know my company was in constant contact with the government/TD's asking for advice.

That been said I am sure loads of people will be up in arms about this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is the point not, Tayto Park was given permission to operate fully during the pandemic when other outdoor sports & leisure facilities had to shut?

And why did they get this special exemption?

Amongst other things to include forgetfulness, also curious why Helen (Minister for Justice, let's not forget) writing to another minister about the opening of a Zoo 🤔 surely she could have suggested to her "constituent" to write to the actual line minister responsible instead.

Individual issues on their own could infer "nothing to see here' apart from selective amnesia, a number of issues (which there clearly is, does not suggest this is a nothing burger story, dare I say not even requiring a PhD or indeed masters to understand something not quite adding up, so to speak 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The headline should read "Business seeks clarity on reopening"

But that won't get the saliva flowing with the dribblers.

She didn't forward any correspondence onto a "line minister" whatever that is. 😕

Also the business didn't get a "special exemption" - worst corruption ever. 🙄

• Advertisement

Headline should infact have Read

"MORE SHENANIGANS " actually 😏

Well no, the headline should give a fair reflection on the content of the article.

It doesn't.

It's designed for dangerously stupid people who can't read past a headline or interrupt an article.

Which leads to declarations of fallacy that Tayto Park was fully open throughout the pandemic because they got a special exemption.

If you are going to try and paint the narrative that she was accepting bungs for favours.

You have to show the favours.

😏

Actually it does, it lays out exactly what the Artcle Header states , as I've said previously, people can make up their own minds as the the truths, facts or otherwise but there's certainly a sequence of events , starting with the selective Amnesia to today's little nugget of information.

This is simply not a TD doing dilgent work on behalf of a "Constituent " , could it be perhaps quid pro quo 🤔 , who knows but certainly a curious sequence of events 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 66,871 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Benefit is assumed under the Corruption Act.

Section 14: Presumption of corrupt gift, consideration or advantage Section 14 provides that if it is proved that a gift, consideration or advantage is given to an official by a person with an interest in the functions of the official, then it is presumed that it has been given and received corruptly as an inducement or reward for the official acting in relation to those functions. The presumption operates whether the gift etc. is given directly or indirectly to the official. The presumption, like all presumptions in the Bill, can be rebutted by evidence proving the contrary on the balance of probabilities.

b12217d-memo.pdf (oireachtas.ie)

people can make up their own minds as the the truths, facts or otherwise

Yes people should make up there own minds about what the facts are. Good lad. 👍️

A, now we're down to patronising, I get it but of course it won't deflect from what is certainly a curious story , I do hope I didn't disturb your Saturday morning with my update this morning.

I do enjoy a browse through the Saturday papers and of course always important to share updates on the reporting on Helens Fairytale's 😏

May I compliment you on your user name incidently, the mind truly "Boggles " with all this deflection, but I do find it amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Are people actually claiming Tayto park was open all through the pandemic???

What nonsense non story are we talking about today?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,871 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh no not another 'nonsense story'!!

The last time people such as yourself claimed this JJ it ended up in a still ongoing Garda Criminal Investigation.

Maybe let this one play out before pronouncing 'nothing to see here'. Helen nor anyone else is above investigation/questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Are you claiming tayto park operated fully during the pandemic?

• Advertisement

Brilliant and truly original. 🙄

I'll leave you with your creepy obsession with a female politician. Have a good one. 🤟

Advertisement