Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helen McEntee & Those Donations - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So I guess the sales people on the board of the IT company were used to selling cars, shoes, boats, etc rather than lets say IT services of IT equipment ?

I guess the accountants were just parachuted in from say a food production company and hadn't worked in IT company before ?

Although saying that accountants are accountants.

You do know it makes life a lot easier in an organisation when the people making the decisions have an intimidate knowledge of what the organisation does and what funcitons it carries out?

Otherwise the experts have to spend a lot longer teaching those making the decisions what the fook is going on.

Also it makes it a lot easier and better if the people that act as figure head for an organisation and who have to answer questions to the public, customers, shareholders, suppliers actually have a fooking clue what they are talking about.

You seem to subscribe to the management principle once tried in Apple back in the day where people were put in very high level management positions totally outside their area of expertise simply to make sure they were not a threat to those at the top, all of which sent the company into oblivion.

And yes it wasn't Steve Jobs.

BTW yes my mammy was proud of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Absolutely not the case ... the CEO didn't know one end of a computer from the other ... the sales / commercial directors had a background in media and printing industries

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The idea of an academic heirarchy is an elitist one, put forward by traditional universities in a transparent attempt to maintain a privileged position.

There is now a National Framework of Qualifications which equates various courses and quality assures the outcomes. A Level 9 Masters is a Level 9 Masters no matter where it is obtained. If anything, the QA falls down most in traditional universities who are left to their own QA processes with less external validation by QQI.

The worst Ministers for Education have all been teachers. The best - Donogh O'Malley - was an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes, you’re absolutely correct. Only an elitist would think a Masters in Applied Mathematics and a Masters in Applied Spirituality (an actual course btw) are not exactly the same thing requiring the same level of intellect and dedication to complete either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Dodgy Helen like the crispy notes alright.

Different but the same.

Both are Level 9 on the Irish NFQ.

An argument about level of intellect can be made in many ways. The narrow focussed approach of a Masters in Applied Mathematics can be limiting in a way that a Masters of Applied Spirituality may not. That people only consider certain fields or certain types of intellectualism as worthy speaks to an elitist approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I think others have given a perfect example of why someone with a legal background does not make them the best person for the job. I do find it strange in one post you have zero idea about what she done in area to now claim you know the family.

Well done on your Masters, not sure why you are asking does it qualify you for Minster of Justice?

I mentioned Helen Masters because we had people on here saying she had no education etc. I didn't say because she had a Masters she should automatically become the Minister for Justice.

You seem to think its ok to call people lazy and simplistic while you have provided zero facts.

Do you think it is funny trying to ridicule others people Masters?

I don’t think it qualifies me to be Minister of Justice, not at all….that was my point…..which was clearly lost on you.

• Advertisement

Is that really what you think I was trying to do there? Seriously? You really are going out of your way to take offence at every opportunity it seems.

I was stating my belief that not all Masters are equal, despite whatever an accreditation body will say about them all being Level 9. I have 2 Masters, one taught and one research; I can assure you the amount of work required for the research Masters was a multiple of that required for the taught one. It is a gross over-simplification to say they are all the same because they are not and with respect, having completed 2 I think I’m in a better and more experienced position than most to comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"I do find it strange in one post you have zero idea about what she done in area to now claim you know the family."

I know quite a few members of her extended family and am acquainted with her brother, yet still I have no idea what she has done in the area.

"I mentioned Helen Masters because we had people on here saying she had no education etc. I didn't say because she had a Masters she should automatically become the Minister for Justice."

I missed that. Any chance of a link to where people said she had no education etc.?

I didn't say having a Master qualified Helen, that was clearly lost on you. I just said having a Masters confirms she is educated. I think the comment made was "she isn't someone for girls to look up to" or something along those lines. I personally think a lady who has got a Masters and worked her way to Minister for Justice plus all the other experience is someone to look up to.

I certainly didn’t say she’s not educated, and I didn’t say having a Masters entitled one to be the Minister for Justice.

You’re also now being extremely facetious and passive-aggressive by repeating my “was lost on you” comment. Anyway….

You may think someone who got elected through name recognition and a sympathy vote whilst being unqualified for the role is someone to look up to for young women, I don’t. You’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine.

Re. knowing the family and knowing or not knowing what she has done - what do you not understand about this? What is strange about it? I have worked with her uncle as I stated but not her personally. I have met her a couple of times. Can you not know someone’s family without knowing the details of every single member of that family?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The guy died but he stabbed somebody and could of killed them, her support should be with the victim first rather than the perpetrator or his family. Secondly you thank the guards for risking their lives dealing with such dangerous individuals.

This is not a topic for the thread but I suggest you read up on what happened.

If she had posted a tweet like you suggest it would be totally idiotic at a time when the whole area was like a ticking bomb and would have resulted in risking more lives in the public and the Gardai

Edit

Post edited by brokenangel on

That is based on your personal experience. I also have two Masters. However, I am also completely certain that my current work could be easily transmutable into a research masters qualification with minimal effort. It would be much easier than either of the two Masters I have already.

The ease of a Masters is related to the person and not just the course.

If I was looking to hire a person who could take a strategic broad view of a people-based organisation, would I hire someone with a Masters in Applied Mathematics? No, not a chance. Would I hire someone with a Masters in Spirituality? Possibly, depending on the skills already within the team.

Does that mean the Masters in Spirituality is better? No, it just means it is a better fit for the situation I am looking at.

Well……it’s based on my own experience AND 15 years of lecturing in a university on a part-time basis during which I’ve assisted dozens of students in acquiring their own masters. It obviously depends on the subject matter being studied, and the depth of your research. In my experience research masters require much more work than taught masters do, which has helped to inform my stated earlier opinion that not all masters are equal.

• Advertisement

I disagree it’s not a topic for the thread because it was her tweet we’re talking about. A Minister for Justice should not be tweeting about serious incidents like that prior to any required investigations being conducted and concluded. Her tweeting her woke-BLM style tweet was in my opinion irresponsible at best, and potentially dangerous at worst.

She should have considered the impact that incident had on the Gardai and Mr. Nchenko’s many victims. I also sincerely doubt if it had been a white inner city man with a similar history of crime as Nchenko would she have tweeted anything that day. I may be incorrect in this but I don’t recall her tweeting any other families of young men who have lost their lives in a violent manner since she became Minister - but I’m open to correction on that.

My previously stated position on this was she should not have commented on the matter at all, but it appears she couldn’t turn down the opportunity to play to the gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She also gave an extended interview giving her view on the outcome of Varadkar's criminal investigation,(needless to say she was off the view he would avoid a court case) which was entirely inappropriate for an MoJ.

Ahh now it makes sense why you whole heardedly support the children's hospital. 🙄

I could see how say a masters in something like psychology can aid teams and certain working environments, but spirituality ???

Anyway I think most people bar the FGers and connected ones can see how good the current minister of justice really is and how she got to where she is, i.e. the right connections.

I am wondering, do you understand how an election works and how TD's get voted in?

It doesn't matter what connections you have unless you have voters, in the case of McEntee she got voted in number 2 in her area when FG lost TD's across the country and in her own area.

The thing with that mullarkey is someone with a masters from MIT is considered the same as someone with one from ITT or MTU whatever it is called these days. They might be in the same general field, but one is a hell of a lot harder to get into in the first place and in the real world has way more clout.

This grading of qualifications is very suitable for our public sector where people can be effectively awarded points and graded based on what they have, all in an endeavour to make selection of applicants look objective and not the old nod and a wink it is who you know that gets you the job.

So you get 10 points if you have a masters, no matter if it is MIT or Sligo IT.

But he was an engineer. 😉

Oh and one of the best forward thinking politicians we ever had even if he was FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Higher Education is no replacement for cop on. Look at Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Couldn't believe she got away with it. Imagine an MoJ commenting like that on any other case not involving a TD?

Keoghs or O’Donnells are a way better crisp.

Politics in Ireland is all about short term people pleasing of the masses around the current “quick wins”.

If the future of politics in Ireland is this mash up of woke, bland and short term thinkers then we are all goosed.

The woman comes across as being on brand and hard working etc but where are her ideas on crime prevention and real reform. Some scandalously short sentences handed out for serious sexual assaults and violent attacks.

A key role of politicians in Ireland is to offer no real change to facilitate your regular Joe or Mary with a lightening road to vent their own personal dissatisfaction on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not a fan of either of those Brands to be honest, Aldi do an excellent Sea Salt variety, excellent and much cheaper 😉

But on your other points 👌

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Indo are still picking at this, and Helen is still on the defensive..

Justice Minister Helen McEntee has disputed the Standards in Public Office Commission’s (Sipo) account of donations to her from Tayto Park owner Ray Coyle.

Internal Sipo emails show that commission officials raised concerns over the €4,200 political donation from Tayto Park owner Ray Coyle which was made in three cheques.

Sipo official Brian McKevitt recalled a conversation that he had with another official who told him that the minister’s parliamentary assistant told him that they were payments “from three of Ms McEntee’s uncles”.

However, Ms McEntee has now moved to dispute this account, saying that this was not said.

“I’m not accusing anybody of lying, I’m simply saying that was not said,” she said.

“There was no attempt to hide or not provide information, I’ve been very clear on this all along.”

Looks like this one isn't going away for her

Advertisement