Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG ZS EV - 72.6kWh Facelift

• 25-02-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ordered the new facelifted 72.6kWh MG ZS EV and if so, did you have to wait long for it or are you still waiting? Main reason for asking is that parents-in-law ordered an e-niro late last year and they sold their main car in early January on the basis that Kia said that they'd have the e-niro in early to mid-January. Roll on about 6 weeks later and there's still no sign of the e-niro and the inconveniences caused by false promises are growing greater by the day.

I understand the general delays with new cars being delivered due to the microchip issues however with MG not being a big seller (yet) in Ireland, I was wondering if anyone here has had the experience of purchasing a new MG ZS EV in the past couple of months? If you have taken ownership, was it a quick turnaround from ordering to receiving it?

It seems like a fantastic car for the price and the Exclusive trim (will anyone actually buy the Excite trim????) really does have all the bells and whistles.

Parents-in-law are considering cancelling their Kia order but there's no point in doing so if they're just going to join the back of a queue for MG, which could be even longer in the long run, especially with the latest glocal developments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MG cannot keep up with demand globally , they are a very fast growing brand

waiting period for an MG is about nine months , much longer than an E NIRO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If they could get enough cars in lots to meet demand they would be one of the best selling cars right now. Currently the wait time is looking at Jan 23 at the earliest.

You might get some joy with a short range one. MG did drop a few hundred in the UK a week or two ago for garages to sell right away. Small chance any dealer here got one but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Nearly a year wait - wow. I'll be sure to tell the parents-in-law to stay in the e-niro queue. Thank you both

I've test driven the MG ZS, was really impressed but E Niro is probably superior ,more expensive obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Was actually in with my local MG dealer today. Told be October for an Exclusive.

If you're gonna wait that long, may as well wait until January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

That's our plan, if it was August or even early September we'd take it, but after that we'll wait til January.

I was very impressed with spec and drive of the MG. Price point is right for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

We were looking at the MG ZS as well and were really impressed by it. 3 weeks ago we were told October at best and probably January for delivery. Went to our local Kia garage and test drove a second hand eNiro - they told us they had 3 unallocated eNiro's coming in and when we did the numbers with him it was only € 600 more for the eNiro versus the ZS. MG were giving very poor trade in values. Ordered last Saturday and should have it next week once the SEAI grant goes through.

thought their was a bigger gap in price ?

cousin of mine has a red MG ZS ordered since first week of January , 35400 straight deal with 2.9% PCP

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

He got a great deal - I know it went up € 1,000 at the end of January. We were quoted an on the road price of € 37,900 with metallic.

We had a trade in - your cousin probably got cash discount. Kia gave us €2,500 extra on trade in which really helped close the gap

We ordered the MG ZS EV Exclusive today. Had a look under the bonnet and SO much room....turns out MG have partnered with an Irish company to develop a frunk option. Saw a pic of the prototype and the space is massive.

Post edited by budhabob on

• Advertisement

ZS has gone up to 36k. Eniro has also gone up to 42k.

The kicker is the trade in, if the Kia dealers will give you 6k more for your trade in then it makes the price isn't the deal maker.

I'd still go for the MG, you are getting a car that is matching the 50-70k cars spec wise. But what that says is that the premium versions of the ID4 and inoniq 5 are just adding 15k EV tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

No way you can compare the ZS to a VW or Hyundai/Kia product, especially the Ioniq 5. Some of the fit and finish in the ID3 may be comparable but both the ZS and ID3 are in a similar price bracket.

I would probably have bought a ZS over an e-Niro but for the appalling trade-in value offered to me by an MG dealer on my old car (like many others on here). The €7k difference between the lower spec ZS and the e-Niro was reduced to €2k - even less with metallic paint.

I would probably have gone for the ZS at a €4k to €5k differential but not at what was offered to me. I would have bought with the acceptance that the ZS is a budget car with some short comings in quality etc and obviously residual value.

Why not? If you look at the spec on the MG. Glass sunroof, MG pilot, blind spot warning, cross traffic warnings, vehicle to load, 360 cameras.

Looking at the ID4's spec you have to go all the way up to the ID4 family at 58k to come close to the MG's spec and you still don't get vehicle to load or a 360 camera.

Same with Ioniq 5. You would have to get the premium plus at 54-65k.

I'm not saying the MG is a 50-60k car. I'm saying the ID4 and Ioniq 5 are about 15k over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does the roof just slide open and closed, or does it have the tilt option?

But MG don't yet have the status of Hyundai to charge similar prices just like Hyundai can't charge Audi prices

That MG offer terrific spec for 35 k is kind of irrelevant in this context

Dacia provides incredible spec even cheaper than MG

I really like MG and the Ioniq 5 BTW

Some people buy Lidl brand butter, others pay over twice as much for kerrygold because they know the name. But it all tastes the same on my toast.

I don't look at it like Aldi butter is inferior. I see kerrygold as over charging.

Same here, MG are hitting a fair price for the spec. The others are over charging.

Now I'm unsure whether I made the right choice with the ZS or whether I should have bought 4tonne of kerrygold?!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I know it has a good spec and a large battery, but that is only a grand less than a base model Ioniq 5 on the road. Which is a far superior car which will simply depreciate less and there is probably not much difference in the real life range between them.

I've been saying for years that the Chinese are coming and I have absolutely no problem with that, most cheaper EVs sold in the EU in 10 years time will be Chinese made, maybe even sooner. But for now they will have to mainly compete on price and they will have to do significantly better than incumbents who have better cars.

range test at maximum 80kmph , average 71kmph, 3 degrees at night with lights on. A bit of sleet for the last third of the test.

371kmph. That is a hugely respectable result.

What are the official figures? I can't find it on the MG website, just did a google and it tells me the 72.6kWh MG ZS has a 319km WLTP range (198 miles)? Surely that's not right, that is extremely inefficient. The 58kWh Ioniq 5 has a 384km WLTP range.

Now I'm always the first to say efficiency in EVs is not that important, but this car is advertised as "long range", where the Ioniq is advertised as the shorter range car. And if the big battery is of no benefit here, are we expected to pay the same for a ZS as for an Ioniq 5, just for some extra spec?

• Advertisement

No it's not. It's 15% above its WLTP range. You can do that with pretty much any car out there in those circumstances. Petrol, diesel or EV.

Hyundai Ioniq 28kW (the original) was hypermiled to well over 100% above its WLTP range. That is a hugely respectable result

We will disagree.

At 3 degrees on winter tyres it is a hugely respectable result.

But you are giving up a lot of nice extras to move to a very basic inoniq (spec wise, it's still fancy). Vehicle to load, leather seats, panoramic sunroof, and the extra battery size/range. Along with a bunch of other less big ticket items.

You could make an argument that the buyer may not care about any of those items which is fair.

But if that is the case, I'd turn that argument around and say before they buy the base inoniq 5 they should look at the base Standard range MG which is a similar spec ( smaller battery, the fabric seats and no sunroof) and only 29k. They would still get the V2L that is standard across all models.

The inoniq 5 might be nice, but is it 10 grand nicer? I guess that is a matter of taste.

Less range, not more. V2L is nice, but a simple DIY solution does the job for €100 (unless you need huge loads). Leather is overrated (coming from someone who has had leather in most of their cars, particularly when the kids were young). Sunroof, most people take it or leave it. I like it myself but it's no biggy.

The Ioniq 58kWh is €39k on the road. My sister in law just bought one. So only a grand or two more than the MG ZS. For a car that will have substantially lower total cost of ownership. And probably a better ownership experience (Korean cars have long warranties and are better build than any other cars in the world)

It sounds like I'm playing devil's advocate here in the ZS thread, but potential buyers need to be very aware of what's what. Paying thousands extra for a few small extra features in what most people would consider a less desirable car.

That's my point if you don't care about the extra's in the top spec ZS then why would you buy it? Go for the €29k version that is still higher spec than the €39k inoniq 5 and comes with the same 7 year warranty.

Take that €10,000 you save and stick a nice big solar panel on the roof.

The €29k ZS (on the road price?) has a tiny range though compared with the Ioniq 5? Or are my figures all wrong here?

You might be thinking of the old one (the one with the charge flap that folds up). That is a real "budget" offering and feels like it. I think that was a very low range it had a 42kw battery and the range was something silly like 220km.

The 2022 facelift model is much better.

The facelift Standard Range one has a 51kw battery and a WLTP of 320km. Which is decent for €29k (The long range €37k one does 440km).

The inoniq 5 does do about 40-50km more but it has a 58kw battery so you would expect to get a bit further.

Thanks Grumpypants, it looks like the WLTP figure I found was for the cheaper lower range then, yes that makes a lot more sense. Not sure why MG don't just publish these figures on their website.

The SR hasn't officially launched here until march which might be why it's not up on the site yet.

They only started arriving in the UK in the middle of this month and I'd say they are all being snapped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vimalandrew

Okay, MG ZS will take at least one year. Is there any option to get an MG5 soon. It looks promising since it has 400km range.

Advertisement