Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZS EV - 72.6kWh Facelift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That's what I was told but I am already thinking maybe November because what's the point in looking at the summer with such ambiguous projections and unreliable updates?

I was told that the car dealer could hear nothing and get a call sometime stating that the cars are on the way. WTF is that about ? Like I get China does things differently, but how hard is to send a f**king email when the cars are ready (supposedly they are just waiting for one part) and that they will be shipped in days/weeks ? Seems very unprofessional from a layman perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Finally seeing some good signs. Boats landing this month with MGs. I saw in Facebook someone metion that Frank Keane told them they had at least 10 landing. Rang my own dealer who said the boat is coming this month but they were no sure what was on it. They would not know until they are unloaded and assigned.

But someone should be happy in the next 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed it's me 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Excellent news, it'd be nice to see some of the road and hear back from experiences etc.

I was actually onto our dealer yesterday enquiring about the charger - getting Solar PV later this year. He was still targetting October delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's different from what I'm hearing, July delivery for early January orders now looking like September arrival?

Even January orders would be on a long way down the list behind the Oct/Nov/Dec orders. We are also unlikely to get enough on this boat (or even the next boat) to meet those orders if the UK is anything to go by. Lots of MG5, ZS SR, and petrol models arriving with a small few of the ZS LR EVs.

I'm a Dec order due in March then May, so fingers crossed they have one for me.

Two vehicle carriers landed in Dublin in the last few days. Fingers crossed that MG have some on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sometimes sales people don't want to give bad news as you might cancel and buy a car from elsewhere. Also if car is not actually built and assigned rolling lockdowns in china, ports being closed for 3 weeks, all add to uncertainty of predicting the future. Then shipping times can vary particularly if being unloaded in UK instead of Cork. They often switch production models depending on component stock so for example they may drop options off car and ship without things it's supposed to have. There is worldwide chaos in supply chain and many timelines promised on parts are not being met. Imagine thousands of suppliers and sub suppliers all in lockdown and positive cases of staff.

I was just reading a UK forum on there trials and tribulations of ZS deliveries. Seem nearly worse than Ireland but at least with some deliveries.

The lack of any confident dates is worse than potential / unlikely dates.

Was listening to the podcast last night. Massive semi conductor shortages in general, then the war in Ukraine meant 51% of the entire world's wire harnesses are not being made, so they are harder to get and more expensive. Plus a lot of the gas needed for semi conductor production plus the lithium for batteries also comes from Ukraine/Russia....then Shanghai is hit with a COVID lock down.

Pretty much one of those would cause issues but when they all hit it's devastating.

But they are making them and shipping them. The issue for us I guess will be we are a small right hand drive market. They build in batches so it prob makes sense to build more of the left hand drive short range lower spec ones with the components you have, and send them to Europe, than the RHD high spec ones for here.

• Advertisement

Ya, very much perfect storm territory.

You have to feel for the dealers, a chance to make hay with the demand but supply is strangling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

The next ship with the best bet of having MG's on it is the Grand Victory.

Its currently off the south coast of Portugal and due into the UK on 08/05/22.

It should dock there for a day or so and then head over to Port in Zeebrugge, Belgium, where most European (inc Ireland) imports come into. If we are lucky then it will unload onto a smaller transport (cause the transports coming from China a massive and i don't think they can fit in Dublin Port!) normally one of the "something Highways" (maybe the Weser Highway or the Elbe Highway) where it will then delivery to Dublin port.

This is how it normally happens, Ireland doesn't get a ship directly from China and the cars don't come in from the UK because of Brexit.

Cars are coming into the UK but its very hit and miss. Dealers don't know what they are getting normally until a car transport arrives outside their showrooms. The MG ordering\tracking system is by all accounts useless. MG cant give a clear indication on when cars will be produced as they simply dont know.

Best guess from what I've read on the UK forum is that anybody who ordered a car late 2021 (oct, nov, dec) would hope to have delivery by Sept 2022. Anybody who ordered Jan & Feb 2022 might hope to see it in 2022, and after this you can probably expect 2023 delivery.

I ordered in early Jan 2022 and was told April\May but then this jumped to "Maybe" November 2022.

MG are currently just trying to produce cars, regardless of spec or range. If they have enough raw materials to produce 1 Long Range Exclusive or make 2 short range excites, they are going to produce the 2 cars as its better financially. So a lot of the Long Range cars (which is all that was being ordered by Irish MG dealers between Oct 2021 and Feb\March 2022) are not being delivered as MG will use the parts on multiple short range cars instead.

They are building LR units but maybe only a few hundred a month instead of thousands.

Anyway, its hard for everyone, and I know there is a lot of frustration out there as people just want their cars. I'd love to have mine, it kills me every time I put Diesel into my current car as its gone up €40 a fill! & I could be saving this and a lot more each month (I'd save approx. €220 per month if I had the EV now). All anybody can do now is wait as nobody but MG can change this.

I've started a wishlist of the things I'd like to get done to mine once I have it and started preparing for this:

1 - Tint the windows

2 - Wrap the Roof and wing mirrors in matt black (I ordered a silver exclusive) - Anybody know any good wrappers in Dubin?

3 - Install RGB LEDs in around the sunroof (plug it into the usb port behind the rearview mirror) - LED's & USB Splitter were delivered today.

4 - Remove the hubcaps and get MG centre wheel caps. I can get these from Wish\Geek

5 - Install wind deflectors and mudflaps - Ebay and dealer

6 - If I can after all this, replace any halogen bulbs with LED's

7 - EV Accessories Ireland are currently trying to create a FRUNK for this model and if the price is right, might see about one of these as well.

Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions on simple\easy mods to make?

I'll have enough to do just figuring out just charging the thing let alone any modifications.

Cheers for the info & insights above though.

I don't mind the delays but I wish we had a real time line. Even if they told you it was built and will be shipped in the next 8 weeks.

But now it could pop up next week, it could be next year.

But still, and with rising prices on all other similar models it's the best bang for buck out there.

Same as that - a firm timeline irrespective of what the time actually is, would be very welcome. We're getting solar PV installed in the next couple of months so will be ready.

Fyi there's not a huge cost increase getting the zappi rather than the EO mini if ye do have solar.

if it were me . Id be buying the new Renault EV which will be soon launched , too much messing with the MG in terms of delays , Renault not hugely more expensive

• Advertisement

It's tempting to pull the plug but there is no point if I end up having to wait until next year for a different brand. Might as well stick it out now. Not in a mad panic, thankfully I went the trade in to the garage route so I'm not stuck without a car not do I have a private buyer waiting on me either. Car I have will do the job for a few more months.

dont think so , ive heard in or around 43 k , looks great and reviews are strong , not that I think its likely to be any better to the MG ZS but this constant goal post shifting will annoy people and they will vote with their feet

I wonder will MG stay good on the 2.9% PCP deal ? , interest rates starting to rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Renault won't be below 45/46 I'd say.

Nice chunk of change there cancelling orders.

You'd be mad. And Renault have no construction either. In fact they stopped construction. Supply chain. You'd be mad , did I say that already :)

• Advertisement

Renault paused production as they ran out of parts. VW have announced that they won't have any models available until 2023.

The delay is annoying. But I'll stick with it. As mentioned it's the not knowing.

If I'm waiting for a bus and the bus stop says it's 25 mins away I'm much happier than being at a old fashioned bus stop with no update. Even if the bus is only ten mins away I've no idea how long I've to wait, if it's delayed, if I already missed it. I just have to wait in limbo and hope.

Not ZS specific, but my query might apply to others.

I currently have a nextbase dashcam which will be moved to the ZS. Given the usb located at the rear view mirror I won't bother getting it wired....problem is, I can't seem to find a short appropriate USB cable to keep it neat. All seem to be min 30cm. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Amazon have plenty of 10 & 15cm USB cables. Buy one?

When I last went looking 30cm was the shortest I could find for the connection type.

Just looked again for 10cm mini usb and a few came up, no idea what happened the last time I went searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Just tuck the extra cable up into the Headliner where you cant see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s very easy to cut USB cables to take length of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Crimping them back to working condition afterwards might be a little more difficult though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you don’t need to crimp them.

just cut out the section you don’t need. You only need power. , so just 2 wires to join, just solder them, and sleeve them.

You can get a 6 inch cable. Plenty long enough 😉

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-6in-Micro-USB-Cable-Black/dp/B003YKX6WM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=12A617YG2H90G&keywords=6+inch+usb+cable&qid=1652790567&sprefix=6+inch+usb%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-3

So with all other EV producers seemingly pausing production, i wonder will that free up chip access for MG with large stock constructed. I had expected to hear of cars arriving or more firmed up dates for some people at this stage.

• Advertisement

Hopefully. But Annoyingly they seem to have managed to build and ship lots of standard range that no one had ordered but not the long range that are on order since November.

Dealer in the UK on the podcast said MG rang and asked if he wanted 60 short range. They were available for anyone to pop in and take.

Still only a trickle of LR making it over. They have stopped taking new orders for the petrol, the mg 5 (due to facelift coming), and now the ZS until they can get the lead time from 9 months down to 4 months.

It's typical, the first time (and prob last time) in my life I am in a position to buy a new car and they can't make one 🤣

When you say "they" have stopped taking ZS orders until lead time is down to 4 months - that's the UK approach I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

No prices for the Megane ETech have been released? have they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 theinferior

I saw the following posted on the Irish EV Facebook group so said I would share here;

Just a point of interest on MG EVs :

Installed a charger recently and the technician asked if I had an MG. I haven’t one. 

He said ‘Good, because they can detect the noise that comes with a wireless modem through a Zappi hub and they won’t charge’.

If you’re having this problem you need to go to the dealer and upgrade the car software. 

Perhaps if the hub is hardwired into a wired internet point it might overcome it too, but you should ask your hub installer.

I got the charger installed a few months back. I just need the car now to check 🤣🤣

Did you go with the EO mini or did you upgrade for the zappi?

You were due your ZS in May weren't you? Any updates received?

I got the EO one. Didn't know you could upgrade to a zappi. Still the EO is nice and small which is good as it's near the front of the house.

Yeah was due march, then may. Still no update.

I've seen mixed reports on the UK forums. From MG are not taking any more orders until they get the time down, to MG have stopped production due to the issues getting parts.

• Advertisement

When might those who ordered early January expect delivery?

Spotted this post over on the Facebook ev group. 550km round trip to visit 52 GAA grounds for charity in an MGZS.

One charge in lahinch that cost €17 and ended with 10%.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/3160389207535679/?app=fbl

Spotted that alright, decent enough performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Brought one for a drive recently, has anyone else found the seats very narrow, in the front especially?

Very tight along the left leg for the driver position, which isn't helped by the brake/accelerator pedal positioning.

In terms of value for money in comparison to similar cars, it's a serious bargain, if you can fit in it that is

I'm not a small fella and I didn't find that when I took it for a spin

Yeah no issue here and I'm no shrinking violet. The older one was a bit tighter maybe it was the older model you took out? It has the black grill on the front.

Listening to the podcast on Monday and Miles (dealer) said all 87 of the short range they got in the week before were now sold.

I'm not sure what is a normal amount but that sounds like a decent number for a week in a dealer. All brand new. They were the cheaper short range ones (28-31k).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

It was definitely the new one, high spec leather seats, edging is very high on the seat which makes it tighter.

I'm a 32inch waist so not a whale. But overall it was a tight space which is fine for short trips but I wouldn't fancy it over a longer journey on a motorway etc.

Im 6ft4 and a half and had no issue fitting into it

Irish based range test here - points to WLTP being reasonably accurate on a decent day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TxUF7Axjprg&feature=youtu.be

Hurray for starting at 100% charge 🤣. I've watched a few range tests and you would be amazed at how many don't start at 100%.

I'd love to see what it would have ended up at. Good chance it would have blitzed the 440km on city driving. Low speed and lots of regen in traffic.

It's a lot to ask I know he could have been another 3-4 hours driving just to prove what we already know, that the MG has a decent range.

I'm just FURIOUS he didn't give an update on deliveries 🤣😅

• Advertisement
Advertisement