Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZS EV - 72.6kWh Facelift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭gripcasey

Ordered it in Jan 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Ordered Feb. From the time of order October was always our target delivery date. I've followed up every 6 weeks and no delays reported. Last week's meeting with MG obviously a change in information provision

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

MG are a total joke. Their website makes it appear that u can just go buy one. No mention or face-lift either.

Then u arrange a test drive and they fully know they have no stock yet they waste ur time with a test drive and then tell u "by the way we have no idea when we can get u one of these. Could be a year or more"

Pack of wasters. They literally have no clue when cars will arrive and have a massive backlog. So if u want one put your finger in the air

Ms

Well on the plus side its better having a new car at the beginning of a new year than the end of one. Hope you get it eventually.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So you will have been waiting over a year for it then.

Well on the plus side its better having a new car at the beginning of a new year than the end of one. Hope you get it eventually.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

I really dont understand how mg Ireland dont get more, they seem to be coming into the UK with more frequency now, if Ireland got 1 or 2 full car transports that would probably sort out most back orders. Ordered in Jan 22, was told delivery for Nov 22, I dont think I can wait until Q1 23, if that happens I’ll never buy an MG or from Linders either, and I’ll let everybody know about it as well.

Not defending MG or Linders, but this is far from unique. I know of Audi orders who had deposits returned as they had no date. If MG/Linders had just improved / had proactive comms I'd be happier even with the delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lots of reports on other brands jacking up prices and just telling customers to pay up or cancel the order.

At least with MG the price was agreed. Even though they have had two price hikes since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

In early 2019 my local Hyundai dealer didn't know when more Ioniq 28s would come.

But yet Ioniqs randomly arrived over the year in 2019.

Including the one I now own - granted I didn't buy it new but still.....

Seems to be an issue with factories in Asia and communications with Ireland.

Its just that Hyundai being much more established - they get more slack and forgiveness.

Then MG who from an Irish prospective are new kids on the block and thus this is seen as a reflection of MG as a company.

Rather then as with Hyundai, VW and others - worldwide issues with supply chains.

Much also depends on how proactive MG Ireland are in dealing with the MG HQ in China.

Remember that MG Ireland aren't actually MG themselves - its effectively Frank Keane as a company getting the right to be official importer for MG in Ireland.

I get it, i really do understand but it’s frustrating, just so frustrating, ive just spend €480 getting my 191 focus diesel (being used as a trade in) serviced, i’ll probably have to tax it as well in 2 month, then spend more money on tires as well in a few months, its expenses i didnt plan on having, when your being told all through the year that your delivery is on schedule for November and now it could be up to March 23 I just start to loose all hope of ever seeing it. I also understand that nobody has actually said my order will be moved but it would be just my luck!

Im going to check in with Linders next week when im home from holiday and see what the realistic expectation is going to be from dealer, fingers 🤞

Been into Linders today to check on the status of my order. No change. Linders have had no notification of any additional delays on their orders being pushed into Q1 2023, in fact, they are expecting 30 deliveries toward October (maybe). As soon as the order status changes then I'll be notified and was told that once the order state changes its usually 4-6 weeks for delivery. So hopefully this is the final straight for me and a few others waiting at Linders.

A lady on Facebook got the following update from Linders:

I called Linders yesterday and they are waiting on a response from MG which is apparently due early next week. Considering arrival was meant to be end of Aug, early Sept and they don't know yet , highly likely another delay 🙈

I rather your update Farrell's, so I'll hold out hope for my October delivery date

It’s nicer to hope that they will get a large delivery soon. until they materialize we can only but wait, in the mean time im just going to keep going in and remind myself what im waiting for, maybe if i go in enough they’ll just give me one to get rid of me 🤣

Apparently the ZS is getting another upgrade for the end of 2024. So realistically 2025. 4 wheel drive and boosts to the tech, and styling more in line with the MG4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A friend has a ZS on order for what seems like an age. He sent me a screen shot of an email he got on the 19th of August from a main dealer. As it's not my car or order and the salesperson who sent it can easily be identified I'd prefer share the wording of the email rather than the actual screen shot.

"Hi XXXXX,

We attended an MG event up in Meath last week with MG Ireland head office staff and reps from dealerships all around Ireland. We were informed of delays with over 500 orders for the Rep. of Ireland. MG have told us clearly they have NO ETA for any of the cars coming. They have no estimated time of delivery for any of the cars until they are physically loaded onto the ship for transport. Once loaded they will inform us. After we are informed there will be a two month wait for the cars to arrive in Ireland. It is frustrating from our part as we have fullfilled everything we can in ordering the cars. We have made the decision to gaurantee your trade in price and the price of the cars regardless of any price or budget impacts. This obviously means we will potentially be absobing on a loss on all sales. However we feel it is right. However, if at any point you wish to have your deposit back or you wish to purchase a difrerent brand one of our franchises we will extend a generous discount in your favour. We are aware some customers can't wait. ..." etc etc

I'd advise anyone still being fobbed off with a delivery date to follow it up. I have the screen shot, if a mod here wants to PM their number I'll forward it for confirmation however it is NOT for sharing as everyone involved can be identified.

It is bad to see them rolling out a new MG4 but still not able to deliver the ZS.

My friend contacted them wishing to change his order to preorder one. Sales guy didn't know anything about an MG4.

The plan now is to stick with the ZS and once he can order a 4 to do so and upgrade.

• Advertisement

Your friend should just stick with it at this stage, they have waited so long now. Its what im going to do (5th Jan 2022 order).

For those who have received their ZS....was it worth the wait?

As said above he is holding out for the ZS but as soon as the order books open for the MG4 he will place down an order. Reckons it will take another 12 months for that to arrive and either prices rising and demand too he reckons it'll be a very cheap upgrade. I can see his point.

Yeah it's a great car in fairness. Really like driving around in it. Lots of room for the family and really economical.

Few quirky bits in the infotainment software, but nothing an update wouldn't sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HS99

Just popped in to Linders there to follow up on my January order.

Said there's been no changes on the system and it should still arrive in October. Should expect a call in the next few weeks for the charge point to be installed 🤞

I wonder why Linders seem in a different position re comms then others. Unless they had less orders on the books and with the divide out can meet their listing?

• Advertisement

I contacted Linders today to enquire when we might be able to arrange charger install - getting external insulation done end of September so ideally we'd align both. Was told installer will contact me next week so October deliveries seem to still be on target - or at the vary least they have no info to the contrary. But they seem willing to pay for charger which is a positive sign.

Post edited by budhabob on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Be careful with external insulation and anything that's being moved like a charger or a wall tap.

My very best advice is to have a wooden block built that will attach to the wall first. Make it the same depth as the EPS so probably 100mm. And then they can render the block flush with the rest of the wall. Your charger should be mounted to the block.

This is the most fool proof method to not damage your insulation or it's final finish. It's how I mounted my outside water taps.

Long fittings just make it likely for movement and early render failure.

Cheers for the advice. Will definitely do that for the taps etc. Plan for the zappi is to put it on a boundary wall next to front door to avoid external insulation challenges.

Would anybody know if I can have my charger installed inside a porch instead of outside on an external wall?

I have a patio door\sliding porch door on the front of the house and a small porch, then the main front door inside this. I would prefer to have the charger installed inside the porch so i can lock it when its not being used\when Im not home and reduce the risk of tampering.

The main fuseboard for the house is inside the house on the same wall just inside the porch so all a sparks should have to do is drill a small hole to feed the cables through and then mount the charger to the other side of the wall. If I get a 5m charge cable I would have no problem charging the car in the drive and can then lock the porch door when finished. Most of my charging will be in work as we have 5x 22kw chargers recently installed to use for free (at the moment). I dont know about my fuseboard if it will need upgrading for the extra load, sparks will need to take a look at that, but just curious if the charger has to be external or if it can be internal if i want it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You can have a charger installed wherever you want. Plenty have them inside a garage and not outside. I charge my car from inside the porch too using a granny cable but the principle is the same as what you are asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leaves your porch open overnight though.

I don't see the point tbh. Have it installed with antitheft screws and forget about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The free charger I got with mine is the SyncEV, which has the facility to lock it to authorised use only (via app, or with an RFID card) so no-one else can use it except you. I'd imagine most chargers have something similar. Or are you concerned about physical tampering?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Someone here had a chargepoint stolen before .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

iirc, that was a windup thread that got deleted.

Thats interesting, I suppose it depends on the charger offered. If its possible I'd like to get something that can be locked out like that but also small concern about tampering as well. I dont plan doing a lot of charging at home as we have free charging in work so wont be using the home charger a lot (or at all if i can help it!) so would prefer it in the porch just to reduce any possibility of tamper, it would be out of the way, avoid the elements and I can lock the door to void tamper. From the sounds of it it shouldnt be a problem getting it in, but would be nice if i can lock it out as well. Thanks.

I got the EO Mine Pro from MG and there is an option in the app to disable the charger so no EV can charge off it until you unlock it again.

Passed the 3000km mark with a 350km round trip to Tralee this weekend, made it home with 60km left on the range. That trip is half motorway and plenty of hills.

But I'm consistently getting a real world 400+ km range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That range is excellent. I went and did test drive there on Friday. Loved almost everything about the car. Sadly however, i just felt the seat was too narrow. I'm coming from a Honda Insight which is a much smaller footprint car, but has a much larger seat overall. It would just feel too uncomfortable for anything more than short drives

Have no idea what car to look at now.

The seat is memory foam so it's firm/tight for about a week then it gets nice and soft and fits snugly around you butt 😄.

I did notice it initially, especially the bucket edges, but after a few days they did start to soften. Now it's gone nice and soft. Bit like a new pair of runners that takes a few days to break in.

But it doesn't get too squishy and it still holds you in place. Normally after 30 mins my back is acting up. But I've done 2-3-4+ hour drives in this without issue.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Advertisement

Far, far TMI, but something I noticed initially was my right bum cheek felt odd. I realised after a few drives that I wasn't "centering" myself in the seat before taking off, and that's made all the difference. After sliding in, I now lift my bum a little to get myself in the middle, and it's made all the difference. Not sure if it's the material, or the high sides, but until it's broken in this can help.

Fantastic feedback. What speed were you doing on the motorway may I ask?

I still haven't heard any different so hoping for October Delivery with Linders

119.9 😜

It was Mixed, I did start with an eye of doing it at 100-110 to protect the range, I knew I'd be doing a 150+ trip each way.

But I soon gave up and did most at 120. Just looking at the guessometer I lost 100km of range after doing 85km. So it does impact it by around 15km. But I also gained a few km back coming down the hills into Kerry. 😄

But it wouldn't be far off if your whole trip was motorway at 120kmph to knock off 15km per 100km of range and come in around the 360km mark.

I've done round trips from Galway to West Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick with little worry, and not needed a top up.

I added up the total put in from my charger since I got it, and it's about €80. Another €15 on public charging and a few decent top ups in work for free. But that's pretty good going for well over 3200km for under €100.

Savage car.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

Cheers GP.

I'm really excited to get ours I must say....I'm hoping that October delivery is still on target. I contacted Linders 3 weeks ago to query charger install and they put me straight in contact with the installer, taking that as a good sign.

Just been into Linders myself and advised I could get the charger installed now but I cant apply for the SEAI Grant yet until I have the car reg. Advised that its probably better to wait until I at least know its comming for sure so that way Im not out of pocket too long. I assume then I pay the installers E600 and MG cover the rest with the installers as part of the Free installation, I then claim the E600 back from SEAI? Can anybody tell me how long it took for them to get their application processed and paid so I have an idea?

Also saw a lovely 222 Blue ZS Exclusive in the car park of Tesco, its nice to see them in the wild!

Did they give any clarity on your October delivery date? Surely they know the car is on a boat.....or not.

As long as Linders are happy to put their hands in their pocket, you won't be down the 600 I don't think. SEAI recently changed the grant requirement so now you don't actually need an EV to get the charger grant.

TBH, I know Im getting the car shortly. I contacted MG Ireland directly last week and got a nice reply:

We are receiving vehicles into Ireland on a very small and slow scale at the moment. Each vehicle that comes in is put to a priority list of customers who have ordered in 2021 and then we work chronologically to ensure it is fair and no one is “skipping the que”. You are actually within the next 3 people on this list so you will more than likely be getting a call from Linders in the coming days to discuss your options.

Basically, I have a few ZS’s on a boat arriving into Ireland shortly but unfortunately they do not match the specification ordered by the first couple of people on the list. So we are offering the customers the choice of swapping their original order for what is available or they can decide to wait for their original order which will be arriving in 2023 (we do not have confirmed dates for any vehicles). At the moment I am waiting on 2 customers to come back to me, if one of those customers decides to wait on their original order, then Linders will be in contact with you to offer you a vehicle. If they both agree to swap, then I will have to wait on the next boat to start moving down the priority list again.

I havent heard anything yet and this reply was last week so i can only assume that both customers agreed to swap and I have to wait for the next boat but I'm basically next?! (🤞), as soon as I get a call from Linders I can get the ball rolling on the charger then and have it ready for when I get car. I'll let you know when I hear more, but anybody know how long it takes SEAI to process a grant application, last I heard it was about 3-5 months but that was when the grant was first setup so hope that they have gotten faster.

If I remember right when I put in the charger originally I paid the €600 then claimed it back. But I had the car so not much of await.

With MG the charger is free you just pay to install it. Which coincidentally is €600. Will take maybe two weeks so I don't see much point hanging around. Better have the charger and no car than the car and no charger.

@farrells thanks for that update, and good to see a much fairer approach from MG Ireland. I won't hold out hope of an October delivery so, 2023 much more likely.

• Advertisement

I got the automated "we have received all your paperwork" email from SEAI on July 28th, and the money was just paid into my account on Monday - 26th September. The original email said

"SEAI has now received all documentation required to begin processing your grant payment request. Please allow for up to 6 to 8 weeks for your payment to be received."

It was just about the 8 weeks. My installation cost a little bit more than the €600 (around €800 I think) as I have a heat pump, and therefore needed a load balancer fitted as well.

Due to appointment mishaps, I had the car a week or two before the charger, but it wasn't an issue for me as I wasn't going very far during those few weeks anyway.

Advertisement