Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG ZS EV - 72.6kWh Facelift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

The next ship with the best bet of having MG's on it is the Grand Victory.

Its currently off the south coast of Portugal and due into the UK on 08/05/22.

It should dock there for a day or so and then head over to Port in Zeebrugge, Belgium, where most European (inc Ireland) imports come into. If we are lucky then it will unload onto a smaller transport (cause the transports coming from China a massive and i don't think they can fit in Dublin Port!) normally one of the "something Highways" (maybe the Weser Highway or the Elbe Highway) where it will then delivery to Dublin port.

This is how it normally happens, Ireland doesn't get a ship directly from China and the cars don't come in from the UK because of Brexit.

Cars are coming into the UK but its very hit and miss. Dealers don't know what they are getting normally until a car transport arrives outside their showrooms. The MG ordering\tracking system is by all accounts useless. MG cant give a clear indication on when cars will be produced as they simply dont know.

Best guess from what I've read on the UK forum is that anybody who ordered a car late 2021 (oct, nov, dec) would hope to have delivery by Sept 2022. Anybody who ordered Jan & Feb 2022 might hope to see it in 2022, and after this you can probably expect 2023 delivery.

I ordered in early Jan 2022 and was told April\May but then this jumped to "Maybe" November 2022.

MG are currently just trying to produce cars, regardless of spec or range. If they have enough raw materials to produce 1 Long Range Exclusive or make 2 short range excites, they are going to produce the 2 cars as its better financially. So a lot of the Long Range cars (which is all that was being ordered by Irish MG dealers between Oct 2021 and Feb\March 2022) are not being delivered as MG will use the parts on multiple short range cars instead.

They are building LR units but maybe only a few hundred a month instead of thousands.

Anyway, its hard for everyone, and I know there is a lot of frustration out there as people just want their cars. I'd love to have mine, it kills me every time I put Diesel into my current car as its gone up €40 a fill! & I could be saving this and a lot more each month (I'd save approx. €220 per month if I had the EV now). All anybody can do now is wait as nobody but MG can change this.

I've started a wishlist of the things I'd like to get done to mine once I have it and started preparing for this:

1 - Tint the windows

2 - Wrap the Roof and wing mirrors in matt black (I ordered a silver exclusive) - Anybody know any good wrappers in Dubin?

3 - Install RGB LEDs in around the sunroof (plug it into the usb port behind the rearview mirror) - LED's & USB Splitter were delivered today.

4 - Remove the hubcaps and get MG centre wheel caps. I can get these from Wish\Geek

5 - Install wind deflectors and mudflaps - Ebay and dealer

6 - If I can after all this, replace any halogen bulbs with LED's

7 - EV Accessories Ireland are currently trying to create a FRUNK for this model and if the price is right, might see about one of these as well.

Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions on simple\easy mods to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'll have enough to do just figuring out just charging the thing let alone any modifications.

Cheers for the info & insights above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't mind the delays but I wish we had a real time line. Even if they told you it was built and will be shipped in the next 8 weeks.

But now it could pop up next week, it could be next year.

But still, and with rising prices on all other similar models it's the best bang for buck out there.

Same as that - a firm timeline irrespective of what the time actually is, would be very welcome. We're getting solar PV installed in the next couple of months so will be ready.

Fyi there's not a huge cost increase getting the zappi rather than the EO mini if ye do have solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if it were me . Id be buying the new Renault EV which will be soon launched , too much messing with the MG in terms of delays , Renault not hugely more expensive

• Advertisement

It's tempting to pull the plug but there is no point if I end up having to wait until next year for a different brand. Might as well stick it out now. Not in a mad panic, thankfully I went the trade in to the garage route so I'm not stuck without a car not do I have a private buyer waiting on me either. Car I have will do the job for a few more months.

dont think so , ive heard in or around 43 k , looks great and reviews are strong , not that I think its likely to be any better to the MG ZS but this constant goal post shifting will annoy people and they will vote with their feet

I wonder will MG stay good on the 2.9% PCP deal ? , interest rates starting to rise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Renault won't be below 45/46 I'd say.

Nice chunk of change there cancelling orders.

You'd be mad. And Renault have no construction either. In fact they stopped construction. Supply chain. You'd be mad , did I say that already :)

• Advertisement

Renault paused production as they ran out of parts. VW have announced that they won't have any models available until 2023.

The delay is annoying. But I'll stick with it. As mentioned it's the not knowing.

If I'm waiting for a bus and the bus stop says it's 25 mins away I'm much happier than being at a old fashioned bus stop with no update. Even if the bus is only ten mins away I've no idea how long I've to wait, if it's delayed, if I already missed it. I just have to wait in limbo and hope.

Not ZS specific, but my query might apply to others.

I currently have a nextbase dashcam which will be moved to the ZS. Given the usb located at the rear view mirror I won't bother getting it wired....problem is, I can't seem to find a short appropriate USB cable to keep it neat. All seem to be min 30cm. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Amazon have plenty of 10 & 15cm USB cables. Buy one?

When I last went looking 30cm was the shortest I could find for the connection type.

Just looked again for 10cm mini usb and a few came up, no idea what happened the last time I went searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Just tuck the extra cable up into the Headliner where you cant see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s very easy to cut USB cables to take length of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Crimping them back to working condition afterwards might be a little more difficult though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you don’t need to crimp them.

just cut out the section you don’t need. You only need power. , so just 2 wires to join, just solder them, and sleeve them.

You can get a 6 inch cable. Plenty long enough 😉

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-6in-Micro-USB-Cable-Black/dp/B003YKX6WM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=12A617YG2H90G&keywords=6+inch+usb+cable&qid=1652790567&sprefix=6+inch+usb%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-3

So with all other EV producers seemingly pausing production, i wonder will that free up chip access for MG with large stock constructed. I had expected to hear of cars arriving or more firmed up dates for some people at this stage.

• Advertisement

Hopefully. But Annoyingly they seem to have managed to build and ship lots of standard range that no one had ordered but not the long range that are on order since November.

Dealer in the UK on the podcast said MG rang and asked if he wanted 60 short range. They were available for anyone to pop in and take.

Still only a trickle of LR making it over. They have stopped taking new orders for the petrol, the mg 5 (due to facelift coming), and now the ZS until they can get the lead time from 9 months down to 4 months.

It's typical, the first time (and prob last time) in my life I am in a position to buy a new car and they can't make one 🤣

When you say "they" have stopped taking ZS orders until lead time is down to 4 months - that's the UK approach I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

No prices for the Megane ETech have been released? have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

I saw the following posted on the Irish EV Facebook group so said I would share here;

Just a point of interest on MG EVs :

Installed a charger recently and the technician asked if I had an MG. I haven’t one. 

He said ‘Good, because they can detect the noise that comes with a wireless modem through a Zappi hub and they won’t charge’.

If you’re having this problem you need to go to the dealer and upgrade the car software. 

Perhaps if the hub is hardwired into a wired internet point it might overcome it too, but you should ask your hub installer.

I got the charger installed a few months back. I just need the car now to check 🤣🤣

Did you go with the EO mini or did you upgrade for the zappi?

You were due your ZS in May weren't you? Any updates received?

I got the EO one. Didn't know you could upgrade to a zappi. Still the EO is nice and small which is good as it's near the front of the house.

Yeah was due march, then may. Still no update.

I've seen mixed reports on the UK forums. From MG are not taking any more orders until they get the time down, to MG have stopped production due to the issues getting parts.

• Advertisement

When might those who ordered early January expect delivery?

Advertisement