Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They dereg it, put on a temporary export reg number, and your NL document matches the new temporary reg. Temp reg is good for 2 weeks.

I rode mine back (end of October).

Hand over NL docs as normal at VRT office, get Irish reg. Simples.

Another +1 here from me for Jarvis: I used him to export a car to Vienna, all went perfectly.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Does anyone know how it works for buying a new bike from Europe? Looking to buy in Germany. Am I correct in saying that I only have to pay VAT here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

...and VRT and transport... It would (most likely) cost allot more than buying here, plus your warranty will be more difficult to manage. Is the bike not available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Ducati dealership here didn't seem interested in making a sale at all, perhaps because they didn't have the particular model I wanted in stock. So my decision to buy in Germany not soley based on price.

That's a shame, I'm no expert, but my comment above still applies, it would probably be expensive. Is there someone else in the dealership you can deal with or possibly use the Northern Ireland dealer? Not sure if the can sell new bikes into the south or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I bought this in Eindhoven today. Going to RDW tomorrow with the seller to complete the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Technically, you should be able to buy the bike without German VAT (MwSt), but only if its shipped on a pallet/crate etc, by a shipping company.

If it's to be ridden away, you'll haven't pay German VAT and then reclaim it once you pay Irish VAT, here.

Some dealers don't want the hassle of the VAT refund, so check that first.

Warranty will be a bit of a gamble though, and even the first service (@1k kms)

Ultimately it will cost you more, but like you say, there are other things at play.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Deposit paid this morning, contracts signed and returned and arrangements made with transport co... It's a very scary process, but looking forward to having the bike at the end of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

what did you buy ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

👍️ cool

Just docking in Dublin now, VRT booked for 9am... some few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Outside the local

(Excuse the chain, it wasn't going in my backpack)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Nice one, how did you find the journey back on that kind of bike?

It was fine to be honest. Only 475kms over 2 days.

VRT done now too. **** 120 plate though.

All in all I spent about 1400, that's travel and hotels included. No way I'd get a clean '87 CBR600 for that in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver Cauldrons

plan to buy a bike from autoscout in September a Buell XB 1200 , any recommendations on a courier service that possibly picks up in Italy (Palermo)?

Do all of the NCT centres do VRT & registration? What's the process like? Do I need to book it in in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not all NCT centres do it. You need to book in advance.

The NCTS website has a section devoted to VRT and they answer all your questions on that part.

Its not hard but as with all bureaucratic processes make sure all the paperwork is correct before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd try get that registered as Multi-coloured. Makes it so much easier if you ever want/need to change body panels.

Jarvis Transport, Dublin

Can I point out one thing: make sure the NCT centre fill in ALL the required boxes - including Type Approval Number, Weight, Power (Kw) and Power:Weight Ratio (Kw/kg) boxes. Mightn't be an issue for you now, but if you ever sell or trade it, in can affect who can buy it as licences etc all tied into it. Lots of people out there with A2 licences etc.

Just went through this with my new bike and ended up getting VRO in Rosslare to correct it. Do not assume VRT office will see this info, they're not used to it being asked for it.

Make sure to scan/copy ALL of the paperwork you give to VRT office, before you hand it in, and have the VRT form filled in before you get there.

Here are the 4 fields that should be completed: G, K, P2, Q. All of this info is very clearly marked on the NL Kenteken card/documents.

I note even after 2 attempts, G is missing on mine, but the other 3 are more important

'Inaccurate' VLC to L.H.S, amended VLC to RHS

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Anyone here who may have bought from these chaps? https://superbikefactory.co.uk/

Looks like quite a collection. Will it attract duty?

You'll be paying 10% Customs, VRT, 23% VAT, plus fees and transport costs.

Oh, and Sterling.

Cant see the UK being competitive at all tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diffens

so basically

Buy bike, Jarvis Transport, VRT appointment, pay VRT on the day. when do you get a new licence plate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You get the number once you pay the vrt office. You can get plate made anywhere you desire

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diffens

thanks CJhaughey , i will be buying a 1200cc Buell XB12 , what sort of VRT will i be paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Heard some bad stories from there over the years.

Advertisement