Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

It will be taxed as a "new means of transport" if it is less than 6 months old OR has travelled 6,000 km or less.

It should be handy enough to have 6k kms on it before you present it for vrt if it has 4k kms on it when you buy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,231 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So either less than 6 months old OR 6000km or less on the clock is sufficient to be chargeable to VAT. Not a hope you can register a 2019 bike VAT free without 6000km on the clock

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Thanks for this, in both uses it does state *or*. The example I gave was only for illustration. I am looking at 2020/21 bikes with less than 6k mileage though. A lot less in some instances that I could hope to clock up in 30days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There was a thread someplace here recently on which "somebody" stated that privately buying a 10 year old private machine in the UK WAS still possible without needing to employ Import Agents/Forwarders etc... Has anybody a definitive on this ??

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Looking to import from germany, shipped over. The bike is a 2000 reg.

Am I right in thinking, the only paperwork I will need to register it here is the Zulassungsbescheinigung? And no vat will be payable, only vrt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ferry ticket/how it got into the state as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hey, just wondering if anyone paid VRT after a private sale. I need a "receipt". I was told I could use a hand written one. Is it literally a piece of paper I write myself with the guys name and price saying it's sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A hand written receipt from the seller with the name, address, amount etc is fine.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

Not true unfortunately. If it was we'd all be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Registered the bike I imported from France a few weeks ago, did it in the Naas NCT centre, staff were sound to deal with, didn't ask for a translated version of the documents (in fairness, they only need some info/values from it and its pretty obvious) which was my main concern.

There was a bit of confusion about the model numbers on Revenues system as its quite a rare bike, thought I'd have to go away and come back while Rev updated their systems but we found the correct model number after a bit of searching, so got it all sorted in one visit.

Overall, pretty painless (bar paying the VRT! 😂 )

I paid my vrt, only €100. But poor guy beside me was bringing in a bmw s1000xr from england didn't have the full log book. Hope he gets it sent to him or it's a world of pain. Really need to insist on the full log book when bringing it in from england

That was always the case even before Brexit so you'd think anyone importing from the UK would be on the ball in that regard.

Wonder if he used a customs agent and VAT had to be paid to get out of the port? Once it's assessed for VRT he may have to pay VAT on the VRT amount also...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its just not worth the hassle buying Brit bikes unless they are either stupendously rare or unbelievably cheap.

Yeah, don't understand buying British bikes myself when you have continental Europe right beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Maybe they don't want a left hand drive bike 😄

How after several decades people are still doing this escapes me: it's even written on the V5 that if exporting it, the new owner will need it....

Doesn't say much for the quality of 'research' on the subject by they buyer.........as for importing an S1000XR, don't even see the point, there's 12 of them for sale on DD today alone...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

He was also missing a sales receipt and a ferry ticket. Luckily I had my stuff in order. Well, enough for them to ignore anything not exactly right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I know that in Germany in particular, if you're buying a bike and riding it home, it needs to get a temporary registration plate from the local authority and then you can ride home and do the registration stuff with the NCT people. My understanding is that the new owner needs to be there to do the paperwork.

But what is the story if I bought a bike and had it shipped to me here? Does it still need a temporary German plate to get re-registered here even though it wouldn't be used? If not, then I would need to bring the bike to the NCT place on a trailer as it wouldn't have any plate on which to insure it.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That is correct. But you still need the seller to deregister the bike before handing it over. It's a simple process done locally. I imported my bike from Germany earlier this year. Is was fairly straightforward. Would recommend Jarvis for transport.

You don't need a plate to insure an import, you can insure on a VIN for a certain period (30 days IIRC in my case)

Go old school and get a bit of cardboard with "FOR REG" scrawled on it 😄

Thanks for that. If I do do it, it would be from a dealer.

Where would we be without oul' Reg? It's a long time since I've seen him around but he clearly used to be the most popular guy in the country - everyone was buying him cars and bikes and putting the message on their number plate! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

FOR REG on a new Honda back then.

"I got it from Reg Armstrong." 🙂

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Bikes in mainland Europe can be overpriced , for example Germany. Then you have to drive it all the way home going through multiple toll gates. You can get the tunnel to the UK , if not thats two Ferry tickets you have to pay for. It all ads up. As does the mileage.

UK bikes come with an MOT so you have buyer assurance it will be in good condition. More times than not the seller will van the bike to the Ferry port. Lastly , the pound is weak so there are great deals on used bikes atm.

Bringing a bike a long way back is fun. And it's usually even more fun using the roads which dodge the tolls.

German bikes tend to be extremely well kept and only see fine weather so worth paying a premium for.

UK MOT is corrupt as all fook! and don't forget the 23% VAT on top of your VRT.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Nope.

I brought back a 'Wing from Netherlands last October. No matter what way you swing it, the UK is now priced out of the market and the bikes aren't as clean.

Don't take tolls if you don't want to: lots of routes around them. I did a 50:50 mix.

And I loved the 1,100 km spin home.

And I've seen some atrocious 'MOT'd' bikes, so unless it's very new, very caveat, very emptor. There is no assurance or warranty implied - unless perhaps, you're buying from a main dealer for the marque.

Ferry with cabin Cherbourg - Dublin cost €184.00

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Nice - avoids the boring (if you stick to motorways) and expensive trip across the UK too.

Advertisement