Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My bike just arrived. Jarvis were sound and the bike was immaculate when I got here.

Theres an added bonus, that the bike has a centre stand which is not normal for this model, but it also has some sort of alarm that I wasn't expecting... Does anyone recognise it? Do I have to do anything in terms of operating it? It's shown in the image below with the three amber lights... Centre light blinks when the bike is off & there's a cap that reveals a connector of some sort...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We'll wear bluefoam.

Can't help with the alarm but give us a few better pics of that Guzzi!!

She's put away for the evening but here's some I got earlier...

Nice!

I always get a little niggle to buy a Guzzi.

Maybe someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Looks Fab

Well done :-) Ride safe

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That's not an alarm, Thats a Ctek pigtail for a charger to connect to. If its flashing yellow its time to charge your battery 12.4v-12.65v.

Green is fully charged and Red is below 12.4v

Thanks! I've had a look at chragers online & might order one...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Looks great. The more I see these, I feel EU import is the best way to find clean pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've my trip to collect the Blade organised. Fly to Poznan on April 20th, collect the bike that day but stay there for the night, next day to Hanover, stay there for the night. Long day then to Rotterdam, overnight ferry to Hull, drive to Liverpool (turns out I'm there for the Merseyside derby) stay for the night then ferry the following night to Dublin from there.

Flights, ferries and hotel coming in at €470. And I've a few days of riding in Europe

• Advertisement

Went to VRT the V7 today. They'd never heard of it and have no record of any 750cc (or variations there of) Moto Guzzi...

I have to wait for them to put it onto the system before I can get the registration... I must be the first to import one used.

I think their motorcycle database is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

All the best, nice one (wouldnt the Poznan to Hannover run be the longest one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yes, I had meant to say 'another' long day. Hanover is roughly the midpoint. Looking forward to it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

Hello Knowledgeable folks - what do you think about this one? Too much or in a reasonable bracket? There are some scratches etc...

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=340724890

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know of at least 2 in Galway, so they're just plain wrong. One is even the same colour as yours.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Were they imported second hand?

Anyways... got notice that they had processed everything yesterday evening, was at the VRT centre at 8am this morning and I now have a registration plate ready to fit! Excited!!!

One is used, one is brand new. So it's definitely on the VRO system.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Its like using any online system, look at fuelly for an example. You have one type of bike, say a Deauville NT650V for example.

If you look up Deauville 650, you find: NT650 Deauville (152 examples) NT650V (1) NT650V Deauville(5) so the same bike has been entered wrongly 3 times. Multiply that out across a whole heap of bikes and you have a load of crap info that someone in the VRT office has to try and make sense of without causing a problem and that's where the issues lie.

For a worse example look at the 700 Deauville, there are 7 instances of that in the database!

TLDR: Rubbish in = Bad database = Rubbish out

I think I know what caused the issue... The VRT lady was hyper focused on the fact that she read 'Piaggio' on the German logbook... I explained that its a Moto Guzzi in detail... But the new logbook says Piaggio... Not sure what difference it'll every make, but seems to explain why there was no Piaggio 750's on the system...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Get that changed. Contact Shannon and tell them the bike is incorrectly named/described on the reg cert.

The system will now be looking for a Piaggio MotoGuzzi 750 for the next poor sap that brings one in;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

Hi all, new here! This board has been super helpful so far.

I’m looking into importing from the EU myself & I have two questions.

1. I’ve read of export plates in this thread. What are they exactly? In general, will insurance cover an EU plate bike if I want to ride it home?
    2. When doing VRT, does anything need to be changed on the bike to get it registered in Ireland? I’ve heard a friend saying once the beamers might have different inclinations or something like that but no one mentioned it here to my relief.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some countries like Germany and, I think, Netherlands, the registration number can't be transferred to a new owner & the seller keeps the plates when selling. You need a temporary number plate if you're riding the bike home. In Germany anyway, this includes third party insurance for a certain time. If you are getting the bike home in a van then you don't need temporary plates or insurance.

In other countries the number plate stays with the bike and it only changes if the bike is exported. You can ride it home on that plate if your own insurance covers it (you will probably have to specifically add the bike and you'll only be covered for a certain time on the foreign plate) Then when you pay VRT you are allocated an Irish registration number and you get the Irish plate made up at a motor factors or online.

On some bikes the dipped beam kicks up towards the nearside, in Ireland that could dazzle drivers unless the headlamp unit can be either adjusted or replaced with the UK/Ireland version to solve the problem. I doubt this would be checked when doing VRT though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Belgium too.

Had no plate and I rode to nct centre 70 km away and came on a check point on the way home.

The Garda asked me was it taxed as he began walk around the back of the bike to look for tax disc.

I told him I just got it and he didn't bother looking and told me drive on.

Blarney nct messed me about so it took a month and going to Waterford nct centre to sort it.

Of course there was cops everytime I took the bike out for a spin so had to take a swift turn off a few times.

Carol Nash insured the bike with no reg for 30 days which ran out on the day I got it vrt'd

Even if you have the bike transported home the temp plates can come in useful as the insurance allows you to ride the bike to the VRT center... Otherwise, you may need to get it transported there.

Sometimes you can insure it on the VIN , not sure which insurers will do this though.

I found it easy enough to make a plate once you know the previous reg and just stick that on, having a plate of any kind is much better when encountering a checkpoint than none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

Thank you all for your replies. What if I buy the bike in a country like Italy where plates are attached to the bike? Will insurance (I’m with Carole Nash too!) cover the bike for a month until I get it VRT’d?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like I said - you have to ring them and add the bike to your policy using the VIN, CN did this for me no problem when I imported a bike from the UK

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

funny you should mention that: I bought a bike in NL last October and C-N originally refused to cover it, to ride it home, on the grounds the 'trip' didn't start in Ireland. Like you, I've bought bikes in the UK over decades and a phone call put them on cover without issue. Only for some serious ranting and many phone calls they wouldn't have relented.

@LucianBelmau so, ring them, it's the only way you'll know for sure.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement