Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, choice of bikes in Europe is great. Seems to be a lot of dry miles bikes. And they have kph dials

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I’m afraid you are working off a lot of incorrect info now, importing UK bikes now needs the service of a customs agent here, that’s not cheap.

MOT is no guarantee at all, plenty of seriously dodgy MOT stations around that will pass all kinds of rubbish for a fee.

Central Europe and German winters are so cold that it’s impossible to ride bikes for much of it, they rarely see winters and definitely not the salty slush you see on UK roads. The German HU test is pretty strict.

You can find good deals in the UK but the reason people buy from Europe is because there is so much choice. Why would you buy from a third country when importing from EU is easy and convenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

So the mot is corrupted and anybody can pay off a tester? Nah brah, not buying it. Who would want to ride a dodgy bike anyway. You're putting your life on the line. Plenty of Brits only take out their wheels on a weekend and keep them in pristine condition. Bike maintenance isn't a euro exclusively.

Then the vrt is cheap. The customs duty is cheap. And the bike is a lot cheaper to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭batman_oh

VRT, customs and VAT are all needed. That's 35% or something on top of the price of a new/newish bike. It's the reason no car/bike places are importing from the UK any more. But sure they haven't a clue either!

Bikes are cheaper from Europe now - they might not have been before Brexit but they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plenty of dodgy car and bike dealers in the UK but every single vehicle they sell will have an MOT. That tells its own story.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ZiggyBust

So CN have just told me they can not insure a foreign reg bike if the trip is not starting in Ireland or the UK.

I specifically asked about taking a bike back from France and told they can not set it up with current underwriters for mainland europe... I would need to get the bike transported.

What now? besides getting it transported (already asked Jarvis Trans and no go for him) :)

If you buy in Germany, you get temporary plates for €80 that also include enough insurance to get you back to Ireland...

Yeah I was aware of this and have already started looking in Germany for this sole reason if CN are not going to play ball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Axa have no problem insuring a foreign bike to ride home if that’s of any use to you. Done it last June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CN tried this with me last year too, when I bought a bike in NL. Gave me yards of excuses why not, but I was like a dog with a bone. They've had no issu doing it for the last 20+ years on bike I bought and ridden home from UK, so I wasn't having any of it. I told them when I got home I was cancelling my policy and in the end they folded but said the breakdown cover wouldn't apply........you could always buy AA cover if you're stuck.

As it turns out, I was told this by the shop I bought from in NL as well, and I wasn't 100% convinced I/they were understanding the situation completely, but turns out the bike was insured by the shop : they said all their bikes are sold with 2 weeks cover (to allow you get it home and registered), so seems the norm. Win-Win.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Interestingly I rang up just to see and they gave me the same response as CN that it needs to be on Irish soil before they would cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

just got a bike imported in from NI,

Was fairly straightforward, but they want

a receipt of sale to show how you got the bike.

The V5C

proof of entry into NI or proof that the bike had been in the country before the cut off point.

That form they want filled in

Proof of PPS number and proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Has anyone bought privately from Europe without seeing the bike?

Considering using Jarvis from Belgium but no idea how you protect yourself from scammers, or is that just the risk you're taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Some of the usual bike transport places can give a bike a quick look over,

Friend of mine brought in a bike from holland last year and the transport guy called him on collection after he had gone through the bike and took photos of any possible issues he may not have come across himself.

At that point he had already bought it anyway so I suppose it doesn't mean much but it is possible.

Not sure how you deal with transferring cash to a private seller, especially when you're not there to see the bike yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've bought twice from the UK in the past without seeing the bike.

I would be hesitent to buy privately this way though, so I would only go through a dealership with good reputation (Check reviews and so on)

I video call and go through the bike with them over whats app and so on before placing a deposit and then arranging for how to collect. With the first bike I had a courier go over as I was on L plates, with the second bike I flew over and collected it in person and rode it back.

If you have the time, I'd definitely recommend flying over and riding the bike back just for the trip. I'm considering doing this somepoint as a small trip, collect a bike to ride back and then just sell it on over here.

I bought from a main dealer in Germany... Bike was immaculate and even had extras not described in the sale... Jarvis transported it and while it wouldn't be fair to expect them to take any responsibility for the quality of the bike, they did give me a heads-up that the bike seemed good condition and as described. I can't recommend them enough, they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Thanks guys, yep Jarvis seem to have a really good reputation. I've a learner license so driving it back myself isn't an option. I may scrap the private route so.

It's a pity, having spent 11months considering what bike I actually want there seems to be an opportunity to bring in a couple to sell on if someone was so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I brought in a bike from Austria 3 weeks ago. Rang up CN the day before i went, gave them the Austrian reg and 50 quid and they emailed me the insurance cert straight away. Covered for 30 days, just had to give them the Irish reg within that time. Rode it back. There's a guy on Facebook goes by the name of Slampi gets recommended a lot, he would have done it for €600 but it suited me to travel instead.

I bought a car in the UK but organised an AA check first. Not sure if there's a bike equivalent.

Bought my bike from Netherlands without seeing it, but it wasn't expensive as it was 1995 bike and it was clearly immaculate from the photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

I bought a 2019 50cc Romet ogar moped from Germany. It has 2500km on it. Import cost was €400. I realise it would be due vat at vrt because it has less than 6000km on it.

is it possible to alter the mileage on the speedo manually?

or have the proof of purchase invoice at a lowish price but is vat calculated on the total of sale price + import/shipping cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You're asking how to commit an illegal act so I'm afraid I can't advise you to get a spurious Speedo with 6000km+ on it and to jury rig it onto the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

In order to get mileage reading to match the history of said vehicle, probably not.

In order to decieve ..............

I know 2 people who did this. One was around 1000 miles off (gilera mp3) and they did a weekend in the uk on it. Another bought a 1970s bike and had the "new" speedo in their luggage as they went over. Easy swap on an old bike

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

I checked this with Revenue when I imported a car a few years back,

The mileage is checked at the time you present it for VRT so as long as its over 6k on that day you should be fine.

Could you put up 3500k in 2-3 weeks before your vrt appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Hypothetically of course if one put it on a paddock stand and let it run for a while would that log kms? Is it the back wheel or front wheel that registers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Older bikes it's usually a mechanical cable from the front wheel, newer bikes an electronic sensor in the transmission.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement