Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

If you are looking to ship a bike home then Phil Gunne from Cork is highly recommended. I’ve used him twice. And he will check the bike for you at collection as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

He regularly travels Europe. He’s in Spain presently.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

How did you manage the payment bit? I hoped to pay by card, but it didnt work on their machine so it was lucky I had cash. It was a dealer, I prob wouldn't buy private from overseas. Still and all I'd probably be reluctant to pay online before I went at all - what if it wasnt as advertised etc. etc. I know you're in a shite bargaining position anyway, it is your ride home.... but if all came to all you could walk away. If the ****** have your cash you are rightly over a barrel.

• Advertisement

I paid by Bank Transfer: continental EU doesn't do credit cards as much as we do, and not for big-ticket items.

Indeed, some continental places charge extra for CC payments: they don't want to pay the banks commission.

If you want to look before you pay, all you can do is book to stay over and do a transfer when you're there and wait for it to come through. You'd need to allow at least 24 hrs though.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Great info there. Brexit really made getting a new bike a PITA and there's not a huge choice up north. I was debating the go myself or get it delivered option so thanks for benefit of your experience 💯💯💯💯

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

As someone looking to get back to riding this year, this is great info. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi Guys - how does Insurance work on a bike being brought in from EU (say Germany)? When I got my car from the UK, my existing insurance provider just transferred the policy to the new UK reg (effective for 30 days only), I got the VRT done and the policy changed to my new Irish reg. So at the moment I dont have bike insurance as i dont own a bike. Now if I buy a bike in Germany, how does one insure it in case I want to ride it back, or, have it transported in by someone - Insurance is required in both cases I guess. And what plates to put on the bike till VRT - can I ride it here in Ireland or have to store the bike till VRT day (tho I will have to ride it to the VRT office - or cart it over in a van)?

thanks for any insights

You'll have to buy insurance here, before you go over. Note though that some co's won't cover a new vehicle if the trip begins abroad. (I just had that huge argument with C-N/Axa).

If you're buying from a shop in Germany, and you intend to ride it, they will have to put temporary export number plates on it, and you should be able to insure it there to get it home as well (TPO, mind). Cover usually last 2 weeks.

Frankly, I'd get it couriered home if you weren't up for all that palaver, and have it delivered to my door.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Thanks. It will be a used bike. So if I get it shipped home, then do I need insurance for the transit (maybe the shipping company will have that insurance cover)?

And then can I get it insured here in Ireland before VRT (essentially can I ride it before VRT)?

the transit co should have cover for goods-in-transit.

Once you get it here, yes you'll have to insure it here if you intend to ride it, you should be able to get temp cover (using the German Kfz schein document).

Or, you can bring the bike to VRT centre on a trailer/in a van and just wheel it out for them to inspect it - you'll have the reg of it before you leave on the day, so can insure it off that straight away anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

Much as it pains me to say it, I don't think I will be buying in Europe. Too many hurdles

Looks like the dealers are bringing bikes in from the UK so we might still have some choice here. Of course they will inflate the price, they have to make a profit, but the golden age of importing from the UK by individuals is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've bought a bike in Poland, thankfully I have storage there until the weather gets better. I'm all sorted for coming home however has anybody VRT'd a bike from Poland? Any documents in particular outside of the usual that are needed?

'too many hurdles' ? It's actually fewer hurdles.

Pick a bike, go over & collect it, ride it home (or get it delivered), VRT office 30 minutes, out the door with reg number. Can't see how you'd simplify that tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think riding a bike back from Europe would be a huge adventure. You'd need a big enough bike though to handle motorways etc. and all the right touring gear.

Obviously I brought my (big) bike back and it was easy. But I actually tried to avoid motorways: the Péage in France is expensive, even for bikes !

As for gear, as this was an over & back job, I had one small backpack, that I put into the topcase. that was it. You're effectively wearing all the awkward stuff (which is PITA going out via plane btw).

We're hoping to go to Spain later in the year, and we're bring one big and one small (250cc) bike. There's a lot to be said for the small one when you get there !

Ode To The Motorist

Were there any issues with your helmet on the plane?

I'm flying to Poznan and my only option to there is Ryanair. I can fly Aer Lingus to Berlin and train over but would rather not

No issues, hand carry it. To keep your baggage on board manageable wear your jacket and boots.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm looking for the ideal bike to import and wondering if anyone can offer some advice? I've been looking in Netherlands and Germany, but found either prices high, or the value including VRT and shipping isn't working out... Is it worth looking at Italy? Is there a perceived difference in quality? Should I buy only from a dealer? Is there a big change in transport costs across the different countries? I'm trying to narrow my search, but there is such a big range of needs and wants...

I'm being picky about the bike as I want it to be something particular, but also want it well maintained, I can do a certain amount of simple maintenance but I'm not mechanical and won't be confident in fixing problems...

• Advertisement

Not much help but I just bought I'm Eindhoven and am collecting this weekend. It's too cold to collect the other I bought in Poland.

I need help

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Haha nice one, what did you get this time?

What sites did you use to find it?

I'm thinking of selling my bike this summer and picking up something in Europe so always interested to hear everyone's experiences,

Are you riding it back?

I bought an old 600f2. Just to keep me going til tge weather gets better. It makes no sense just the flight was €8 and ferries were buttons too.

I'm on garden leave from work so I've time on my hands which leads to this kind of mischief

That's what I've agreed a deal on but I have backups.

And I just used Facebook marketplace. I was pints deep when doing this and herself is going to stab me

I don't think many people appreciate that (say) in Germany, older bikes never depreciate as much as they do here. They do go down to a 'level', and then just sit there. Here it'd keep going 'til it hit the floor.

I'd not have much qualms buying privately in either NL or Germany as I've done it & know the drill: buying privately in Italy or France i don't know about. I do like the 'comfort' of dealing with a shop though.

I think the key thing here is you go abroad more for choice (and condition of) bikes, not necessarily the price.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, you're right, I'm looking abroad because the bike in question would be less available here... and theres more choice abroad...

One other question... when using someone to transport the bike, do you have to pay for the bike in full in advance? Money doesn't transfer straight away between international accounts... so how do you manage the transactions?

Post edited by Bluefoam on

Yes, you have to pay in full, in advance.

As I was dealing with a shop (which is a franchised dealer), I just sent it by Bank Transfer. I sent my payment on a Monday iirc, and was collecting it the following Saturday morning.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I just brought one in last week. Dutch reg, the dealer deregistered it, I got a sheet with a small credit card vehicle document and I bring it to the VRT office and pay them on the spot.

You should factor in the de-reg time as well, the RDW will take the old plate when de-reg and you can make up a temporary one yourself with an export number.

Private sellers may not always want to do export, some will some won't. There are plenty of scammers there as well.

Jarvis transport delivered it. No hassles great company

Hi - do you still need to do a 'de-reg' if you are getting is transported? Is the process different for say Germany (or France) and does Jarvis know about these details?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jarvis is well acquainted with all the paperwork necessary. A shop will not let the bike go without dereg and a private individual will definitely not. It’s the equivalent of selling a car in your name but not signing over the logbook. They would be on the hook for anything that happened. Germany is the same and a similar process. I don’t know about France . I believe it to be more convoluted and bureaucratic but maybe it’s just hearsay.

• Advertisement

thanks for that - and how do you do a 'de-reg'? is it similar to taking over the Reg Cert here after putting your name on it? In the UK you need the V5 for the car along with you fior VRT purposes

Advertisement