Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

I mean, how do they know where the "trip" started anyway? I might've bought it here and taken it for a spin in the Netherlands right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't make work for yourself, just go through the normal channels and get the bike that way. If anything goes wrong and you are found out then the resulting hassle for insurance is not worth it.

There aren't many bike insurers in ireland and blacklisting yourself off the few that are here is not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just insured my bike that's currently in Poland with C-N, no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

my issue is I imported a 2017 bike from germany a few weeks ago from a private seller who had the bike from new. Before buying I checked with him if he had the German logbook equivalent and he said he never got one but only got the CoC, Certificate of Conformity which is issued for all new vehicles since 2016 I think.

i took the bike for vrt last Friday but they won’t accept the CoC. They say that is only for new vehicles. I need to get the logbook, ‘ Zulassungsbescheinigung’ in german.

anyone know how I can get one or get advice about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I wouldn't have bought it without the Zulassungsbescheinigung. However, you are where you are and my first advice is to ask the person you bought it from to apply for one and send it to you.

Also, have a read here...

https://www.service-bw.de/zufi/leistungen/439?plz=68526#formulare

Post edited by WestWicklow1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Could the bike have been stolen if it was sold without any registration docs?

You should have been given the document by the seller, it's a green folded paper with the vehicle registration information on it. There is no way he didn't have that if he rode the bike in Germany: by law you have to carry it with you on the bike at all times.

I'd go back to him, firmly but politely, and insist on it, they're usually sticklers for paperwork. You can tell him the exporting authorities in Germany also need it. (who's he to argue ? )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

All sounds odd. The bike should be deregistered before leaving Germany... The logbook would be provided at that point if not already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yikes. You don't own a vehicle if you don't have the documents, you own a garage ornament (and not even that, if it's stolen)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes...any bike coming in off the European continent will need its headlight changed.

Motorbikes generally don't have headlights that point left or right, they go straight ahead.

Not necessarily so: I've bought a lot of BMW's in Germany and the headlights are asymmetrical: if you look up a parts fiche you'll see there are different part numbers for 'Linksverkehr' /'Rechtsverkehr' (Left Side Road Driving /Right Side Road Driving). Depending on the bike, I used to order a 'Linksverkehr' headlight when I bought the bike for use here.

Ode To The Motorist

I haven't exactly owned dozens of bikes but I've yet to own one which has an asymmetric dipped beam.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

In the main they are all pointed the same way, there are some outliers like the GS, that's why I said generally

RT's up to 1150 at least are asymmetric - not sure after that. If you look carefully, you can sometimes see a small arrow on the lens.

MOT in the UK, from where many bike here are from, is an asymmetric test - but - you can have a flat pattern beam so long as no part of the beam intrudes above the tolerance band of the (lowest) part of the pattern.

Ode To The Motorist

Not to derail the thread further but most would have the flat pattern. Of course BMW wouldn't follow that but they're well.. BMW. If you look at the lens of most Honda or Yammy you'll see the beam isn't guided left or right. Actually a pal brought in an S1000RR and his beam is flat and straight. Not sure why you'd want it any other way on a bike when you're liable to be in different positions on the road

It's just a historic thing, modern light units are far more complex and aim is far more accurate.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'd have to disagree...you'll find plenty of 'Honda or Yammy' with different headlights depending whether they're the UK/IRL market version or the European market version.

Just as an example -every fireblade ever produced have different headlights depending on market.

I tell a lie - the GPz900R has a different headlamp unit for UK/Ireland and rest of Europe. A rectangular unit which looks rather old-fashioned today but was very modern looking at the time when pretty much every bike had a single large round headlamp.

The idea of an asymmetric dipped beam is to light up road signs on the nearside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

The faq section on the VRT website states you need to show CO2 and NOx emissions. How the hell to ya prove NOx emissions? CO2 should be on the original reg doc alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

I dont think they apply that to bikes. VRT is based only on CC and age for bikes.

Sound.

I just agreed a deal to buy a KTM 1090 Adventure R in France. Plan to ride it back on 1st June.

What did you guys that rode bikes home do when it came to the euro tunnel and ferry’s? Just rock up and buy tickets for the next crossing or pre book tickets?

I've never taken an English Channel ferry but have used the tunnel loads of times. Just turned up, paid, and got on the next available train, never a problem.

A ferry direct to Ireland is a good option too, not cheap but riding right across the UK isn't either with petrol prices these days. Unless you've got the timings spot on you'll need an overnight bed somewhere too. You'll definitely need to book a ferry in advance in summer.

That’s good to know, thanks!

The direct ferry is a good idea but would probably take longer. Plus I’d be missing out on riding my new bike 😁

I rode from NL to Cherbourg, stayed in a fab small hotel in the countryside outside Rouen on the way back with my bike. Then a leisurely Sunday a.m. jaunt up to the Ferry for 16:30. Arrived in Dublin at 11:00 the following mornng: had a full cabin, ensuite, TV, WiFi etc - €171 all in. You'd spend more than that crossing the UK between fuel, stayover and the sheer hastle of it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Just a couple of quick questions on importing for you folks in the know.

Does importing from N.I. classify as EU (only VRT reg)?

And the second question is regarding the <6month/<6000km ruling, does it have to meet both of those requirements. i.e. Would a 2019 bike that only has 4000km be subject to VAT or other charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Yep, just one of the two, so if it's that old (2019) then it's fine.

The other part as far as I'm aware is that if the bike was already registered (i.e sold in the north to another resident there at the time) and you buy it then I think you are fine, if it has been imported from mainland UK (Scot, Wales, Eng etc) and is being sold direct up north and you buy it then you could be liable for VAT.

I maybe wrong about the second part but when I used to buy bikes pre Brexit then all you'd pay was VRT. Now you'll pay VAT too. Probably better getting a bike from France, Holland or Germany...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm not sure that a vehicle even a few years old with less than 6k will get away without VAT.

This is straight from Revenues manual:

The term 'new means of transport' refers to vehicles which are less than a specified age, or have travelled less than a specified distance. It is a concept in European VAT law, and is significant only when calculating VAT liability for vehicles transported into a Member State from another Member State or non-EU country. It is important to note that a vehicle can have been owned by one or more persons, or registered in one or more countries, and still be taxable as a 'new means of transport' if it is moved from one country to another. The following vehicles are 'new means of transport':  A motorised land vehicle with an engine cylinder capacity of 48 cubic centimetres or a power exceeding 7.2 kilowatts which was supplied 6 months or less after the date of first entry into service; or has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Also, the Mileage is only checked at the time you present it for VRT, so you have 30 days to get the mileage up...

Advertisement