Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you have a head cold, don't go to work. It can be infectious.

Certain jobs have required vaccines so I can't see a huge difference in this scenario. On top of that, you should take a glance at which group is far more likely to either die from COVID or face serious damage to their health. It's the unvaccinated. Also more likely to spread it since it stays active in system for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Certain jobs like healthcare which is fair because folks going for the jobs know the lie of the land when it comes to requiring vaccinations. As for the rest of society - it's a non-runner. With regards spreading there is very little difference between vaccinated folks and unvaccinated folks spreading. Very few are doubting the effectiveness of vaccination with regards to having better outcomes for those who have poor immune systems or are elderly - this though, is not grounds for mandatory vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think the group you're thinking of is the elderly and those with co-morbidities

The coming years should be fun, watching the cheerleaders for this nonsense slink off as it becomes increasingly obvious that they were willingly led up the garden path.

Good luck to those truckers, you wouldnt see that level of autonomy in the best little country to do groupthink.

Here are some examples of what groupthink can lead to. Stuff that is more likely to happen among Conspiracy Theorists, than normal people.

• Illusions of unanimity lead members to believe that everyone is in agreement and feels the same way. It is often much more difficult to speak out when it seems that everyone else in the group is on the same page.
    • Unquestioned beliefs lead members to ignore possible moral problems and not consider the consequences of individual and group actions.
    • Rationalizing prevents members from reconsidering their beliefs and causes them to ignore warning signs.
    • Stereotyping leads members of the in-group to ignore or even demonize out-group members who may oppose or challenge the group's ideas. This causes members of the group to ignore important ideas or information.
    • Self-censorship causes people who might have doubts to hide their fears or misgivings. Rather than sharing what they know, people remain quiet and assume that the group must know best.
    • "Mindguards" act as self-appointed censors to hide problematic information from the group. Rather than sharing important information, they keep quiet or actively prevent sharing.

• Illusions of invulnerability lead members of the group to be overly optimistic and engage in risk-taking. When no one speaks out or voices an alternative opinion, it causes people to believe that the group must be right.
    • Direct pressure to conform is often placed on members who pose questions, and those who question the group are often seen as disloyal or traitorous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

The risk of long COVID is pretty high in all age groups and plenty of immunocompromised people in all age groups in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is no such thing as long covid outside of the immuno-compromised, the hypochondriac and the work-shy groups. Alot of doctors will play along to get the €60~€70 for writing the regular sick note that gets handed in to HR.

Without know these doctors I expect you are right. None of them would put "Long Covid" on a medical cert for a worker. But it is a real thing, and has very serious medical consequences for some people, not only in the groups you know about. CIPD which is to do with HR, issues guidance.

Guidance on what long COVID is and how employers can manage employees suffering from its effects

Long COVID is a shorthand term for the long-term adverse effects of coronavirus. Many employees will feel better in a few days or weeks after coronavirus and the majority should make a full recovery within twelve weeks. However, for a significant minority of people, long-term symptoms of coronavirus can last for a significant period after an initial COVID-19 infection. Symptoms are extensive, ranging from exhaustion, breathing difficulties and breathlessness, continued fever, anxiety and stress, to muscle weakness, and the inability to walk. Others have heart or neurological problems. Lung abnormalities seem to last many months after infection and there seem to be post-viral fatigue symptoms similar to ME or chronic fatigue syndrome. There is increasing medical evidence that a small but significant minority of people who contract COVID-19 can still be seriously affected months after initially falling ill. As the virus is so new, medical knowledge about the effects of long COVID are still the subject of extensive research.

Long COVID symptoms can happen to people of all ages regardless of underlying health conditions and there will be some employees who are unable to return to full-time work for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Very severe headaches not unlike migraines are also a part of long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

just a bunch of whinging, sniveling, anti-vaxer conspiricy theorist, covid denying loons who are simply throwing the toys out of the pram because they have lost and nobody is listening.

they are quite rightly treated as the irrelevance they are, fair play to the canadian government for not backing down.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

the vaccines are reasonably effective so nobody was sold a pup.

you lost, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I lost sympathy as soon as they were waving swastikas about.

the only ones lead up the garden path were those stupid to believe the anti-vax, anti-science, anti-facts brigade.

the rest of us saw reality for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Of course we will follow Austria being fellow EU members.

the science and evidence says otherwise, i am afraid.

wrong again.

abolish the indirect subsidy to the irish pub known as MUP. what does this mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And it looks like this fella is moderating the Science & Health Moderators! Jesus wept 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭high horse

Wow, thanks! I had no idea my apathy to something happening in another country was so powerful...

• Advertisement

if you ask the question in the thread on MUP i will answer it there as i don't want to take this thread off topic.

The Taoiseach said we wont be so seems like you're making that up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am not sure i fully trust the said taoiseach

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It does seem rather ironic that when genuine working class types ( the truckers ) are rising up against the unprecedented expansion of the state, the liberal-left types were for the most part horrified.

they only approve certain protests like BLM etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭paul71

its nothing to do with right, left, liberal or eliberal, it's to do with fact and fiction, truth and lies.

the convoy are made up of people who believe and are spreading misinformation, lies and conspiracy theories.

• Advertisement

that's not unique to elements of the left however, the right are just as good at approving and disapproving of certain protests when those protests don't suit them.

however sometimes it is okay to disapprove of protests, for example when people are protesting against governments following science and evidence, protesting to try and force governments to follow misinformation, and anti-vax and conspiricy theorist nonsense.

Advertisement