Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It was in our house twice. Both times it came from crèche after Xmas. However, there were no vaccines the first time and everyone got it. There were vaccines the second time (with booster) a few weeks ago, and only the child that was infected in crèche got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Good result but you chose to take the vaccine, all i want is the option to choose, nothing more and that option wont be there we will be told. Mark my words our government are merely office workers for the main office which is the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did the EU send an envelope to Austria? Who in the EU will be sending envelopes?

You were doing well until you launched into the “main office” conspiracy. What is the conspiracy? Who benefits? Why would people who are elected TD’s (and can be unelected by not getting enough votes) suddenly work for the “main office”?

You could get elected, and be part of forming a government. How does the switch trigger, and you end up working for the “main office”? Do you forget who you are or something?

• Advertisement

It's absolutely verifiable that the vaccine limits serious illness. Unvaccinated account for disproportionate number of ICU cases and that's reflected globally. You can literally see a drop off in deaths after vaccinations kicked off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. The figures are pretty clear on this. Now omicron will 'vaccinate' everyone pretty much. Unless a variant arises that's radically different enough to evade immunity and far more injurious covid 19 is effectively over and unless you were very old, already very sick, or bloody unlucky, it wasn't the mass killer that had us in a panic. Thankfully. Hopefully it's a one in a lifetime pandemic, because if an actual mass killer comes along in a few years, covid fatigue could have it spread like wildfire.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Still a mass killer in America.

"Feb 4 (Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic reached a grim new milestone in the United States on Friday with the nation's cumulative death toll from COVID-19 surpassing 900,000, even as the daily number of lives lost has begun to level off, according to data collected by Reuters.

The latest tally marks an increase of more than 100,000 U.S. COVID-19 fatalities since Dec. 12, coinciding with a surge of infections and hospitalizations driven by the highly contagious Omicron variant of the virus."

Viruses and other infections coming from the animal world will not go away. There is a grim history from the Black Death to AIDS and now Covid. But unlike in the past we have the science now to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes and no. We have the science, but capacity would be the problem. If something with the virulence of smallpox came out of another Chinese wet market in two years time it would make covid 19 look like ice cream and cake and would take around a year get a vaccine into arms. By which time the death and injury toll would be crazy high. Even covid which is one of the mildest pandemics in world history and one we have effective against serious illness vaccines for is as you point out still killing the old, sick, fat and bloody unlucky.

Though America was always going to be grim. A nation where medical bills are the overwhelming majority of personal bankruptcy fillings and just calling an ambulance could cost you thousands if you're not insured. Great place to be ill if you're well insured and/or well off, a shít place to be if you're not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Vaccination policy is left to each member state to decide. That is why Austria was able to do their own thing.

EU law does not require compulsory vaccination. Vaccination, mandatory or otherwise, is a Member State competence.

However, the Commission continues to call on all eligible citizens to ensure they get their full vaccination against COVID-19. Full vaccination offers the best protection against the virus and its variants, including the Delta variant, and its transmissibility.

This is especially important for the most vulnerable, and those who are at high risk of catching and transmitting the virus.

If we want to beat the variants it is absolutely crucial to proceed with vaccinations and ensure that as many as possible are fully vaccinated. Scientific studies show that full vaccination offers good protection against the variants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's the 3rd time it's been posted.. is it doing the rounds on telegram or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

There's a heavy reliance on guilt by association.

Why do Irish people lap it up? As usual Irish people are babes innocently accepting everything that is placed before them.

The US and Canadian media are themselves political activists, pro-mandate and will do everything they can to represent the convoy as tiny and illegitimate.

Some amount of conspiracy theories about the cover up of public opinion...

Some of those who believed the nonsense about vaccines paid with their lives.

Claiming media bias is a conspiracy theory?

Many media outlets are explicitly political, ie the Irish Times ran an editorial a few years ago calling itself an "activist newspaper" (when Geraldine Kennedy was editor).

I don't think there are too many people who regard CNN or the Washington Post as neutral, dispassionate observers.

Are you pro-mandate? Because that's what's at issue.

It could be argued that the mandates themselves create suspicion around the vaccines. Using force, dis-employing people looks really really bad.

I'll refer you to the poll on the topic I cited earlier. I would say that's a hell of a lot more reliable than your gut instinct on the topic. So no, I don't believe the Canadian press are conspiring to misrepresent public support etc.

What you think about them is your own opinion. Don't transfer that on to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Austria has a vaccine mandate largely because of anti-vaxxers. The far-right is popular in the country, and as such vaccine uptake has been lower than neighbours, clogging the hospitals with people needlessly dying due to disinformation. The Austrian government decided they had enough of that ****.

I am sorry you were a little sick after your 2nd jab, I was sick as **** after my booster. Covid on the other hand has killed millions of people, and we still don't understand the effects of long-term Covid. If you had been intubated in ICU like countless people you wouldn't be complaining about being a little sick after the vaccine.

The minority of truckers in Canada are morons and don't speak for the vast majority who support common sense measures. It takes a special kind of idiot to oppose wearing a mask or getting a vaccine during a global pandemic.

• Advertisement

You're talking past me.

What does a poll of people's attitudes have to do with my point about the media?

The negative perception is one the public hold by default. If the protesters choose to go out with confederate flags. The Canadian public and the rest of the world will reinforce their view of them as loons of a particular variety. The fact that the right are rallying around this is a pretty big sign too tbh. Plenty of posters in this thread who tend to adore trump etc. It's a pretty clear mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

nice deflection. I do not support terrorists. i think the point being made was that it's laughable that the muslim brotherhood would somehow be active in Canada let alone some sort of major force. just more meat for the base i guess.

on the other hand, do you support or sympathize with white supremacists and/or neo-nazis ?

the protest was organised by one..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hardly conspiracy theories now are they? Look at any of the housing protests in Dublin a few years ago. RTE and media reporting hundreds etc when every Facebook/drone video of the marches showed huge masses, literally thousands, of people.

RTE made a profit in 2020 because they were getting paid to push government ads, same as the dying print media and radio stations. Covid has been a godsend for the print media, they're hardly going to bite the hand that feeds them.

"Licensed commercial radio stations can from Wednesday apply for sums ranging from €45,000 to €95,000 per station under the round, which is paid for out of the existing Sound & Vision scheme financed by a portion of licence fee receipts."

The figures supplied to Labour Party leader Alan Kelly, include €3.2m on print advertising, €4.39m on broadcast campaigns, €688,005 on social media ads."

Austria's vaccine mandate is up in the air. It's been delayed and their health minister says the Austrian government's own constitutional lawyers may veto it. That's before any legal challenges, domestic or at the European court in Strasbourg, are brought which could also derail it.

Bouncing people from their jobs is very extreme and in this case puts pressure on food supply lines. I guess if Canadians go hungry from food shortages the Canadian authorities will look to blame "the unvaccinated" rather than their own unwise and inflexible policies and no doubt you'll be there to parrot them.

dont think they wave these flags at a GAA match.

lovely bunch, im sure

The Austria mandate was a tactic to get people vaccinated, it worked. Whether they follow through on it is up to them.

Putting people's lives at danger during a pandemic is extreme. A clear majority of Canadians support the measures, if a minority of truckdrivers want to use their trucks to block supply lines, that goes beyond peaceful protest. The law should deal with them, before people get angry enough with them that the mob does.

I was sick as fcuk after my first jab(feb 21), I was sick as fcuk after my second jab (June 21). I didn't bother with a booster, got Covid on 1st Jan 2022 and I had a mild flu. I was nowhere near as sick as I was after either apparently "lapsed" jab.

@Fandymo gonna answer my question in #179 ?

i suspect you won't...

• Advertisement

The issue of pressure on supply lines is from not having enough drivers, which could become a problem if drivers are forced from their jobs. No one is "blocking" anything, you've got the wrong end of the stick.

A guy driving a truck through the vast wilderness is not putting lives in danger. Your position is fanatical - you're basically claiming that any uninjected person is a walking biological hazard now and forever. In that case are you holed up inside your residence still and refusing to come out?

Good. I know people who've had mild Covid also (and some severe). On a global level, it goes without saying, the jab dramatically reduces hospitalizations and deaths from Covid.

Hi there, sorry didn’t see that post, boards new interface is a pain in the arse. I always reply in general.

I've tried to look up the guy Ben Dichter, but there is vanishingly little online about him. Perhaps you could shed some light on him?

Also, the MB are very active in Ireland. So I don’t see how it laughable they they’d be active in Canada.

Any data / proof on them being active in Canada ?

also, do you support or sympathize with white supremacists and/or neo-nazis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Despite there being a low percentage of people who are not vaccinated, you see thousands of vaccinated people showing support for the truckers. Shows there are some decent people out there. It wasn’t that long that we the seen "firey yet peaceful protests" in U.S. Democrat cities that were burned down. People were murdered. There was violence, assaults, looting, fires, and a police no-go area. And yet the bail money fundraisers for BLM remained during their chaos. At the request of Trudeau (he/hid), gofundme stole from the trucker's campaign. Rather than automatically refunding it to the donors, instead, they were going to try and give it to groups of their own choosing, ‘nonselected charities’. Just like BLM, In the peaceful community of Chop/Chaz “occupation” of Capitol Hill 2020 had violence, drugs, shootings, and murder, and yet the money donated to the multiple gofundmes were not shut down…..

Trudeau resorted to predictable, baseless smear tactics, rather than speaking to the people he is supposed to represent. Why couldn’t he simply address their problems? Instead, he resorted to accusing a massive group of people with the well-worn-out ’isms & ‘bics. The usual tropes. It's ironic coming from a person who dressed in the black face several times. 

It's an awful coincidence that Trudeaus personal photographer was pictured with the lad who just happens to have a brand new confederate flag that still has the folds/wrinkles on it, wearing a ski mask being photographed in different locations. The videos of him being tossed out by protesters speak for itself. 

The widespread support that the truckers have received in Canada and in other countries cannot be ignored nor discarded in the way it has by the media and the PM. Tow truck companies have been telling the authorities that their workers are out with Covid. The authorities had to go as far as New York state to try and find tow trucks. Even the army refused to get involved.

But Trudeau ran away and is now hiding in an 'undisclosed location' like a spineless, melodramatic coward.

Absolute filth!!!!

Jesus christ.

A majority of truckdrivers in Canada are vaccinated and have no issue with it, the Canadian truckdriving alliance supports that position. The US mandate doesn't allow reentry unvaccinated, but this tiny minority (and it is a tiny minority) of morons have taken it up as a cause against Covid measures in general.

They have every right to peacefully protest, but they aren't doing so. It's no surprise to see the far-right slogans and flags among their ranks.

• Advertisement

If the EU dictated everything, why must we have referendums at times to ratify what the EU wishes?

What are they subsidising us to stop doing? Building roads? Why would they both subsidise the building of roads and want us to stop building them?

As for peat, aren’t Poland in the EU too? How come they aren’t been dictated to like we are seeing all members must do as the EU states?

I’ll stop there….I’m just waiting for the mention of the great reset. Surely it’s coming

Took me literally seconds. Why would I support white supremacists/neo-nazis? I've asked for information on the people who set up this convoy, you haven't given me any except waffle about white supremacists/neo-nazis. Any chance of providing info on the aforementioned? Or are you one of those posters that gets questions answered but runs off when questioned themselves?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/muslim-brotherhood-has-a-significant-presence-in-canada-says-study-urging-probe-into-the-group

Mr. Quiggin, a court-recognized expert on terrorism, wrote the study without government or private funding. “Questions need to be raised about the accreditation, public funding and charity status of the organizations involved,” he said.

'Tow truck companies have been telling the authorities that their workers are out with Covid. The authorities had to go as far as New York state to try and find tow trucks. Even the army refused to get involved.'

It's funny because I'm reading Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak about the Russian Revolution and, as the novel tells it, this sort of thing would happen quite often on both sides in 1917-19.

Cossacks or sailors or another group could simply ignore Commissioners if they didn't want to follow an order.

If the authorities now had an ounce of sense they would row back or make some compromise. Trudeau looks very silly hiding from the population.

Trucking is not a people-intensive job. You're travelling along an open road by yourself for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,149 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not about fears, it's about resource use and thus taking resources from others.

anyone else who ends up in hospital does not end up there due to a spreadable virus for which, even now, if enough of the unvaccinated get it and end up in hospital as they are more likely to do so, it causes tailbacks in the rest of the system.

all avoided by taking the vaccine which is safe, effective and successful.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Hahaha, how did the Lisbon and Nice referendums go when they went against the EUs wishes??

the public could have voted no again and again if they wished. holding a vote is democratic, no?

you seem to think the EU is some sort of monolith hive mind with some kind of hidden Machiavellian agenda that you and your cohorts have been smart enough to discover but the rest of us have been duped...

natural immunity isn't as effective as vaccine immunity, so no we would not be exiting quite yet.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

the protest is discrediting itself, all by itself.

the protesters are showing themselves what they are.

I can find nothing stating that Pat King organised this convoy bar this link. BBC have Tamara Lind as the main person behind it, and the person named as setting up the frozen GoFundMe. Wiki have Ben Dichter as a convoy spokesman. Neither mention Pat King at all. Loonies have a tendency to attach themselves to things like this to try to legitimize their movements, from what I can see this (Pat King) is a case of this. Most seem to have decent motives for taking part in this. Where would I get a legitimate list of convoy organizers?

it is a proscribed terrorist organisation yes.

not wanting a proscribed terrorist organisation in a country is fine, but this individual doesn't simply not want a terrorist organisation in her country but doesn't want muslims or anyone who is brown in her country, which is a very very different proposition.

We could have voted again, and again, and again, until we got it right.

the 2 important words in that article are consider and discuss.

which means just that, consider and discuss.

consider and discuss does not equal will happen.

its not undemocratic to hold votes no matter how much you want to paint it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement