Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

What's the best way to break yourself in at running after an absence from knee injury?

Injury fully heeled and strengthened.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

Something as simple as slow, short runs, even with some walking rests if needed. Slowly increase pace and distance. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I just said I'd ask about the fact that I didn't sweat during one or two jogs I did recently. I pushed as hard as I usually do, but still barely sweated anything. It doesn't feel good when this happens during a jog. It feels a lot better when I sweat. The weather has been cold so maybe that has something to do with it. I normally don't sweat during the first mile anyway. But after 2 miles with no sweat, that shouldn't be the case. I think maybe I could have eaten a bit more before these jogs if that might have anything to do with it.

Also, breathing in the cold air when you're breathless is also a horrible feeling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Simple answer is that it’s cold. You swear to cool down, if you’re already cold then there is no need.

I wouldn't use sweat as a quality gauge.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Speaking of flat stomachs, Michelle Keegan has a lovely one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just a quick one folks, started back running recently any tips on how to avoid ire or chub rub as some people call it? TIA

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

Under armour shorts or similar. As a big legged man, I suffer the same and can't run without them. If you don't have and want to run, vaseline will help but isn't as effective.

Edit, I actually picked up a few pairs the other week in decathlon for 5 euro a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice here.

From doing Squats, I feel my Range of Motion (particularly I think in my IT band??) has deteriorated. Love doing the exercise, and the benefits are obvious - but just wondering can anyone recommend particular stretches, when to do them, etc. if this is indeed a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I had a similar problems many years ago...found that crosshack squats and frog rocks, both primarily work the groin inner quads but I my mobility from the hip vastly improved and I stopped having issues with the ITB

• Advertisement

What warm up are you doing? Outside of your warmup what mobility work are you doing?

The whole western world's IT bands are in a jock right now I'd say from sitting too much during the pandemic. So be patient with yourself.

they/them/theirs

Being honest, too little warm up mobility I think - few basic stretches. What stretches/warm up routine would be good to avoid such poor Range of Motion and overall mobility with these muscles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't really have any great insight into mobility and its relationship to training, but I noticed you linked your problem to squatting.

If you're squatting below parallel and with decent form then really squats should be contributing to good mobility in the hips, knees and ankles, not negatively impacting.

In your warm-ups if you spend some time at the bottom of a body weight squat and move around a little, that might be beneficial. Then with the bar and your warm-up weights you could consider seeing how you get on with some pauses at the bottom. Make sure you are breaking parallel with your work sets, and nothing to say they couldn't be paused at the bottom as well.

There's a whole world of dedicated "mobility work" out there involving various exercises, tools and beliefs about what is required in this area but to be honest... Only bother if you enjoy it, I have never found it that worthwhile in the long term ... and I've drank the kool aid of a great many approaches over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Agree with lots of above. I had knee problems from squatting years ago and a physio prescribed a good bit of IT band work. He also questioned my squat form after looking at a bodyweight squat in the clinic. I thought "nah, my squat is fine. I'll foam roll my IT band". All the foam rolling and mobility did little for me knee but low and behold, fixing my squat did wonders.

I'd just check a few things with your squat, namely how the weight is distributed across your foot. Squat slowly and if at any point during it, you notice that your weight is falling onto your front foot foot or inside foot, then you could have the cause.

Hell, even if it is your IT band, trying to do a third world squat every day for as long as you can manage should help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I had seen that directly trying to lenghten the IT band is a waste of time as its not very flexible in and of itself and its better to focus on developing the muscles directly rather than doing foam rolling. Pick a glute , hamstring and hip flexor exercise for example and add them in, and as above, i try to start most session in the gym with an Asian squat, if you cant sit unassisted in an Asian squat for a minute or two comfortably its one for the list.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

a simple thing is to squat every day. Sit back into a body weight squat and hold it for time. Aim to get up to 2 mins.

I like to arm up for squats with foam rolling my IT Bands and doing some glute activation

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yup. IT band is fibrous tissue, sort of like a long tendon, only even less give. (tendons don’t have much give to begin with). You simply aren’t going to make it longer.

But the muscles connected to it can be loosened. Targeting the TFL helped me previously.

Not sure what you mean by inner quads. But quads don’t really affect the hip.

I like Cossacks as a hip stretch. But on the straight leg. For the squatting, I think thE body weight squat hold above is ideal. But aiming for more than 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

A couple of years ago, I was getting a pain on the side of my knee and no matter what I did the pain kept coming back even after rest. It was my IT band and I started stretching it. Did this for a few days and the pain disappeared. I still do the stretches now before or after working out so it doesn't come back.

What I did was find a surface around waist high. Too low and its not enough but too high and you won't hit the right spot. I used the kitchen table! Then put the leg that has the pain on it but turn your foot so that the outside of your knee is on the surface and your baby toe is closest to the surface. So like a hamstring stretch except you are turning your leg. Leave a bend in your knee though. Now bring your upper body down and hold. You are aiming to go down over the outside to target the band on the outside. So you are over your knee to the side.You will feel the outside stretch when you do it right. The usual thing for stretches, a few secs as first then gradually go longer. This is what got rid of my pain.

If that's too awkward, try it on your couch or bed. Sit on the edge and put leg up on the couch or bed as above. Leave other on floor and stretch over the knee to the outside.

Nowadays I do the same stretch on the ground if I am at a gym or outside and no high surface. Both knees will be at 90 degrees. Think as if you are going down on one knee and you rear knee was in line with your front heel , and then you dropped to one side. So if i was stretching my left IT band, Left leg is bent at 90 degrees with outside of knee on ground and left baby toe closest to ground, right leg is bent at 90 degrees also so that inside of my knee and my right big toe are closer to the ground. Now i would stretch down to my left over the knee again.

Now i have progressed to turning my knees over to the right so i am doing the same on the other side, stretching and going back and forth, then not using my hands for base so it is a great mobility drill while stretching. Hope this helps. Its hard to describe stretches but hope I have made it clear.

I’m not sure if you’re saying that you feel like squats have made your IT band tighter or that your IT band is tight and it’s limiting your ability to squat?

In either case, your IT band is meant to be tight and can’t have its length changed to any meaningful degree.

If you’re struggling with squat flexibility - simply practice it more. Holding on to some kind of pillar can help you stretch out in that bottom position.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for that advice.

I guess the feeling I'm having is of a tightness, restricted movements, not even sure if the IT Band is the correct source to be honest! I feel like I am not doing enough preparation in the form of stretches, or mobility warm ups, etc.

As an example, trying to sit cross legged on the floor with my kids, or whenever I am in a kayak, I find very uncomfortable

I getcha. You’re probably just generally tight from inactivity. Lots of resources on YouTube for lower body flexibility/mobility that could help. Practicing the movements you want to be flexible in will be most efficient.

Progressing upper body pull? was simple enough since last June was doing 10X3 Pull down , supported row and single arm Dumbbell raise, the 10 x 3s morphed into 5X6 as my progression was adding weight. I might have one more dumbbell increase in me in a couple of months. After the summer I do want to focus on pull/chin ups and possibly doing a few rungs on the monkey bars but in the meantime what sort of progression is worth looking at ? Im generally just interested in strength and to the extent it balances the push activity.

In terms of priority Im more lower body oriented and in terms of upper body I do the bones of 90 reps in an upper body push session, my main goal there is to up my OHP 10kg in however long that will take , the easy increases are behind me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Storage of home equipment

Over the last 2 years thanks to Covid lockdowns etc I've accumulated a few small bits - few sets of dumbells, few kettlebells, a set of weights and bar (also known as a pump set according to google) and a mat. At the moment they are thrown higgledy-piggledy under the stairs and taken out when I want to do a workout (usually 3 mornings a week). I don't really want to leave them out when not in use, prefer to have them put away after. Any ideas for storage, preferably under stairs.

If you've been pushing hard at it for a while it might be wise to reduce your weights by 10-20% so your body can recuperate and be ready to start pushing again.

I also find that building a bigger base of volume work almost always helps break a plateau. Try getting weights you used to do for 3x10 up to 5x10 etc. If you find you can't do that then you're likely not eating/sleeping enough.

cheers, are you saying you would have a preference for working with a weight you can do 10 reps of over 5?

Typically yeah. For volume work I just try to get 30-60 total reps. That could be 3x10, 4x15, 6x5 etc. Progressing the weight you can handle in that range will increase what you can do for 5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sit up / foot anchor..

all, I probably have the wrong technique but I’ve been having to get anchoring my feet under my bike during sit ups.. not ideal as feet get sore fast so is there any devices that are designed to help ? I can just find this…and was looking to see if anyone is using one or an alternative…?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

An option is just to move away from conventional sit-ups / something that you feel requires anchoring of the feet, and look at a broader range of movements like Russian twists, side bends, leg raises and the McGill sit-up etc.

Advertisement