Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

On the student visa issue, I understand why they feel aggrieved. If you come here to study, do an undergrad and a post grad, or an undergrad and then get a legitimate job, have spent four or five years here built a life here and are doing everything legally you would be right to feel higher up the pecking order than people who have been here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

One of the main, though never acknowledged, reasons the FFG vote has been decimated in recent years is their embracement of unthinking progressivism.

This dangerous and immoral nonsense is the latest manifestation.

The remainder of the political body and the Irish media tow the same line in this particular with Soviet uniformity. A climate of fear reigns. Careerism leads as dissenting thought becomes a thing of the past.

We are instructed breathlessly on the ruinous potential of largely imagined extremists among us. Meanwhile, extremists are in government and/or in positions of influence over said government, implementing damaging policies without scrutiny, much less challenge.

The public seethes privately, resisting on the rare occasions we are given a democratic voice on the matter. The opportunities are deliberately kept rare. There is no longer a comfortable home for moderates on the political landscape.

Submitting to ideological agendas in place of prudent governance. FFG have not just abandoned the Centre, they've abandoned reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

smells like a trap

“undocumented” come forward are immediately arrested and deported

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭malinheader

There used to be a cartoon with a man walking around with a board over his shoulders saying "The end is nigh". It certainly is for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What you describe is what got Trump elected in America and what got Brexit done in the UK.

And I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the various governments in places like Poland and Hungary.

The problem for Ireland is that there is no alternative.

The opposition, namely SF and Labour are even more zelos progressives than FF or FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm guessing you have absolutely no credible source for that 100K. That's equivalent to all the UK residents. Why would a boss stop someone applying? Strange world really where 100K seem to be aided and abetted by an apparently large number of shady non tax-compliant bosses.

If you've done everything legally and are now working then where is the issue? More about paper not refusing ink in that story.

Everybody living in Ireland, particularly all UK and EU citizens, should be required to register at their local county council office. We have no idea who lives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If I was a conspiracy theorist, you'd almost think they are trying to create a far (just right of centre) right in this country so they can naively imagine themselves as the "good guys".

There is nobody I feel comfortable voting for at the moment. All parties seem to want more or less the same things, have the same policies etc

Why exactly would we do that with UK and EU citizens, all of whom have free movement? If you live and work here you will end up registered via a PPS number anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Timfy

Didn't everyone cheer when the same thing happened in the states for the Irish "undocumented?"

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It’s a good trap, if not here legally they should be deported asap

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You'd swear it was 100% the way some people hop up and down

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Which is about the number of people who are not identified as Irish in the population just as the remaining 83% represents Irish people.

Because we have no idea who lives here. We know all legal non EU people living here. Doesn't impact free movement, doesn't stop anyone moving here. If you go to live in many EU countries, there is a requirement to register your domicile

Actually 17% are foreign born, which does not mean foreign. I'm foreign born, yet I'm completely Irish.

It is almost impossible to live here and perform any type of activity without proof of address, i.e. domicile.

And yet 83% of our prison population are home-grown Irish-born.

That's not the point. Anybody can move here from the UK or the EU with absolutely no requirement to tell anybody they live here. That's not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What the hell are they at with this scheme???

Some kick in the teeth for genuine migrants who chose to do things following the legal route

does mcentee think this will “play well” with middle ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be willing to bet that unless the political landscape changes here one of the subjects that will never be put to a direct vote of the electorate is immigration. The only time it was way back in 04 with the birth passport loophole the Irish electorate said yes to closing it in the highest percentage of agreement in any recent referendum. Both repeal the 8th and the same sex marriage referendums had lower winning margins and we consider them 'landslide' victories.

The problem is our political landscape. The days of 'the parish' and nepotistic gombeenism are still with us. If Hall's Pictorial Weekly(for the old farts out there) was a youtube channel it wouldn't be running out of material any time soon. You have both McEntee and Coveney who inherited their political power from daddy, after daddy fell off the twig, or in the case of the latter a cliff after it was found money was resting in his Ansbacher account. But these jokers and those like them get in because of our backward parochial forelock tugging 19th century mindset. And then you have the Healy Raes...

And then you have the 'alternatives'. Either full right on student union Lefties, who get a couple of people in, but have no power, or the full right complete jokes like the NP who only get a couple of votes, literally, and have no power thank christ. SF would be exactly the same or worse than FFG on this subject, though at least they'd be different faces. For a time.

And behind it all a load of high level civil servants and a holdover of good loul catholic Ireland a multitude of overlapping tax funded NGO's with the ear of the political class.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They are here and at the mercy of unscrupulous employers, with no security for their lives. Most will obviously be working already.

I don't see an issue with making them legal.

Why is that a bad thing? You haven't made much of a case for the need for it, apart from other EU countries doing something and that in your opinion it's not good.

Any drug dealing, criminal, sexual deviant (who isn't complying with his court ordered supervision) can move here, tell no-one, and noone is aware they are here.

I don't know why people wouldn't want to know who is living here.

How about making them backpay all the income tax they thieved. How about convicting and then punishing them and their employers for fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

You would be willing to take a bet that a country that has in its 100 years never had an ordinary referendum will not have an ordinary referendum to appease a minority of racists who have the support of no political parties in the country.

Really going out on a limb there wibbs.

Oh sorry you have the support of the national party.

I don't believe the Minister for Justice has mentioned prosecuting any of the businesses who have been involved in tax evasion with these illegals?

It's probably not within her remit 😏

The absolute support and or silence from every Irish TD and councillor connected with the political parties in Ireland on this subject is impressive. I've never seen anything get such unanimous support, or is it because they are cowards staying quiet to protect their careers and pockets...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,694 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only time it was way back in 04 with the birth passport loophole the Irish electorate said yes to closing it in the highest percentage of agreement in any recent referendum.

Pretty sure the amendment to the divorce one was the highest since the Good Friday agreement, the Judges pay what was overwhelmingly voted for too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

what if those Irish illegals had stayed here when there weren't jobs? They would have got social welfare which you would be paying for.

Advertisement