Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options
  • 14-09-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi

Am I correct in thinking that if I import a bike from EU (ie. France, Belgium, Netherlands) that I will only have to pay the normal VRT charges? (€2 per cc etc) and that there will be no extra charges in these post Brexit days.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bike dealers in these countries which I could contact?

Thanks in advance.

Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Yes, brought one in from Germany last week, just did the VRT today, all good, no hassles (e.g. didn't ask for officially translated documents which, I gather, can in theory happen).

Websites mobile.de autoscout24.com (might be others, just google it).

In Germany you should get your own number plate to export it (plates are personal to the owner). I gather you MIGHT get away with any old numberplate to get you on the ferry but I don't know you if you would come unstuck when trying to VRT it. My dealer threw it in with the bike so no brainer to do it fully properly. If you dont want to go yourself then about €450+VAT to get someone to bring it back for you (Dublin for that price, more if further) - Jarvis Transport 087 646 3753.

Make sure its 6 months old and 6,000 km on the clock or you'd owe VAT on top of VRT, which would probably take the good out of it, which is why I didn't look at the UK, bought cars from there in the past (post Brexit there'd be VAT, & maybe customs, due). I ran a VIN Check Europe & History, Odometer, Accidents... - 100% (vinspy.eu), dunno how good it is but it picked up the correct bike so its not a complete scam anyway.

If going yourself (marginally cheaper and you get an adventure) then make sure you have your own Satnav and are used to it. I was planning to use googlemaps but phone wouldnt work (even with roaming & what not) - would've been....interesting.... if dealer hadn't thrown in an old satnav. I can give you dealer name but he's BMW & I think I got a good deal on a Suzuki he maybe didn't want hangning around, so if it's a Beemer you're after let me know. Unless you're very good with mechanics you're probably better off buying something relatively fresh, would be a bummer to go, not like, and have to book a last minute flight home. I brought cash, debit card wouldn't work (we tried). You probably need to have your dealing done before you go, realistically they are probably not going to knock off a few quid for a scratch or whatever when they know this is your only way home... Anyway, so far so good after about 1,500 kms.🙏🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Thanks for quick and comprehensive reply.

Coincidentally I am considering a BMW so any further info would be appreciated. I am getting into older years and am thinking of getting one of those C400 BMW scooters. I have been off bikes for a number of years but have about 25 years experience of riding road bikes. 

So any further info would be great. i.e. What vehicle documents I need to collect from German dealer, dealer details etc.

Thanks again for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the bike is <6 months old or <6000 km you'll get hit for Irish VAT, you can reclaim the VAT you paid in Germany because VAT is only paid once in the EU. How easy or fast to get the VAT back I've no idea but don't rule out a bike because of VAT. Britain being a 3rd country you can't reclaim VAT, but you can still import VAT free from NI if you can find a bike which meets the criteria.

http://www.bmw-otto.de/ are the guys I dealt with, Thomas Otto. Fly into Frankfurt, train & taxi.

There should be all the docs like Cert of Conformity, QC, then the German version of the log book showing the previous owner(s) - this is on green paper, shows the old reg, VIN, date first registered etc. (which will dictate your Irish plate year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 KaiserSochez

Have a look at the C650 Sport Maximus! An absolute hoot and I’ve owned everything from 50cc mopeds up to the current fleet of RR,1300GT, 690, Zephyr 750. The C650 is simply amazing...180kms top speed and loads of grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

A good site for looking at used bikes from Europe. Its a site that consolidates all ads and clicking on a particular ad takes you to the actual page/site where it is being advertised. I was looking at prices for a few models (in Germany and France specifically) and these look to be much cheaper than here in Ireland where the availability itself is poor to start with - even with the €450 shipping charges and VRT. A 660cc 2008 model is about €100 for VRT for example

Has anyone used Jarvis Transport? I have heard that they will have a quick look at the bike for as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I used him to export a vehicle to Austria, and it worked out well for me and the buyer, so I was happy with his service.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Used them several times for bikes mostly UK stuff but the continent only once. Never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Can I ask would a bike that is first registered in April this year in NI fit the criteria for not paying vat customs import charges

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Do you mean a 2021 registered in April or one imported into NI in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

Good question.

I recently bought a bike, first registered in EU (Netherlands) in April 2021, and rode it back.

Make sure what you're looking at is over 6000kms, otherwise VAT will be charged here and you (more than likely) cannot reclaim it in the EU country of purchase.

The process couldn't have been simpler:

Buy bike, ride home, VRT appointment, pay VRT on the day.

And I got an 1100km road trip on the way home in glorious 18 Deg C and sunshine.

Win-Win methinks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

then you'll be ok so long as mileage is over 6000kms

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Is it the same as a car where its the mileage at the time you present it to get registered rather than the mileage when you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Yea, millage when you present to the vrt centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

If you're flying over, book a return flight, just in case.

It happened to me (just once) that the bike pictures in the advert were a few years old and the bike wasn't as described. I walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jeremyr62

Having bought some of my bikes in the UK before, that is now not an option for me due to the complexity and cost of the importing process. Anyway, does anyone know which EU countries are the easiest to deal with? We have the Netherlands, Belgium, France Germany and Italy reasonably close.

Having the dealer speak English is going to be an advantage and that's much more likely in the Netherlands and then maybe Germany. Good luck with France and Italy 😉

Reading above it looks like Germany can be a problem with the number plate? I wonder if that is true of other EU countries. I suspect this is going to become a frequently asked question too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Newbie rider here considering import, on phoning for insurance quotes on a hypothetical bike, one of the questions I was asked was, what is it an import? There's hardly a loading on EU imported bikes is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

Just a question they have to ask incase something comes up. But when you import a UK vehicle that was a write off, it isn't mentioned on the irish VRC cert that its had substantial damage before or was an insurance write off.

Just been through this recently from Netherlands, from a dealer : it's easy-peasy: look, buy, fly, ride home. VRT in & out the door in 20 minutes.

Bike came with export plates and 2 weeks Green Card insurance (TPO, mind) and a full tank of petrol included.

What a refreshing change.

Nice 1000km spin home across NL/BE/FR in 17/18 Degree temps and no rain :)

I've done Germany previously, and equally painless.

Ode To The Motorist

thanks for the info, but if we want to have it shipped home? Are dealers reliable - buy without seeing the bike over there in person and have it shipped over? This is a general question as I guess all dealers might not be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jeremyr62

OK, that's good to know. Did they organise the export plates for you? Been kind of spoilt importing from the UK for so long. It's a wrench to go further afield but good to hear it's doable. The adventure side of it holds no fear, just the red tape when you try to import it.

It was actually easier than many of the UK ones I've done in the past. Dealer organised everything : plates, insurance, fuel even. I just turned up with my gear, put destination in the sat-nav and hit the road.

No red tape of note at all. All the negotiation, paperwork, payments done in advance by email and a few phone calls, I literally got a bike handover session, signed the delivery papers, hit the road.

Ode To The Motorist

I've bought & had bikes delivered from Germany in the past. If it's coming on a pallet you don't need any plates, but you do need the KFZ-schein (log book to you & I). Most are proficient at strapping bikes to shipping pallets, but you have to arrange the courier yourself usually. (well I used to anyway). Here's how a main BMW dealer straps a GS I got, some years ago:

Someone like Jarvis Transport in Dublin will collect it for you without a pallet too.

I didn't ship the GW that way because of the sheer size & value of it.

Ode To The Motorist

or, an R1100RT from even further back - a particularly good pallet imho.

And, I think Overlanders in Wexford can facilitate shippping into Ireland as well - they move bikes to/from Ireland all the time, so they might be worth a call.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Thanks - was thinking of Jarvis as they came highly recomended. I have bought cars from the UK, but then flew over to have a look phyiscally... My German friends assure me that even private sellers will be ok to buy from as sellers there usually will be quite honest about the goods that they are selling. But offcourse you are always nervous about buying something without looking at it - Jarvis apparently helps in comms and looking over the bike as well for you - thats a plus point for me

Advertisement