Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Do you have a link ?

I have thought this from Omicron Day 1.

"Our" authorities,who would have been all over the RSA like a rash,had their Omicron been worse outcomes,chose to initially ignore,then attempt to dilute the VERY steady stream of hard statistical information emanating from South Africa,referring to oul blarney about population age,AIDS,Vaccine resistance etc etc.

Anybody looking for a definition of Racism,has to look no further than OUR Politco/Medical elite and their behaviour over the past 2 months !

Statisticians,Modellers and Viroligists.......Self proclaimed and self promoting chancers in the main.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

It was all an exercise to see who is the most compliant and the irish were pretty great ( or stupid ) there will be other virus down the line this was to get a picture of just how far the governments can push us and a lot of lemmings got or rather ran over the cliff for them.. the next time they will be worse & even harder on us and after that and so on and so on . But at least they, Leo & Michael are happy that the irish were teachers pets ....... the best in show the european lap dogs panting for a pat on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I saw it on Twitter. It wasn't this tweet in particular I don't think but it looks like the same video. https://twitter.com/abirballan/status/1485544167002488832

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Well I have the same name as my father so just used his pass, yeah I think I won 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I don't know where to begin.

Maybe look at influenza vaccine. The vaccine is typically ineffective after six months. The covid19 vaccine wears off too hence the need for more.... It's not like a polio vaccine that gives life long immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you're ever wondering why the lockdown went ok on so long have a read of this

in fairness, doctors in hospital find it hard to relate the deadly 2020 wave to Omicron and fair play to NPHET this time for ending the pandemic but still seems a lot of people want to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t see much wrong with that thread tbh. Its not as if they are saying they are anxious about going back because they don’t feel safe in the workplace or because they are vulnerable etc.

I think I’d be the same if I had to go back to commuting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Fragile supply chains put under pressure by vaccine mandates. Hopefully the protests against this in Canada can help to ensure the future food supply.

Trucker protest against vaccine mandates in British Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The only thing they really did was get people under 30 vaccinated. As seen with the massive drop off on booster uptake,it was clear that it was to get the pass to go to pubs and restaurants. Despite what the media propaganda was hailing it as at the time.

But we all know at this stage, the young healthy people didn't need the vaccines and it did nothing to stop the spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Anti-science was another one thrown out there.

If people said they wanted to wait until the long term side effects were known then they were anti-science. Most people using the term anti-science in any of the debates on vaccinations didn't seem to understand what science even is!

Not saying there's anything wrong but I am saying there is a cohort happier with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair, they are happier working from home, they don’t mention anything about being happier with restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are already preparing Canadians for food shortages. But it's totally OK and normal and nothing to panic about. Punishing those anti vaxx truckers who work alone is more important than full shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

"Science" has come to mean (to some) something like "the stuff that the 'experts' (as decided by the media and politicians) say on any given day". It is ever changing, but treated as an institution all the same.

Knowing that science is a process that requires the errors of today for the progress of tomorrow is not very in vogue right now.

Speaking of science - I bumped into an acquaintance in Tesco earlier. She was one of the only people wearing a mask and, despite me not asking, made sure to let me know that she was only wearing it out of consideration for others, just in case she's infected, you know.

She'd gone to the trouble of acquiring an FFP2 mask... with a valve. 🤦‍♀️

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I completely disagree: unvaccinated were kept out because in the eyes of the vaccinated were the ones carrying the virus, and for this the covid cert restrictions were implemented. Then they realized that even with the vaccine you could get infected so the narrative changed and they started saying that, "yes, but less sick and less infected", still the unvaccinated were left out. Then they realized that there was basically no difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated (remember 22nd of october and the u-turn the following week?) : still the unvaccinated were blamed because 50 of them were in ICU. But yeah big celebrations for whoever had a cert, finally they could enjoy a socially distanced pint till 8PM, and the narrative changed again: we cannot reopen because of those 50, we use the covid cert because we can save the unvaccinated from entering a place full of infected vaccinated otherwise they WILL end up ALL in icu. It took them a further 3 months for the science (this time the real one) to realize that mask and vaccination status doesn't make any difference: let's see how long it will last

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

See, you're still.posting complete nonsense about the effectiveness of vaccines, its still the binary works or doesn't work when even at the very beginning, everything was percentages, now, hopefully we're at the end stage of this and it won't matter soon and this is one last attempted mental gymnastics.

I mean, nothing you've posted is in any way scientific, why pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had a similar conversation over the weekend and the main reason for continuing to wear a mask was as you said, this idea of protecting others - even if those others are unmasked themselves and quite happy to get back to normal.

Mask wearing seems to have become more a virtue signalling morality crusade than anything to do with "the science" or health. When I asked what they'd do if they got on a bus of unmasked people, they admitted they'd probably take it off too.

To me this demonstrates the Irish need to "fit in" and be on the "right" side of an issue more than anything.

Interesting that mask wearing seems to have fallen away in Tesco though. I haven't been in a supermarket since last week (I hate grocery shopping and do it once a week 😊) but I must see what the mood is locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's a nice big pile of horseshit.

I love how people like to pretend that Covid remained static and unchanged but the "science" changed its mind.

Vaccination status became less important when a new variant came along which reduced the burden on hospitals.

Anti-vaxers naturally have a victim complex, so they'd like to think that the purpose of the certs along was punishment.

The reality is that it was always about the pressure on the hospitals. Once a variant came along that demonstrated that it posed no threat to the hospitals, restrictions were dropped.

Funny that. Doesn't satisfy the victim complex though.

The unvaccinated are still at considerably higher risk of death and serious illness from Omicron, but there's no longer a risk to the hospitals, so we don't care about that. Let them at it.

@foxsake

You can deny it for whatever biased reason you want - but it doesn't make your assertion true.

You can claim it for whatever biased reason you want - doesn't make your assertion true

I'm not going to claim there wasn't pressure to get vaccinated. Of course there was.

Do you think someone who doggedly refuses to give up the cigarettes because "pressure from the state and the media", deserves a medal?

There is always public health advice flying around. Is everyone who refuses to heed it also a hero fighting a battle against peer pressure?

Like I say, easy to "win" when the battle is entirely in your head.

Post edited by seamus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭foxsake

the analogy isn't accurate. The pressure to give up smoking is weak as piss.

You don't have the state / media whipping people up into a frenzy saying "cos of those people we can't have nice things"

You don't have people excludedfrom pubs/restaurants/gym etc... or told they weren't welcome at home for Christmas based on their smoking status?

They don't have to have a pcr thing rammed up their nose when flying for their smoker status or risk haven't their jobs impacted.

at worse they get loaded for their life assurance and have to smoke in the rain. It's hardly the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

As well as the virtue signalling there are still a large amount of people who think their surgical mask is keeping them safe. I’m blue in the face telling several elderly family members that it doesn’t, but they seem to need the safety blanket. This is why NPHET were against mask wearing at the start, anyone truly vulnerable should be paying attention to where they go, and not relying on strangers wearing bits of cloth.

@foxsake wrote:

at worse they get loaded for their life assurance and have to smoke in the rain. It's hardly the same .

It's nearly exactly the same. If someone wasn't welcome at home, that's not the state or the media's fault. That's other people making decisions for themselves. The unvaccinated can't bang on about the right to their own opinion, and then bitch about others also having their own opinions.

Any road, the point is that refusing to heed public health advice doesn't make someone a hero. Especially if they do it out of principle. Just because someone has a right to choose, doesn't make their decision a correct one.

I forgot to say in the previous post, but I appreciate the apology.

That's true too. You only have to look at how quickly and widely Omicron spread to see how ineffective the cheap cloth masks are (which most are only wearing because of the legal requirements anyway).

Completely agree that a false sense of security has settled around their use. People who are vulnerable to Covid are probably just as vulnerable to a whole host of other things and should absolutely be responsible for their own safety and activities based on what their medical advice and history dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

We'vee basically had 2 years of our lives cancelleddd for nothing

A fear of a few extra people in ICU

When the analysis and reports into the last 2 years come out I think that's exactly what we discover, as well as that the mistakes made with nursing homes early on contributed hugely to the deaths and overreactions that followed in national policy. Also expect that we'll see scandals around spending and contract awards and that we spent a fortune that was largely unnecessary.

Of course, no-one will face any consequences for this. It'll be the public that has to live with it and pick up the tab as usual.

That's mostly life tbh

The biggest issue is the lack of protest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Ah yes angry people randomly yelling at everyone else - that would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

If it's anything like a lot of the posts on this thread - then yes.

Advertisement