Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They're making 3 year olds wear masks now??

Did I miss something or was this quietly slipped in after the public backlash.

Are these "rules" still only recommendations at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They mean 3rd class to 6th class.

3 year olds don't go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No it's 1st class and up I think which would imply 6/7 year olds. Technically they are "rules" but to my knowledge Teachers haven't been enforcing them in the past and won't start enforcing it now

3rd class and up. And it's not being enforced any more (we never enforced it in the first place, we said public health have advised it, and left it at that). A few kids come in at 9 with a mask around their chin, but by 12 o'clock there's not one to be seen.

It's all for show, pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It’s not 1st class up the advice is 3rd to 6th Class

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The argument for keeping Masks in certain places is that if you are in a vulnerable category can "choose" to stay away from Pubs/Nightclubs etc. but you may have no option but to travel on Public transport , go to a shop or indeed go to school/work.

So they are keeping the masks there for a little while longer which I can see the logic for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I can understand the mask part but students must still sit 1m apart in classrooms (2nd level), can't do group work, can't use dressing rooms for PE or sports etc etc. Masks would be the least part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well fair enough, that would be 9/10 year olds so if I recall my primary school days?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I thought I was delighted the 8pm curfew was gone, but having had time to reflect and being on the second day of a 2 day hangover.... I think not closing pubs at 8 is a bad idea!

Haven't felt positive energy in Ireland like what I experienced last Saturday night for a long time.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They will not tweak any remaining measures; they will either stay in place as they are or go in their entirety. February 28 may be a good bet for the end of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Those whole sh1tshow has turned me against government and the media

Never was the anti government type

Given you have the likes of Pat Kenny calling for 2 year olds to be masked previously, it wouldn't surprise me if they had tried something in playschools as well.

Kids, period, shouldn't be masked. It's actually depressing to see them in shops with them because some people still think there's a "deadly virus" out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Yes, 2 pubs I was in over weekend were back to normal pre March 2020 as per the new regulations. And it was a fecking joy to behold.

But one restaurant / pub still had (mask needed, table service only etc) Like WTF? This was yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

They have won this battle because dispite the best efforts of the media and Politicians the general public never turned against the unvaccinated, the unvaccinated have as much freedom today as the vaccinated, footfall was down substantially in pubs for the last 6 months

If they keep that up they'll find business falls off a cliff. No one will put up with that now when everywhere else is back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Won what battle? The purpose of covid certs was to keep unvaccinated people out of high-risk areas and help prevent overloaded hospitals. I think you'll find in reality the covid certs won.

The unvaccinated have "won" nothing. Certs weren't dropped because of them. There was never a campaign or plan to force vaccinations that they "fought" against. They literally had to "fight" by doing nothing.

In anti-vaxxer heads they believe there was some grand plan to force everyone to get vaccinated and lock them out of society. And they've "won" by holding firm.

Really easy to win a battle when your foe is completely imaginary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

I didn't hang around there too long, was in and out. Couldn't get my head around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. What fcuking planet are these people living on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Very interesting and concerning to hear Angelique Coetzee, the South African doctor who was first saying Omicron is mild back in November and that European countries were overreacting, say today that she faced immense pressure from European politicians not to say that Omicron was mild.

It fits with the continuing reluctance to lift restrictions and the chasing of mandate legislation by some of the more... historically predisposed. But it makes you wonder why.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

Reading the above it reminds me of how we were "advised" to accept the Bailout:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33185690

I keep saying it, the EU is not a good thing as a political entity. Maybe it's as simple as them having overestimated the long term impact and locking themselves into vaccine deals with the Pharma companies, but when you see German police out with Covid Sticks like in the above video, who knows?!

If some don't want speculation and conspiracy theories it would certainly help if the authorities and decision-makers stopped doing bizarre things without justification or explanation.

If the point of the covid certs were as you say, you would expect the media worriers to be concerned about potential rising infections and hospital ovewhelm.

They're not. They're worried about no longer having a means to coerce people into vaccination. And they are saying so openly.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I used to see "anti-vaxxer" as an insult. And then they changed the definition to mean that anyone against vaccination or vaccine mandates is an anti-vaxxer.

Funny thing, I've been a proud anti-vaxxer ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Ultimately the pandemic showed that it is not the first order often most immediate consequences of our decisions that matter but those 2nd and 3rd order consequences that we ought to optimise for. It is only now that the latter will come up to the surface and will be judged.

Fundamentals for dealing with covid have been very solid from the early days. We knew that it affected very tiny portion of the population with everybody else with virtually at zero risk. If anything the fundamentals improved over time while the strategy of dealing with covid went the opposite direction - measures became more and more disproportional to the risk. That is something that needs to be answered as there is a massive gap between the science & data and policies that were forced upon us.

Hats off to those men and women who early on saw the pandemic for what it was and those who were not afraid to change their minds in time. It has been a pandemic of a very mild virus with totalitarian measures designed to enforce compliance and desired behaviour of the population.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

This pandemic has taught me a lot about government and media

Maybe they know what they're doing but I dunno I'll take my chanches from here on in

Not according to Merriam Webster, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is considered a greater authority on word definitions than Astrofool of boards dot ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Open to correction,but was Germany's social distance set at 1.5 Metre ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's mad, I'll stick to the Oxford or dictionary.com definitions (I know they changed the wording slightly on MW but that was a minor update on what was already there).

• Advertisement

I agree that it's mad.

But I also object to being called an anti-vaxxer as someone who's taken (and had their children take) all other vaccines ever offered (plus a few I had to seek out myself), has volunteered to help with measles uptake efforts in the past, has never advised anyone else not to take a vaccine, but has reservations about vaccines made on a condensed timeline with novel ingredients. So your mileage may vary, regardless.

Advertisement