Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z continues high pressure from beginning to end however some of the ensemble members are still flirting with cold. There is an extreme cold outlier which is probably the coldest chart i've seen all winter. This basically has 0.001% chance of happening but if it did we would end up with daytime temperatures around -5 or possibly lower and nighttime temperatures well past -10C particularly if there was snow cover. Now this is a proper northerly and not the amateur hour stuff we normally get from the north.

Imagine if this ended up verifying. The would certainly make up for the all the crap we've been through this winter. Sadly this is highly unlikely. -10C uppers over the Costa Del Sol too! Uppers around Ireland close to -20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah it's an amazing run. I'm sure there has been times in the past we got things this cold. I think this run is possibly colder than December 2010? Hopefully the pub run has a few more good ones. I may as well post them here just for fun as there is not much fun in posting the same high pressure charts over and over between now and February!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭pauldry

Since pub closes at 8pm now the pub run is the same as other runs. High pressure for 384 hours.

CFS starts the February blizzard at 504 hours on the 3rd.

• Advertisement

GFS 12z continues to tease us with some extreme cold outliers but as long as they keep appearing even in their limited form, there is still a chance of some cold or very cold conditions on the table. There is still hope we may go into a wintry spell in the final 5 days of January although most of them look no more than 2 or 3 days of proper cold.

There are a few others in the GFS 12z set that get close to the above and with some more upgrades several others could potentially fall in line.

The GEM 12z is also producing a few cold outliers for now. Something I haven't seen on the GEM for quite some time.

I do feel we are perhaps edging slightly closer towards the models becoming more interesting in the next week, however as always these remain very much outliers and we need alot more of them to come onboard within the next week if we are to get a chance of cold and snow in the final days of January.

The main trend i'm seeing from most of the GFS and GEM ensembles is that as we enter the final week of January the cold really builds to our north-west, north and north-east so the potential to get a very cold period will increaase and will pay off dividends if we do, but as always we will need loads of luck for the sun, moon and stars to all align at the right time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭esposito

As is the case lately the ECM offers nothing of interest out to 240 hrs. Been a long time since I saw a snowy chart from the ECM

GFS pub run rolling out.

Could we be finally seeing an end to the high pressure? A fairly active low pressure moving across the Atlantic towards Ireland could change where we go from next week? Let's see how the rest of the run turns out but i'm in the mood for a change. Even if we get the atlantic back temporarily, it may put us in a better position than we are right now which is going nowhere fast. We need a change to reset things.

Edit: a failed attempt at bringing back the Atlantic and getting rid of the high pressure. It goes south to Spain for a few days and then comes back right over us. We just can't get rid of it. If tonights run was to run in the middle of July we would be having a 1976 style summer with low to high twenties regularly.

Was just 5 or 6c all day in Sligo today so it was actually a day that felt like Winter. Not much happening in the next two weeks though. Dry cloudy some rain some sun. Hopefully lots of cold loaded to all sides of North will burst the dam in February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

Thank God for the happy ending to your post as I'm loving the settled weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ascophyllum

GFS still keeping the dream alive for the end of January

I see that. The freezing February is on. Don't be going letting us down February ok. 0c by day and minus 7 by night.

Just one month of freezing weather then ya can be mild and warm. Are ya listening to me weather?

The GFS and it's ensembles are starting to show a reasonable chance of cold and wintry weather either the final week of January or first week of February. Will we get to 5 days away and then the models will dash our hopes once again.

The ECM and it's 42 day range charts is showing nothing but mild and high pressure for the rest of winter. Just seen the update on Gavsweather and I think poor Gav has had enough of this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Some years early February can bring our best spell of wintry weather. Last yr we were unlucky not to get something better during early February. Maybe this yr early feb might give us something more interesting.

Last February was extremely mild from what I can remember and so was March. Last winter seemed like a teaser winter but in reality most of the winter was mild except for final week of December and while much of January was cooler than average it never really got properly cold. It was April and much of May that were notably cold for the time of year. The February before last was also very mild with some places reaching 18C towards the end of the month. I have a feeling this February may be more seasonal but we have to see where this high pressure goes and how soon we can get rid of it first.

GEM 6z set of ensembles beginning to show signs of latching onto cold during final week of January. Not a whole lot of support but it's good to see the GEM beginning to move away from solidly mild charts.

This one is particularly nice.

Like the GFS, there are only a few members bringing in proper cold, we need more of these to start falling in line soon and if we get that then we need support from the other models too.

Both the GEM and GFS still teasing cold in their ensemble sets this afternoon. GFS has about 11 out of 32 members going for a properly cold end to January and the GEM now has 8 out of 22 members going for a similar level of cold to end the month. Yesterday the GEM only had 1 or 2 members going for the cold so a decent shift there today, however the GFS has been teasing this for a few days now and I would like to see a bigger shift on the pub run tonight and both models by the morning.

Well north of 1050hPa for the end of the month! Record territory. This high is not for turning.

A horrific pub run for those who want cold and snow. This would be magical if it was the summer. I've seen the odd CFS run keep this high pressure going till the middle of February.

Tonights Pub run may have been really poor but overall an upgrade with the ensemble members. A fairly big swing to cold to colder than average temperatures pushed forward from January 29th to January 25th.

Would like to see more upgrades tomorrow on both the GFS and GEM suite of models and positive signs developing on the ECM and Icon over the next few days for this trend to carry any weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All models now hinting at an end to the high pressure and a return of the mild westerlies or south-westerlies for the beginning of February.

ECM: The high begins to retreat into the continent and we are bathed in very mild south-westerlies

GEM: The high sinks south back to Spain/Portugal and we are in a very mild westerly and may turn more unsettled

GFS:

Probably the coolest option, high sinks to our south and cooler westerlies to north-westerlies are back and potentially becoming very windy.

First time in almost 3 weeks the models are agreeing on something that isn't high pressure dominated. The models could easily back track to high pressure at this early stage. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Given how the winter and 2021 in general went, id be surprised if we turn mild in Feb, it surely has to get colder at some stage. Right? RIGHT? 😂

Very dry right out until month's end... would parts of Ireland note their driest January on record? @sryanbruen might know!

7.5mm in Lusk, Dublin County (1950) is the official record. Are there any parts of the country below 10mm this month? Dublin airport is 11.1mm presently, perhaps there are a few isolated spots on the climate network.

It will turn colder at some point but recent Februarys have been mild or very mild. Winter 2019/2022 had no cold weather whatsoever and this winter appears no different either. We may not turn cold till March or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭mcburns07

They didn't but Oct and Nov of 2019 were quite a bit below average, i'm just thinking more off the back of the long run of warmer than average months we've had., Jan is on track to make it 8 months in a row and 10 of the last 14 months.

Ashford is up around 20mm I think, trying to judge from the wow.met.ie data.

Hard to know if there are any sub 7.5mm stations around the east/southeast.

50mm in Sligo since Jan 1st. It's felt less but I guess there's been bits and pieces most in the first 8 days.

February will surely be a wash out

• Advertisement

Yep I think it could be a deluge month and possibly quiet stormy. The PV isn't messing around over the next few weeks as it may ramp up to become very energetic by the time we get to February.

The NAO and particularly the AO could go very positive so expect a serious jetstream.

If all this verifies this is the final nail in the coffin for this winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement