Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭ McGiver

Very disappointing and giving a leeway and arsenal to the Brexit regime in the UK.

That means that the EU doesn't have its own ability and/or capacity to pull it out of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,609 ✭✭✭✭ listermint

Reads like they bowed to whatever the banks wanted. Threatening to move to new York...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭ Podge_irl

It probably doesn't have capacity yet but its also a unilateral move that the EU has complete control over, so its not really a win any kind of "taking back control" Brexit position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭ Padre_Pio

Honestly, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same.

Instead of a short sharp shock, they'll see a slow decline. Which pretty much sums up Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭ salonfire

Looks like the Brexiters were right on this one. Yet another example of a hurdle placed in front of the UK, which is overcome. The EU already had since 2016 to prepare, why do they need another three years? The can will continue to be kicked down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭ Strazdas

This has barely even been reported by the Brexit press, despite the story breaking two days ago. I don't think it's as significant as you suggest (too many other things going horribly wrong with their Brexit project).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 87,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Capt'n Midnight

The US is finally getting round to talking to the UK about the steel tariffs that have cut UK exports by 50% and caused at least one company to start moving production to Spain.

Except the US is also talking to Japan so the UK isn't front and centre and any deal with the UK would be dependent on the Northern Ireland Agreement.

• Advertisement

There’s a problem in the sense that there’s been little understanding of any of the positives of EU membership in the U.K. but also there’s been a total lie told to the public by a whole raft of Brexit leaning politicians that promised nothing would change or that trade would even become easier. They’ve moved the goal posts from this notion of improved trading conditions and great opportunists to “look it’s not a total disaster. There’s still food!”

That is where the domestic politics on this will ultimately come to a head. Lies can only go on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭ astrofool

With Boris on the way out and definitely won't be leading the tories at election again, is there any advantage the EU can gain at the moment? They can easily wait it out and then deal with any, likely more EU friendly, successor, but what could they offer to give them a winning headline while really getting a much more favourable deal in place like the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭ McGiver

Ignorance abbeted by the good old exceptionalism. This unfortunately goes from the bottom to the top across the English nation and is even seen in pro-EU individuals in certain aspects.

It's no coincidence UK had so many optouts, were eurosceptic, tried to renegotiate non-negotiable and then finally left in such a disorderly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985

Something that stuck out was the absolute shock when the likes of Barnier were taking the pass out of the Brexit negotiations. That level of bare faces insolence towards the great empire is something they really struggle with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 87,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Capt'n Midnight

More numbers

Volume of trade with NI has gone up over 50% in the context where imports in to NI are down by 1% so unlikely to be goods via the back door.

Volume of trade with GB hasn't changed much but the balance of trade has shifted €5.5Bn in our favour already.

For some reason a lot of trade with the continent isn't using the LandBridge these days.

Welcome to the new normal.

"With traffic returning to normal levels after the Christmas and New Year holidays, there have been short delays but we are working to make sure everyone gets on the earliest crossing possible."

Drivers were also reporting long delays at the inland border facility in Ashford where truckers must pre-notify French authorities ... "30km queues in Calais. I am a Dover customs account manager and it is absolute carnage." ... queues could get much worse in September, when airport-style biometric checks are due to be implemented.

There's a few checks to be added in July too Like Phytosanitary & Export Health Certificates & Safety and Security declarations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭ BlitzKrieg

I saw on a video that you can actually see the line of trucks on google maps and yep sure enough: https://www.google.com/maps/place/51°06'22.3"N+1°15'33.4"E/@51.1062014,1.2581757,487m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5786d6c06d008e89!8m2!3d51.1061997!4d1.2592727

Big contrast between the satelite photos from 2022 and the streetview which is from july 2021.

Though the port itself looks quite empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985

Must be soul destroying to be at the back of that. Even for the que loving English

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee

I saw that (saw the same video!) but they are saying 30km/ml (?) tailbacks at Calais too, and I could not see any at all, the port looked deserted. Depends on the day and time it is filmed I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ timetogo1

What day did you check? I think there are restrictions on moving freight in France during the weekend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee

I checked it yesterday, but the photography would not be up to date to 24 hours I think? I suspect we are way OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭ MBSnr

^^^

The Google sat images/aerial fly over are listed as being from March 2021 onwards in Google Earth for that truck queue in Dover.

There's less if not any queues at the weekends as some EU clearing agents only work mon-fri and truck movements (as mentioned) are restricted at the weekend in France.

I'm not saying there isn't a queue on weekdays, just that the internet using Google imagery to prove it is not correct.

This guy has the low down

Check out ciaran the euro courier 🇪🇺🇮🇪 on Twitter.

European courier and ptsd sufferer so please be https://t.co/oxkIvEqGf1 tweets are based on experience https://twitter.com/vanmaneuro?s=20

The ones I looked at had 2022 on them.

Holyhead and Fishguard ports saw a 30% drop in traffic in 2021, according to its operator Stena Line.

The difference is that here they are blaming Brexit. "In January, we saw a big drop off ranging from 50-60% of our freight volumes,"

Oh and neither of the Welsh Border Control Posts for the July checks will be ready in time. Besides "So, the question is why are we going through all this investment in physical infrastructure when in 2025 we have a digital border potentially coming?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭ MBSnr

Yeah - "Map data Copyright 2022"

Said "Map data Copyright 2021" last year....

Advertisement