Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

its been licked for pace in that one, visibly struggling with traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ouch....not a great outing for the BMW and hard to argue with his points. Interested in the drag race, but not much to recommend the i4 thus far except that its a BMW.

I am surprised that the BMW didn’t win this comparison to be honest.

I trust Mat Watson’s reviews and he likes his beemers generally.

the range quoted for that car being so poor stands out too but I hope that’s a result of enthusiastic motoring journalists driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

I’d think the range is due to 2 reasons:

I4 M50 has been driven only in winter as it only landed in UK around December 2021 where as the tesla was registered a full year earlier and has been driven for a much longer time so making an assumption that it was driven evenly across the year will really improve the range. Having had a Tesla M3P myself and driven it for a year the average range was about 310km from what I remember and during the winter I’d struggle to get from Dublin to Cork, I’d always have to top it up at the supercharger to ensure I’d arrive!!

2nd reason is as you say, it’s been driven enthusiastically by motor racing journalists.

He done a drag race on the runway and the BMW took that one.

I’d love to see a review between the Audi Etron GT, the Porsche Taycan 4S, Model 3 Performance and BMW i4 M50. They are all of a similar power output so would be really interesting to see a full comparison between them all.

After a lot of back and forth with BMW they have changed my colour without impacting the date, but very frustrating to be honest.

• Advertisement

It being a press car having only been driven in winter so far its most likely worst case. Interesting what he says about the acceleration, it being instant, Model 3 gradual. Seems to be the opposite of what other reviews say.

You certainly can’t fault the tech in the Tesla but worth pointing out you get the majority of those features in the i4 aswell, the only optional tech upgrade here in the M50 is the Tech Plus Pack, that costs €2300. The £8k worth of options Matt mentions the majority is not tech related.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Not a fan of Tesla and whilst the M3 is looking dated it beats the BMW.

Shame because the I3 especially in I3S form was fantastic.

i wouldn’t choose either though. The Tesla for looking dated and the BMW for a stepping stone to something maybe better.

Ah found the drag race....to say the BMW took it is true but only by a whisker. That RSymons car is a rental car, I would say its been thrashed its entire life too,

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Jez you must have been driving on that model 3, I've done 50k in a m3p over two years and generally got 360-450kms (winter/summer), just changed it recently for a made in China M3p and getting 350-390 in January so far, most of the videos I've seen so far have shown winter range of less than 280-300 kms for the i4 which is poor really

Did they give you an option of keeping the colour but move the date back? You had tanzanite blue, correct?

• Advertisement

I don't get what you mean by the first question!

I had Portamio blue and changed to Tanzanite after seeing the demo car in Kildare

Sorry, I didn’t read your post correctly. I thought you were saying they had made you change colour in order to make a delivery date. Some discussion on other forums about different colours affecting lead times

I had a Jan 2020 M3P, I think there have been battery improvements since. I wouldn't say I drove it particularly hard by any means. I've 2 examples of the range.

I drove from Dublin to Donegal town and back to Kells in the same day in Aug 2020 and weather was nice, it was about 374km total. I left with 100% charge and landed in Kells again with 5km range. I was driving to the speed limit but on the way back from Cavan to Kells I was taking it very easy as the charger in Cavan wasn't working so kept going to Kells fast charger instead.

Was just looking through the phone there, on the motorway from Cork to Cashel I drove 103km in 59mins and it use 241w/km. So given the battery was 75kWh this would equate to 311km range, and this was in June 2020. Overall though I think the average range useage was around 240w/km.

As I said in winter time I wouldn't take the risk of making it from Dublin to Cork without charging and that about 265km.

IMHO Tanzanite blue is one of the very nicest BMW colours....used to be a exclusive colour on the F8X generation and I lusted after it. Kinda changes colour and can look quite dark indoors and very blue in the sunshine. I think its a good choice, more premium looking than the Poramio blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Agreed, I’d have gone for it on my i40 except herself preferred the dravit grey (which I also love) and I was happy to concede that considering she didn’t insist on an suv! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭v10

Yep the BMW was beaten on launch in this video but who really cares, another video will have the i4 faster, they're clearly very close. It actually impresses me that the i4 can even be on par with the Model 3 acceleration with an extra 400kg on board (add 400kg to the Model3 and see how well it does) . . what concerns me more is him saying the i4 is noisier at motorway speeds and also his comments about the steering. Most of what else he says is subjective, i.e. looks etc. IMO the Tesla model 3 is one of the worst looking cars on the road, inside and out, but like I said subjective, each to their own. The economy comparison was total nonsense, comparing 19000 miles over a year to 1500 of press driving in winter 🙄 I've seen plenty of videos of Model 3s getting bad range, only real comparison is done using the same scenario. While I like Mat Watson's reviews I find he can like something in one video and dislike it in the next so I'm more inclined to make my own opinions based on what I see rather than hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That the i4 is noisier on the motorway is shocking. The Tesla Model 3 is not a very quiet car. In fact that is one of the giveaways that it's a budget car really with a very high margin. Perhaps BMW saved money by making the i4 cheaply too? I suppose the 3-series was always the cash cow of the entire range traditionally.

A different review that seems to be little kinder than some of Matts statements, particularly about the noise. Reviewers are hardly getting cars with different tyres affecting noise levels?

interesting that those guys mention the 40 as been slightly more nimble than the 50…due to been 165kg lighter probably,

Yeah I’m not sure though, other reviewers talk about how quiet it is, In fact, in Mat’s first review of the i4 in Germany on the autobahn at high speed he commented on how quiet it is so I dunno. In the same video he said he likes the back of the car. He’s a bit inconsistent 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe he’s getting back handers from Elon! Think I seen something recently where he was planning to have some Tesla as his next car! 😂

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYtCREIFPcw/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Advertisement

Correct, he’s just done a review of the Model S Plaid and said he’d one on order.

They run a few cars on the carwow fleet including a BMW M3. I wouldn’t think the model s on order will be anything other than another fleet car.

both cars have different strengths it would appear.

I will be more interested in Richard Symons full review when it comes out.

he knows his stuff and is very objective.

For anyone with an i4 on order what are you being told by your dealership on build dates & delivery dates? My car is down for March build but they don’t seem to be able to confirm when they will actually have the car.

Indeed. I rarely even watch carwow with its millions upon millions of subscribers, but I'm rather keen to see Richard Symons' reviews, who up until fairly recently only had a couple thousand...

so here it is. A sensible review /test. The range of the i4 does not seem bad here. I cannot however agree (having owned both back to back) with him on the tesla versus the taycan in the backroad handling section, the teslas steering and suspension make it more difficult to drive quickly on a back road, sure the steering is a quick ratio, but its fidgity on a back road and hard to place. Suspension also lets the tyres off the road more. This is no slight on tesla, BTW its a fine fine car, its just the reality of its design.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Efficiency and range

M3P 196Wh/km 351km

Taycan 239Wh/km ( + 22%) 330km ( -6%)

i4 M50 249Wh/km ( + 27%) 318km (- 10.3%)

Efficiency, range, charging speed. All not terribly important to most people buying above cars in Ireland. I wish the reviewers would concentrate more on driving dynamics and the like. These are medium size premium very fast sports sedans / hatchbacks after all.

Good to see though that Symons did seem to really like the i4 M50. And surely that delay in throttle response can be fixed with an OTA software update

Question for the Taycan owners: have you any control over the gear the car is in at all (1st / 2nd)?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Good honest video there from r symonds, all very even it seems, tesla just charges that bit quicker than the taycan because of the smaller battery I think the range on the tesla was 391km (with out pre conditioning) rather than 351km, but good to see the i4 getting better range than some other reviews and it's gonna be better in summer for sure

• Advertisement

Good point unkle in first paragraph, Certainly I am more interested in the driving character, and would suspect most of the prospective buyer would be also.

Re Taycan gear, no control. In range and normal mode you are always in the efficient second gear unless you are really deep into the throttle. In sport/ sport + you are in first unless you are over 100kph or there about depends on what the car decides. There is a very noticable difference between the geers.

Need more reviews on the i4, Remove before racing, the smoking tyre, throttle house, carfection and the likes, finding it hard get a bead on it with these conflicting reviews.

Advertisement