Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I read on a BMW forum that the 40 model is being replaced in November by two new models, a 35 rear wheel drive with 300hp and a 40 x drive model with 400hp.

I wonder if this is to align directly against the Tesla model 3 with standard, long range and performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭v10

That's interesting. My dealer still saying (as of yesterday) that BMW Ireland have no build dates yet and are not even sure when they're expecting demos in Ireland. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That is very interesting. Just checked on BMW.ie and the base 40 model is €63.6k on the road. What would people here guess the base price of the 35 model would be? Will it still be too high to qualify for incentives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

In terms of drivetrain performance the current 40 will be very similar to the new 35. 40 horses less but also RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I have a screenshot of the order from the dealership. Confirmed production week 09. Shipping from the factory week 10. Ask the dealership you’re with, they should show you it. The production week on the orders is the week the car will be completed, so production should actually start in another 2 or so weeks (1-2 weeks to complete build). The only thing is though, they (the dealer) haven’t been able to confirm the delivery date on this end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Nice video showing what interior looks like with night driving in a city.

Very positive review of the eDrive 40

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Absolutely gorgeous car and no other EV looks as good as this premium car.

when the charging network improves to an acceptable level, this is the car I will be buying.

Just watched the Fully Charged review, came here to report it but I see @UhOh has beaten me too it 😁

@PaulJoseph22 - why wait for improvements in the charging network? This car has a range of 400-500km, shouldn't be any need for more than very occasional public charging. The network is improving and non-Tesla owners might even be allowed to use the superior Tesla Supercharging network in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Oh man, I shouldn't have watched that review. Might need to sell a few kidneys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Interesting that in his opinion it is “leagues better” than the M3. Fails on interior space but wins every other way.

Interior space is about the same between Model 3 and i4 I would have thought? With the big benefit of course that the i4 is a hatchback (but has no frunk)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Except energy consumption, price, weight, infotainment...

I'd say slightly less in the front of the i4 (with the big centre console), but some may prefer the more enclosed driving position, and a bit less headspace in the back due to the i4 'coupe' shape. I'm 1.88m and fit ok in the back of M3, I sat in an 4 series and was less comfortable. Not a big deciding factor for me since I never sit in the back...

Bjorn is testing the i4 M50 right now, one comment he made is that yes, while i4 is a hatchback, you'd be surprised how much you can fit in the M3 boot. Will wait for the banana box test.

So far, i4 is ahead in sound insulation (it would want to be with 450kg extra weight) and maybe driving feel if you like how bmw's drive. I tend to prefer the more direct and nimble feel of the M3 ... for now. And also the more airy feeling vs the cramped space in the i4.

You won't fit a dog in the Model 3 boot unless you are an asshole 😂

I'll deffo go out and drive one. I would have to wait for the 35 model though, depending on the price. I have no need for the size of the battery in the models currently available and I have no appetite to pay their list prices.

The

There’s no comparison between the i4 and any of those Teslas. The i4 is classy and the Tesla really isn’t.

Price you’d expect to pay more for a higher quality product. BMW will be of better quality than a Tesla.

Definitely better quality, my brother has a 2021 Tesla and he’d agree with the above with no hesitation after all the issues he has had.

Most older people agree with you. Most young people will say it's the other way around 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It would want to be given the 20K difference between the standard model 3 and an e drive 40 with options to the match the Tesla.

Maybe the rumoured e drive 35 will be more competitive.

I sure hope so, dloob. Wish we had more details now of what to expect from the 35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It would be great if they could get get it under the 60K grant limit with the 35.

Thats probably a bit optimistic though, maybe a bare spec with manually adjustable cloth seats would just get under it.

it would sell great, but given they are supply constrained as it is with the 40 maybe there isn’t the need to rush out a 35 just yet.

Agree with all that. If they could sneak one in below the grant limit, I would be seriously interested in buying it. Would be a massive come down from 5 years of autonomous driving level 2-3 to having none though (presuming BMW is too mean to have their basic system as standard equipment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The i4 is much more expensive, slower, less efficient, less storage space, smaller back seats but suits people looking for a more traditional styled car. I'm sure it's great to drive but would want to be at that price.

There’s not a huge difference price wise between the e40/LR and the M50/M3P so idk you could say it’s much more expensive. More expensive yes, but ‘much more’? As for being slower, I haven’t seen any e40 comparison videos but the M50 beat the M3P in the carwow drag & rolling races, Auto Top NL also clocked the M50 2 seconds faster from 100-200 than the M3P, so I don’t know why you think the Tesla is faster. Limited top speed in the i4 of course. The only reason we’re doing these comparisons between the two is lack of alternative choices with EVs. If it was ICEs it’d be a bit like comparing a 4 series GC to a Toyota Corolla or the equivalent size market leader.

Post edited by UhOh on

First Bjorn Nyland video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭sk8board

Interesting that he uses the phrase “it’s a good winter car” a few times, which probably tells us Irish buyers all we need to know.

saw the FullyCharged and the Electrifying reviews last night. Ginny Buckley finally found a car that matches or beats the M3 it seems 😏.

as a 4 gran coupe driver for 6-7years now, I love it as a practical car for a small family.

for me it’s pretty simple:

I’d buy the i4 40 ahead of the M3 LR (absolutely no question), but not ahead of the M3 LFP, with €16k left in my pocket

exactly, the i4 is premium and as you say the other is in The Toyota Corolla stable, apart from the fact the Corolla would have a better build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I like these guys and their no nonsense reviews.

Just blast it down the autobahn. How it gathers speed is awesome.

Another Bjorn video

• Advertisement

2400kg? 😲

That's several hundred kg more than my Tesla Model S performance which is two classes up in size

That small BMW is the same weight as the current full fat full size Range Rover 😁

Goes to show this car was never designed as a dedicated EV. If they had done that, surely they would have made it from aluminium...

Advertisement