Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

I get the "supercharger network" argument in some countries but not in Ireland, they have about 6? in Ireland I think .. there's plenty of other chargers around and you'll only need one on route to Kerry. Why is installing a charger not an option?

I'm also changing my 840d but considering the i4 M50, not gone on Audi, Taycan is tempting tho. As for the grills, they're not limited to the electric cars, it's the direction BMW is taking it seems, but they are starting to grow on my on some models (iX not so much!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I'm not sure there are more Ionity than Tesla Superchargers. Cashel and Gorey are good locations though

Castlebellingham x2, Birdhill, Ballacolla, Tralee, Cork. So looks like both have 5 locations, but Tesla have more actual chargers (36 vs 22?)

Plus Enfield and Athenry are built waiting for ESB to connect and Sandyford is well into construction, which will bring the total to 52, more than double Ionity.

And finally Ionity chargers are much less reliable, I've never used one where it worked first time and didn't have to switch stalls. Supercharging you're up and running within 10 seconds of parking, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You only need one is correct. Where? There is 2 X 50kw at that particular applegreen and I've never seen them not in use. There's another 50kw in Newcastle West....and it's always busy also. The thing about the supercharger network is reverse in, plug in and that's it (and it's usually at least 100kw that the car takes).

No looking for ESB chargers, no apps, no cards, no queuing, no waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Tesla Superchargers are great, only problem is you are stuck with a tesla (for the moment). Have used Ionity a few times without issues speed is amazing. As Ionity is BMW group I can see it improving all the time.

There are 2 untrafasts (50kw I think, so time for a good cuppa) in Birdhill beside the tesla ones....use them. Or reroute through ionity cashil, 4 stalls and you will pull 200kwh if you cane it down there and condition before you get there..

u

• Advertisement

The two in Birdhill are only 50kw chargers and one is chademo and they'e frequently out of service. They are free though, when working/available.

I've never seen them not in use and I've been there about 20 times over the summer.

Exactly, not a reliable charger unless you're prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,814 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's strange that you have had such issues with ionity. In the past 18 months I have used cashel and Gorey on a number of occasions and never an issue.

Kerry for me in the etron is a stop in cashel on the way and then plug in at destination. As long as you don't need to go anywhere immediately when you get there and can wait on a 3 pin it's perfectly fine. No chance of a 7kw charger at the holiday home ? That would solve any issues

• Advertisement

No chance unfortunately. It's in a small development with no driveway parking. There's a carpark out the back and to be honest the cable out the window is grand.

We never go via cashel. It's an extra 30kms of a drive and the road isn't great from cork to Killarney compared to the Limerick -farranfore way.

You are putting a lot of arbitrary issues in your way. The difference will be easily compensated by the increased charging speed (I would estimate you will save time even in your tesla as you will pull over 150kwh easy on ionity for a large portion of your charging curve and there is an ESB backup at the same site). The national roads after the motorway portion of either route is basically the same (travelled both ways many times in an EV and both are fine). Google maps gives me a 5 minute difference or 4 Km. If you not ready to switch away from the tesla network....dont, but you cannot blame the infrastructure, its just your intransigence. We all make alterations to our plans to use and EV in the first place this is just another one. The ICE drivers would say they just drive there without having to stop at all.

Anywhere you can run a cable out the window you can run a 7kw out the same window if you want. A 240v industrial 3 pin socket is all you need. If you want. You could make the trip without a stop then as the range on the i4 is nearly 500km, and even in very bad weather if you start full you would be fine, and ready to do the return trip 8 hours later.

Just checked the maps and it's 17kms in the difference however having driven both roads before I would still take the Limerick route 100% of the time.

Ionity may have great charging speeds but at the price as a pay as you go (I have never used it or needed to) it doesn't appeal to me.

I can pull easily between 100 - 120 on the supercharger so there's minimal difference in the charging time.

I know everyone can talk about the infrastructure but it's still poor if you need to make any decent journeys at all.

Don't mind the blurb about having nearly 500km range on the BMW. That's nonsense. I'm supposed to have that on my model 3 and in the winter I'm getting nowhere close to that. Summer time I'm getting 400 - 450 but I'd say it's closer to 300 these days.

I'm interested in this 240v industrial socket though to give me 7kw. This would be a real game changer down there. The nearest charger is Dingle and that's always busy. Although with Tesla opening superchargers in Tralee that's also a realistic option now. How easy would it be to get that wired up? Expensive?

Edit Reading on here about the absolute shítshow of ICE drivers parking in the EV charging bays in cashel and then disappearing I'll stick to Birdhill 😂😂

Post edited by mfceiling on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you go to Kerry 15 times per year and charge up 80kWh on each return trip, the difference in cost between Ionity and Tesla SuC is 1200kWh (€0.79 - €0.31) = the guts of €600. Not insignificant I grant you that!

VAG group, BMW and Porsche have a 0.31kw rate with ionity for first 3 years, if this is a important expense. I think there are some other multipass providers that give an ionity discount too....maingau???

I have noticed that all the German EVs come with a charging card that give you the special rates, and is centrally linked. Works with ESB as well and Europe wide, so a neat solution. Some communicate directly with the car. One day it will all be plug and play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

Not all VAG, I got no discounts on Ionity with an ID4 purchased earlier this year. I believe its a 1 year discount with BMW, Correct me if I'm wrong. edit: just checked, yep 1 year discount

VW you pay a montlhy fee with the we charging plan for the ionity discount https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/electric-cars/charging/we-charge.html

Porsche is 3 years free discount and then monthly sub after that.

BMW - one year free then subscription service

Audi - I am not sure subscription service from day one I think. 17 euro a month.

But lets be honest on these cars and the amount of fast charging you actually do the cost is an irrelevance even at the headline 79 cents rate. Its a BMW so its going to depreciate a grand a month anyway.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

You would need to consult with an electrician before installing a socket to take 8kVa. This is equivalent to the current drawn by a domestic ev charger (evse) and those come with things to protect from exceeding the Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) from the ESB network - typically 12kVa. Without these protections then you can forget about running other things like an electric oven or electric shower concurrently (not to mention electric heating) without potentially tripping out the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Possibly been asked already but are there any discounts available on these, say even 5% off specced price of 81k? My Father is thinking of getting one.

If not, any good finance offers below what their online finance calculator shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You won't get a cent off, there are waiting lists for this car (and most other EVs). Maybe you can negotiate a good trade in price for your father's old car.

• Advertisement

Unlikely, it’s a 12 year old Toyota avensis with nearly 400,000km on the clock! 😂

Anyone know which dealers might have availability or the lowest waiting lists?

when my mum was ordering a Q4 etron and i asked the guy i have bought a few new cars from in Audi south dublin if he could see if he could better the deal (she was dealing with a dealer in the south east) he said no way, he could sell as many of them as he could get his hands on, rural dealers had less demand for EVs so thats the route id go.

Playing around with the online configuration tool there and doesn’t seem to be any option to include heads up display? Nearly sure it was an option when I looked few months back?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Head up display is included with Live Cockpit Professional. That’s standard on the M50, not sure about the 40

Ah right, Live Cockpit Professional is included in Tech Pack so assume it’s in that.

They could really do with explaining and giving more details of features of each item in each pack. Configurator great on mobile browser apart from that.

Last question, I think! 😂

Anybody know why the 40 Sport has a range of 559 − 589 km vs the 40 M Sport with a range of 543 − 567 km.

Only difference listed that could affect it is possibly the shadow-line trim?

Never mind, I see the M Sport Pro packs gets removed and not available for the 40 Sport…that’s the difference I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I ordered in August - i40 M Sport. Delivery is currently mid-June but dealer is expecting it sooner, if not I’ll only register it July 1st.

Looking forward to it based on the reviews. I went with the Portimao blue

• Advertisement

Had mind set on an 3 year old E400d and was willing to wait for one this year to come up or even go to UK.

Herself convinced me to reconsider the I4 so went for a chat with dealer at weekend about one. Highly unlikely a used E400d will pop up here in our preferred spec and been honest it’s far more practical medium to long term to go with the I4 as much as I wanted my 6 cylinder before we are taxed into oblivion on them!

Disappointing that nothing to view in showroom and sit into, assured should be one within 4 weeks or so to view/test drive.

Done up a spec and costing with us and there was a €1200 optional service plan attached to quote that covered servicing for 4 years. Queried this and was giving excuse that he thinks there are fluids and stuff to change that are quite expensive.

Maybe I’m wrong but my small googling says otherwise, In fact very little to change apart from brake fluid (obviously pads, tyres too but not in plans).

A quick google showed Frank Keane Blackrock BMW offering Inclusive service for €460 over 4 years and found this link from BMW Ireland showing IX for €350!

Trying to add on a nice large commission earner for himself?

Also trying to push leather and paint protection products which I don’t need as can apply them myself as I do with current car.

On a side note, walked into a Dublin main Mercedes dealer just to view the E Class coupe and also discuss the C300e with 100km range and would possible be interested in that if we liked it…didn’t have one to view either!

We were shocked at how clueless the sales guy was about his products, I knew more about the configurator than him and he kept having to say I’ll have to ask Mercedes’ about that. Was constantly saying there was an E Class hybrid coming and I had to constantly remind him it was the E coupe or else C300e saloon we wanted and could he confirm for sure..eventually said oh yeah it’s an E class saloon hybrid! Would have been interested in a new E class coupe hybrid. He knew nothing about the C300e either! He was working there years apparently. BMW lads in fairness were far more knowledgable about their products.

Advertisement