Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Having watched most of the videos now it seems that the i4 M50 comparing it to the model 3 performance which lets face it is a direct competitor for most buyers

its around €7000/€8000 more expensive for base model (71 k Versus 78K )

its a good bit heavier probably around 500kgs due to being built off ICE platform

more refined BMW interior & overall looks are subjective

a little bit slower to 100km/hr, but quicker to 200 km/hr & top limited to 225km, where as Tesla is 262 km/hr top speed

and winter range is also a bit less at

Winter Range of Mmw M50 at 285km / 385km @ 120 / 90 km/hr ( reference Bjorn Nyland Tests)

Winter Range of Tesla M3P at 343km / 438 km @ 120 / 90 Km/hr

Summer range on the i4 M50 should be better, both are bloody good electric cars

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Er thats a bit subjective too, BMW build quality can be hit and miss, we all seem to have forgotten about the 2.0 diesel timing chain fiasco, I've owned quiet a few Bmw's over the years, one went on fire, one burned copious amounts of oil and my most reliable bmw to date is a 1993 e30

Just for myself, the garage confirmed this week that my order has progressed to scheduled for production so all going well the car should be built by the end of the month. Delivery sometime in March I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭sk8board

You know you’re doing something right when the Tesla folks are jumping all over every thread with a competitor shouting everyone down.

Tesla’s build quality isn’t an issue for me, the biggest turnoff is the association that comes with being ‘a tesla driver’.

And I know I’m far from the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You know you're doing something right when some Tesla owners express an interest in buying this BMW next.

Glass half full, eh? ;-)

Tesla Model 3 Performance away from the lights far, far quicker than i4 M50 in this vid from Richard Symons. And that was with a significantly lower state of charge of the Tesla (so it was slower than it could have been), they should both have been fully charged for a better comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Front wheel biased, torque steer? Yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭v10

What a stupid test, if the results from tests like this are deciding factors in choosing a car for anyone then they need their head examined.

Quick acceleration is one of the key aspects of what makes a car a performance car. Of course it is an important consideration if you are choosing a performance car. You being a bit defensive there? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's interesting. Thomas on Autogefuhl also mentioned on his first drive of the M50 a few months ago that the steering felt bad and kinda out of control when accelerating hard.

It seems to be putting way too much power to the front, maybe they can fix with software updates.

I wonder how the edrive 40 does.

I would like to point out that car had P Zeros in wet conditions. Not a good mix. I believe it’s a bit of a tyre lottery as to what you get from the factory on the i4, I’ll be be switching Pilot Sports regardless (I don’t think they’re one of the possibilities from factory). That said the i4 does seem a bit twitchy off the line. I also agree with v10, probably one the most pointless car test videos I’ve seen.

Post edited by UhOh on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

I was just waiting for him to smash into the Taycan parked at the side of the shed!! That would have got him a lot more hits on YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

M3P defo the traffic light king, but sorry to say it dies after 100kph....the taycan and i4 will be getting into their stride there. So pay your money and pick your poison. Agree on the tyre comments thats a big factor and also the gearing. I swappeed from a M3P to a Taycan 4S and the tesla defo has the jump off the line. The taycan feeds in the power more slowly but then shoves a big lump at you at about 60kph (gear change). I assume the BMW will be similar tuned for Autobahn and motorway overtaking.

As for launching cars down a greasy laneway....brave.

Brave indeed. Quite silly to do. Can't do any harm to any persons, but some serious material damage is easily done. I couldn't help noticing the concentration / some fear on Richard's face on some of the runs 😂

Fair play to Bjorn, he’s some man to churn out the videos

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Absolutely stunning car, blows all the others into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Advertisement

Looks good in the white, I’ve not seen that colour in any other videos.

Hoping to get word that my car has finally gone into production this week. It’s been a bloody long wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

M3 vs the i4 M50!! Who's going to win?

Surprised it was very close. I guess BMW have their M sport petrol cars to perfection now after what is it, the guts of 40 years?

They obviously still need to learn a lot about how to build electric cars. Several reviews and tests showed the i4 M50 is far slower to respond to throttle than it should be. Or do they? Perhaps BMW is just not as brutally honest these days as other companies like Volkswagen. The profit on an M4 is far higher than on an i4 M50. If they make the incumbent super saloon look like a turd, nobody will buy it anymore. Or be honest like VW and indeed, nobody buys any 911 anymore, only Taycans...

^^^ is the profit on a M4 that much higher though? I know they’re €140k here but most of that is tax. M4 in the US starts at $73k. i4 M50 starts at $71k. The M50 appears to be sold out in most markets until mid 2023, it seems BMW have grossly underestimated how many they would sell (chip shortage obviously plays a factor aswell).

Decent result in this video though, when you consider the i4 is more a M440i or M340i equivalent. I’m surprised the i4 won the brake test, and by some distance.

My car is production at the moment, so only another few weeks to wait before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

im due to replace our G20 330e MSport Plus next year ... I think I'll need to have a chat to my dealer in the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Having had a M4 one thing that doesnt get across is that because the way the power is delivered in the m4 you have to be ready to go WOT....is it dry?, it the road straight?, will I fishtail into another car?, am I in the right gear and right mode?....With an EV you just press and go. What I am saying is that an EV feel faster in everyday driving....even a "slow" ev feels very fast. I am sure the m4 x drive is faster, but the 99% of the time the EV will be faster.

Post edited by Fitz II on

If I do buy the i4 it won't be for the 0-60 time - I don't make a habit of racing from traffic lights.

I love my 330e, I love how it drives and how it feels and looks inside. It is a pleasure to drive, nippy and just the right balance between sportiness and refinement. I did consider a Tesla and it just wasn't for me; didn't like the cabin and it just didn't appeal to me. The i4 on paper will tick all the boxes for me - but I'll wait till I get a decent test drive before deciding !

I’m in exactly the same boat. Love my 330e for all the reasons you say.

I had thought the i4 would be a natural successor but I’m not going to commit without driving. I’ve made the mistake in the past of ordering cars without hands on experience and they were expensive lessons.

I am surprised we have no demos in Ireland when all the uk dealers seem to have them.

Waiting lists mean ordering a year out which seems crazy for what is hardly an exotic car.

I'm due to change mid next year and I'd like to get ahead of time to make sure I order in plenty of time.

Looking at asking prices the 330e seems to have held value really week - for an MSport Plus anything from €42k - €49k ... considering I paid €49k for mine it seems like a nice time to upgrade a little.

My wife is still somewhat sceptical about going fully electric for both cars - she has a massive fear of public charging. She managed to get home in the leaf the other day with 0% range left on it - and she drove past two fast chargers.

I love the Aventurine Red or the Sanremo Green but she is dead set against both of them - she loves the Portmeo Blue on the 330e so wants that again !

• Advertisement

Very hard to get a competitive trade in price on a car coming in 12 months as the dealer will have you over a barrel. The asking prices for 330e may be high but dealers like big margins.

On a car like the i4 where they can easily sell their allocation, I wouldn’t expect any generosity either.

Advertisement