Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Get about 45000km out of my Bridgestone Turanzaas on the A6.

Wondering if the weight of the I4 will result in higher wear regardless of the brand!

We both tend to take it easy on roundabouts, sharp bends and take offs to keep the tyres but I do occasionally put it into s mode and have a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭v10

Lovely spec, but I’m biased! I’ve a M50 ordered in exactly the same spec, same extras and same colour. I also have added sunroof, leather dash and M Seats on mine. The M50 isn’t that much extra by the time you spec them. Mines coming in at €91k, with €4.5k more extras, so only €5.5k extra for the M50. Not bad for all wheel drive and 200 extra horses. Fair enough if range is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Guessing you could make the point that for 10 extra grand over the m50 with options you could get a base Taycan.

Sure but if you want the options on the M50 you’d probably want them on the Taycan too, I know I would. The base Taycan is lower spec than the M50, I did look into it and the Taycan specced similar to how I specced my M50 order is €35k more than the M50.

True but both will be old tech sooner than we like as we move to solid state batteries. So really depends on whether you are on PCP or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

What are the pros of solid state batteries?

Maybe so but people were saying that about the Tesla Model S 10 years and not a whole lot has changed, I reckon they’ll both be good for a long time, time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Yes, I looked at the RWD Taycan aswell, even being sensible with options it gets too expensive very quickly. An almost fully loaded M50 makes more sense for my pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭sk8board

Yes and no - owners of a new model S from 2014 onwards took a bath on depreciation just like any other €100-130k car, mostly due to EV evolution.

with the natural limits on mining of Lithium and cobalt, the only way for the EV market to evolve is to find ways of using less of those raw materials and solid state batteries is a huge step.

cars with batteries that are ‘best if charged to 90% and used to 10%, to preserve the battery life’ (or whatever the technical name is for the tech) will be far less desirable very soon.

a simple example: the new battery tech in the base M3 allows constant 100-0% charging I believe, and has made the very expensive LR version suddenly look far less desirable.

Higher density, quicker charging and less weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yeah, Taycan RRP is total fiction you need to put at least 15k of extras on and at that stage the second hand 4s versions start to look appealing. The i4 defo fits in between the Model 3 and the taycan price wise, but I would try to be strict on a i4 with the options...better have the worst house on the best street than the best house on the worst street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

group test of sorts between BMW i4 m50, m3 and Tesla model 3 performance in this month's Car magazine.

Interestingly there is only 10k sterling in price difference between the BMW's. Shows either, what a bargain the m50 is here or how much we are ripped off for m3..

They're praising the i4 but not overly impressed with it.

less than $7000 between a M50 & M3 in the US, not hard to see who’s being ripped off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

"An electric 5 Series" 280km range at 2°

https://youtu.be/RzDue8hWAjs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

THats really crap range in fairly standard winter weather.

Awful. Jeez. And it’s Irish winter conditions really, and that’s absolutely draining it - normal every day usable range will be lower still, albeit this was worst case scenario, frosty trips on motorways and a few hard pulls

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Saw that earlier too. Range wouldn't bother me, but the very slow reaction to the throttle would. It's an M car FFS! Is BMW trying to copy the retardation that is ICE vehicles? 🤣

For anyone who hasn't followed him - Richard Symons is a Tesla fan. But also a BMW fan, having owned several M cars. There's very few as straight talking and fair as himself with as much EV experience. Interested to see what a more in depth review from him will bring

Anybody know if the i4 battery can be charged to one hundred per cent regularly or is it recommended to charge to ninety per cent ?

All EV batteries can be charged to 100% regularly without any issue. Unless you do it every day or leave your battery at 100% for a longer periods, it will NOT have any material impact on the range or the value of the car over time

Please let's not get into this time and time again and don't believe the mantra coming from people who don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Need to start looking into a home charger. Will need to be one at edge of driveway based on where we generally park the cars and don’t want to ruin nice stonework on house with a wall box. I might actually look at building a feature pillar for it from leftover stone we have.

Any suggestions for good charger box that has good app features?

We have a 16kVA connection in rural area.

• Advertisement

Cold weather & you just know he’s been pissing about with the acceleration all day :)

Post edited by UhOh on

I was under the impression that Tesla and others recommended only charging to 90% on a daily basis to preserve battery life and only occasionally to 100%.

The new battery in the standard model 3 now is recommended to be charged to 100% every time apparently.

is this not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Cold weather range is disappointing on the m50 that's a good bit less than any of the teslas which less face it are its main competitors, the 40 is probably better be interesting to see how his other videos go next to the M3p

Having any lithium ion chemistry battery sitting at 100% all the time is not good. But the overwhelming majority of people do not even have to think about this. In a modern EV you just charge up (to 100%) once or twice a week (or a bit more) and within hours you start discharging the battery again. This is all fine. Charging to 80% is technically better, but doing that over the 15-20 year life of the car will result in a battery with a state of health of many a couple of percentage points better. As I said irrelevant and immaterial. It is a nonsense this advise is given and repeated anywhere

The reason Tesla now say it's fine to charge up their made in China Model 3 cars to 100% is because the chemistry is not lithium ion but lithium iron phosphate. A far superior chemistry in almost every way and the only one used in EVs today that can not go on fire

All correct - but also correct to say that current manufacturers selling you the car recommend a usable charge range “to preserve the life of your battery”. People aren’t propagating a lie, they’re simply repeating what they were told.

someone buying a 2021/22 m3 in 3 years time in the 2nd hand market will be aware that there’s 2 different batteries. The seller will be quick to point out if they’ve got an LFP one too.

(Tesla will probably put that LFP battery in the LR soon as well)

like the 911 engine bearings issue or the bmw diesel timing chain issue, Battery evolution will matter to EV residuals - and it’s evolving fast.

It doesn't preserve the life of the be battery. Not materially. Not sure why you compare with Porsche IMS bearing issue on the M96 engine 😂

An obscure example(!), but the point is that if you’re buying one of those cars with that engine, it’s something you know to check for - it’s one of the most common questions on Motors forum “hi people, I’m buying X, what do I need to look out for”

we’ll know to check in future if an M3 is ‘china-built’ and has the LFP battery, or the next iteration of their battery, which doesn’t happen on ice cars as their evolution is done and dusted - battery evolution will matter, which is why a lot of buyers won’t jump in until the rate of improvement reduces

Really not sure what your point is. All cars ever sold have had their known weaknesses. If you buy second hand without warranty you need to check these out if you are smart.

BTW LiFePo4 is not a next iteration of the Tesla battery, it is an old chemistry that a lot of people thought inferior because the energy density isn't as high. To some it's a step back. It's cheap to make, that's why it's in the Chinese cars. And before anyone gets me wrong, I'm a big fan of LiFePo4. Not just in cars, my home built powerwall is made of that chemistry and so is my general purpose 12V battery in my shed that I run stuff off like drills, lights, inverters, pumps, PCs, etc. About to convert my bike to LiFePo4 too (from the current lithium ion 18650 cells as are in 99.9% of all ebikes and which I find too dangerous to keep inside the house)

early adopters of EVs are going to carry the can while these large iterations and evolutions take place to the same car they just bought. If I was stuck between the SR+ and LR in mid/late 2021 and went for the LR for €16k more, I’d be feeling a bit miffed right about now. That’s just the price of being an early adopter - And I think it’s got a few years to go yet until range and battery tech plateau's. Meanwhile all those changes will be priced into the 2nd hand market as some models of an identical car be less desirable. That’s when we’ll see the tipping point in mass market adoption.

• Advertisement

Best 0-60 time I’ve seen so far, this one by dragtimes at CES last week

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYcx2s9J5va/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Advertisement