Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s bang on for me. Fury looked to have power against a very static and therefore hittable Wilder. Did he trouble Wallin once? Wlad? He’s a big, strong HW and of course he can KO any man but he’s not a banger. My thinking was that of the top 3 Joshua was the most difficult opponent for Usyk - but only if he went for him and he didn’t, he negated all of his own attributes and fought Usyk’s fight only one winner there. It would be no surprise to me to see him win the rematch, write off a guy like that at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fury isn't going to stop you with one shot but he will stop you with an accumulation , Fury hits harder than people give him credit,

You mention Wlad , he absolute shat the bed & didn't let his hands go because he realised Fury could & would get to him ,

Fury said himself for 10 years everyone went out to KO Wlad with one big shot & lost, so Fury would be an idiot to do the same,

Wallin fight is hard to judge Fury got that really bad cut in the 3rd & didn't want to get involved & possibly stopped,

Its hard to judge Fury because tits only been Wilder of high standard since his move to the Kronk style,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury, at 270 lbs obviously can punch a bit, we get this.

But he's not a typical banger

And, Usyk is a clever and resourceful and tough man, with a good chin, solid cardio, and decent defense when needed...

This leads me to believe that Fury probably doesn't get the job done with one shot, and nor with accumulation....

Usyk has the traits needed here to not get stopped, more than Fury has the traits to stop him

Time shall tell but my money is on a Fury stoppage around 9 to 11

I can't get the fact that Dell boy hit Usyk so often out of my head

Fury WILL get to him & he will make him pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

If you picked Joshua to beat Usyk based on the Chisora-Usyk fight then surely you pick Fury to beat Usyk without much hesitation. Fury can actually employ some of those Chisora tactics unlike Joshua.

Fury got the versatility that Joshua massively lacks to go in as favourite v Usyk.

• Advertisement

Chisora & AJ where both missing what the other one has to go beat Usyk ,

AJ didn't have the heart & durability to put himself in position's to land often enough ,

Chisora lacked power & technical details to make his high pressure work ,

Fury in my eyes has everything to get the job done ,

No, styles make fights....Chisora fights nothing like AJ, AJ fights nothing like Fury, Fury fights nothing like Chisora and so on.....

Each fight can be assessed based off the two men fighting, and yes, previous fights can be considered, but they don't always follow a pattern.....

Del Boy's rugged an rough style bothered Usyk. Del Boy would not bother AJ or Fury.....Based of styles and strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

by that logic Furys roughhousing would really bother Usyk.

It's really not that simple though as Fury is versatile and doesn't have one style like Chisora/Joshua.

Joshua won't in a million years be able to recreate how Chisora fought Usyk. Fury can and will also do a far better job of it. If Fury was willing to take shots off Wilder in order to back him up I'm pretty sure he'll be willing to take shots off Usyk. You can't train that sort of mentality into Joshua (nor does he have the skillset to pull it off anyway).

Thus it makes zero sense to me if those on here that picked Joshua to knock Usyk out on the night of the Chisora-Usyk fight aren't picking Fury to beat Usyk.

Yes, Fury should get up close and use his physical advantages

But Fury still fights nothing like Chisora.....that is the point.

Fury can adapt. I know this......Chisora's kind of charging forward head down clueless and bull strong approach caused issues

Fury won't do this, but he can still close distance and rough Usyk up if he thinks it will help

But the very resoureful Usyk could also make this Fury tactic a difficut one to employ

Key point: Fury fights nothing like Chisora. So using the Chisora fighter in assessing Fury-Usyk I do not think is wise

• Advertisement

Has there been any concrete agreement on AJ-Usyk II yet? Date/venue etc?

No nothing ,

Personally i think AJ is trying to side step this but can't because Fury is tied up ,All AJ recent interviews have been nothing short of bizzare,

The latest from the WBC that Fury v Whyte is a 80/20 split might give AJ the chance to skip this and late Fury fight Usyk

The WBC can't by law put Whyte in a fight until the arbitration is over which is going to be earliest looked at in March ,

Fury wants out in March time so AJ might get his wish ,

You're overthinking this.

Fury can come forward and use his physical advantages which is what Chisora did to cause Usyk some issues. He can do what Chisora did but do it better. He's got much greater ring IQ than Chisora, as well as a better tank, bigger physical advantages and he couldn't be further from basic in terms of his movement which makes him much more difficult to read.

I think Usyk is quite possibly P4P the best fighter on the planet but I just think Fury is going to be all wrong for him.

I get what you’re saying and that’s why I make Fury a decent favourite but I’ve just said that it won’t be a straightforward night for him at all. I don’t expect him to KO Usyk but a late stoppage wouldn’t shock me either. I thought after the Chisora fight that Joshua would be far too big and strong for Usyk but he wasn’t and Usyk dealt with him very well. That’s why I’ve reassessed on Usyk and think he will test Fury.

Who said Fury cannot get close and use his physical advantages?

I actually said that he can. I am not over-thinking this.

I have simply gone from being firm on a Fury win to being not so firm. I think this could be a close call. Usyk can win....

For me Fury's best plan to win would be to crowd Usyk and use the weight and size and strength in close....

Usyk's best is to be a moving target and in and out and set a very busy, but unpredictable pace. Have Fury reaching and chasing and fallIng in..

Usyk is one clever man...

Intriguing fight

Completely agree I think it's a really good competitive fight between two excellent fighters. I just think looking at it logically you'd have to side with Fury if making a pick.

Usyk was able to negate Joshua's advantages in size mainly due to Joshua's completely conventional and basic style being so easy to read. It's a completely different story against Fury who has the massive size advantage but also the ring IQ and ability to mix up attacks that Joshua lacked.

Aj stepping aside or 15million is word on the street ,

iv been saying for a while he was taking way to long to confirm his new coach or split form Rob, it'll 100% be used as his excuse for not taking the rematch in April ,

But does this stepaside mean we get Fury-Usyk, because if it does, thank you, AJ!!!

Lovely. I'd rather Usyk-Fury than Usyk-AJ II

All we need now is that useless sh1te, Whyte to throw a spanner in the works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The gulf in class between AJ and Usyk, and between Whyte and Fury, means that Usyk-Fury is the best option in my view.

I still think an Usyk-AJ fight could be intriguing, and not at all a surprise on who wins...

AJ surely can't be as lacklustre and timid and cautious next time around....makes for an interesting fight.

I think Fury be clear enough vs. Whyte....

I'd prefer Usyk-Fury even over Fury-AJ at this stage.

Usyk Fury is thee fight of course! Nothing else is close to that at the moment.

I’d say Whyte would give Fury a work out but not much more than that. Joshua could well beat Usyk with better tactics. He must be sore about how that went but he’s very slow to go and do anything about it. Fury may have had an idea about this move when he ‘offered’ to train Joshua for Usyk!

Sounds like this will be all sorted by the end today ,

At least the plan of the next fight ,

Whatever has gone on here its a right mess

Fury's teams saying in the 24th hour AJ & Whyte requested more money ,

AJ saying he wasn't going to step aside,

Hearn saying its Fury fault he wouldn't sign the deal

Usyk team saying Fury wouldn't sign the deal ,

I think the big loser in all this is AJ & Hearn i really think they hoped they could get the step aside cash get a new trainer and have time to build up for the rematch, Now they will have to take the fight in April & if AJ loses he is out of the equation for the foreseeable ,

Its hard to know if Fury didn't pull this one on purpose, One he gets one over on AJ & Hearn & two he doesn't looked in shape ( less so than normal) & could probably do with fighting Whyte before the Usyk show down ,

I'm still not convinced we see AJ v Usyk 2 in the near future,

I think AJ vs Fury was never on the table in the first place.

I also think none of this week was ever on the table either.

AJ was the big loser here, now he has to fight Usyk again.

And I don't think he has much chance of winning. I would like to see him win though, and then fight Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Kinda sick of AJ now. Hope he gets sparked by Usyk and packs it in.

The last week Hearn seemed desperate to get the step aside cash, Even now going on about its Fury fault surely your happy AJ gets to fights for the belts ?

I think Fury & his team could have played this out on purpose, AJ & Hearn obviously took there eyes of Usyk & now they have no way around him , Fury ego will love the fact it seems he had all the power here & upset the other two,

Whyte has been very quite through out the whole thing ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Read today that Fury vs Whyte has been confirmed. Venue and date to be announced.

Advertisement