Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭JayRoc

As someone else pointed out, this is a classic boards thread.

Op, expecting to be told he is right: "Boards, tell me I am right"

Boards: "you are not right"

Op: "who asked you?:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'm making a coffee, Him being woken up is an unfortunate irregular conscequence. That's not deliberate.

I draw your attention to the question in the opening post;

"Question is am I being unreasonable or should I be expected to limit what I do in my own house due to poor soundproofing standards?"

So clearly not an example of what you posted above.

The neighbour has three young children.

So no, earplugs not really an option when they've young kids who might need them during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Keep making your coffee OP and don’t mind the neighbour. He might be like a few on this thread and just have some sort of weird hatred of people who like nice coffee. Heaven forbid you’d make yourself something for breakfast that you actually enjoy. Anyway, I’m off out to put some cones at each end of my road to stop any traffic driving by later, don’t want to have to confront any drivers for waking me at 5am by having the gall to drive past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Oh, is it the children that are being woken up? It sounds from the OP like it's just the father?

I think she means that the parent can't wear plugs in case they would be unable to hear the kids in the event of an emergency.

Sorry, just re-read your post - you think the neighbour might not be able to hear an upset child? Then he shouldn't wear ear plugs I guess. Although in my personal experience, the neighbour's coffee machine is a lot less noisy than a sick child

The people advising you to ignore your neigbhbour are doing you no favours, OP. They don't have to live next door to him.

Because problems like these don't go away if you ignore them - they only escalate and it will become less about the disturbance and more about you being inconsiderate when you keep grinding your beans at 5am and it becomes obvious to the neighbour that you don't give a toss about waking him up.

Just because "its your right to do something in your own home at 5am" doesn't always mean you should, and its never a good idea to sour relations with the neighbours purely to make a point - not when something as simple as grinding your coffee beans the night before, could resolve the problem.

Its up to you how you want this to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭acequion

But it's not just the neighbour's problem. It's very much the Op's problem too as the neighbour is entitled by law not to be constantly subjected to a noise nuisance at such an early hour. So if he decided to pursue a legal route it would then be a big problem for the Op.

Hopefully the Op is responsible enough to know that there are two of them in this.

• Advertisement

I do appreciate that, Plan of action is to approach tomorrow and see is my efforts to deaden the noise are sufficient. If it's genuinely waking him up,It should be. If as I suspect, He's just being a dose for the sake of it, He'll probably still say it's too loud. As I've said earlier, I have heard him up at the same time on more than one occasion, And I've a feeling he heard it one morning so is using it as an excuse to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So the OP gives in to a neighbour complaining about a coffee grinder and microwave **** door closing in the house next door (when the OPs own housemates can’t even hear them) and next it’s “I could hear your TV at 9pm last night, would you mind not watching it so late” or “I can hear you closing your car door every morning at 5:30, would you mind walking to work”. The neighbour has issues, not the OP.

I wonder if everyone would have the same opinions if the issue was that the OP was cooking porridge in the microwave and the "ding" was waking the neighbour?

I don't really drink coffee myself and twats who bang on about it annoy me but I can't help feeling that at least some of those who are against the OP are basically against coffee snobs

The OP has said the coffee grinder is something they only got recently.

If there were problems with TV volume or the car door before the coffee grinder, the neighbour would most likely have already complained about those before now.

He probably wouldn't have said anything about the coffee grinder, if it wasn't happening at 5am.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's alright, the neighbour will hear them and alert them.

But to the OP, if your neighbours can hear your microwave close from their bedroom, you have serious problems with the build quality of your houses. You likely have several direct air paths between the dwellings which are a risk for fire spread.

I actually wouldn't advise approaching him or asking him if you're doing enough, I'd do as you planned then wait to see does he complain again. (Fair play for at least trying).

It's possible he is up sometimes - as any of us who are parents will know, it's not unusual to be up during the night (or sometimes several time a night) when you've young kids. When you've young kids any sleep, ALL sleep, is precious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not know.

Maybe it is just escalating from it being a problem for some time?

Like nobody wants to hear coffee grinder whining at 5am. Nobody.

Then if you are subjected to this for some time it is only normal you start noticing other sounds like perhaps that microwave door.

At this stage he may be overreacting but that can happen if you are in a bad situation for some time.

Feck, what's that noise, sounds like someone feeding an empty cadbury's roses tin through a shredder!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I'm just drinking my cup of tea thinking how lucky I am to live in the countryside and not have to deal with some inconsiderate arsehole who starts up a grinder at 5 in the morning, I boil the kettle the night before I'm on early mornings and put 2 cups of water into a flask so the kettle doesn't wake the wife, but I'm just that kind of guy I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

OP, you went about this the wrong way.

You should have came on here and said your neighbour wakesyou up when he closes his microwave and when making coffee.

You be then told, get a life, cop on to yourself, I'dhate to live next to you etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is. No one is suggesting that the op uses the grinder to annoy his neighbour. But if his daily routine is that he gets up at 5 and wants to use his equipment in his home to have a cup of coffee in the morning, then it is the neighbors problem.

If he wants to go the legal route, leave him do so. It is still the neighbours issue.

The Op has been more than considerate in trying to mitigate the issue, could even show this thread as evidence. He'd be fine in a court of law. It is not his responsibility that his neighbours house has such poor soundproofing/insulation.

Leave the neighbour buy him a quieter grinder for his coffee or a microwave whose door closes softly.

Classic Boards thread. As someone above said, someone posts with a problem expecting to have their take reaffirmed.

Gets told the opposite and gets upset.

Tells everyone they don't care what they think and yet replies to all their comments.

Some posters make some very helpful suggestions like moving house, taking legal action or demolishing the wall.

OP digs in, doubles down and gets increasingly unreasonable, proving that, perhaps, they are in fact the crank in the original situation put forward.

Boards 101.

how lucky I am to live in the countryside......

I boil the kettle the night before....

so the kettle doesn't wake the wife,

Not so lucky in that you don't seem to have decent walls to block the sound, or enough distance/walls/doors between your bedroom and kitchen; so as to not make the boiling of the kettle an issue though, it would seem 😊

Decent soundproofing/materials in the walls between the rooms of one's own abode is important too; that is if a person had a choice in the matter to begin with. Would lessen the chances of disputes between a person's own family or housemates.... It's not only neighbours that are irrational, or have unrealistic expectations regarding what they deem to be too much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Boiling the kettle the night before that seems a bit over the top must have paper thin walls in the gaff .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But its not the sodding "ding", its a mechanical grinder at 5AM!

It doesnt matter if its 17 seconds or 700 seconds, its a loud, obnoxious noise at 5AM, once you are aware you are awake.

OP how would you feel if your neighbour started testing his smoke alarms at midnight every night? Its a household item, only sounds for a couple of seconds....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Oh and while I think of it, can ye all not post between midnight and 5am as I also need to be up at 5 and don't want to be disturbed ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Grinding at 5am is unacceptable on week day nights.

I'd be fairly sure that the microwave door is something the OP does a couple of seconds after grinding the coffee, perhaps to heat some milk?

The neighbour is lying in bed having been just woken, again, by grinder george next door and just waiting for him to "slam" the microwave door.

Its 5AM, other than obnoxious people, its silent, even the birds are still asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

HAd the same kind of shite in my apartment block. The guy downstairs came up numerous times to my housemates. Clinking of something on balcony, doors being closed too loud (heavy fire doors), washing machine on early(it wasn´t), smokes that weren´t ours on his balcony and so on. The last time he came up to complain about the creaking of doorstep on balcony and handed me clips to place under. i told him where to go as politely as possible. i had put up with his kid screaming outside in the communal area for ages. some people are just jerks and think the World revolves around them. if his kid wasn´t doing that i wouldn´t have much to say. but he did and the guy had the balls to say oh my daughter (16 ) is trying to sleep. yeah so is my 13 year old while your kid is outside screaming on the Green. sometimes polite confrontation is the only way. I told him its a fact of living in an apartment. Certain things will make noise, deal with it. creaking on a **** balcony is one of them.

i sympathise with you that would annoy the **** out of me (him commenting), honestly. plus one to finding a further away spot from the kitchen. but i suppose he has some legitimate right to complain. is there anyway you could see how loud it is? like which rooms can you hear it in if you aren in the kitchen. i have a machine in apt and i rarely use b4 7am as i know its too loud.

there is also hand grinders

• Advertisement

"some people are just jerks and think the World revolves around them"

You said it buddy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement