Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

• 21-12-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread currently running about issues with neighbours due to noise.

Live in a 3 bed semi detached, Houses are a mirror of each other i.e kitchens either side of party wall.

Recently was gifted an espresso machine with a grinder, thing isn't overly noisy but neighbor has been giving me grief about the noise it makes when I'm having a cup of coffee before work, also has passed comment that I close the microwave louder than necessary. I have politely apologized but it's getting to a stage where I'm getting close to telling him where to go. Suggested I get a filling station coffee on the road to avoid using the machine. Question is am I being unreasonable or should I be expected to limit what I do in my own house due to poor soundproofing standards?

Edit: Should note I get up at 5am to be out the door for 5.15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could you grind the night before? They are awful noisy things, even in coffee shops.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Does he sleep in the kitchen or something?

OP, honestly, he sounds like one of those. Like the cheek of him to not only complain your coffee grinder is too loud, but then to follow that up by saying you should scrap your brand spanking new espresso machine in favour of brown water from a circle K and if that’s not bad enough he has the balls to complain your microwave door closing is too loud??

you’re absolutely not being unreasonable here. If someone grinding coffee at 5am is too much of a problem for him then kindly invite him to get up at 5:15 after you’ve left for work already.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

I wouldn’t advise that. There’s a reason cafes don’t pre grind the coffee in the morning for expedience it will go dry and begin to lose flavour rapidly.

if you ground your coffee at say 7pm tonight to make a coffee at 5am tomorrow it would be horrific and the OP might as well go back to instant coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd have a bit of sympathy for the neighbour here given the earliness, could you move the machine to another room further away OP?

Failing that buy him a set of earplugs for Christmas

Very little noise is acceptable at 5am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Is it waking the neighbour up? If so it must be pretty loud. Though the microwave door comment makes or seen like this person may be very sensitive. I have to say, I thought my house was bad but I definitely can’t hear the microwave door. Soundproofing must be atrocious. Perhaps the neighbour needs to invest in ear plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

What coffee machine have you? I’ve a SAGE Oracle and if he can hear the grinding of coffee beans he must be sleeping in your dishwasher!!

Depends on the person. I lived with 2 people who (IMO) slammed every single door and press and drawers. They didn't think they were being loud or ignorant but from upstairs and not connected to the kitchen I could tell exactly which cupboard had just been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

5am is early but I mean you're not blasting music or anything excessive. Sure, it's maybe waking the neighbour up but the bin truck wakes me up at that time some mornings!

It sounds over the top that you've been approached about this to be honest and I think most reasonable people would have just put it down as "one of those things"

the frequency of some noises (like coffee grinding) will carry through sh1tty "walls" like was the norm in crappy Irish building construction quite easily.

tbh wouldn't fancy being woken up at 5am if I wasn't getting up at that time.

if it even happened even once or twice a week I wouldn't be impressed in the slightest.

Maybe move the location in the kitchen further away at the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Correct answer = Zero

You shouldn't really need to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can hear my neighbour if they don't hit the bowl when urinating. I've cameras inside that get activated by the neighbours closing doors. There is no way in hell that the OP's coffee grinder at 5am is acceptable,I'd one that nearly needed ear defenders when I was using it, look for a different quiter one and if they still complain drink instant.

The microwave door comment was most likely to show how bad the sound proofing is.

Do you really want to fall out with your neighbours over a coffee in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I prefer French Press (cafetiere) coffee myself. No complaints from neighbours at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

huh?

Are your walls made of paper?

Is he sleeping in his kitchen?

Are you grinding rocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

I think the only best solution here is that one or both of you look into getting proper insulation between the houses. Maybe go halves on it if some of the expense is in the attic for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

5am is freakin' yesterday. Virtually no noise is acceptable.

Put your grinder on a rubber mat, inside a cupboard.

Learn to close the microwave gently like an adult who wants their appliances to last instead of slamming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd be tempted to blind-test it, and see if he can tell the difference between coffee made from a fresh grind and coffee from a 12 hour ago grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There seems to be some tips on keeping coffee fresh when you google it might be worth a look 5 o clock is early enough if your man is not getting up for a couple of hours so I would try and keep the peace on that one .

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

I think its a fair shout from your neighbour tbh. I used to have housemates who would bang every press, slam the microwave, pee directly into the water and not the bowl (most annoying thing ever) etc, and it drove me mad as I'm quite a sensitive sleeper. If I was you I'd try different things like moving the grinder to a different room or even into the press, and let him know you are trying. he will appreciate it! It's probably not worth falling out with your neighbour over this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah grind it the day before and stick it in a proper container air tight container with a co2 valve, it's not going to taste that different and you can prove it to yourself by blind tasting

• Advertisement

I’d consider moving. Your house isn’t built properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Can you hear noises coming from his house or is he super sensitive? The microwave door closing being audible suggests your adjoining wall is made from papier-mâché.

+1 for the idea of going Dutch on the insulation. Are the master bedrooms above the kitchen? And more importantly, is anyone or their partner a screamer? 😅

Anyway, if I were being woken by a pretentious bean crusher at 5am I’d be playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at full volume late enough for you to get the picture, as you presumably go to bed early. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The only acceptable noise at 5am is snoring... try to work with him... the coffee grinder is out at 5am... i am sure you can get some kindof anti-slam for the microwave... I often use a town house where i know the next neighbor gets up at 5am like you... i make as little noise as possible after 10pm and really nothing after midnight... the neighbors the other side said i slam the doors during the day.. comment not complaint. i never hear a sound from either house except maybe a chair pulled across floor the odd time... You have to remember that these people may have lived this way all their lives so we need to understand the way things are done... I live in the countryside so i had to learn to adapt...

On a serious note you may have an addition if you need the hit at 5am... i use leaf tea in the morn.... he was way out of order suggesting you buy piss at a service station...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Thanks for the replies folks, Always heard pre grinding was a no no, but a blind taste test is a good idea.

I'd be wary not to make a whole lot of noise in the mornings, morseo for the sake of my housemates. As for the microwave comment, The guy is quite pedantic as is, He once complained when I was powerwashing that I over ran the brick border that splits that divides the driveway. When i politely explained that it happened when I was blowing the dirt that got thrown onto his side back on to my own, He rolled his eyes and walked back inside.Funny thing is the guy has 3 young kids and I've often been woke by them throwing a wobbler at 3 am, But i don't make a fuss for obvious reasons.

As for falling out with a neighbor over it, I see far greater benefit in the cup of coffee tbh.

None of my housemates have any issue with how i close the microwave.

Yep, Having a nice coffee machine and making use of it makes me "a pretentious bean crusher". Good man.

Seems like **** build quality and a cheeky neighbour. Grind the night before and tell your neighbour to grind off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What the freak are people houses made from???

It's not like the OP is blaring music, it's a kitchen appliance, in your own kitchen, fire away. I'd be more concerned about house mate than this neighbour who sounds like a tool who I probably couldn't help but wind up more 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Could get yourself a hand grinder? A lot of purists prefer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How does a woman "hit the bowl" when urinating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is it not more beneficial for either gender to hit the water instead of the bowl?

Less p!ss stains to scrub off?

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement