Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers from post 185*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Doesn’t answer the how it happened though. The internal logic is they were drawn in because they know Peter Parker was Spider-Man no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

In venom 2 I believe...

The symbiote tells Eddie they have access to all the knowledge of all the symbiotes across the universe and the multiverse and that his brain couldn't handle it. He gives Eddie a taste of this at the same time the room transforms around them indicating they have been pulled to the MCU Verse. Presumably they're are many symbiotes that know about Peter Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Overall like and enjoyed it, was my favorite of the Tom Holland films.

However, I would say that it shows the quality of the original Raimi films - effectively structuring the plot of this whole film around the characters from that franchise.

I'm not a fan of Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange and I thought the logic of that whole plot point didn't work - Peter Parker is young and would make mistakes but surely Strange should have a bit more cop on regarding a college application? Loved seeing the originals as well as Charlie Cox. I liked the ending - it gives the character a fresh start - I'd rather have a Spider-man that people don't know the identity of rather than someone everyone knows. I was never a big fan of the big Avengers/Iron Man connection that this Spider-man has so glad to see that removed for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Strange assumed (as most people do about things) that such things are common knowledge and thought Parker (especially someone of his intelligence) had come to him after exhausting all other options - including pleading his and his friends’ case to the admission office of MIT.

He made a big deal of that after containing the spell. It was the reason Strange was so pissed at Parker.

It is a fairly common thing in life - that because you know something and are used to to it then you will think everyone knows it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: The film’s been out a few days now so no need for spoiler tags from here on out.

Proceed with caution if you haven’t seen the film yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I really enjoyed it and admired its storytelling, character work and just the sheer logistics of being able to pull this off something this ambitious. It reminded me of my initial reaction to Avengers Assemble in its ability to do something on a huge storytelling scale previously never done before and not end up being a complete mess. The movie also has a lot of heart which it important for a movie of this genre.

My main criticism is the action direction which I felt was a bit pedestrian and lacking the flair and style of someone like Sam Raimi, for example.

I still love the movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really think after watching this The Amazing Spider-Man deserves to be able to complete his trilogy now.

I was listening to the Empire podcast and they are speculating that Sony might want to make a third Garfield Spiderman movie given how well received his appearance was in this movie. I hope so to be honest. He was a great Spiderman who was unfortunately let down by the scripts. He deserves a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Regardless of whether it's with Holland or Garfield, I'd really like to see a good Felicia Hardy/Black Cat story. I imagine the reason Sony/Marvel are reluctant to use her is audience reaction to what may be perceived to be a Cat Woman rip-off. Never the less I thought she had a good story in the Spider-man videogame DLC and would love to get a proper live action Black Cat.

Now back to this movie, if there's one small complaint I have, and I can understand why as there was a lot to cram in, is that J Jonah was underused in this. Also it seems from audience reactions the "I'm a bit of a scientist myself" line from Osborn was a big funny easter egg. I don't get it. Could somebody explain please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Osborn line is a line he says when he meets Peter early in Spider-Man 1.

• Advertisement

The action scenes were fantastic - no idea what you mean by “pedestrian” - light years ahead of the Raimi trilogy (which was great at the time - not putting it down)

I was specifically thinking of the camera work during the action scenes in Spider-Man 2 compared to this film, especially the excellent train fight in Raimi's movie. I'm not saying the action scenes in No Way Home were bad necessarily, but I felt they were lacking some more visual flair and innovation rather than the standard swinging, catching and explosions. The fight with Strange is an exception but even that style was influenced by Scott Derrickson's direction from his movie. The character work in the final battle was the main positive of that sequence rather than the action direction. This is just what I felt watching it. Of course other people will think differently.

The action scenes are the same as any other Marvel film - blandly lit, overbusy, weightless. They could’ve been directed by anyone - in fact, they probably were largely made by a second unit or effects team as is Marvel norm.

In contrast, this scene from the Raimi films remains probably the single greatest action scene in any major superhero film: somehow bloodless but just incredibly brutal. The camera choices are chosen to emphasise the action, to underline the violence. Like the camera on the ground, lingering as a character literally scrapes the floor in desperation to hold on? The sudden, frantic crash zooms? Brilliant and nasty.

There’s nothing of the sort in No Way Home - just more anonymous CG melees. The apartment fight is fine, but again not a patch on the best scenes from the Raimi films. The finale is just an indistinct mess of flailing bodies.

I actually think this is one of the better MCU films just for novelty alone, just to stress. But none of these films so far have action scenes that feel as impactful as what Raimi managed two decades ago. The bland action is more noteworthy than ever here as we’ve seen several of these exact characters in excellent, vibrant action scenes before :)

I thought you VFX and stunt work. I cannot remember the Raimi movies well enough to either agree or disagree with camera work.

I do have a criticism of the big action showdown myself and it is the same one I have for most superhero movies including Raimi’s trilogy, DC and other MCUs - and that is that it is set at nighttime.

enough with that already - it only works and looks good in a Batman movie. I just didn’t mention it before because at least this time it was wasn’t follow the action and who was who - except for Peter 2 and 3 but that was really because I couldn’t have told the suits sort even if it had been a daytime fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it last night and overall its decent enough. Its being compared to Into the spiderverse and I understand why but its not nearly as good as that film. It has its moments though and it's well worth a trip to the cinema. Best thing about it though are the three spiderman, Andrew Grafield In particular. I never really gave his time as spiderman much of any attention, he kind of slipped by really without notice, but here he's really good. Anytime he wasn't on screen you wished he was.

All in all its a decent movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I was happy to see the two other spidermen back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They could save themselves a lot of bother and just make Garfield the Spider-Man of their Sony verse and let Feige do his thing with MCU Spidey.

That way Sony have a Spider-Man who will suit the "edgyness" of their approach with the solo villain films and also a suitable Peter Parker who can serve as a mentor when they make that decision to introduce Morales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

100% agree. If Garfield wanted to do it then Sony should sign him up to do at least 1 more Spiderman movie and possibly use that as an introduction to Miles Morales. Then you do a trilogy of Miles movies with all the villains.

They should give Tom Holland to Disney but only allow him to do non-Spiderman solo movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

The one thing that put me off liking this movie was the same thing in avengers 2.

In age of Ultron, the avengers were responsible for creating Ultron. And was they're own mess that had to be cleaned up.

Strange and Spiderman created the multiverse bad guy mess that had to be cleaned up. It was a let down in the story for me.

• Advertisement

Where is the “bother”?

Sony and Disney are getting along very in regards SpiderMan - Sony even made a deal for their movies and TV shows on Disney+.

I believe Amy Pascal said that she wants Holland to be Peter Parker in both the MCU and the Sony SpiderVerse.

I would love to see both Garfield and MaGuire do more Spidey. It is pity that Venom wasn’t set in world with SpiderMan - BTW, if Venom had never joined with a SpiderMan then how come he still looks like he has.

They didn’t create the multiverse.

it already exists - Strange even says early on (before the spell I think and before Wong leaves) that the multiverse is some about which “we know frighteningly little” and Peter gets excited to learn that despite Mysterio have lied about his background that the multiverse is real.

I wish they had not killed May.

it was a superb scene and heartbreaking but I was sure Strange would pull something to bring her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$600m worldwide opening weekend becoming the 3rd biggest opening weekend ever.

Safe to say it's a hit and will probably reach the billion mark before it finishes it's run unless there is a total lockdown worldwide.

I generally don’t pay attention to box office as it isn’t my money ;) but the billion dollar earners do catch the attention.

what are the two movies that had higher opening weekends ?

also is the movie getting into China?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

What I meant was they created the mess (the problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

Saw it this evening and loved it, especially once the 2 other Spideys arrived. Pure fan service but I couldn’t stop smiling seeing them all together! They had great chemistry between them all but agree with others that Garfield was a highlight.

It was great to see the villains too, with Dafoes Goblin more menacing then ever.

And JKs JJJ! Stirring the pot far more successfully than ever.

Might give it a while but definitely look forward to seeing it again!

Okay, I see where I made my mistake.

I don’t understand why that is a “let down” - heroes can make mistakes too and the occasional threat accidentally caused by the hero is a nice change from the threat just being caused by a bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Many might not agree, but I felt this film and concept was a very convoluted way of bringing the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn back into the fold, and gauging popular reaction as to whether to go down the route of giving this Spidey his own world Goblin.

Always said half the reason Marvel wanted Spidermans properties back was for Osborn, he's Marvel's Joker. This film was always going to be popular, but when the Green Goblin was announced, anticipation went through the roof. Like Joker for DC, Green Goblin gets people in the doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Got this movie spoiled for me before I can see it.

First was playing a game on xbox live and someone said in the chat one particular thing that happens. Just someone being bad randomly spoiling it for others.

The next was opening YouTube and smack right there was a video and its thumbnail said it all. Right in my YouTube feed.

Knew I would get it spoiled as time goes by but it's not even out a week.

Advertisement