Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers from post 185*

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Young Parker always lives in shadows of other characters in the movies, why it suddenly a complaint with Holland’s iteration? For example, you could easily make a similar list as your post regarding how Osborn pervades and drives Parker’s narrative in the first Maguire movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭kerplun k

IIRC, Raimis Parker was the opposite of this and very much stayed out of peoples shadow, often turning down help from others in order to be independent and make it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

‘Complaint’ was the term used by the other poster that I was responding to in this post.

I am not sure what the examples of Star Wars etc have with the point here. I am not claiming Stark doesn't have an effect on the story, my point is that I disagree with statements like in your OP that Holland 'wasn't really the lead of his own story' or the other poster's that he's 'never really been front and centre of any films that he’s starred as SpiderMan'. I'd have a similar response if someone claimed Luke wasn't the lead or front and centre in the OT Star Wars due to the shadow of Vader, same with Dorothy in Wizard of Oz etc.

Seems like you either missed my previous response to your post but I touched on my opinions on a lot of the above - I understand the perspective of some not enjoying the link with MCU but I enjoyed it and in my opinion it was very necessary to take a break from the usual origin story and put Parker in different circumstances, while at the same time adding a huge amount to the ensemble movies ('Mr Stark, I don't feel so good...').

While completely understanding that perspective I still see no evidence that Holland's Spider-Man is any less the center of his own story than other iterations of the character or other movies, where the lead character is never questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Wasn't expecting a huge amount and then as it started it felt like it was muddling along..

but DAMN! just about the point when

Aunt May died, the whole film just turned it up to an eleven!

It was all heart and humour and action and multiverse!

Really enjoyed it! Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Is this coming onto any streaming services does anyone know? I see it's available to rent, but I'm wondering if I'll be wasting €5 if it's about to hit Netflix.

I'm such a cheapskate:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Netflix definitely made a deal with Sony last year but I would imagine it won't show up until a year after release.

I'll probably just suck it up and pay it. I suppose a fiver won't kill me!

I really enjoyed that. The 3 Peters were great fun. I enjoyed Andrew garfield a lot more in this than in his own movies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's because, when all's said and done, Sony haven't a god-damn clue how to do a Spider-Man movie - or any tangential to the guy. It has been quite remarkable how the abiding consensus from audiences has been an uptick in a desire for an Amazing Spider-Man 3. Which is kinda bonkers.

The amazing spiderman movies had a couple of big problems. Andrew garfield was far too old to be spiderman. Seeing him go around with the skateboard maked him look like a guy trying to still be a teenager. Which is kind of what he was. Also, the bad guys were boring for the two films. Electro might just have been my problem - I tend not to love Jamie fox. But rhys ifans I'd have lots of time for and I couldn't warm to him either.

Were the Sam rami ones sony though? They were very good. And I thought into the spiderverse was sony too. That's perhaps the best of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the Raimi films were Sony but Avi Arad tried his best to sabotage those them IMO; #3 being when he managed it IIRC - where it was the studio who forced Raimi to include Venom. Heck, I think Raimi originally wanted Vulture as the main villain but was "persuaded" to go with that messy trio.

Spider-Verse remains one of the best superhero movies full-stop, but I'd play the card that as an animated feature that ran relatively under the radar, Sony was hands-off on that one. The live-action films feel a bit more Four Quadrant, and as such attract more studio interference. Ah, I just think Sony don't really know what to do with their small subset of Marvel properties and keep flailing about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spider-Man 3 definitely oozes 'studio compromised' and Raimi has been candid about why it didn't work. I would say a lot of the stuff in that film that feels like a natural follow-up from Spider-Man 1 + 2 is still excellent, it's just there's far too much going on around it. It's a more interesting watch - an undeniable mess though it is - than the bland nothingness that is The Amazing Spider-Man.

I'm not confident, but I really hope Raimi's Doctor Strange is good - the man has a unique understanding for what makes a good comic book movie tick, and I hope that comes out amid all the crossovers and universe-building shenanigans that are par for the course with an MCU movie.

I rewatched Spiderman 2 over he last couple of days. I remember thinking it was only okay at the time, but it was much better than that! My memory of 3 was that it was okay. I wonder is my memory wrong on that too.

I do have a slight problem with Toby Maguire though since seeing Molly's Game and knowing that he's player X. I find it hard not to think about it when I look at him. Which is strange, because I've heard worse stories about plenty of actors and have no problem forgetting them. I suppose I didn't watch a film about their bad behaviour though.

I never saw Oz the Great and Powerful, so no idea what paycheque Raimi looks like but given that's nearly 10 years ago I'm presuming - presuming - he's doing this sequel because he wants to? Given he was airdropped in to replace Scott Derrickson IIRC, perhaps it's more mercenary than aspiration.

Apparently even during Spider-Man, the crew hated Maguire; there's a scene where Peter Parker gets smacked repeatedly in the head by passing peoples' bags - and it was supposedly a genuine bit of payback, the extras not holding back, while Maguire wasn't aware it was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting rumours in relation to the next Spider-man movie.

Anya Taylor Joy is reportedly in talks to play Felicia Hardy/Black Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Shes a wonderful actress... so thats a thumbs up from me.

The crazy thing is that it has taken this long for the character to even be discussed as appearing; maybe the similar name to a DC character keeps executives cautious about an introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sony have had eyes on a Black Cat & Silver Sable movie for a few years (Silver & Black). Even had a director attached at one point if I remember right.

If the baddie was meant to be Hammerhead then basically Insomniac adapted the script for the DLC on their 2018 video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Getting a re-release with some extra's.

It is only $100m of breaking the $2B mark at the worldwide box office so I'm guessing that is what they are aiming for to getting.

• Advertisement

It's like they wanna run Sony's face in it. This is how you do a re-release fellas.

Saying it now. If Spidey is back to being a bum and a loser, then Sam Raimi should absolutely be given the next MCU film. It's only right. Let him make the Spidey 4 he wanted.

I think he let the side down with Doctor Strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Doctor Strange has Raimi flourishes for sure, but it’s still an MCU machine at its core - very much an illustration of the creative limits of the series. A proper Raimi Spider-Man 4 - complete with everything that made his previous SM films so special - seems wholly incompatible with the goals and tone of everything in the MCU to date.

Even if he got the gig, I’d be surprised if we got much more than a pale echo of the magic of Spider-Man 1, 2 and the best bits of 3.

Deleted

Welcome to the Spider-man: No Way Home thread.

whoops. Deleted and posted in correct thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw this last night on my cheap Now TV sub.

Really pretty impressed how they managed to salvage and bring all the movies together to a nice conclusion. Some really decent acting too. Bravo.

I saw some Venom related clip in the post credit scenes. I'm worried now that they are going to destroy everything again.

Advertisement