Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers from post 185*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wasnt happy they didnt do the meme and was that the smallest cameo ever for Hank Pym in the cafe at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Well that was great. I'll see it again on Saturday and see how I feel about it then.

There's a mid credit scene

Eddie (Tom Hardy not Topher grace) and Venom

and a Post Credit one too

Teaser for next Dr Strange movie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

With the movie now released can we get rid of the spoiler tags?

The smart move here would be to get Andrew Garfield back for a third movie and have Venom somehow show up due to some multiverse shenanigans. That way Sony get their Spiderman back and they can give Marvel the Tom Holland version.

Into The Spiderverse proved that people totally understand the multiverse logic so having two Spidermen existing in different universes is now not a problem.

I think audiences will want Garfield back after what we seen in No Way Home. I think he deserves it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

But is now in this universe? at least the symbiote is. Doesn't need to be any multiverse stuff anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Credit where credit is due: this is probably the most enjoyable and substantial of the Spider-Man MCU films. And extra credit where extra credit is due: after the miserable fan service ouroboros that was Ghostbusters Afterlife, this handles its callbacks better. I mean, it’s still a fan service ouroboros, but at least it’s not miserable. A plot is built around all these familiar faces, and almost all of them have multiple scenes and at least something to do (even if it’s clear the actors behind two particular returning, CG-heavy villains probably had about 2 hours total on an actual set / recording booth). Holland and Zendaya are too old to pass for high schoolers at this stage, but they do have actual chemistry which helps sets the stakes here.

The problem with it is the same as most MCU films: direction. Not plot direction - the actual nuts and bolts filmmaking. It’s perhaps even more pronounced here that we’re calling back to the Raimi Spider-Man films. While I still much prefer that particular take on Spidey than the wise-cracking high schooler here, it was ultimately Raimi’s vibrant direction that made those films the best live action Marvel films to date. Watts, alas, is no Raimi. While there’s more emotional and character heft here than the previous two films, it’s all blandly directed with no particular spark. The action is flat, the staging insipid, and the whole thing cloaked in ugly CG to the point where I often wondered how many of the actors were even in the same place. Even at the end, there was nice little visual moments to cut to black on, but even those were followed by more redundant epilogues. There’s just no oomph to the filmmaking. At least it’s coherent, which is more than I was expecting from a film with so many moving parts and extended universe nonsense.

Still: at least it delivers what it teased it would. It doesn’t deliver anything more than that really (it’s basically as straightforward a take on a ‘multiverse’ as you could imagine), and certainly nothing to match the joyous aesthetic ingenuity of Into The Spiderverse. But it’s undeniably good to see a lot of these characters and actors back, even relatively briefly. It has the same problems as many MCU films - there’s one ‘witty’ banter scene near the big, boring action climax that goes on for far, far longer than it needs to, and most of the jokes land flat. The constant winking and nodding at the audience frequently gets too much. And yes we’re covering the same thematic and character ground yet again. But as an avalanche of all things Cinematic Spider-Man it does its job, even if it does unavoidably serve as a reminder of how much better these kinds of films could be not so long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How did Norman Osborn ie Green Goblin and Electro come back to Life ? If resurrection is possible in the mutliverse then we could seen the return of Tony Stark/Iron Man etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It was explained that they were taken from the point before their Spiderman killed them (or at least what they thought was going to happen). So Electro was taken at the point Gar-Spidey and Gwen overloaded the grid, Lizard was taken maybe just before he cured him? Otto was taken during their battle on the river, Goblin before he was impaled by his own glider, and Sandman before he drifted away after making piece with Spidey Maguire.

In any case, the reaction in my screen when Garfield and Maguire appeared was absolutely electric. Delighted that they pulled it off and it was a great fan service (the scene where Garfield saved MJ was really sweet.

A few things I'm confused about re the ending though - so everyone has forgotten Peter Parker, but not Spiderman. So does that mean Spiderman was still with the Avengers during Infinity War/End Game etc - but they just have no idea who he was?

Will Dr Strange remember casting the spell and why he cast it - or is that going to be part of his confusion going into MVOM?

And why did Electro get a makeover? Was is it the different power he was absorbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I cant spoiler tag on the new site, but regarding your query as to why electro looked different. I assume its probably because they saw it as an opportunity to correct the awful version presented previously, or maybe Jamie foxx wanted it, in order to agree to appear, its been shown in trailers, but the flash of lightning around his head is very much a nod to his comic costume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regarding spoilers, the villains were always extremely prominent in every trailer, poster, photograph and so on. I don't think there's a need to spoiler-tag discussion around their presence or appearance; if someone's genuinely surprised to see Doc Ock return then fair play for avoiding the internet 😂 Their actions or paths within the story, sure. But not anything foundational.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

While waiting for the end credit stinger I saw Screen Ireland and The Government of Ireland got thank you credits.

Spoiler for final end credit stinger.

I wondering is this linked to Wandavision which also gave them credits and a thank you. So I do wonder were the scenes with Wanda filmed in Ireland which was speculated about in the Wandavison series thread or do Disney have a tax haven address in Ireland through the Irish Film Board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Well the pandemic doesn't seem to have effected it at the box office as it seems to be setting box office records all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I saw some nice nods to the 2018 videogame as well, especially around the major plot point they both share.

When Peter is looking down on dying May I'm sure the framing was made to look exactly like the videogame Peter as May lay on the hospital bed, also the inscription on her gravestone is the exact same here as it is in the videogame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went to see this today and all I can say is thank fook it was only 6euro's I paid to see it. Worst film I have seen all year in fact I would say its one of the worst films I have ever seen. The acting is brutal in it its liked they all phoned it in. Its 30 mins too long. Absolutely nothing happens for the first 25 to 30minutes. The fight scenes especially the last one is all over the place and the while film is just so dull and tedious with mo humour at all. I will be kind and give it 2 stars out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Now that Peter has to be self reliant again, down to even making his own suit, it would be amazing if Charlie Cox's Daredevil served as a friend and ally. I'd really like to see Spidey go back to street level heroics and this seems to be the way they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Can’t figure out how to do spoilers tags on this new site if you haven’t seen the movie don’t read my post

I went this evening. Irish audiences have no life and never laugh at comedies so when the place erupted in cheering and applause at the appearance of the “special guest” followed by more for the other “special guest” it made the moment so much better.

It is such a great movie - I wish that the death had not happened but it was heartbreaking scene brilliantly done.

I have a feeling I was the only person to know who the lawyer is.

EDIT: actually during the two moments of cheering at the cinema I could a little kid calling out the two actors’ names. Another priceless moment. I am so glad I didn’t know it was going to happen. I thought the acknowledgment that there others was as far as it would go

Post edited by Need a Username on

I like it when SpiderMan is helping the regular folks and I’m very glad he has this lawyer friend. :)

BTW, I thought SpiderMan didn’t exist in the Venom movie - I haven’t seen the second one yet - so how did Eddie Brock get pulled to the MCU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Post credit scene in Venom 2. I haven't seen the film myself either but I have seen the scene.

• Advertisement

Okay cool. I will be watching it over Christmas.

Again a spoiler warning - if someone could tell me how to do spoiler tags I would appreciate it.

just now the “working as a team” moment was in my head and the reaction of the other Spideys to Spidey being an Avenger is priceless. Maguire’s Peter 2’s genuine delight and positivity despite not knowing what an Avenger is and Garfield’s Peter 3’s “are you in a band” - brilliant.

to be honest, all their moments together are priceless - “I want to fight aliens” :)

As MJ fell I knew Peter 3 would be the one to save her. A lovely moment from Garfield when they were on the ground

Post edited by Need a Username on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For those still not able to do spoiler tags, highlight the text and click the icon in the above image and then click on '' symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I enjoy when theres a bit of atmosphere and reaction to big moments but the group that were in my screen yesterday ruined the movie for me. Screaming and shouting and practically jumping out of their seats when absolutely anything happened, pretty sure some had already seen the movie or read spoilers as they started reacting at the start of signifcant scenes rather than at the moment something happened. And the lad sitting behind me narrating/explaining the entire movie to his friend was pretty annoying

Regarding Spidey at the Endgame battle, it isn’t that they didn’t know who he was at the time, it is that they have forgot.

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness was originally supposed to come out first. I don’t know why this changed but both films were adjusted for No Way Home to be able to be released first.

So I don’t think that the spell going wrong in this movie is what leads to the events in Doctor Strange 2 - meaning Strange forgetting Parker isn’t an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How was Tom hardy sucked in? He doesn’t know peter Parker from Adam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I actually quite enjoyed that.

Id almost forgotten how good of an actor Willem Defoe is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Went to go see it tonight and it surprisingly lived up to all the hype and expectation !! Really enjoyed it all the way as there was never a dull moment where my mind would wander off which is what tends to happen to me if I don’t enjoy a movie.

The introduction of all the villains and heros was especially brilliant and had the room break into cheer, which just made the scenes so much more memorable for me personally

Already planning to go see it again in a couple of days time and I’m looking forward to it just as much as I was before tonight !!

• Advertisement

That sounds like some set out to be disruptive which is pathetic.

I’ve experienced the running commentary in cinemas before as well as general loud conversations. I don’t tolerate it - if they stop after I ask nicely then I get someone from the staff to tell them stop.

Advertisement