Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25 - Midleton to Youghal [planning and design to commence 2023]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

You mean to rebuild the line and restore train service, or to turn it into a greenway? I would be all for a greenway, but I would be surprised if a railway to Youghal would be commercially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep, it's not commercially viable. Once Waterrock is done, a SDZ in Mogeely could be a good shout. But Youghal is a BIG stretch. I'd love to see it in my lifetime, but I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes, the only likely rail extension would be to a new Special Development Zone between Mogeely and Castlemartyr. Beyond that, there’s no catchment for a train service until you get to Youghal, but Youghal itself is too far away from Cork to justify the cost of building a line out that far and too small to act as a hub, plus the railway alignment to Youghal doesn’t allow for any cost-effective extension into Co. Waterford.

Back on roads: with a bit of thought, a northern bypass of Castlemartyr could later serve as the main east-west access roads in that Mogeely SDZ. This would allow the problems to be treated now without the “wasted expenditure” of later bypassing the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

You're absolutely right. I'm pro M25 but politically the only way this section of the N25 would be touched is if either East Cork or West Waterford got a front bench minister. Just look at how Wexford has prospered during Brendan Howlins tenure.

Hopefully we'll see that at some point but it won't be soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Transport21 intend on the Atlantic corridor motorway from Rosslare to Letterkenny being complete by now?

In the multiverse maybe !

• Advertisement

Safety fist, then capacity. N25 is now a very safe road - it’s well engineered and the dangerous bits have been realigned or bypassed. It has a couple of bottlenecks, but there are now very few collisions or other incidents. There are far worthier candidates for works - once every other National Primary is at least up to the same standards as N25, we can look at capacity fixes. Yeah, it’s annoying to be stuck in traffic, but people have been killed on other roads due to poor sightlines, hidden junctions, bad bends or inadequate passing space. Fix those problems first.

There will be no "M25" - traffic levels don’t justify it outside of Cork City, and Cork doesn’t want one of its major commuter corridors under motorway restriction, because then it would have to pay to build alternative routes out of its own funds. With the sole possible exception of N20, we don’t need more motorways - just a network of high-quality roads.

Before anyone starts playing the parochial card - N25 is the road I drive most often by far, and any upgrade between Midleton and Waterford would be a direct benefit to me. I want to see it improved, but I don’t think it’s more important than bringing the rest of the network up to a safe standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Agreed Kris, I drive Castlemartyr to Cork every day for work and capacity wise it seems fine. A bypass of Castlemartyr is essential at this stage though, it's such a bottleneck for commuters and day trippers at the weekend. The village itself would benefit massively from reduced traffic, there are a lot of empty properties that might finally be redeveloped if traffic volumes were reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

I agree with pretty much everything you've said - the one problem is that there are plenty of areas along the N25 where one (often very) slow driver can dictate the speed at which all traffic must flow. From the end of the Youghal Bypass to Killeagh is often a spot I've observed this; albeit anecdotally; and the reason why overtaking isn't available is due to heavy traffic coming from the opposite direction. I've seen quite a few dangerous attempts at overtaking here.

Another bad section is Carroll's Cross for about 4km towards Kilmeaden; overtaking opportunities aside that area is notorious for dangerous manoeuvres by people pulling across in front of traffic from side roads - not to mention the disaster that is Waterford Co Co's love of roundabouts in Dungarvan with another on the way at Coolagh!

Don't get me wrong - when the roads are quiet and/or when drivers use the road correctly the N25 is one of the best national roads in the country - sadly though unless they start telling people to either pull in and let traffic flow or introduce more overtaking lanes then it will continue to be a cause for concern and dangerous driving.

Maybe not M25 but 2+2 would help a lot of this.

Yep I know of several serious crashes which have resulted from people pulling out of side-roads.

The Dungarvan roundabouts are a disaster too. They render the bypass almost unusable. They'll surely be looking for a "bypass-of-the-bypass" before long. I often find it faster to go through town than to take the bypass, and that shouldn't be the case.

In my experience it’s never quicker to go through Dungarvan than use the bypass road, and I can’t accept that roundabouts would be an issue to any drivers on a stretch of road that’s under a 60 km/h speed limit.

There is an outer bypass of Dungarvan on the list of suspended projects: the preferred route from 2010 was approximately 16 km of Type 2 DC from the bend at the Sweep (the wide hairpin just west of Dungarvan) to about 2 km east of the Pike (the tight hairpin to the East of Dungarvan).

This would not be a cheap build: the two ends of this scheme involve some really difficult terrain (and the section over the River Brickey is wetland).

• Advertisement

On theoretical distance and speed it's slower to go the ring road. It's 3km/60kmh versus through the town (2.4km/50kmh). I think they've recently made the square a 30kmh "shared space", and that now makes the end result closer, so it's almost equal both ways.

The roundabouts make you cede right of way, so if there's a car even going the opposite direction to you, you must act with caution and not "chance it" until they're through. Maybe "negotiate" the roundabout is a good way to describe it. And though you negotiate 2 "proper" roundabouts through the town, the ring road has 5. HGV's naturally won't build up to full speed between some of the roundabouts. I don't think it's possible to go anywhere near the 60kmh average end-to-end. I suspect it's more like a 35-40kmh average.

Late at night or early in the morning when I pass, if there's a HGV ahead of me, I'll often go through town and come out ahead. I fully acknowledge that this is undesirable. But I also think the number of roundabouts was excessive.

Maybe we should start a new N25 thread for East of Youghal, because this is an interesting discussion IMO. Dungarvan has long been a pain in the behind, for me.

EDIT: Dial 07:00 into Google maps there, and it'll tell you through town is normally faster than the Ring Road. Whereas, if you dial in 19:00 into Google maps, it'll tell you that around town is normally faster. This echoes what I've seen and I think echoes what you're saying. Depending on the time of day, through town is faster. That's a shame, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its no quicker to go through the center of Dungarvan... I've been stuck coming westbound behind a car with a trailer behind it carrying a boat. It went around the ring road and I went through the center of the town to try and get past it. Speed limits all the way of course, but coming out at the final roundabout who should juust be going round it... bloody trailer and boat. And this was with no traffic on a Saturday evening late. But the problem with Dungarvan isn't just the roundabouts its the 60kmh section up The Pike to the east of the town. Thats torture and makes the overtaking line (which is terrifying to use) absolutely useless.

Sadly, the roundabouts are just as slow as going through the center can be. But I do stand by my original thing - that the entire of the N25 should be at least 2+2. Perhaps Type 1 from the end of the proposed Carrigtohill - Midleton scheme to the east of Castlemartyr where a lot of traffic leaves, but 2+2 from there all the way to the N11/N25 junction at Wexford.

If the N24 is getting at least 2+2 for the entire of its length, then this should happen for the N25 too. Theres also the small matter of the 1960s Youghal Bridge - like its predecessor that had a 20mph speed limit and chicanes, its the only river crossing south of Cappoquin. And Cappoquin has the Tullow Hairpins just west of it... not suitable for HGVs, so the alternative is the N24 which is a substantial diversion (although admittadly its actually not as much of a diversion as you probably think, look at it in google!)

I'd agree with a new thread for east of Youghal perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is no chance of dual carriageway east of Dungarvan, nor should there be. The fact that east of Midleton is well down the priorities list tells a story, that's before the terrain difficulties east of Youghal.

An upgraded N24 will accommodate traffic between Cork and Waterford/Rosslare. The additional distance is small and the better road quality and fewer reasons to stop could make that route more fuel efficient. At that stage the N25 between Youghal and Waterford would be more suited to being a National Secondary.

An upgraded N24 will accommodate traffic between Cork and Waterford/Rosslare. The additional distance is small and the better road quality and fewer reasons to stop could make that route more fuel efficient. At that stage the N25 between Youghal and Waterford would be more suited to being a National Secondary.

Either the whole route is a primary, or none of it is: use of certain sections doesn’t come into it. Even if it did, you may not be familiar with the route, as traffic picks up a lot between Dungarvan and Waterford. The only really quiet stretch is between Dungarvan and Youghal (and further east, between New Ross and Wexford), but that is already built to a high standard, and is unlikely to need upgrading for decades.

But N24 will not replace N25. From Port of Waterford to the Jack Lynch Tunnel is 145 km via N24+M8, and 125 km via N25 (from Rosslare is 204 vs 184). You won’t last long in the freight business if you pay 12~16% more than you could have to get goods from A to B. And yes, you can travel a little faster on M8, but that uses more fuel per km, so costs more again. And while the N25 distance has potential to be reduced by about 5-6 km through the various planned bypasses, there aren’t any such possibilities on N24 - the new alignment is actually likely to be longer than the current one in order to bypass Clonmel.

The N24 has an important purpose, but that purpose is not to be the main route between Waterford and Cork (or, for that matter, between Cork and Limerick) - funnelling all traffic east of Cork through this route would require making N24 into a motorway, which would have little chance of passing planning.

Naturally traffic east of Cork would continue to use the N25. Depending on the start point/destination, the N24 may be a more attractive route, particularly if DC is provided making it an easier/safer journey. It would become even more so if the Cork NRR was built.

The fact remains, the traffic levels between Youghal and Waterford, the safety of the existing road and the difficult terrain to be contended with if building a new road will mean that such a new road is extremely unlikely to be built. We know for certain that it is not on the radar for the foreseeable future. The N24 is further ahead in the process and if delivered, it will likely impact future N25 upgrades.

Yep agreed with you there KrisW1001. The N24/M8 particularly makes little sense for those journeys originating East of the M8. South of around Dungourney it's N25 every time. North of Dungourney, it's N72 and N25.

Even if the N24 is upgraded, a large number of journeys will never migrate over. I don't think the volume on the N25 is going to go anywhere but up in the medium to long term, regardless what happens with the N24.

A bit like the M20 in that regard. On the face of it, the diversion via the N24 looks reasonably sensible but it's all the same arguments again: only a small fraction of the traffic is end-to-end and a lot of the traffic originates on the corridor.

This relates back to the original thing I said, Cork doesn't matter much at a national level and East Cork less so. There's no real comprehension at a national level of the level of industrial and economic activity in the area. But the Carrigtohill / Midleton area is reasonably significant, as is Dungarvan. This is unlike the west-of-Ireland cry of "we need infrastructure to attract industry". The industry is actually there, and the traffic likely isn't going to divert to another corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Well if we can't get funding for this road under a Cork Taoiseach and Public Expenditure minister, we'll never get it.

Exactly this. Someone mentioned earlier that Wexford thrived while Brendan Howlin was a minister, but so did Sligo with no minister. Limerick had Michael Noonan for many years, Cork has Mícheál Martin, Simon Coveney, Michael McGrath in cabinet, not to mention a plethora of other TDs and senators in government.

If infrastructure is really a pressing issue for the electorate of Cork, it needs to be consistently be made known to politicians that it's a political issue that could cost them their seat. When vocal cohorts, at local level, make it their business to object to infrastructural development, as was the case with the M28, as is the case with the M20, that dilutes the cause at a political level. This didn't happen in Wexford, Sligo, Mayo or indeed with any other major infrastructure project except notably the current Galway ring road saga, and of course Dublin, where objections to everything and anything while moaning about traffic/housing/lack of public transport has become a perennial hobby.

As long as these projects are deemed to be like a GAA match within the political realm, in which politicians have to take a 'side', there will be delays/inertia/cancellations. Politicians respond to what their electorate demands of them. Unfortunately in Cork, the demands are incoherent and often become politically toxic.

Taoisigh and Ministers don't have a free hand to build any road they like. Even if they did, the entire process takes so long that they could no longer be in that position when vital decisions are made. There is a long list of projects moving through the system, any other projects added have to start from the beginning.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people complainaboutprojects elsewhere and accuse of parish pump politics but then cry out for parish pump politics to benefit themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

100k included for N25 Midleton-Youghal in 2022.

Massive, massive kudos to James O’Connor TD for persistence on this given the funding reductions in the forthcoming year.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you need a young TD like him to shake it up a bit and push for something, making him unpopular at party level. He isn't towing the line like they "should", which is great.

Edit: Interesting that its listed as Midleton - Youghal specifically, rather than just "Castlemartyr and Killeagh relief roads".

Maybe they've read boards and seen my constant whinging!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Eamon Ryan said the following about the Castlemartyr bypass recently:

“I can confirm that an allocation has been made by TII to Cork County Council for the N25 Castlemartyr and Killeagh bypass, which is on the N25 Midleton to Youghal corridor.”

Source:http://stanton.ie/2022/05/17/castlemartyr-bypass-2/

I can only assume thats the 100k allocated to it in TII 2020:

https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2020/2020NAT_CorkCoCo.pdf

Bypassing both places is a much bigger scheme than I was expecting from the Greens. In honesty, Castlemartyr alone would fix 90% of the problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Big question is where do you start and end?

Loughaderry-Burgess would sort the 2 villages but put serious pressure on the Lakeview roundabout. Killeagh-Youghal bypass is just a few km that you could do for safety reasons if you’re doing the 2 villages. How to deal with Lakeview is the big question

Lakeview will be its own project, I suspect. It will need some pretty expensive solutions to deal with the movements it needs to in such a limited area. It's also a safe, out-of-town interchange that is congested primarily at peak times by car commuters, so that would push it down the list for improvements. (Killeagh and Castlemartyr have heavy traffic traversing the main street, and Castlemartyr is congested across the whole day; both count in their favour for being progressed ahead of Lakeview)

Killeagh to the Youghal bypass is already pretty good. A lot will depend on what standard of road is chosen for this scheme. If it's 2+2 (which I suspect it would be, given current traffic levels), that would make a direct tie-in to Youghal bypass more likely.

The old scheme was Midleton to the Waterford end of the Youghal bypass. I suspect that the scope of this one will be the Midleton junction (where the current Carrigtwohill - Midleton scheme ends, if it ever gets done), to the start of the Youghal bypass.

Whether the whole lot gets built initially or whether they design it to build say, Castlemartyr west to Killeagh east or something like that first, I dunno. Good to see it is actually moving a little bit though.

After a year of work, this scheme has jumped the first fence in the Grand National of National Roads Project Planning

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41055371.html

"For transport projects, this is now classified as being at the end of the initial scoping stage in advance of concept and feasibility studies."

Sums it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

I don't want to derail the thread with a tangent but looking at the sign from the above article (https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41055371.html), should it be Cork at the top followed by the furthest away destinations in order? What is the logic used in the sign?

• Advertisement

It’s just a mistake, I think. All of those are directly reachable from N25, so they should be listed in descending distance order.

The next sign of this kind along the road, just after Castlemartyr, has the destinations in the correct order:

Advertisement