Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The man has a neck on him - it may take a bit more than this to shift him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

He will survive. I don't think the Tory's will put a heave on now, they will wait until COVID and Brexit has calmed down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

As long as the majority of voters and press keep addressing this gadge as "Boris" as if he's their personal, clownish and pitiful acquaintance, he's going nowhere.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

The UK's collective ability to ignore the antics of their sh.it show government never ceases to amaze me. He'll survive. Teflon Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Bit like ourselves? Perhaps we are not that different after all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The whole thing looks so bad it's hard to see how he survives tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

You are right, we are not. But if we in our country want to be different, one small and simple step to take is to stop addressing our leaders by their first/christian names. Seriously, stop doing it. Stop calling them 'Leo'. Stop calling them 'Mehole'. Stop calling them 'Mary Lou'. Just don't do it. If everyone stopped doing it (there is no actual logical or beneficial reason for any ordinary citizen to do this anyways) the political hucksters, the scammers, the exact same sort of joke of leadership we have here as the ones over there, they would collectively $hit their pants in the space of a week.

You can be absolutely guaranteed, if the entire mainstream UK tabloid/press in the morning started addressing The UK Prime Minister solely as PM "Johnson" instead of good auld "Boris", Johnson would know he has about 8 hours left in office.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

At least if we want to vote in change we can do it. In the UK Labour skirting around Brexit being a mistake for fear of pissi.ng off the red wall won't get them anywhere. Two party system with the Tories making mistake after mistake with any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just for the record the conservative majority in the last election in North Shropshire in 2019 was 22,949 votes. Now obviously the reasons behind this by election will play a part in that being reduced, but you’d think that the conservatives will be watching the margin if they hold or lose the seat because by elections are always referred to as a referendum on a government, and while this one result even if the tories lose the seat, won’t make someone challenge the prime minister but it might make them realise that they need to cop on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It won't. British politics is well and truly broken.

This is why I much prefer coalitions to single party majorities. If the Taoiseach did this with his officials and a few FF'ers there's no possible way that FG and the Greens could stay in government with them.

I would be very surprised if anything happened as a result of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who's behind him is the worry.

British PMs by convention will have had to have served at one of the "great offices of the State"

Let's take a look at the candidates:

Former Foreign Secretary / Dep. PM - Dominic Raab: Boilerplate public schoolboy to Oxbridge conveyer belt specimen, has all the pieces of paper but has led a charmed political life and hasn't really achieved anything. Term as Foreign Secretary characterized by a chaotic relationship with Europe. One of the Brexit bunglers. Don't normally go in for this thing but seriously pale, male and stale.

Exchequer - Rishi Sunak: High achiever and good 'by the bootstraps' immigrant family story. Plenty of ability and would be powerful symbolically. Ex-Goldman Sachs though, and married into a seriously influential Indian billionaire family which could prove problematic.

Former Exchequer - Sajid Javid: Even better immigrant family done good story than Sunak. Grew up in a right shithole in Rochdale, made his way up the ladder to Deutsche Bank and into Westminster. Got a demotion from Boris for defying him over something minor. Was a remainer but was eurosceptic in his youth. Muslim background but not practicing. Best and most realistic pick IMO.

Home Secretary - Priti Patel: No. This woman would drag the UK and external bilateral and EU relation to new lows. Thinks she's Thatcher reborn. Her reputation as a well-known bully of staffers may not spook the wider Tory party and sully her reputation but it should.

Current Foreign Secretary - Liz Truss: Lacks profile, has some sort of dogmatic free-enterprise ethos with all the concomitant axioms. Had an affair years ago (I don't care, but does the Tory party?)

Former Foreign Secretary - Jeremy Hunt: Second go at the cherry? Unlikely. Wife is Chinese, he called her Japanese on a trip to Beijing. Scarlet for him. Seems terribly boring.

Outside shot - Rory Stewart: Never was minister at any of the "Great offices", but surely the most thoughtful and intellectual of the field. Likely former MI6 officer (probably, though he denies it and his father was known to be second in command of the agency), speaks multiple languages, firm remainer and harsh critic of the way Brexit was executed. Ran an NGO and renowned travel author. Real renaissance man and a throwback. Defender of hedgehogs. Out of place in the modern Tory movement and unlikely to get a fair hearing. Resigned from the Tories and sits as an independent, Boris exit may see him back into the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's clear the tide has finally turned against him but can't see him going anywhere just yet.

The media even the pro conservative ones are being pretty critical.

One interesting little story is that the inoy rag that isn't covering the parties is the s#n. Who seemingly had a big Christmas party themselves during lockdown on the same night in Dec 2020....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

"Wife is Chinese, he called her Japanese on a trip to Beijing".

😆 thats amazing.

Prince Phillip tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd have a morbid curiosity to see Priti Patel as PM in the same way I might have done when Trump's 2016 campaign was just getting going, probably best it doesn't happen so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

That’ll never happen, especially not in Ireland. The Irish have a very parochial mindset, for better and worse. Example: the parish pump politics. The Irish like to feel they “know” their politicians and that they could verbally take them down a peg or two when needed. And when you want to do that, you’d be on the back foot starting with (Mr) Martin or Varadkar instead of plain old Mehole and Leo. I don’t think you’ll be able to change that tradition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The fact that so many of his own backbenchers are moving against him is ominous. His administration has been a circus since Cummings departed, to be frank about it. I think its becoming apparent to the wider parliamentary party that there isn't much substance behind Johnson whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No chance she is not liked at all....Rishi Sunak feels like the most likely successor to me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Someone is definitely moving against him.

Look at all the stories and scandals that have slipped out against him recently. The party was a year ago but we hear now just after the "sleaze" scandal, the MoD whistleblower and all as Covid is getting worse

He should be toast but probably won't be for a while. As yurt says above who is coming behind him. I wonder would the likes of Gove make a move against him when he sees the opportunity. Gove is every bit as sinister as Johnson and from our perspective has no particular love for Ireland. He was against the GFA. I only hope Labour can get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

Majority? What % of votes did they get. We complain here about elections but there’s is crazy votes compared to % of house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's common every where, maybe you need to broaden your horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I still cannot get over how the comic relief guy from three seasons ago is now the main lead running the show.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Labour are trying to get its act together but alot of the party activists have absolutely no interest in power.

The main ace card for the Tories on the doorstep is pointing at Labour.

That's on Labour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

He has thrown plenty of people under the bus, that eventually comes back to haunt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The way he flatly give zero fooks about Cummingsgate and his attitude to this current party problem leads me to believe he ain't going anywhere.

He is dangerous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rory Stewart is not even an MP anymore, nor is he in the Lords (there was a Tory leader and PM from the Lords in the 60s, it can happen).

As for the Great Offices - Blair hadn't. Thatcher hadn't. May be a case that you need it to be a short term leader! Johnson's term in one was brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ah, I thought he retained his seat as an independent. My error.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's his back bench that decide not him and they are seeing numbers turn badly. In fact Major is the only Tory PM of my lifetime to be taken out by the electorate the other 3 were pushed, resigned or both

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He's not Robert Mugabe; if his party turns against him he has to go

• Advertisement

The Tories like being in power, as soon as they think Johnson is putting that at risk he is gone.

Advertisement