Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

I'm willing to forgive Leo all and take back everything bad I've said about him if he removes power from NPHET who are now running the country.

Anyone who believes otherwise (nphet only offer advice- lol) is delusional.

I vote soc dems/ Labour, but willing to change course as I believe democracy is on the line here and across Europe. This is worrying me more than the virus itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭prunudo

As a poster said yesterday, its not just hospitality staff. The knock on effects go all the way down the chain, the food/drink companies, the transport companies, cleaning companies, even down to the beauticians/hairdressers who will loose business with people not doing themselves up to go out.

So many narrow minded people and 'I'm alright Jack's' thinking its only about lads going for pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

This is the most virtuous post I have ever seen! Who are you trying to impress?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

ICU audit report from 2018:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/noca-uploads/general/Irish_National_ICU_Audit_Annual_Report_2018_FINAL.pdf

There is no day-to-day charts, but as per Figure4.1 on page 46, total number of admissions to ICU in 2018 was 8882. Average of 24 patients at any given day. Most of patients were age 60 or older and 46% required ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps wishful thinking, Leo will always require someone else to Blame and I certainly won't be forgiving him, MM and this utterly appalling Government for what has been abject and consistent failure in leadership skills , I didn't mention Eamonn Ryan, primarily because he's absolutely clueless and irrelevant almost to kind a word to describe him.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Absolutely - it moved location I believe due to an increase in numbers expected and there looked to be a good (and peaceful) crowd at it, by that video - but not a sound of it anywhere. Says everything, doesn't it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am not a fan - but I have said it before, at least Leo says something and is capable of challenging whoever he take sit into his head to challenge.You mightn't like what he says, but you generally know where he stands on things.Martin just bends whatever way the wind blows.We won't see this beginning to end until Martin is gone I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not a fan of Leo at all but I've come to the conclusion he's the best of a bad lot. He tried to take NPHET on last October/November 2020, didn't end well for him but I respect him for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Any posts from you when other countries were opening up and we weren't or do you only notice them when they introduce restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i hope those naive fools who are pro restrictions and lockdowns realise that hyperinflation is coming for us all and when it arrives next year you do not get to complain about it, you helped bring it

I do take your point but personally I believe Leo's and perhaps others in is party (Harris etc) have been partly to blame for the mix messaging that has prevailed now for an extraordinary length of time. It pretty much commenced when MM took over and its been relentless ever since albeit Harris curiously quite of late (not a bad thing at all)

I'm certainly not defending MM but I can't help but think there's been a concerted effort within government to undermine him albeit this doesn't take away from the fact he's clearly a Buffoon.

People once argued the national interest trumped FF & FG pulling out of this farce of a government, I'd suggest the national interest as in us the citizens have been taken for complete fools and primarily only because of self interest, not national interest by this shower of clowns . IMO of course 😏

Not just hyper inflation a serious kick in the B*****X for 1000's of small businesses already struggling with serious Rent arrears, Revenue Debts , disputes with insurance companies (still a serious issue that no one's talking about), redundancy costs . Government seem to think commercial rates waivers going to help, if businesses can barely afford to pay their rents or employee's, these waivers are utterly meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Luckily for me they haven't gone after my business's sector again yet but if they do I'll be pulling the plug.

I can't imagine what bars/restaurants/nightclubs and the countless businesses connected to them are going through at the moment. I wouldn't blame any of them if they decided to just wrap up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭brickster69

Must be a total nightmare Larsson. What do you do, keep throwing money at it when there is no sign of an end. Bad enough for the pubs with the uncertainty yet these nightclubs cannot possibly survive and they will have a job to sell them as a going concern because they are not. What do you do ?

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Michael Martin is so hard to like. He's lying to the public at the moment that these restrictions are due to Omicron variant. We all know these restrictions were coming, NPHET doesn't trust us to behave over Christmas (rightly or wrongly). But MM has no problem standing out in front us lying telling us how great of a job they're doing only for this new variant to come and scupper our plans.

I load of us said it on here at the time, we should have had next to no restrictions all summer but we were told no just another few months and all will be fine, this thing isn't seasonal. It's actually unbelievable when you think about it that we were still be fined thousands for leaving the country up to mid July! As soon as Winter comes then everyone agrees it's seasonal. It sounds like Leo finally realises this but its a year and a half too late.

I have connections in the sector having spent 30 years in it and it's pretty Grim as it is . The past few months really was only about catch up and a slow one at that . I had a restaurant myself many years ago and my god I shudder to think what it would have been like trying to make rent, lease, tax payments if I was still in that business. I personally know 10 owners who not even scratch the surface dealing with legacy debt challenges, its honestly heart breaking .

Separately I know some in the Adventure centre sector , particularly children's play centres. Closed for 19 months, barely open a month and gov telling people to stay away. Serious rents owed and I can confidently say friends I've spoken to will, through absolutely no fault of theirs shut up shop shortly. It would seem the only way to get actual government support is set up a **** Panto production company and go on media outlets and moan, whinge and cry and seek attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Warehousing of revenue debt is going to be a big problem for businesses in due course as revenue are going to forgive **** all. And even the wage subsidy is going to be reviewed and they will go and recover as much as they can. revenue are sharpening their knives waiting for government to release them

So I'm heading for my booster shortly at my GP surgery, I need it as I'm immune compromised, I honestly never thought I'd even think about or even say it but after yesterday's rather depressing debacle, I'm actually beginning to wonder, what is the point really . Saying this or even thinking this way is shocking but I don't think I'm alone 😕

They absolutely are and it was very curious a report only 2 days ago that Revenue have reported a number of companies to the Gardai, essentially claiming blatant Robbery, not just Fraud. Separately the CRO told companies struggling to meet deadline for returns to go to the district court to seek extensions, I'm no company law expert but I agree the knives are being sharpened, not just over at revenue but also commercial Landlords Queuing up outside the High Court . I understand landlords have entitlements too but my god this is going to get very messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I remember when the covid pass was introduced and I believe there was no expiration date. Now it's a year, in some countries it's even less.

The deceit is just incredible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are lads in here that defended the summer restrictions to the very hilt. The recreational shills telling us that if staying closed for another 3 months meant we never had to close again it was worth it, that keeping bars shut just another few weeks to get jabs in arms was worth it, that the super duper vaccine rollout was going to be the end of it. And when you pointed out that delaying reopening until the end of October was a bad idea they called you a doom monger and whinger.

They didn't get it then, they won't get it now. They defended restrictions in the summer and they will try to hand wave them away again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The point is to protect yourself from a potentially lethal virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know that revenue have already taken a chunk of money back from our company. Not in any criminal sense, they just audited all the payments over the initial pandemic response and said some had to be returned, but it shows that they are not operating in NPHET's wishy washy world of make believe, they are coming for every penny they can get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭brickster69

That's another nightmare looming the commercial property sector. The value of them will be dropping like a stone and those owning the buildings will have big loans that need to be serviced yet they can't get the income coming in because the businesses cannot earn anything.So if these companies are over exposed and can't pay what they owe then that exposes the banks.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

At this point I’m pretty confused …

Firstly the use & definition of a vaccine was to prevent infection , develop immunity and spread thus boosting herd immunity. But to date the spread continues. Then there are the mutations … then catch up with another booster or vaccine. It seems a bit of a merry-go-round albeit not so merry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm still angry with Micael Martin. and that pathetic speach and lack of leadership shown yesterday, destroying an indusrty cause he has no backbone to fight for what is right. 94% of the popluation is vaccinated and cases and hospital numbers are stablising in fact going down and he takes away hope for so many, to pander to the over anxious and Tony Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Hopefully in the years to come a better vaccine can be developed but this is the best we have now and it prevents individuals from getting seriously sick and putting hospitals under pressure also restricting access to other vital services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The restrictions are disproportionately hitting young people , single people and lonely people

I'm seeing a lot of people in bad mental shape

There's a lot of couples and married people don't notice it that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I wish Martin and Holohan showed the same empathy for people in poor mental shape as they did for Covid - but nevermind, only one thing matters today , for Martin and NPHET.

Advertisement