Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No, I'm calling you out on stating the risk from Covid is low, lower than getting a booster. Feel free to provide the data. Everything we do has risk, and yes, you have to quantify but you haven't, and you know well that Covid is not something you want to contract or spread to others - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

There you go so : https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1327, the chances of someone in their 20s actually requiring medical care are about 1 in 30 going to 1 in 100 for hospital care, that's not bad compared to the stated side effect rates as per the HSE's own publication (at least the papers I received when getting mine).

Anyhow, I'm not arguing with you about Covid, just stating that convincing people to take a booster within a year of the vaccine for an illness they have already had and gotten over is a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The general thinking around boosters is that they should absolutely be used in over 65s and at risk groups first, then the rest of the world before we come back to the rest of the population who are not in urgent need of one. Of course that is not going to happen and any country that can line up its population to get boosters will do so.

Actually, yes, you stated : "So, no risk then?"

As I've already said, there's always a risk, it's your own choice and you have to consider your own concerns when making that decision, not some scientific study someone on boards googled.

I said that, when responding to your not providing data at that point in the thread. I am glad you are in support of Covid vaccination, it is hard to tell sometimes. Per the Tanaiste on CNN last night, the problem leading to the reintroductions of restrictions here, is the unvaccinated. Getting boosters into people will reduce their impact - at this point, I believe the unvaccinated are a lost cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I've got the first two, but I think I'm now done.

I never saw myself in any real danger from covid myself. I took the vaccine to do my bit for those few who arent at minuscule risk and to help us to get out of this hellish circle. On both counts the vaccines didnt deliver it seems.

A third one to make it alright? And after that a fourth one? All the way tied to a partake-in-life-permission (or not)?

Maybe it is safe to have twenty or a hundred. Who knows. I dont think anyone wants to actually harm us and I'm obviously not 'anti-vax'.

But I dont think I want to partake in this try and error approach and I certainly dont want to support the political games around it anymore.

This isn't a final decision. There are always other considerations like family pressure or something, but on the whole I'm pretty p***** off about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

I can't see myself taking the third jab. I'm young and healthy so don't really see why I should. I took the first two to protect family and try to get back to real life etc but now we're told it doesn't affect transmission so I don't see the point. We need to accept that if it's going to become endemic we'll all eventually catch it and shutting the country down every six months until we all get more injections isn't a solution

It's a 3 dose vaccine now..You'll take it if you want your pass to keep working..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No booster for me - I’m not in an at risk group. I took the vaccine to protect the elderly and get society herd immunity, but turns out that was a load of rubbish. There isn’t any attempt by the drug companies to explain why the vaccines cause neurological problems in some people - I had 2 months of nerve inflammation, there is no-one who can tell me whether the booster is likely to do the same/worse or less. There is no information, no discussion, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭bloopy

I believe we may be seeing the genesis of the 'vaccinated antivaxer' insult train in this thread.

Should get fun over the next few months. Leos changing of the wording to 3 dose vaccine rather than booster may indicate how the term "fully vaccinated" is going to change pretty soon.

Will some of us end up getting thrown back outside with the rest of the unclean. I don't think we will have to wait too long to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

New pseudonym:

The Artist Formerly Known as Fully Vaccinated

boosta == game changea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yep, im of the same opinion.

Yet heres the rub if i said no im not taking a booster jab give it to someone more in need of it than me apparently im a selfish granny killer who deserves to not have the same rights of others in this country because of my selfishness!!

That is how fu@<ed people have become in this country over COVID!!!

I'm in favour of choice and personal responsibility, I don't believe a word out of any of them tbh, they fronted so much misinformation on their own end when the vaccines were first mooted, the problem is responsibility and no vaccine is a silver bullet, dictating to certain people (including myself) is a huge mistake and leads to backlash and non-co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

well there isn’t really an option anyway. If someone here refuses a booster for those reasons it’s not going to be sent to a country that may need it. I’d rather take the booster than have it wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Give me it asap...

Covid doesn't care about your perceived responsibilities or whatever you think you're entitled to. It's a virus. Skip the vaccine and boosters at your own risk. As the Tanaiste says, the problem is the unvaccinated.

The Tanaiste can say whatever he likes.

We are past the point of diminishing returns with this approach to the unvaccinated since more legal disadvantages and demonisation will just convince them they're up against a hostile system which can't be trusted.

The persuasion campaign should have been much smoother if population-wide 'up-take' was the actual goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

The more antivaxxers, the fewer antivaxxers. Problem solved, eventually.

• Advertisement

Ebola on the other hand is much better at the killing, and that makes it shite at spreading compared to COVID. A virus that lays its victims low quickly and then kills most of them will have a hard time spreading in big numbers.

Hardly. These vaccines are not the gift of life itself. Huge numbers of people are at no risk.

My colleague told me the other day her daughter said she hopes to get covid so she'll get time off work.

At this point, I hope she gets her risk. FAAFO.

Keep repeating 'huge amounts of people are at no risk.' That'll help you when you've not had your booster, fer sure.

There seems to be no pattern to who gets the side effects. Me: sore arm, nothing else; Mme Storkeuse: felt very ill for a day; 17 year old daughter: felt very ill for a day; 17 year old niece: felt very ill for a day; 15 year old daughter: slightly sore arm, nothing else; 87 year old mother; slightly sore arm, nothing else (she also had the flu jab on the same day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Got the J & J single jab, not gonna take the booster I'm in my 30s so in a low risk group so I don't feel like I need it. Sick to death of the whole thing at this stage.

I will keep repeating it because it's true.

You can praise Pfizer for bestowing the gift of life on you but someday you will die. We all will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah sure it's no hassle to get and it's done wonders so far in allowing us to reopen society and get people's livelihoods back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Have had the booster - plus the usual flu jab - with no problems so far. According to the venerable Luke O'Neill, I should now be OK for another 11 months or so, in which case I presume it will all combine into another yearly top up, or similar. Intend to keep wearing a mask and avoiding crowds and just wish more people would see the sense in what the medics are trying to do. The hospitals are now filling up with the mostly unvaccinated which is dreadful for all concerned, but infuriating for those unfortunate patients who are waiting for urgent operations and procedures. Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I will not be getting any boosters, the virus mutates far too often for any booster to be of any worth. Or we'll need to open brand new vaccination centres and give back the facilities that are currently take over for a booster every three or so months. I wouldn't want to live like that.

Advertisement