Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For those who are unaware of what BitChute, where Dave Cullen lives, is.

QAnon and Infowars types abide there too. It's up there with 4chan and 8chan as bastions of reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With last night's 11th-hour announcement of 100% capacity for nightclubs, it looks like for the most part the government have pushed ahead with their original full reopening plan, just with the covid certs still in place.

All the talk of social distancing at the bar, etc., just falls back to the "personal responsibility" message.

Be interesting when the law is published (you know, the law that came into effect at midnight...) to see what is actually a legal requirement and what is just advice.

At this stage I feel with the confusion and general annoyance, they've made it worse than if they had just proceeded as planned. People - Irish people in particular - tend to rebel against rules out of spite, so making a complete balls of this is more likely to have people saying "**** it" than if they had just allowed personal responsibility to be the message. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I would bet that if you were transported back to 1918 your predictions would have been the same wouldn’t they? Your prediction would be that the deadlier highly contagious spanish virus would have been a headache for many years to come right? It lasted 3 years and the roaring 20’s followed. Normality returned.

I disagree with your doomongering prediction but we’re all entitled to our opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

I am talking about last year because it provides numerous examples of what Coronavirus can do if you let it run its course naturally.You are only focused on Sweden. Many countries took that approach and ended up in lockdown. The UK initially was one of them.

The result was that Sweden had 10 times the death rate of their neighbours and in the December brought in many restrictions to fight it.

At the end of December they then:

- limited capacity in restaurants, stores, shopping centres and stopped selling alochol after 8pm.   

- cancelled after Christmas sales.

- optional masks.

- closed museums saunas gyms and other non essentials.

- closed schools.

The UK will go back into lockdown as you predict because there will be serious burden on the health system. There is nothing more too it.

Tedros being a terrorist and covering up cholera is irrelevant. I don't see the connection or why he would want to overstate the dangers of covid.

If there is covid in babies in Africa and the virus is spreading there but everyone in Ireland is vaccinated with time the virus from Africa will mutate and probably reenter Ireland. Hence it is not over anywhere until it is over everwhere.

Take Smallpox as an example. It was eradicated 180 years after the first vaccines and there were many extended outbreaks over theyears and there were many major outbreaks lasting 1, 2, 3, 5 and even close to ten years before it disappeared only to flare back up in the next decade. Covid could be similar. We just don't know.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that this is normality. Pandemics come and go. It is not a new concept. There are people who have probably lived their whole lives in the shadow of a pandemic and wouldn't even recognise our society or what we used to call "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

tbh that's a fair point.

but it doesn't have to be like this and comparing , Europe anyway, to anywhere else in the world and in time isn't entirely relevant. mainly if they tolerated stuff that has no bearing on what I do

As for handling covid, the people who are against restrictions are trying to do exactly that.

It's the dai with assistance from the media and social media luvvies who are preventing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Why do you keep referring to "last year"? Although not perfect, the vaccines have, and continue to, change the landscape. If we didn't have vaccines right now, I have no doubt we would be in lockdown, as would numerous other countries. Vaccines allow us to tolerate a much higher level of circulating virus, transmission, infection, and even hospital admissions.

"Why is it so hard for to accept this is normailty". Ah, maybe, because it's not normal for people to be locked in their houses, restricted to a 5k radius, etc. which were features of the lockdowns. Very abnormal if you consider the behaviour of societies for hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Only in Ireland I guess, A sure your grand approach, we'll legislate our advice 😉😉😉 when we get back from our Dail recess.

Insurance companies quietly watching in the background taking note etc etc 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Yes yes but look over there unvaccinated people, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Do you know for a fact he was ill?

Or was it because he wasn't deemed match fit to start.

How did Novak Djokovic get on after Covid.

How did John Rahm get on after Covid, how was he getting on when he was multiple shots clear and had to pull out after failing a random covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness the Spanish Flu killed about 40-50% of those that were infected, and mainly those in their 20s and 30s... That's something that if SARS-COV-2 became more deadly I genuinely think it might peter out, the fact that if I catch it I could be asymptomatic but pass it to my mother who gets very sick and then pass it to and kill my granny, makes it very very difficult to control

• Advertisement

It's 11.30am Friday 22nd and astonishingly the Guidelines have actually NOT been published YET, just extraordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@facehugger99 wrote:

Stocked full of dozens of single-issue bureaucrats, all pulling in high six figure salaries.

Holohan earns just under €200k. The deputy CMOs earn around €115k. That's not "high six-figure salaries", that's nearly as low as a six-figure number can be.

If you fired all of NPHET and stopped paying them, the Dept of Health would have a whole 0.03% extra (yes a thirty-third of one percent) in its budget.

But sure, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

All so true, so let's get on with living. We can't hide away forever but im beginning to think many people are so mentally destroyed by this whole episode they will be hiding away forever. That will require a massive input into mental health services here to help these people cope and attempt to move on but in the meantime let the rest of us who love living get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Anyone know if, purely for the sake of argument, lets say we doubled or even tripled our ICU capacity overnight, would/could we reopen fully or would it just slow down the journey to hospitals being under severe pressure ?

And yes I know some will say we could reopen fully right now, we probably could, but we haven't. Are we destined for multiple slower and flatter waves until the virus is endemic worldwide ?

Let's not forget NPHET members do not get paid for their work for NPHET, some are employed in the private and educational sector. Obviously some members have HSE or DOH salaried positions.

Screaming match on the Claire Byrne with PBH show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah some of them probably have three houses to run too! I tell you, you should try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I don't know one person that's hiding away.

I know plenty of people that are being careful they don't catch a highly transmissible, and potentially dangerous virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I don’t think the Spanish was very much under control was it? It was devastating and spread like wildfire throughout the world and killed an estimated possible 100 million. It was difficult to control also when you look at the aftermath.

My point was that in the grand scheme of things over the eons pandemics never lasted and life returned to normal after everyone of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Neither do i but reading here you would think there is people locking themselves at home and others hoping that restrictions will never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Our workplace have acted as if the delay of the full return to work isn't happening due to things like this. Back in the office 100% on 26th. Saying "no full return to offices until February" to the newspapers is as useful as saying it to a tree. The vagueness of this "phased return" thing is absolutely silly.

I agree but is it not the case there is no legislation stopping employers requesting employees back into the work place. Guidence is ultimately meanginless without legislation to back it up, this I'm afraid is the same as what's happening with the full reopening of live music and nightclub venues, they essentially will have absolutely no cover if there (heaven forbid) is claims or if they have to close again. I'm just amazed few are raising this serious issue. Public health advice as it stands is extremely vague, normally venues will refer to this if there's an issue, hard to refer to vagueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was listening but must have missed it. Who were the culprits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Sorry, I should have stated that my workplace have stuck with the guidelines up until the revised guidelines communicated on Tuesday. I realise that there is no legislation, but it's just frustrating that our workplace have pretty much pretended that Tuesday didn't happen more than anything and have not addressed that "despite changes, we are ploughing on". The lack of clarity has given room for a lack of communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Its hardly potentially dangerous then, I mean, relative to everything else in life that poses a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This reminds me of the specious argument that people shouldn't be complaining about Ole Solskjaers performance as United manager because the real problem at the club is the owners...

Covid is endemic but that doesn't justify every bit of horseshit rolled out by the NPHET government, bad decisions should not be handwaved away by some catch-all covid excuse.

• Advertisement

People tend to mitigate against all risks, regardless of the size of the risk.

Advertisement