Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

No we don’t.we need people with the sniffles to stop getting tested and for the hse management to actually get up of their collective arses and do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

At least you’re honest you’re absolutely clamouring for a lockdown. Some out there that pretend they don’t while all the while praying that lord Tony will announce level 5 any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭celt262

The number of cases are not the problem though its the defunctional HSE and lack of hospital and ICU beds that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Any examples? I think it's bizarre to think that people are pretending that they don't want lockdown but are praying that there will be one.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Few PUP scrounges out there. As long as their drug dealer is delivering they’d be happy to sit at home and cabbage on Netflix forever. All the while pretending they care about “public health” and “safety”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nah you're grand thanks. You can stay at home and barricade yourself into your room if you want but leave the rest of us alone to get on with things.

Take the words and apply them to a new context. It's simple.

Or tweak it a bit:

"People who surrender their liberty to the government because of covid don't deserve that liberty and will lose it."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, it is called managing a disease, something no government had any experience with and it really doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure out what would happen once a new NPHET projection rolled in. A lot of posters predicted it accurately and one would assume some of the public saw it coming too. Behavioural science has its place, especially when you need to figure out what large population groups are likely to do when faced with a stressful health scenario like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One is inextricably linked to the other though unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I was wondering if anyone would get my sarcasm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Maybe if the ceo of the hse did his job instead of being on the radio it seems every 2nd day talking rubbish we might be better off.but I suppose u can’t be expected to do your job on only €460,000 a yr

In normal times there would be a case but the CEO of the HSE only arrived in April 2019 and less than a year later this started.

That's a good point. I find it strange that doctors and scientists are constantly in the media. In the US, top public health celebrity, Tony Fauci, found the time to write a book and make a film while lecturing people on CNN every night.

Do you think the following is acceptable from scientists: "

A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened ... The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting Evaluation of options for increasing social distancing Page 2 emotional messaging." (25-options-for-increasing-adherence-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk))

That's what SAGE in England recommended the government do.

But Dave Cullen's point is that it's entirely predictable what's going to happen. NPHET recommend harsh restrictions, the government makes them a bit less harsh, and then the public are grateful that they avoided the harsher restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭foxsake

I wholeheartedly agree and perhaps what is more frustrating and upsetting than the actual restrictions is the cheering of the few crumbs thrown at the public (and the business sector) .

rather than an acknowledgement that the government is doing this to you. They have set random arbitrary rules on the advise of "experts" .

Experts, you say? Look at NPHET and tell me if any of them are experts on anything bar public health administration and politics (bar de Gascun & Prof Colm Bergin) - bureaucrats in other words. In a world where the real experts can't agree on jack sh1t we have 2 on this politburo. Like FFS.

It's textbook Stockholm Syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you want to know why we have a €20bn a year health service that can't cope with a normal round of winter flu without buckling, have a look at NPHET.

Stocked full of dozens of single-issue bureaucrats, all pulling in high six figure salaries.

Their primary raison d'etre is to absolve the Government of any responsibility for any decisions made - they can simply say there were following the 'expert advice'.

Of course NPHET can claim they were only ever advising and they can play a lovely little pass the parcel game while we add 10's of billions to our national debt.

When the truth eventually comes out about the number of cases and deaths linked directly to hospital transmissions the whole charade of Covid-theatre that's been played out is going to seem like a sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

I find it hilarious still, that many people here who are annoyed with the restrictions don't comprehend that Covid is an act of nature. All the stats posted about it being 18th months and that is enough or there at 90% people vaccinated don't really matter. WHO are now saying pandemic will drag on until late 2022 minimum. The reality is pandemics/epidemics can go on for years. Decades even. Covid could become like the flu. Causing problems every year. Unfortunately it has some characteristics which differentiate it from the flu and it could be much more difficult to manage.

Lockdowns and shutdowns could be part of our lives for many years to come. I am seriously concerned for the mental health of people who have had enough after 18-24 months. Rude awakening incoming. Covid does not care if you are fed up. There are still many many ways this could play out with some scientists not ruling out that covid-19 could become more deadly. It might also become less deadly. Nobody knows really.

And yet in sensible countries such as Sweden, Norway and Denmark life is back to normal (was never really not normal in Sweden, and to a lesser extent in Norway).

Who cares what WHO says. The head of WHO may face genocide charges: Tedros Adhanom: WHO chief may face genocide charges | World | The Times

Do you trust an organisation like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Not anymore though, that was the whole point of vaccination (especially of the elderly and vulnerable).

We continue to have an unhealthy relationship with the daily case numbers, it's bordering on a fetish at times, especially now when the case to hospitalisation to ICU link has been broken by vaccination. Or at least that's what we've been told and all other countries are basing their continued opening up of society upon.

We were hardly sold a pup were we?!

• Advertisement

even if I agreed with your assertions on pandemic ( i don't) - sure it's a pandemic but it's pretty benign giving the survival rates.

Pandemic is a misleading word in the sense most dont understand the definition.

The idea that we just pause our lives continually for something that may (in your words) be around for years or decades if madness.

Better face up to the fact covid isn't going away and we might as well either get it and/or take the vaccine.

but people will die,

yes people die from all sorts of aliments - nothing is worth sacrificing your life for nor giving up freedom of associations without showing "your papers" to police or private security (as per leos comment yesterday) esp now as we will be 24months into this next feb.

Because the current restrictions will be here till spring for sure.

It's time to move on and accept the risk. It was time ages ago but the 2nd best time to scrap this nonsense is now.

Covid will be a cold long term.

The symptoms of covid are the same as other corona viruses except more serious as it is a novel virus to the immune system pre infection / vaccination. The childhood immune system deals effectively with novel viruses which is why when we reach adulthood the 20% of colds caused by H-Cov variants are rarely serious. They sometimes are though, and in the exact same way as covid.

here is a question,

if a large proportion of the people had the same panic over covid as the government, media and twitter,.

why will the pubs , restaurants and niteclubs be packed this weekend?

you'd be forgiven thinking something else was going on?

Sweden was defacto locked down last December and January and their chief epidemiologist admitted he got it wrong last year already. Case closed.

The UK declared the pandemic over in July and they won't return restrictions. I predict they won't turn to restrictions until Covid forces them to. Look at how it is already escalating there.

Look at whats currently happening in Russia. They refused to lockdown but their hand has been forced. Over 60s are being asked to stay at home for 4 months and they are shutting down next week.

We've seen the hospitals in Belgium, Italy , Wuhan, Iran last year. 

I trust the WHO more than most because they have people experienced and educated in disease modelling things for them. Whatever Tedros did is barely relevant. It's an ad hominem attack and doesn't invalidate the overall prognosis.

We have high vaccination uptake in western Europe but it seems to not be protecting the hospitals as much as we had hoped. It is not over anywhere until it is over everywhere.

Well it doesn't take some self-appointed internet sage to point this out. So where exactly are you going with all of this? It is a fact that some people do not comply with rules in normal times anyway. We had the nonsense of people breathing and coughing on others last year until prison sentences brought it to a halt. Have we done things that badly at times? Sure. Taken accepted rights from people? Probably some of that too but there was also a level of purpose to it and it seemed to mostly work. In time we may take a well needed microscope to NPHET and government actions.

What the likes of this Dave person are great at is pointing out what they "know" are the failings but are very, very short on alternative practical solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

What's actually happening is we're purchasing a little temporary "liberty" for longer term chaos. As we did last year.

That's not liberty at all. It's gross stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

Said something similar to someone yesterday, they were saying oh we'll probably be heading for restrictions again but as I said, nobody outside of government or the media is giving covid a second thought these days, they're all getting on with life.

It absolutely was not locked down. I was in Sweden when it was supposedly locked down and it was wide open. I don't know where that myth comes from. I suspect it's from the media who dislike Sweden because they didn't lock down and like the rest of Europe.

England, not the UK. And England will soon return to restrictions, in my opinion. Plan C is being floated so that people don't think Plan B is too bad. See Dave Cullen's video on how it works.

Ad hominem? He's been accused of genocide. He was also accused of covering up three cholera outbreaks and of being a member of a terrorist organisation. And yet he shamelessly lectures the world and talks of flattening 'the climate curve' and how 'we won't be going back to normal'.

If lockdowns work then why the need to keep going into them?

And yet the elephant in the room is sensible countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark all going back to normal.

So if 100% of the Irish population is vaccinated, but there's a baby in Africa who hasn't been vaccinated then it's not over in Ireland?

Why are you talking about last year when there was no vaccine at the time?

So what's the point in vaccinating the population if even post-vaccination it's going to be long-chaos?

DrFrost's point is well made.

• Advertisement

We have had things relatively well. Many people in many different epochs have had their lives paused for epidemics, wars, famines for much much longer than people have had to deal with Covid. And people in 21st century just cannot handle it. This is the crux of the matter I am getting at. There is no normal. Only constant change. I predict covid will be a major headache for many years to come and shutting down and reopening will be necessary. Nature doesn't care about what any of our hopes and dreams or lifestyles. We adapt to it. It just seems people are really struggling.

Advertisement