Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Daily?? Really??

They did feck off to a weekly thing for a while which was fine....but to return daily??

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I knew NPHET would be back, no way are they letting go that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The government and the media have quite the incestuous relationship here in Ireland. Many former senior reporters are now "advisors" in government. George Lee was a politician and now back in the RTE cabal as a handy mouthpiece for government, just repeating what he's told and rarely questioning any of it.

I gree that it should never be an "Us v Them" situation but we often find government ministers will take a position opposite to what the general public want and it is often guided by the permanent government.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm sure you're going to back up this very limited reflection with some actual evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

If the cases are still rising in two or three weeks time do we still blame the unvaccinated even if they've been banned from the most likely areas of transmission (excluding hospitals and care homes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Again, I generally agree, but I don't think with George that he is looking after his old political friends - remember how his political career ended - more that he wouldn't be, ahem, the most intellectually rigorous in his assessment of info he receives, to be polite about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh fully agree. There's more than a bit of the Ron Burgundy about George.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's just such a pity that these kind of issues can't be teased out and discussed in the public discourse. Unfortunately anyone with any reservations about the motive(s) (profit) of the vaccine manufacturers are being shouted down and accused of being anti-vax morons.

There are very worrying developments currently taking place in our democracy and the increasing polarisation of society and media allows any reasoned dissent to be dismissed as propagated by uninformed conspiracy nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm more worried about the much smaller swathes of internet posters spreading lies on social media to further their own agenda of attempting to control a population. At least the govt, media and celeb experts have standards they need to maintain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no doubt that the blame will shift to the pubs who will be accused of not checking the covid certs and letting unvaccinated in to spread the virus. Lots of words will be written about those nasty pubs ruining christmas for everybody else.

The emergency powers will be extended again, in my opinion.

The emergency declared in the aftermath of 9/11 has yet to be declared over. Every year since 2001 the US President has extended the emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

my point is if it isn't been removed now, it NEVER will .... we will never get to 0 covid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

In all this sh1tshow, nobody has even questioned why none of the therapies available, to prevent and cure the viral infection, have been implemented and made available to the general public . It's either vaccinate, and hope for the best, or nothing.

All the toing and froing on here when to my mind it should perfectly clear to everyone at this stage that:-

1. The unvaccinated do, disproportionately, worsen the country's case load, and hospitalisation numbers, from Covid. So yes they are a problem and the country would be in a better position if they would get vaccinated (where they can, i.e. no medical reason not to); and
    2. Equally, and possibly more problematic, is that the vaccines don't really stop spread like we hoped they might. They stop a huge amount of death and serious illness so are clearly a great success, but the hope that they would help to kill off the virus by stopping spread does look a little forlorn now.

I suspect 95% of us would broadly agree with these two points. So can we now move on from them?

Personally I'm a bit down today about where this is going but am coming around to adopting a longer term view. I think mitigation measures to get us through this winter make sense given our high numbers now and the capacity constraints in our health system, but come next winter we just have to accept it is endemic, ditch mitigation measures (save people with respiratory illness symptoms should wear face masks to stop spread and should be encouraged to stay home as far as possible) and work over the next 12 months on improving our health service, better vaccines and better treatments.

• Advertisement

The legislation for the restrictions have to be renewed on the 9th November.

The legislation for the passports has to be renewed on 9th January.

Reports yesterday was that all restrictions may have to be kept until February.

This will require extensions of all legislation on 9th November and 9th January.

They are going nowhere for the immediate future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Was the reason this was voted in favour of in the first place, was on the condition that it could only be extended once which it was up to Jan 9th (or there abouts) I remember watching the debates on the day of the vote, opposition agreed to vote it in but only if they were guaranteed only one extension would happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jasus, didn't know that. What do those powers entail? Presumably they don't have much of an impact on the daily lives of the public? As opposed to our restrictions, which definitely do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is there another review date or would NPHET just randomly send the Government a letter recommending this and that

No doubt the media will help NPHET

There is work ongoing on repurposing of drugs but it was rightly acknowledged early on that vaccines were more urgent. A number of therapeutics have come about during this and there's a lot of work going on on antivirals. Merck already have one and Pfizer and others will follow. There is also research on a variety of different nasal sprays as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Think it’s fairly obvious at this stage the plan is to introduce some form of soft lockdown over the winter.

You think they'll let a small thing like democracy get in their way? Anyway, even if that is a hindrance they'll just pass new legislation.

Look at the robust debate that took place over in England on the extension of the Coronavirus Act: https://mobile.twitter.com/AnonCitizenUK/status/1450516987604578305

History is replete with acts and laws that were never repealed, or weren't repealed for years.

I'm guessing it's mainly to do with security measures at airports, but I suspect it gives the government powers they would no longer have if they declared the emergency to be over. I'll have to look into it.

NPHET will have us back in lockdown by mid November of that I'm sure as cases surge and the hospitals cant cope.

Be packaged as a quick sharp circuit breaker to save Xmas etc.. and the plebs will get on board. Its all so predictable

well some ponder that perhaps what was once a disease of the elderly is being made something worse with our tampering of all manner of vaccines. Africa's number might actually be the true real word numbers as hey have no real way to be fudging and framing the data.

I read a good piece in the Washington post about how the US big wigs nicknamed the race for vaccines MP2...or "Manhattan project 2".

They were looking to approve vaccines without phase 3 trials for "those who badly need them".

Africa could not afford to pay for HIV medicine despite being hardest hit, 2-3 million people (mostly kids) die every year in Africa from Malaria and yet you don't see a race to help them. The Pharma industry have form doing this, they cater for 10% of the worlds health burden simply because that's the western world and there's no money in helping Africa.

I'm blown away by all t his casual talk about boosters, madness really.We need to concentrate on Vaccine PLUS, which is vaccines (already done now) and then leave people to the hand hygiene and masks in certain settings etc. Comparing us to countries like Australia and new zealand (claire Byrne show this week) so as to paint an "art we lucky" juxtaposition is ridiculous

and on the Vaccines, it's a fact that Pharma clinical trials are found to have more positive results about 27% of the time. Look up clinical trials in For profit Vs not for profit, there's books written on this subject.

I say this as the high efficacy claims seem to be falling very short of what was sold to the EMA and NIAC by extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep

NPHET should be disbanded for reasons of sanity to the Irish people. Going to be constant doom and gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They don't have a plan, they are rabbits in the headlights.

I do fully expect a nauseating somber press conference from the chuckle brothers sometime in December where they tell us that some hard decisions have to be made on the back of NPHET concern over rising cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Before I would have accused you of a fearmonger, but given what has transpired over the last two weeks, it could actually be plausible. However, I don't think it will happen because, as docile as we are, I just don't believe that going backwards (particularly into lockdown) will be accepted by the public at all. I actually think the narrative in the media is even shifting towards the mismanagement of the health system - so putting the blame/pressure on the HSE, not Joe Public. Most people know this, they have done their part by complying with two lockdowns and getting vaccinated. I just don't see the general public, hell even the media, willingly accept another lockdown - regardless of circumstances. There are other policies such as bringing in the private hospitals to cope with the surge if needed.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but I think some on here are too quick to jump to lockdown theories. A lot of posters on here have been proved right, in that we did not relax all restrictions yesterday/Friday but, ultimately, we still did actually relax some - and that is progress. But some posters are still utterly convinced of a lockdown, even amidst further reopening of society. I can only imagine what would be said if we had paused or reintroduced restrictions yesterday. The vaccines are not as good as expected/hoped, but they are still extremely good nevertheless. This is not 2020 anymore, just because lockdowns have been used in the past does not mean they are normalised. In my opinion anyway. And, look, I have been proved wrong on here before. I'm an optimist at heart, and believed we would be fully open (apart from masks) by now. But, it would take a very very pessimistic and, frankly, unforeseen turn of events for a lockdown. No doubt the media will pick up on every unambiguous quote, throwaway comment, etc. to amplify the uncertainty and fear and hysteria, but despite all the doom and gloom, we are in a better place than earlier this year.

Do you have a source for this or is it an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

They do have a plan, they just have it back to front. Not open at the best time but open at the worst.MM called Boris " reckless " by opening up when things were going up and now he does the exact same thing, apart from it being heading into Summer instead of Winter.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

This sounds good though, as in there is a chance of normal gigs and nightclubs or what am I missing?

Leo vardkar needed his own AG to trawl through and interpret the rules so he could get off the hook. Now I doubt joe publican or Johnny nightlife have the AG on speed dial. I say this because these rules are obfuscated to maybe even ramp up the numbers for an xmas lockdown.

Also Varadkar said we are stuck with passes for a few months, don't they run out at Januarys end and therefore need new laws to be passed again?

the 22nd was mouthed to take the heat of merriongate, the zappone fiasco, the rotunda and RTE controversy, the hospitals not allowing partners in, the church stating that they would open for mass regardless. And so on..

Its was a deflection tactic to get everyone excited and take their eye off the current **** ups.

two

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

I am talking about already available therapies used successfully by doctors all around the world. These therapies are not searchable in google, and if they are, they are classified as snake oil

It's my opinion. That's what a discussion forum is about, opinions. Do I want it to happen if course not but I wouldn't rule it out at all that's how poorly run our health service is.

Does one of these begin with an I? Level playing field for all of them; do a proper clinical trial, show that they actually work for COVID and you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah, at least their high number of infections are not translating to the number of deaths that they had in previous waves and hopefully won`t, so it looks as if the vaccines are playing a part in that. Be interesting to see their data on infections and deaths in relation to those vaccinated and those not.

Still a high number of deaths at 903 for the past week, (the equivalent of 70 here), especially with their 28 day reporting rule, so probably a bit higher than that 903 figure. Their weekly deaths two months ago were 686 and have been rising since so I can see why their health service is showing concern. It does not look as if Delta has any intentions of fuc#ing off anytime soon unfortunately.

I wouldn't rule anything out either but hopefully the boosters prove you wrong and it doesn't happen. I'm thinking if the Over-60s are getting them from this week and it takes 3 weeks to get the majority of them then I'd expect the numbers to start falling in about 5 weeks time so unlikely to need a lockdown then... Only an opinion as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

It does appear to be the case when you put it in the context of similar sized populations in Europe

France 6K cases - 50 deaths

Germany 10.5K - 76

And both have far higher numbers in hospitals and ICU's, yet they are 3-4 months behind with the Delta wave.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

All our birthdays at once- in the same week Succession season 3 returns, the new season of NPHET is announced!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

So, what other possibly detrimental interventions that may or may not work should we be trying?

We've been continually told that transmission rates are low in schools because transmission among children isn't at the same rate as adults, yet we are now moving inexonerably towards vaccinating our entire child population.

This seems an unacceptable risk to be taking for at best minor impact upon overall transmission rates. When are we going to start asking the right questions?

Not sure what your asking me here to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There must have been a weekend excursion to Waterford for the unvaccinated, local GP struggling on the news at 1, to explain a 99% vaccination rate in waterford, the highest in Ireland along with the highest incidence rate in Ireland 🤔

He did suggest amongst other possibilities Vacinne protection waning and a roll out boosters may be required.

THE NPHET briefing later will be fascinating albeit perhaps predictable.

Every expert, government politician out today with only one explanation for increased cases, we can guess what that is 🙄 infuriating nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My problem is how are staff in pubs and restaurants supposed to enforce masks and table service when the people they are serving were on a packed dancefloor the night before legally with no mask.

Already you have people acting the maggot with the rules in pub B and C just cause pub A let them off with it.

It's pretty disappointing they didn't loosen pub restrictions as half the pubs have given up anyway and it's just the compliant ones suffer

• Advertisement

He did mention he has seen one or two unvaccinated patients over the last few days.

Other than that they brushed past the question very quickly.

Something is going on in the south east and nobody knows how to explain it.

That's some grade a nonsense.

UK is in a better position now because even though they are in a worse position, the difference is not as big as a year ago?

Yeah I see what you mean.

I presumed it was, let the pubs continue operating as is.. keeps money coming in for them and Doesn't increase risk here too much with increased hours.

A nightclub wouldn't make sense working like that but we want to start some money coming in. So diff rules needed. Same with gigs in standing venues im hoping but no word yet from venues about the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is there any confirmed source saying we're looking at a reintroduction of restrictions? Or is it just people predicting it here?

Maybe I missed something, but aren't we currently just looking at a slower lifting of restrictions than we had previously thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very true, one or two as part of many, many more cases being confirmed.🤔, its not just the south east either 🤔

It's fascinating that all we heard for the past 9 months were the latest vaccination milestones albeit figures all over the place depending on how a person viewed them, what I wonder will be the excuses when we reach 94,95,96 % etc etc etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement