Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jasus, didn't know that. What do those powers entail? Presumably they don't have much of an impact on the daily lives of the public? As opposed to our restrictions, which definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is there another review date or would NPHET just randomly send the Government a letter recommending this and that

No doubt the media will help NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is work ongoing on repurposing of drugs but it was rightly acknowledged early on that vaccines were more urgent. A number of therapeutics have come about during this and there's a lot of work going on on antivirals. Merck already have one and Pfizer and others will follow. There is also research on a variety of different nasal sprays as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Think it’s fairly obvious at this stage the plan is to introduce some form of soft lockdown over the winter.

You think they'll let a small thing like democracy get in their way? Anyway, even if that is a hindrance they'll just pass new legislation.

Look at the robust debate that took place over in England on the extension of the Coronavirus Act: https://mobile.twitter.com/AnonCitizenUK/status/1450516987604578305

• Advertisement

History is replete with acts and laws that were never repealed, or weren't repealed for years.

I'm guessing it's mainly to do with security measures at airports, but I suspect it gives the government powers they would no longer have if they declared the emergency to be over. I'll have to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

NPHET will have us back in lockdown by mid November of that I'm sure as cases surge and the hospitals cant cope.

Be packaged as a quick sharp circuit breaker to save Xmas etc.. and the plebs will get on board. Its all so predictable

well some ponder that perhaps what was once a disease of the elderly is being made something worse with our tampering of all manner of vaccines. Africa's number might actually be the true real word numbers as hey have no real way to be fudging and framing the data.

I read a good piece in the Washington post about how the US big wigs nicknamed the race for vaccines MP2...or "Manhattan project 2".

They were looking to approve vaccines without phase 3 trials for "those who badly need them".

Africa could not afford to pay for HIV medicine despite being hardest hit, 2-3 million people (mostly kids) die every year in Africa from Malaria and yet you don't see a race to help them. The Pharma industry have form doing this, they cater for 10% of the worlds health burden simply because that's the western world and there's no money in helping Africa.

I'm blown away by all t his casual talk about boosters, madness really.We need to concentrate on Vaccine PLUS, which is vaccines (already done now) and then leave people to the hand hygiene and masks in certain settings etc. Comparing us to countries like Australia and new zealand (claire Byrne show this week) so as to paint an "art we lucky" juxtaposition is ridiculous

and on the Vaccines, it's a fact that Pharma clinical trials are found to have more positive results about 27% of the time. Look up clinical trials in For profit Vs not for profit, there's books written on this subject.

I say this as the high efficacy claims seem to be falling very short of what was sold to the EMA and NIAC by extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep

NPHET should be disbanded for reasons of sanity to the Irish people. Going to be constant doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,282 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They don't have a plan, they are rabbits in the headlights.

I do fully expect a nauseating somber press conference from the chuckle brothers sometime in December where they tell us that some hard decisions have to be made on the back of NPHET concern over rising cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Before I would have accused you of a fearmonger, but given what has transpired over the last two weeks, it could actually be plausible. However, I don't think it will happen because, as docile as we are, I just don't believe that going backwards (particularly into lockdown) will be accepted by the public at all. I actually think the narrative in the media is even shifting towards the mismanagement of the health system - so putting the blame/pressure on the HSE, not Joe Public. Most people know this, they have done their part by complying with two lockdowns and getting vaccinated. I just don't see the general public, hell even the media, willingly accept another lockdown - regardless of circumstances. There are other policies such as bringing in the private hospitals to cope with the surge if needed.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but I think some on here are too quick to jump to lockdown theories. A lot of posters on here have been proved right, in that we did not relax all restrictions yesterday/Friday but, ultimately, we still did actually relax some - and that is progress. But some posters are still utterly convinced of a lockdown, even amidst further reopening of society. I can only imagine what would be said if we had paused or reintroduced restrictions yesterday. The vaccines are not as good as expected/hoped, but they are still extremely good nevertheless. This is not 2020 anymore, just because lockdowns have been used in the past does not mean they are normalised. In my opinion anyway. And, look, I have been proved wrong on here before. I'm an optimist at heart, and believed we would be fully open (apart from masks) by now. But, it would take a very very pessimistic and, frankly, unforeseen turn of events for a lockdown. No doubt the media will pick up on every unambiguous quote, throwaway comment, etc. to amplify the uncertainty and fear and hysteria, but despite all the doom and gloom, we are in a better place than earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Do you have a source for this or is it an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭brickster69

They do have a plan, they just have it back to front. Not open at the best time but open at the worst.MM called Boris " reckless " by opening up when things were going up and now he does the exact same thing, apart from it being heading into Summer instead of Winter.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

This sounds good though, as in there is a chance of normal gigs and nightclubs or what am I missing?

Leo vardkar needed his own AG to trawl through and interpret the rules so he could get off the hook. Now I doubt joe publican or Johnny nightlife have the AG on speed dial. I say this because these rules are obfuscated to maybe even ramp up the numbers for an xmas lockdown.

Also Varadkar said we are stuck with passes for a few months, don't they run out at Januarys end and therefore need new laws to be passed again?

the 22nd was mouthed to take the heat of merriongate, the zappone fiasco, the rotunda and RTE controversy, the hospitals not allowing partners in, the church stating that they would open for mass regardless. And so on..

Its was a deflection tactic to get everyone excited and take their eye off the current **** ups.

two

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I am talking about already available therapies used successfully by doctors all around the world. These therapies are not searchable in google, and if they are, they are classified as snake oil

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

It's my opinion. That's what a discussion forum is about, opinions. Do I want it to happen if course not but I wouldn't rule it out at all that's how poorly run our health service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does one of these begin with an I? Level playing field for all of them; do a proper clinical trial, show that they actually work for COVID and you're away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah, at least their high number of infections are not translating to the number of deaths that they had in previous waves and hopefully won`t, so it looks as if the vaccines are playing a part in that. Be interesting to see their data on infections and deaths in relation to those vaccinated and those not.

Still a high number of deaths at 903 for the past week, (the equivalent of 70 here), especially with their 28 day reporting rule, so probably a bit higher than that 903 figure. Their weekly deaths two months ago were 686 and have been rising since so I can see why their health service is showing concern. It does not look as if Delta has any intentions of fuc#ing off anytime soon unfortunately.

I wouldn't rule anything out either but hopefully the boosters prove you wrong and it doesn't happen. I'm thinking if the Over-60s are getting them from this week and it takes 3 weeks to get the majority of them then I'd expect the numbers to start falling in about 5 weeks time so unlikely to need a lockdown then... Only an opinion as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭brickster69

It does appear to be the case when you put it in the context of similar sized populations in Europe

France 6K cases - 50 deaths

Germany 10.5K - 76

And both have far higher numbers in hospitals and ICU's, yet they are 3-4 months behind with the Delta wave.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

All our birthdays at once- in the same week Succession season 3 returns, the new season of NPHET is announced!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

So, what other possibly detrimental interventions that may or may not work should we be trying?

We've been continually told that transmission rates are low in schools because transmission among children isn't at the same rate as adults, yet we are now moving inexonerably towards vaccinating our entire child population.

This seems an unacceptable risk to be taking for at best minor impact upon overall transmission rates. When are we going to start asking the right questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Not sure what your asking me here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There must have been a weekend excursion to Waterford for the unvaccinated, local GP struggling on the news at 1, to explain a 99% vaccination rate in waterford, the highest in Ireland along with the highest incidence rate in Ireland 🤔

He did suggest amongst other possibilities Vacinne protection waning and a roll out boosters may be required.

THE NPHET briefing later will be fascinating albeit perhaps predictable.

Every expert, government politician out today with only one explanation for increased cases, we can guess what that is 🙄 infuriating nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My problem is how are staff in pubs and restaurants supposed to enforce masks and table service when the people they are serving were on a packed dancefloor the night before legally with no mask.

Already you have people acting the maggot with the rules in pub B and C just cause pub A let them off with it.

It's pretty disappointing they didn't loosen pub restrictions as half the pubs have given up anyway and it's just the compliant ones suffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bloopy

He did mention he has seen one or two unvaccinated patients over the last few days.

Other than that they brushed past the question very quickly.

Something is going on in the south east and nobody knows how to explain it.

Advertisement