Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes it's fair to say the goalposts moved on this

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Didnt even scan up the documents on a few recent ryanair flights, had them on my phone for inspection, was never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

This is the most vaccinated this population will ever be against covid, if restrictions are not stopping now it could be many, many years before thwy do.

What is been leaked as the new resteictions from friday are liveable, fair from ideal and nothing like 2019 but like you wouldnt want to just give up completely like other times over the last year. So 'liveable' is enough for ppl we might not get too much complaints when it all settles down(prob until more measures are inteoduced at xmas). I personally hope ppl see 92% as a more than acceptable amount to let lifr resume for forever wants it and protests begin after a while but its an unlikely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If I wasn't vaccinated now I'd not bother at all until it was clear that being vaccinated gives you full freedom to no longer adhere to any restrictions. Seriously, at this point why would you bother when you see all the hoops vaccinated people have to jump through to do anything, with the mask being the biggest issue. You'd be better off waiting to see when the government will relinquish their heavy handed "emergency" powers.

Having been out a lot the last 2 months, I read online in this forum and in the news an alternate reality to what I have experienced, covid is essentially no longer a concern unless you are online. To give two examples, I've been to more pubs that don't check a covid cert than those that do, there are covid yellow posters around the office but no one now seems to bother with masks after a few people didn't wear them the first few weeks back.

So I wonder are people just secretly waiting for some "all clear" message, not necessarily from the government, that actually the sky won't fall in by just ignoring the government's anti-science, ignorant restrictions at this stage (eg just seeing people slowly but surely not bothering to wear a mask on public transport would snowball in my opinion pretty quickly - for me a couple of times I've been seated around teenagers with no masks on the train and I tend to just take mine off when that happens as it feels like such a pointless measure in that context, like no longer using plastic straws in a takeaway drink to save the oceans, but still eating fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I've never heard of anyone in hospital because of covid

The country is being run like a police state over something fairly minor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Personal Responsibility

How great would it be if there was no more public announcements of daily covid numbers etc but no way will it be possible with all these new celebrity medical experts

NPHET should be disbanded or stripped back to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

As a reminder, even before vaccines covid was totally negligible as an illness for under 40s. The data on HSPC shows this truly is just an older person's disease and even at that only where the older person has chronic underlying illnesses. The whole thing has been a lesson in how easy it is for the capital "S" State to switch into an authoritarian mode, even in a supposed democratic society. Lessons need to be learned to make sure the government cannot wield such power on a whim again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I know one Dublin hospital that is having issues coping with the numbers of covid patients.

I'm in favour of ending restrictions ASAP, just saying for balance there are issues in at least one hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Announcing the numbers on national TV and radio should be banned. All it does is frighten the life out of the elderly. We've as many vaccinated now as we ever will. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not just that it's the media and political correctness gone mad

• Advertisement

You asked where did they blame the unvaccinated, and I gave 2 links where Leo blamed the unvaccinated for both ICU numbers and restrictions remaining.

I wasn't chiming in on any of your other points.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭marilynrr

The airports at Christmas!

That was allowed last year and will be allowed this year too.

In fact even when our figures in January were the HIGHEST IN THE WORLD they still let people fly in, and no one was vaccinated here at the time.

So if they can do that then I don't think we should worry too much about nightclubs!

Clear evidence that it’s a widespread opinion

UK are missing lots of deaths with their definition. A not insignificant portion of those who die from Covid do so more than 28 days after testing positive

Censorship of information that doesn’t suit. That way rather than deal with things we can pretend they aren’t real and put forward alternative facts. Sound proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've never heard of it so it isn't happening? Police state? It's been ages since someone posted that in these threads. I'd hate for you to live in an actual police state.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've never heard of anyone with malaria, ebola or aids. Surely they're not a big deal either then?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Would that not be like putting your fingers in your ears, going "La, la, la, la, this isn't happening"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think they are blaming the unvaccinated, the media are stirring that particular frenzied pot but there is a misguided assumption that by highlighting the proportion of unvaccinated cases people will suddenly change their minds. Apart from maybe scooping up a tiny trickle of stragglers that programme should be looking at the 70,000 who got one shot to see how many of those might be able or who might be persuaded to complete their shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's been much discussion about wether daily numbers should be published or not, personally I believe they should and primarily because we would have either NO information or BS spin from HSE top brass.

I know it annoys and pleases people in equal measure releasing daily stats but if there's one thing I've become cynical about throughout this pandemic is the complete Shyte and narrative of convenience that the HSE top brass are so expert at, especially Paul Reid who's an expert on spin you've only got to observe his and others at the HSE top tables demeanour when faced with even the slightest critism.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

More farce, president of the RAI on Morning Ireland, he owns a hotel, Bar in louth, Table numbers have increased to 10 from 6 apparently, this won't help his Christmas trade and yet, he's permitted to take coach tour's, in essence and he said it, people could over the Christmas say they are part of a coach tour 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Might be a bit premature to be congratulating Johnson on his covid strategy......

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Without being rude how many of those people's time was up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So their Plan B is to introduce masks in some settings? Hardly a devasting blow to a society which is fully open - and has been so for months. Compared to our reopening which has been strung along for months now, and will be so well into next year, with much more restrictive measures.

And another thing, at least they actually have plans over there.

This is one of many alarming reports coming out of the UK, Seems our own government taking Boris's nothing to see here approach. Yesterday's case numbers the highest in a very long time and deaths 233 .

The UK has one slight advantage, its called the NHS albeit even the NHS under serious pressure.

Always fascinated me , using the UK as an outlier on how to deal with and manage a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Get over yourself. You're not the only one that did those things. And as a fully tax paying member of society. There is no such this as a free house. And everybody pays taxes, just not income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Even if they implement those measures they'll still be far, far more open than us, as they have been for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭foxsake

I'm curious how you know this? That hospitals are struggling with covid?

Are they in for covid or something else and tested positive cos the latter is how they count covid in hospital .

the numbers are wrong because they count them wrong. This was confirmed at the dail committee .

In any case, find me a winter where the hospitals didn't struggle ? every winter this happens.

It's a sham. the government never had the appetite to open up and now suddenly in the last week have a scapegoat the 10% evil doers.

and of course, miraculously nearly every media personality sings from the same hymn sheet,

money does wonderful things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

It’s a comedy and holding onto power, shame at this stage

how come there are way more cases with 90% vaccinated than there had been with none vaccinated is beyond me

Advertisement