Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AFAIK, Lynch never touched a cut, post the theatrical release; there's a longer cut by "Alan Smithee" cos someone else assembled it without Lynch's knowledge or credit.

That Smithee is a genius. How can a guy make such horrid films but keep getting jobs. For decades!!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ouch.. so.. now you know the story.. but got introduced to it from .. that version.

Be cool to see your reaction to the new film. I remember watching the film after the TV Series and Books and not thinking much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

REALLY looking forward to this, hopefully it manages to walk that line to satisfy the existing fans, stay true to the source material, draw in new fans AND make money at the box office. Hell of a challenge, but I'll most definitely be there front row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Someone at HBO Max has had a very bad day at work and this is now available in 1080p (and some reports of 4K) from the usual places. Not a hope Im not seeing this in the cinema first though...

Christ.

Nope, this is a cinema film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

C

Hope that doesn’t kill the sequal.. and possible quadrilogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Definitely a cinema film. Especially given the faint hope it might still be Irelands first big post restrictions blockbuster.

It always seemed stupid to show it across the world for over a month before English language countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It really does feel like Murphys Law every step of the way for this film, its infuriating. I never donate to crowdfunding but if he ever asks for donations Ill chip in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I watched the 1080p copy last night.

I regret it completely, this deserves the biggest screen possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw the preview last night. I haven't read the book, and I only saw the original film when I was a kid. I really liked this film. I knew the source material is tricky to adapt with it's detail of the world, the various families and lore, so I worried it could be a film where I could get lost easily, but Denis does a terrific job in easing you in. The visuals are fantastic, and I regret not seeing it in IMAX.

It did feel longer than No Time to Die, but I think that is because it doesn't have a typical three act structure given it is just half the story. There was a point where I just didn't know where it was going to end. This is in contrast to LOTR trilogy for example which all have their own structures, and natural story flow while still being part of the overall larger picture.

Given the trailer doesn't advertise it as Part 1 I wonder how many people will be sitting in the theater and think "Hold on, I didn't sign up for this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its poor quality for supposedly 1080p, looked more like 720p to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know nothing about the story or the books. Is there any kinda closure on this. I know it's obviously Part 1. But I hate films that have endings that are just up in the air. And have to wait an eternity for a Part 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'll spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know anything, but this isn't a spoiler at the same time.

It doesn't end with a cliffhanger, but it sets the characters up on a path that you're intrigued to follow. But it's very much a 'middle of act 2' kind of point in a story, rather than it's own act 3 finish. Though the story has very much yet to be completed, you will be satisfied in where it leaves you as a viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I’m waiting till Friday to get a proper 1080 download and will accompany the screening with some alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Same tbh! I have already got a booking for the opening night with my son and a week later with a buddy.

There may well be another cinema trip too before I'd even consider watching via Kodi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sound will watch it so. Sound like it isn't one to watch on laptop. Will hook laptop up to the TV next week, when kids are on midterm and off down the country. Sound on full belt and some nice cool beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

My 65inch oled disagrees.

The blacks in this movie would look amazing on my tv in 4k

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe more to the point, we should attend a cinema to give the film our financial support, so Hollywood realise there truly is an appetite for adult skewed and toned blockbuster entertainment. That it doesn't all need to be 4 Quadrant, quippy brain mush. I'm not going to act holier than thou when it comes to the High Seas (cos that way lies hypocrisy), but the last thing Dune needs is piracy adding to any potential for box office failure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve got an expensive OLED TV which makes almost every film look great, especially those mastered correctly.

I’d still opt for the cinema to watch a film I was looking forward to every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ditto.

I have an LG OLED as my main TV with a very nice surround set up and a 1080p projector in the mancave, both of them calibrated as close to ISF as a layman with a Spyder can get them 😉 with an excellent soundbar and a very comfy couch in front of both.

Great and all as they are, there is still the draw of the cinema especially for an Event movie! Some movies not only deserve the cinema experience, they demand it IMO.

Both of my screens are good. I have a fantastic Yamaha surround unit. Stupidly comfortable couch.

Still watching this in the cinema. I sail the high seas as much as the next peg leg parrot toting "Me-Hearty" spouting lad but some films deserve the cinema.

And this film really needs support to show that Sci-Fi can be aimed at adults without going JJ Abhrams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a real shame that there is no proper Imax screen in Ireland.

Its films like this that Imax was made for, it makes normal cinemas look thoroughly inadequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I have a great tv too but nothing beats the cinema hands down

Too many distractions at home and much easier to take out your phone etc I saw this at home last night and enjoyed it but I'm 100% going to the cinema to see it some of the set pieces deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I dunno I used find the IMAX in Waterloo too big. I really struggle to see what's happening in big set piece shots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMAX is good and all, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all either. Any cinema that puts even a modest amount of care into their projection and sound systems is a good place to watch a movie.

I don't think digital IMAX is anywhere near as fetching as traditional 70mm IMAX anyway (this is digital), and I often find the alternating aspect ratio distracting when it's done just for the sake of spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'll wait for the 4k this Friday. Muha.

Advertisement