Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

The difference is that Christianity is mostly in decline, whereas Islam is in ascendance.

The other difference is that when you look at Islamic nations, most of them are turning to more traditional, often hardline attitudes towards the practicing of their faith, and how it interacts with peoples private, and public lives. You don't see that in Christian nations, where there is a strong movement towards secularism.

Islam can't really be compared to modern Christianity. It's miles apart. Yes, there are Christians who take their faith very seriously, and there are those who don't. Just as there are Muslims who do likewise. However (if you want to make the comparison), consider the number of Islamic nations with strong religious laws/rules that are intertwined with State law, compared with Christian nations where such laws are typically being removed, or aren't being enforced (although Africa remains somewhat more strict with its religious laws for both religions).

The world christian population is around 1.7 billion people, but the scope for non-practicing, or lukewarm worship is far greater while retaining the status of being a Christian. The world Muslim population is around 1.9 billion people, and it has a pretty recognisable reputation for being far more forceful (peer/community/familial pressure) towards how it's practiced (or simply that Muslims have remained more devout and less likely to stray). I'd say that Islam is where Christianity was in Ireland in the 50s and 60s.. and little chance of it losing it's grip on it's followers.

Um, I'd say that religion played a large part in the US invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc along with many of their military/diplomatic choices. Remember the invasion of Iraq with priests being deployed along with the military units? (beyond the normal commitments, but rather as part of Bush Jnr's agenda) Religion plays a major role within the mindset of many Americans, especially for those in the military, and there's a lot of lobbies in US politics with deep pockets, and fanatical religious viewpoints.

I'm not a big believer in Christianity as being a religion for peace. I don't think Islam is either. They've both been used to justify a wide range of abuses... and frankly the world would be a much better place if we could remove it entirely from peoples consciousnesses. (I was raised in a devout Christian family, and spent time studying in a seminary to be a priest, before I saw the light). Faith is a good thing.. formal religion is most definitely not. It's made some positive influences over time, but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As I was reading your post I was thinking alright of the example of the United States, which is comparable in terms of both it’s population and size to the Middle Eastern countries. It portrays itself as a secular culture, but in reality the influence of Christianity is apparent. I was also thinking of the US because it’s the only Western society I can think of which practices male circumcision outside of any religious adherence. It’s embedded in American society in spite of them being a majority of European Christian settlers.

The reason I think that Islam has the reputation it has among Western society is because it’s foreign to us. They undoubtedly have the same views of Christianity and could probably point fingers, I’m sure they do. It’s often that fundamentalist groups will point to what they call the influence of Western liberalism and how they don’t want it in their culture. China, a population of 1 billion people, their Government are having the same issue with blaming Western culture for the influence of popular culture on Chinese society. India, another continent of 1 billion people of all different cultures, still retains a sort of a syncretic mix of British and Indian values to the point where they’re quite similar in some ways to Irish society the way we’ve retained a lot of our cultural values and standards, mixed with influences of all sorts from Britain, the European continent and the US consumerism culture (we recently nearly went as far as having a Thanksgiving public holiday!)

I think Muslims are about as devout as Christians really with the strength of their faith proportionate to their social status. Higher status in society are less likely to be as devout as lower status in society, they’re also more likely to be better educated and have a better standard of living than the vast majority of Muslims who are dependent upon agriculture as we were in like you’re suggesting the 50s and 60s in Ireland, like they’re very much still dependent upon in developing countries in Africa, where there too there is an obvious wealth gap between the vast majority who are poorly educated and the minority who are affluent and well educated. You could draw a similar sort of map between the urban and rural divide and their relationship to religious adherence and either conservative or liberal values in the same way as you could do in Ireland.

Personally, if I had the means to do it I’d kill two birds with the one stone by crop dusting the poppy fields in Afghanistan with kleen prep, it might lead to a decline in production, and it would have the double effect of reducing the popularity of the drugs produced from it in the West. It’s a bit extreme though, but it does often make me think that we portray Middle Eastern societies as backwards and a threat to our way of life, yet if we actually did cut all ties with them and everyone had to stick to our own countries, would we actually have the way of life we appear to take for granted in the West?

I just couldn’t see us agreeing to stick to our own countries, and i think by that same token it’s unrealistic and unreasonable to expect that multiculturalism wouldn’t operate in a reciprocal fashion. Seems particularly egregious if we were always on the take and said they were to stay where they are, we don’t want them, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Russia in the years following the dismantlement of the soviet union has taken on another mantle, that of christian values. Much like the US; its leaders use the iconography of religious tradition to legitimize their aggressions. They usually put religion in their back pockets when dealing with issues other than domestic problems or foreign wars, but don’t shy away from using it when something blows up on their account or that of their many adversaries.

• Advertisement

God. There's no requirement on needing to follow a religion in order to believe in God. A formal religion is there to control its followers, whether that's through the stories told in the manuscripts, or the rules made up by the clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s embedded in American society in spite of them being a majority of European Christian settlers.

I honestly know very little about this, although I have known quite a few Americans talking about the powerful influence that Jews have in the US, so I could see there being something associated there. It's hard to tell sometimes with the US where the driving forces come from when it comes to policy, considering the range of lobbies, and the influence of the corporations.

The reason I think that Islam has the reputation it has among Western society is because it’s foreign to us. 

I suspect its more to do with the various conflicts between Christian Europe and the Islamic East, reinforced by the stark differences between what Western nations perceive as "civilised" behavior and what Islamic nations often engage in. Still, it's worth considering that the reputation Islam has is shared with Asian peoples. India and central Asia have experienced many Islamic invasions, and have their own biases against what's perceived as Islamic aggression.

I think Muslims are about as devout as Christians really with the strength of their faith proportionate to their social status. <<>>You could draw a similar sort of map between the urban and rural divide and their relationship to religious adherence and either conservative or liberal values in the same way as you could do in Ireland.

I agree in part, although I do think there are some real differences depending on where you are. I spent some time travelling through the M.East, including Iran, and I would say that those in the cities often mirror the feverish adherence that the rural people do. Now, you might consider Iran to be some extreme end of Islamic nations, but I've seen similar in Indonesia. In my experience of Islamic nations, there are a few nations, like Jordan where there's more openness about worship of Islam, and more freedom to do so, according to your own preferences. Less so, in most other places though. With Christian nations, these freedoms are common. With Islamic nations, these freedoms are rare.

When I was in Iran, it was part of a university tour thingy organised by my Chinese University... and while I met many highly educated Muslim lecturers, the impression was that they had the same conditioning that the educated Chinese lecturers had. For China, it's political ideological conditioning, for Iran, it's religious as well as political.

Personally, if I had the means to do it I’d kill two birds with the one stone by crop dusting the poppy fields in Afghanistan with kleen prep, it might lead to a decline in production, and it would have the double effect of reducing the popularity of the drugs produced from it in the West.

Personally, I'd just legalise all drugs with people being forced to do it in designated areas, and just allow those who want to do hard drugs to kill themselves. I'm not a big fan of this need by governments to "protect" citizens from themselves. As for Afghanistan, I genuinely believe they're only a threat to their neighbors if the west leaves them alone. The US brought Sept 11 on themselves through their decades of foreign interference. There was bound to be a blowback at some point... just as there's likely to be another one, due to the last 20 years of warmongering, and political bullying.

I just couldn’t see us agreeing to stick to our own countries, and i think by that same token it’s unrealistic and unreasonable to expect that multiculturalism wouldn’t operate in a reciprocal fashion. Seems particularly egregious if we were always on the take and said they were to stay where they are, we don’t want them, so to speak.

I've spent a lot of time in Asia, and to a lesser extent, in southern Africa, and I'd question just how much actual influence western culture has had on them, beyond the most superficial/surface of impressions (the influence of Christian missionaries would be greatest). Just as I'd wonder where all these westerners who are supposedly settling abroad, and being welcomed to stay long-term. Cause with the exception of a few countries like Thailand/Singapore, there is very little welcome to westerners wanting to live in foreign nations for extended periods (decades). Nor is there much desire for an exchange of culture except on the individual level.

For all that Japan was/is a close ally of the US (a somewhat iffy claim these days), and has been exposed to huge amounts of western tourism and business investment, it's remained very very Japanese, retaining a strong resistance to western influence. I'd say that S.Korea would be quite similar, although they've spent more effort in showing western ideals to garner more support, but again, they've retained strong Korean characteristics, pushing against the more important aspects of Western values or beliefs. These being the two Asian nations that have received the most attention from the US for over 50+ years, including tens of thousands of military personnel, and training provided. Both countries have very strong visas requirements, and limitations of who can gain citizenship (money being the easiest way, easier still than marriage)

I don't see this reciprocal fashion existing when it comes to multiculturalism. Unless someone wants to move to a western nation, that is.. and then, it's just plain dandy. Oh, sure, we have similar visa requirements and restrictions, but there is the expectation that multiculturalism is something to aspire to... something that is very much absent in most countries outside of Western nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've said this before, but here goes again:-

In Christianity, there are two books, the Old Testament and the New Testament. In the Old testament of Adam and Eve, Abraham ( Ibrahim in Islam, Jacub ( Yacub in islam ) etc. you had all the Gory bits.....eye for an eye, stoning for adulterers, chopping off of limb's for thieves, casting gays from great heights etc. etc.

Then from 2000 years ago, you have the New Testament, brought by Jesus. In this, he completely changed the relationship between God and Man, the "New and everlasting covenant between God and Man,. He overturned the Old Testament, it was the Christian renaissance, gone were all the "Gory " bits. And this is the Book or Testament Christians follow to this day. Its been more than 2'000 years since Christians carried out the "gory" bits.

Then in the 6th Century, Mohammad came on the scene, and started Islam. In this "new" religion, he relied heavily on the teachings of the old Testament, especially the Gory bits. This could be because he believed that Christians had moved too far away from the original Old Testament. And so today, in Islam you still have the gory bits, more than 2'000 years after Jesus abolished them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

A father is in court today in Dublin for leaving his 9 year old kid permanently brain damaged and requiring 24hr care. Investing officers contacted another cop who liaises with the Muslim community to see if there are any cultural or social issues in the case. Maybe this would be better handled in a sharia court eh, they'd understand the nuances better.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what your point is here?

gardai investigated a horrendous assault on a child and now the offenders are before the courts, hopefully will be found guilty.

Do you find it appropriate to make jokes about this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

Investigating officers contacted the Muslim community to see if there was any cultural or social issues involved in the case. Wtf has that got to do with anything?

Do you think that is appropriate in Ireland in 2021?

Yes. I do.

gardai are now policing a much more diverse population then they ever have before. As yet, the demographic of our police force has not caught up with the diversity in our population. Gardai endeavour to investigate every crime, every piece of evidence and every single line of investigation.

I'm not sure you understand what gardai did. Investigating officers contacted the Garda/Muslim liaison officer, not the Muslim community.

What has culture got to do with it? if the parents culture is cool with permanently damaging a young child because they believe the Djinn is in the child, that culture needs to be dragged into the 21 st century forcibly.. no understanding, no negotiation, no cultural relavatism , full weight of the law . on an unrelated note I see the FGM parents are appealing their conviction.. uggh

edit... Martin Nolan is presiding too :(

Nobody is suggesting that it is ok!

when investigating crimes, particularly very serious crimes such as this, gardai have to investigate every single aspect. So, should offender claim some rubbish about his culture allowing him to do certain things, gardai need to be aware of everything relating to that culture, so they can then advise the DPP or the court of the facts, in relation to the claims.

this happens in all investigations and is required. It's not in any way excusing any behaviour. As you can see gardai did a very thorough investigation, which resulted in the DPP recommending charges and the defendants are currently before the court.

If the defendent raises his culture as a defence or mitigation, it should be just laughed at and attract a maximum sentence. The gardai have to gather all the facts, I know..they can just record verbatim what the defendent says, and present it to the judge and jury.

They can. But in order to investigate properly and thoroughly, they investigate every single strand. Everything is (or should be! ) 'boxed off' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

So I take it you have been there for a visit or friends told you and you are now an expert . Did you go at night into these areas you deem not dangerous .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It'll be a great thing when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You had better build a bunker they are coming for you .

• Advertisement

That's interesting about Iran. I haven't visited yet but have previously read a report from either David Goldman or Eberstadt (Can't remember which) that had Iranian mosque attendance at just 2%, making it one of the most secular countries in the world (probably beneath the surface obviously, outwardly it is a deeply religious country.) It was an old report from the previous decade and may be widely inaccurate. Those I have worked with from there tended to be as apathetic to religion as are Irish people (Admittedly that would also be skewed because they would be more educated having moved to Europe for work).

Religion in Iran is used to totally control the people, and candidates for any office, (especially elections) are vetted for their "Religiosity", those deemed not hard line enough, are barred from running. Most Iranians are true Muslims, but anti establishment, and so they have a distain for the Cleric's, who they see as representing the Theocracy. Under the Shah, they had a very open society, and was very western in its outlook. Women dressed as they pleased, drink etc. was available. And then the Ayatollah came.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

Some multicultural enrichment just took place in Norway. It's always either far right or islam, always one or the other, but no, they are in no way similar.

Well, I've been there twice, first time as part of the University visit, and a second time as a holiday visiting some colleagues I'd met in China.

I quite liked Iran, and really enjoyed meeting most Iranians. There's a sophistication to many of them, which is rather understated, and yet, gives a very solid impression of intelligence. Besides, the women can be incredible looking.. especially that Persian look that tends to happen more often in the cities. Still, my experience of the countryside was very limited, only stopping at a few smaller towns while on trips between the cities.

Regarding Mosque attendance, I couldn't really say much. I went, due to invitations (and my own curiosity) to two mosques, and they were both more than full when I was there. It was an interesting experience, different to my experiences to mosques in other countries. I dunno. I didn't see much of the hard-line Islam, which I have seen elsewhere in the M.East/Africa. It seemed more "civilised" and polite. Still, I've spoken to others who have lived in Iran, who have told me about the harder side of Islam culture there, but I didn't see it myself.

As Jmreire says, though, their religion is present everywhere. Like I said earlier, they reminded me a lot of the Chinese, where the party always was present (invisible but there), and a definite requirement if someone wanted success at certain levels, and in Iran, allegiance to the religion would be the same. The Iranians I met were very smart people, knowledgeable about the world, but let's face it, few people get to choose how their culture evolved, and most people have to live within it.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we saw Iran return to a more westernised outlook after a few decades, IF they're left alone to find their way to it. Alas, I suspect that the US will find reasons for a showdown with them, and Iranians are a very proud people, so any aggression will push them to further embrace the culture and attitudes of the more serious and hard-line beliefs, simply so that they can survive. By remaining a leader in the Muslim world, they gain support to stand against Western aggression.

And yes, I do think most of what's directed at Iran is western aggression, and the world would be a better place if we left them alone. Either to destroy themselves, destroy Israel, or whatever. I honestly think it's past time for the west to wash its hands of the M.East, allowing them time to get past their religious period, and embrace the desire to improve their nations. Prosperity, and peace tends to get people questioning the power/influence of any religion.. or any government that holds the people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

This happened in my town, in a friends apartment block. The father is telling fairytales. Not going into it as it’s an open case, but a lot more went on than what he’s trying to spin.

Ditto., a very intelligent and friendly people overall, very proud and as you pointed out very good looking women. The msg I got from them was that the Islam practiced by the Ayatollah and his minions, was not supported by the majority, and that the mullahs etc. are not respected for the most part. The big problem for them is that at the moment, they are powerless to change their leadership, despite several attempts. And of course if the US ( and others) stopped interfering, it would take the wind out of the Ayatollahs sails, who use the "Great Satan" as an all encompassing reason to control their own population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Re: Representative vs. direct democracy. Regardless of the characteristics of a democratic system, democracy grants legitimacy to governments that broadly represent and implement the wishes and interests of the general population. It is clear that European governments make policy to permit and/or encourage mass migration against the wishes and interests of the general population, which undermines the legitimacy claimed by democracy.

Re: Being a victim of propaganda. The first rule to get out of a hole is to stop digging. I made an observation. You instinctively misread what I stated confirming my initial observation. Take the L, maybe self-reflect, and move on.

Re: The possibility I might equally be a victim of propaganda. Can you find anything on RTE, newspapers or mainstream media that is not relentlessly pushing the advantages of and necessity for limitless mass migration? I cant. For me to be the victim of propaganda, surely the media delivering it already has to exist on the necessary scale. I have to sift through scraps of information and form a view that is entirely at odds with what is presented as true, correct and good by the talking heads on national and international TV, radio, social media, newspapers etc. Maybe I am wrong, but if so I'm wrong on my own interpretation, because all the media is disagreeing with my view, not reinforcing it. Advocates of mass migration on the other hand are constantly fed a narrative to believe by the mass media they consume.

Re: Fertility crisis. It is generally accepted that to maintain any existing population, a fertility rate of 2.1 is needed. Irish fertility rates are 1.8 and declining. Expected to fall to 1.6 by 2031. That is self-evidently a crisis in and of itself, and indeed it is indicative of other problems in society - such as financial instability, housing costs and/or social issues preventing people having children. This is a widespread problem across "aging" Europe and - with the notable exception of Hungary which has had some recent successes - European governments including Ireland are entirely ignoring the problem and instead encouraging mass migration in a doomed attempt to make up the difference. Hence the 2040 plan.

Re: Sinn Fein. They are comically pro-mass migration. Apparently Bobby Sands died on hunger strike, not for Ireland or the Irish people, but for diversity. Anyone who votes for Sinn Fein is indeed voting for mass migration, and ultimately a second plantation with all the predictable division and mayhem that will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The murder of the British MP was a Somalian man. Isn't multiculturalism so wonderful?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/15/conservative-mp-david-amess-stabbed-multiple-times-surgery-church1/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It's not surprising that religiosity is a factor in military units and the people who compose them. Despite the diversity of the US and the ability to wage long distance wars by drone strikes, the US military still heavily relies on recruiting from a pool of white, working class/rural men from areas that are at least nominally religious in outlook. There is an old saying that there are no atheists in foxholes. People who are going to take on a task like risking their own life and limb in combat with people they have no quarrel with need to believe in something higher than collecting a paycheque and their own self interest. As the recent collapse of the pro-western Afghan regime has demonstrated, no one is going to die for women's access to education or LGBT rights. Whereas forces like the Taliban with some belief that death is not the end tend to fight harder, more successfully.

Despite all that, I don't think religiosity formed a decisive factor in the decision to wage war in Iraq. Decision makers in the US may exploit Christian religiosity, but they certainly aren't motivated by it. Neoconservative (i.e. neoliberal) ideology determined that the natural state of the world was neoliberalism, and that all that was necessary was to remove dictatorships to allow freedom (i.e. neoliberalism) to flourish. If nothing else, the fallout from the Iraq and Afghan wars has indisputably confirmed that neoliberalism is not the natural state of the world. Even in the US, it is floundering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

If its the case I'm thinking of, it happened literally 2 minutes from were I'm living.

Advertisement