Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There;s a turn up young man - we agree completely on an in-depth discussion! Mellowing away! By the talk of a lot of ones aj doesn’t stand a chance. Lots he could do, it’s doing it though. He’s at a crossroads either he goes out and tries all he can to win his belts back and would even look gallant in defeat or just do the same again. I reckon the former and I think he will get to Usyk. I’d be going with my original prediction of Joshua ko

I dont think either of them are that special but I thhink it’s a very interesting fight. Wallin’s victory over Breazele is a good one he boxed the head of him. He doesn’t get overawed and he will be a live opponent for whyte. For all that I think Whyte will have a bit too much for him. It’s a good measure of Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wallin’s a big man. Very game, and has a good chin. It’s Dillian Whyte, folks he is in with, not a prime Fury.

Fair enough that Whyte is circa 3-1 on, but I’d expect this to be close and hard won. Victory for either man not a certainty!

I’m no fan of Whyte but I think he’s a better boxer than you’re giving him credit for. He’s decent. Strong, powerful and when he’s on it he is good on stamina too (on what exactly is questionable!). He’s got 2 wins over Chisora who is competitive and in no way embarrassed himself against Usyk - the belt holder. He beat Parker and should really have finished him early. Even if he ended that fight badly Parker is a former champ too. Povetkin caught him after being battered, it would have been similar if Wilder had got Fury out in R4 last weekend.

I find it hard to predict the winner here I think it could be SD Whyte or close cards. He will beed to be in shape. I don’t fancy a Wallin ko I don;t think he hits hard enough but every chance Whyte will give him the opening if he can weather the early storm. Very evenly matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wallin's biggest issue will be if a few lads on here give him a chance.

Don't start jinxing my bets! 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The "top fighters" are the ones that get the experience by getting the chances. They are usually the ones that don't get beaten in their first few fights. They had gotten their steps up at the right time along the way. For example, if say Fury and Wilder had fought after 2 fights each, one would have lost and the loser might have been relegated to being used as a journeyman. A tough fight with a bad loss can also change a boxer. So that loser likely wouldn't be being talked about today. Most lads have a window in which they can either make it or not.

I am simply saying it will be a hard fought win. I would back Whyte here, but there should be no issues with a very cloely fought fight, or even an "upset."

Dillian Whyte is tier 2 at HW. He's good....and that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whyte's a hard one to call ,

Who's the best guy he has fought since AJ, In my view its probably Chisora who gave Whyte all sorts of problems he was beating him till the Ko in the 2nd fight,

Parker is a good name but very average , Parker could have finished him to,

AVP flatlined him & he is well past it ,

I wonder if Whyte has any regrets agreeing to the Wallin fight now that he knows he is likely to get Fury? I hope Whyte wins because I think he deserves a shot.

Wilder was causing Fury a lot of problems early on when he targeted the body and I think Whyte could do a lot of damage with his body shots.

Would still fully expect Fury to beat him but I think it would be a tougher fight for Fury than people think.

• Advertisement

He would have needed a fight to keep busy anyway, Maybe a lesser opponent but Wallin could be a decent warm up for Fury ,

Not sure it'll be that easy Wilder was throwing jabs from the outside & i think he has a 5inch reach advantage on Whyte ?

Also i don't think Whyte's is agile enough to get in & out like that,

Fury could also approach Whyte differently than he did Wilder & be lighter & move more, That the problem with Fury is he can skin a cat in so many different ways its hard to predict

Styles make fights so what was there Saturday may not be there for Whyte ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

whyte has been fairly close in a few fights over the years that could have gone either way, fury will come with a different plan for whyte if they do agree to fight

whyte is 9/2 on paddy power against fury which surprised me a little

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury is the best heavyweight of his generation on current evidence, thats it, you can put holes in anyones record, arguably Joshuas best win was also against Wlad, 2 years after Fury beat him.

Also, 'Prime Wlad' from 2008 was beating Sultan Ibragimov in a 12 round UD and knocking out Tony Thompson in the 11th round, lets not get carried away 😀

As for Fury's lineal title, he has held it since he beat Wlad, so he has 'defended' it 7 times surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Similar was said about the Ruiz rematch and he came back and got the belts!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He was caught with a shot round the back of the head in Ruiz match that he never recovered from it could happen to anyone ,( Lennox twice)

Getting beaten soundly over 12 rounds is quite different

True but he made the mistake of trying to outbox Usyk, surely won't make that mistake again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So what happens if wallin wins? Will Fury be forced to wait around for the rematch?

Also if wallin wins the rematch also will Fury have to fight him again?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bit like Price? I see your point here. Dubois could be added in time. Wlad did well not to fall into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement

I think Aj/Usyk 2 could have some similarities to Fury/Wilder 3 in that AJ will have to do more but it is highly likely that it won't be enough. I reckon his best chance is to throw some really hard combinations early on and see if that works. If not he'll be a sitting duck in the second half of the fight. But at least throw the kitchen sink at it.

The question is why did he try that ? There has to be some kind of logic as to why they went that road to begin with ,

Is it because AJ or McCraken don't want him to be take shots now ? Are they worried about his chin ? I personally reckon its a stamina issue, they where afraid if he goes after Usyk & doesn't get the job done he won't have the gas to holdup the rest of the fight & will get stopped .

Technically/officially he has defended it (WBC) once I think, but I get your point....the fights after Wlad were not sanctioned world title defenses

Of this generation/time he can well be argued the best around today, of course.

He needs to do more to come close to some others greats. Has two wins against world class rated fighters. One almost 40, and one who many believe is not all that great...

And Wlad aged 31/32 was a clearly better fighter vs aged 39 in 2015 from what I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No if Wallin wins i think Fury will probably have to fight Ruiz or Joe Joyce (being the next highest WBC ranked after Whyte and Wilder) while he waits on Usyk and Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭ebbsy

One more thing about the AJ fight -

Was there any need for the Rocky 4 bit of his entrance ?

All the cheerleading etc, could not have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He's the opposite of Rocky, more like Drago:) and it was interesting to see that considering he was telling people not to buy from white owned businesses only over a year ago.

Watched the Tyson v Lewis fight again the other night & it does seem they were a lot stronger, quicker and better conditioned back then. Would have been very interesting to see how Fury would have done back then, I believe he's the only boxer recently that could mix it with them.

Hopefully Fury's next fight is the winner of Uysk v AJ, then he goes on to fight AJ to wrap up his legacy and retire still relatively young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

That sounds about right, Bob arum was asked about the outcome if wallin wins would he then fight fury and he laughed and said fury has already beaten him and Mauricio is a good boxing man that will see sense

Bob is going favouring wallin over whyte because he was able to box well and took all of furys punches through the fight, he’s currently 2/1 outsider

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah. I was actually going to mention Price in the post! Himself and Fury were supposedly on a collision course and then he got two bad beatings.

They where better conditioned back them because they where up to there neck in cocktail of Jesus juice , Look at the Real deal you honestly think that man made that physical change naturally he;d a set of traps on him like Kai Green , You just got to look at all the heavyweights of the early 90's

Mike Tyson said he used a prosthetic penis to get through drug tests & when pushed on it released peds would tarnish his legacy & said & said it was just because he done cocaine & smoked weed ,

It certainly still happens today but harder to get away with so not as strong

• Advertisement

I don't think conditioning would matter too much here anyway...the likes a AJ and Wilder would have lasted about 1-2 rds tops with a prime Tyson...and if Lewis was in a hurry, same for him...

Only Fury is getting consideration from me as a fighter today with any type of hope

Even an in-form Tua or Mercer would take AJ and Wilder out handily..

Foreman from the 90s would walks through both for the KO

Advertisement