Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Don't think anybody knows what's going to happen tbh but i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see another lockdown post Xmas this year. The vaccines help though so fingers crossed our rubbish health system can cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not at all. We've had a few large hospital outbreaks in the last week account for the uplift in hospital numbers but admissions are stable. Locking down the country because a hospital doesn't have robust enough infection control policies is bat shït crazy talk.

Mind you, when did anything we do in this country make a lick of sense anyway. Sure, tell you what, you worry about this "surge" while the rest of us get on with living our lives.

COVID or not, our hospitals are a complete and utter shambles. We had massive waiting lists for everything before COVID so the health system hiding behind this virus doesn't wash and people may be finally waking up to the fact that it's so poorly run we may actually start to see a push for some meaningful change.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We won't

Sure slainte care is collapsing right in front of our very eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I've given you the figures. They are official figures from the official Government website. If you want to wallow in the delusion of them not being real, that's your prerogative.

We've heard your sort of dismissive response many times before, and these sort of dismissive responses have always been wrong.

I genuinely don't understand why people are so determined to cock two fingers at reality and keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Your excitement is in overdrive isn’t it? Dying for a lockdown eh? Do you honestly think we should be under lock and key for the rest of our lives? I presume you’re advocating for a good auld lockdown? Make sure you wipe the drool off your chin though with your smugness.

Firstly we have very effective vaccines. 67 % of the icu crowd are because of antivaxxers and what not. Yes 67 % from 8% of the ignorant population swinging the arms as they walk “ I wOnT bE taKiNg tHat shYte iN mY aRm”.

As a double jabbed person i won’t be going back into a lockdown, that’s a fact. It’s not me that’s clogging the hospitals.. I have done my bit. Life HAS to go on. Be careful of the spiders when you get back under your bed though because i believe the false widow can give a nasty bite.

Lets wait until we see the figures for the coming week. You seem to be getting a little over excited over the last couple of days of figures. Don’t jump the gun yet.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭JoChervil

So we are opening on 22nd and all office workers will back in the office and on buses/trains/luas.

But there is still a big group of people, who are more vulnerable than others, like employees over 60. Shouldn't they be allowed to return to work on voluntary basis? Especially that their vaccine will start waining much sooner than younger generations, so they will be completely unprotected in the middle of the winter. I am not talking about a person having their own office and travelling to work alone in their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This thread would give ya nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭thebronze14

So are you suggesting we will never return to normal? With this amount vaccinated this is as good as it gets I'm afraid! Don't think people would stand for lockdowns anymore to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It is not hand holding because I think about each person right to decide for themselves if it is safe for them to return or not. Especially, if they provide best quality work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I actually live in the real world chief, along with the majority of the country at this stage.

Funnily enough it's the likes of you that live in a fantasy world.

Covid is no longer a threat to the majority. No amount of patronising drivel like the above is going to change mine or anyone else's mind on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christmas may be as chaotic as last year if the seeds for a lockdown straight after Xmas day are planted

It's our health service that will be the cause of it mark my words

And who determines what's safe and what's not?

Only the over 60's get to work from home and everyone else back in the office?

This thing is coming to an end and the sooner people realize that the better.

Covid is over.vaccines give us a good as it’s going to get chance.time for full normality to return including getting rid of masks.if u want to hid away forever and wear a mask forever then fine knock yourself out.the same ones wanting more lockdowns will be the same one bitching when taxes rise to pay for this insanity.

the panic from some due to big numbers over last couple of days but no mention in the media of the usual backlog stroke being played again just before a date of easing shows how well the fear worked on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If the excuse is the health service being overrun, I don’t see how they can justify another lockdown considering they have done nothing to expand the ICU capacity in the HSE. I’d say the cost of that is minimal in comparison with another lockdown, but then again when has any of this made sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

This is the real scandal. We're one of the richest countries in the world and 18 months on from the start of corona we've barely expanded ICU/hospital capacity. Despite it being the only, proven, long term solution.

First the government didn't bother because they thought lockdowns would solve the crisis. Then they didn't bother because they thought vaccines would. But now that we know vaccines aren't the magic bullet they were meant to be, and case numbers can and will still spike despite high vaccination rates, its clear covid is still going to put a huge amount of pressure on our hospitals this winter. Our hospitals that even in normal times regularly operated at 97-98% of capacity in winter...

Its going to be a shitshow. And one that could have gone a long way towards being avoided if the government had used the time afforded to them to heavily invest in expanding our healthcare capacity rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

With Eamon Ryan just recently making our emissions targets legally binding and with the reduction in emissions due to people working from home during lockdown, then it would make sense for the government to encourage companies to allow as many as possible to remain working from home. Even if that meant financial incentives for employers who would also benefit from lower overheads.

Some are calling for everything to go back to normal, by which I presume they mean back to how life was pre Covid, but that is just not going to happen. On how many levels, time will tell, but for anyone who believes we are just going to pick up where we left off in 2019 I`m afraid they may be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

7 day average of Admissions is 24, a week ago it was 26. 7 day average of cases detected in hospital is 41, a week ago it was 43.

If anything it's on a downward trend, so one would expect hospital figures to reduce.

The swab data contains results from tests taken up to 3 days previously, as mentioned in the press release.

The epidate seems a lot more stable. Maybe that's why the mass panic and doom and gloom seems to be here and not in the government

• Advertisement

Oh i don’t know. For me life seems to be going back to pre covid normal, and i think will do so for many people. My everyday work is unaffected. I have resumed a bit of travelling too. Also heading to see family in the USA next month. I can go to a pub if i choose ( not a big pub goer anyway) or a restaurant. For me life couldn’t be better and is getting back to normal and i’m sure will do for many. I can live with the health guidlines too. I have picked up from i left off in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If people want life to go back to the way it was in 2019, that's what'll happen.

I still see a lot of "we'll never return to 2019 normal" type stuff and I disagree. If that's what people want (which it presumably is) then it'll happen eventually.

It’s usually from people who don’t want to see normality returning that like to bang that drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭brickster69

Good post. As the PM of Israel said " vaccines are not the way out but just one of the tools "

So as Ireland heads towards " freedom " the only tools to hand are vaccines or restrictions to contain the spread that will happen once restrictions are eased. No increase in hospital or testing capacity suggests no plan to contain this virus or any other that may occur.

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

One thing we should do for sure is impose severe restrictions on people who refuse the jab. I mean 67% in icu from most of the 8% who refused it?? Ffs. If we do that it will certainly ease the hospitalizations this winter. It’s a no brainer.

Mr Ryan also thinks it's realistic that every home should have a passive rating and heat pumps installed. Sure, it's only about 80k per house but we should all go out and remortgage our homes so Ryan and the other loony greens can sit at home and enjoy smelling their own farts, safe in the knowledge they've saved the planet.

Realistically, some will act like it's still the middle of a pandemic but the vast majority will get back to whatever precovid living was like for them.

Did life go back to normal after the Spanish Flu????????

Of course life is going back to normal,its already almost back to normal,the only thing not fully open yet are the nightclubs.

Masksa re already gone in other European coutries and the world hasnt fallen in.

The Uk have been back to normal for months now and they are doing just fine.

Micheal Martin and co are back flying the globe to attend meetings they could arrange on zoom.

If the Politicans want the carbon footprint reduced then they can stop flying to the States etc for meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭brickster69

So more restrictions, i thought vaccine passes were being done away with ?

If you are planning on opening everything up the only way to do so is by mass testing and Ireland can't do that because they never built up the capacity. There is no other possible solution unless it just goes away.

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

Not necessarily more restrictions . If hospitals are going to be overrun( the boards experts seem to think so come winter) the majority will be the unvaccinated. If that happens yes i do think antivaxxers should be restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am having the absolute opposite experience!Life is getting back to a nice normal for my parent's generation (over 60s), out for dinner, going on weekends away, lovely.

Covid has started to run through our preschool in the last 2 weeks, two of my friends have caught it (either from their kids or vice versa) and are isolating with families.A week intoisolation, antigen tests of other family members have shown positive, so extending the isolation period more. Now it's in the preschool, we are counting the days until it hits the primary school through siblings.I am basically just waiting for it to hit our house, the only question is will we all get it close enough to isolate for a shorter period, or will it be a long drawn out 6 week session of isolation?

Small family party next weekend for a grandchild's birthday, I'll have to antigen all mine before we go to it.

Normal is a long way off yet if you have primary school kids, if I'm honest.

Advertisement