Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I get that, but that has always been the case for the past, god-only-knows, years. The health system will be overwhelmed, nothing new, 2 years ago we got over it and we accepted x amount of death caused by the hospital mismanagement: why this year should be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

There is something disturbing in the Irish incidence of Covid, given our high vaccination rate. We have the 7th highest 14-day incidence rate per 100k out of 31 EU/EEA countries. Those higher than Ireland are almost all central and eastern European countries with much lower vaccination rates. Spain has a 14 day rate one-sixth that of Ireland and Portugal a rate one-quarter that or Ireland. Both of these countries have had lots of tourist visitors. Portugal and Ireland are highest in the Vaccination rate league (well over 90% or adults)

France also has a much lower rate than Ireland, and the rules are broadly similar, but in my recent experience quite consistently enforced.

In these circumstances the high Irish rate is a bit puzzling and somewhat concerning. I am relying on EU (ECDC) data, and unfortunately there is no info on the UK, but I think their rate is quite high. How much of our high rate is due to UK and especially NI -related transmission?

More info here: https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/#3_EUEEA:_key_epidemiological_indicators

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Two years ago we got over it. One year ago we threw every other consideration out the window in order to protect our health service.

Now this year we are going to idly stand by and let it be overwhelmed?

Surely the people clapping on their balconies will not stand for that, what about our front line heroes? What about the vulnerable?

Opened pandoras box, shifted the overton window, call it whatever you want but whether we go back to restrictions or just let it all rip, this winter is going to make a lying **** hypocrite out of somebody.

You do realise the difference between 80,000 and 800,000 cases in 3 months is a small in the reproduction rate. It’s basically 12 reproduction cycles, and about the difference of a 1.3 r rate a 1.6 rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In fairness, the only people are the same few, persistent, and frankly painful, posters on this thread. Who have been predicting lockdowns ever since we came out of the last one. I've no doubt that some of these posters would prefer nothing more than another lockdown (though they obviously won't admit it) for no other reason than to gleefully boast on here "see, I told you so". The country is vaccinated, people are not getting sick and dying like they were before - which is why lockdowns were implemented. Yes, hospitals are and will be busy, but not overrun with Covid like before. I can't believe we're even discussing this. Is there that much mental scarring, that throwaway comments, worst-case contingency plans, etc. are being used (again by the same few on here) as evidence of further lockdowns? Government and NPHET, as recently as this week, reiterated that the reopening will be going ahead as planned. Philip Nolan said on Wednesday that we are close to suppressing the virus, but you won't see that mentioned on here. Instead we get some Dail Mail speculative rubbish.

I honestly can't understand the mentality of some on here. I guess it's a case of convincing yourself that the worst possible outcome is the most realistic one so that you won't be disappointed if the desired outcome doesn't transpire. There's probably a name for this sort of condition, but it's a sad reflection on what Covid has done to some, when they are permanently cyncial and afraid/unwilling to move on and look forward.

I'd say someone could do a pretty good thesis based on this thread, it's very funny to dip in and out of now and again. Two weekends to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's weird, we were worst, then 2nd, now we're 7th highest. People on here saying Romania and other eastern European countries had much much lower rates weeks ago. Amazing how things can change.

On Ireland/Portugal.... It's interesting. Our 7 day average of cases vs Portugal is 226 v 66, yet those in hospital is 64 v 34. So we have 4x time the cases as Portugal but only 2x the number in hospital. It makes making comparisons hard. It's really not a like for like comparasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Irish people love a good COVID test. Can't get enough of them. Would queue for hours for a freebie test with nothing more than a runny nose.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The positivity rate does not support your hypothesis/rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Positivity doesn't mean that the person tested had anything worse than a runny nose

This post does nothing to disprove my hypothesis either.

Why vaccinated adults are running to a test centre at the first sign of a runny nose is beyond me. Take a lemsip and stay in bed for a couple of days if you need to.

This mass testing malarkey needs to be reigned in. It's costing a fortune and has absolutely no benefit anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Yeah was in A&E with my child, we were just sitting ducks for nearly 6 hours to get an x-ray. No movement of people. Like that a toddler came in with a cut just needed the Steri strips put in, 4 and a 1/2 hours later they were put on.

I understand about what the poster mentioned on a post they go by urgency but come on if this was a private business it wouldn't last with such poor leadership. I feel sorry for the nurses and doctors as they are doing their best but I blame management. It ran more smoothly in 2020 you were sent to the department you were going to, no hanging around. That night should not be any different people that was needed an x-ray should have being sent for them and then dealt with afterwards. Same with people with cuts that needed to be looked after. They need a good project manager.

Now a&es full of people who probably doesn't need to be there but sent there because of GPS won't see them and they are still hiding behind covid etc

Your recollection of a&e pre covid and mine differ greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

Going to UK in two weeks and I genuinely can’t wait to be able to browse and shop without having to choose to whether I’ll do it with fogged you glasses or half blind

When are we going to move on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

I can confirm that my ear is burnt from hearing about people I know running off for tests, and guilt tripping all around them to be going for tests.

None of them are ever sick either.

If they had to pay for each test it might soften their cough a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Appears to me we may be seeing the very early stages of another surge. Cases, hospitalisations and ICU occupancy have all significantly increased over the last few days.

The coming winter is beginning to look grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

1000%. Imagine if the money was spent on something targeted like perhaps increased cancer or heart screening where it might save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Anyone else get this sinking feeling that October 22nd freedoms will be short lived ? Are we really to expect cases and hospitalisations will remain stable in the depths of winter . It’s only early October and they are already starting to rise . It will only get worse surely? I will be delighted but also pretty surprised if they don’t reimpose the restrictions that are being relaxed on October 22nd at some stage over the winter . Would make you wonder why the hell we haven’t had normality the last 6 weeks at a more favourable time of the year . Hopefully I’m wrong and they hold their nerve when things get challenging again

• Advertisement

Hospital numbers are stable, ICU dropped yesterday, case numbers seemed to include 3 days worth of backlog. In conclusion, you are talking pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Surely there won’t be another lockdown? Most people are double vaxxed? I thought the point of the vaccines were that you’d still get Covid but wouldn’t get that sick from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I really really can't see them locking people down with over 90% vaccinated.

It would be political suicide but if they did, I really don't see such a docile people standing up to it.

Nothing would surprise me at this stage.

And I'm not sure that there would be much organised backlash either. Too many Irish people are concerned with appearing to be right on to challenge anything..

I stress appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Can’t see a lockdown no. Surely impossible but certain restrictions on hospitality etc wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest . No point worrying about something that may never happen I guess . Let’s just enjoy October 22nd freedoms and hope they last .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

That's unfortunately not true.

In general terms yes, if you are vaccinated then you have a much better chance of having a less severe dose, and the vast majority by far of those who are entering ICU are not vaccinated. Some people though are still getting very sick, even with the two jabs. I have a friend who caught it (30s) and he was in a really bad way, but far the roughest time he has been through with any illness. It is also the case also that quite a number of vaccinated people are getting ill to the point that they need to be hospitalized. They do tend to recover though to the point at least that they do not require ICU admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That’s why we all have to make sure we’re vaccinated while people take personal responsibility to protect themselves . Unfortunately there will be casualties of the war but life will be carrying on. The lockdown era is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

In my opinion we should definitely lock down tomorrow in order to prevent another lockdown, I'm getting reports that bodies are piling up on the street and I hear the army might be drafted in aswell. Hold firm.

Hospital numbers are not stable. They are steadily increasing. Yesterday's swab data was 143% of the previous Friday's.

An increase in hospitalisations from 298 on October 2nd to 354 on October 8th is not stable.

An increase from 56 to 74 in ICU in seven days is not stable.

You are arguing against facts and reality.

• Advertisement

Glib, sarcastic responses like that don't help your position, they only expose a complete lack of good faith engagement.

Unfortunately I think there is indeed a good chance we will have to reimpose restrictions during the winter. If we have to do so, it will be because there is no alternative.

You might think that letting the health service be overrun and Covid patients filling our hospitals is a good idea, and that more Covid in society will somehow magically improve treatment for other illnesses and medical problems. The sarcastic tone of your post would strongly indicate you do.

But that would be magical thinking. Living in a fantasy world.

Advertisement