Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

Flyefit in cork is packed to the rafters whenever I go in after work. I'm trying to change my routine so I can go in the morning or weekend instead when it's quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Showers still closed in the local gym. Are these expected to open from October 20th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭The Davestator

They should be open now - almost everywhere is open and lots never closed.

There not in mine. Probably trying to save on hot water. It's a nuisance when your dripping in sweat having to wait until you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/covid19/living_with_covid19_plan.html

From 7 December 2021 -

Gyms, leisure centres, hotel bars and restaurants

You need to have proof of immunity (for example, the EU DCC) to go to a gym, leisure centre, or to a hotel bar or restaurant.

You must be fully vaccinated, or recovered from COVID-19

• Advertisement

Luckily enough I won't need to show the cert all the time. It will just be a one off i.e on the 7th because I go 6 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

About time. Mask wearing should be next. Let's try and make gyms a bit safer for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Well I'm hoping masks won't be a demand, happy to show cert proof and then get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I think this is the correct route to take. If it helps to keep gyms open for majority of the population, rather than facing a full shutdown that will affect all the workers and all the attendees, then it seems like a good idea to me.

• Advertisement

The jury is out on cardio but certainly no reason why masks can't be worn while weight training and moving around the gym. UA do a decent sports specific mask and no doubt there are others on the market.

I could never understand why it's considered OK to walk into a gym and partake in an activity that encourages heavy breathing without once wearing a mask but I can't walk into a shop to buy a pint of milk without wearing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The gym I go to checked all of our certs this morning and recorded it on the system. Glad that this will be a on-time check rather than a daily chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

°°°°°

The jury isn't out on masks for cardio. Unless you're going to the gym to sit on a bike and watch the telly or walk on a treadmill wearing a mask whilst doing cardio is a ridiculous notion.

I saw a guy wearing a mask in my gym last week using a cable machine, he just walked away from it, never bothered to use the disinfectant that was right bloody next to him to clean it down and just walked out of the gym.

Masks aren't some panacea like you're suggesting. I wonder how many cases could be traced back to gyms to begin with. Unless you're talking about gyms with poor ventilation, it's hard to argue that masks are going to make gyms any safer.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Feck off and train in a shed by yourself then!

I am. I might venture back to the gym though once they start operating like the rest of society.

There is conflicting information regarding the whole cardio debate - a quick Google search will throw up results both for and against mask wearing.

About the guy you saw, just because one person acts the bollox while wearing a mask doesn't mean we should all abandon the measure. Speed limits stay in place on the roads despite being repeatedly broken.

Masks aren't some panacea, I completely agree with you. But they are part of a range of measures to help limit the spread of the virus. Just like cleaning down machines, adequate ventilation, distancing and vaccination. If you have all these measures in place then the risk of catching and spreading the virus is lower than if you only have 2 or 3 measures in place - it is as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Our gym has had one close contact in all the time they've been reopened and that was from a completely different location. The HSE came and looked at it and were happy with it. Like other places , they use bookings, distancing , windows wide open and lots of sanitiser about. There are even one or two in masks.

Notification from gym of the new regulations coming into force tomorrow. Looks like a one off requirement as noted earlier.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Try doing high intensity cardio with a mask on and let me know how you get on.

The point I was making about the guy with the mask was that doing one thing right doesn't negate doing the other. I'd prefer to see people cleaning equipment after use than walking around in masks.

Ultimately masks aren't mandatory in gyms because it's a nonsense. If you want to wear one that's your choice. The rush to impose mandates on people for the sake of making people "feel safe" is daft. If you don't feel safe in a gym without a mask you probably shouldn't go to a gym.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

So wearing a protective covering over your nose and mouth does nothing to help stop the spread of a respiratory, airborne virus? It’s nonsense alright bud, but it’s coming out of your mouth.

°°°°°

Expecting somebody doing high intensity cardio vascular exercise to do so whilst wearing a face covering is a nonsense. I didn't say anything about the effectiveness of masks in other settings, I questioned the logic that states wearing them in a gym makes the gym a safer place.

Not to be overly pedantic "bud" but none of the words you're reading here came out of my mouth, but don't let facts stop you having a hissy fit.

As it stands covid certs have been introduced as a requirement for gym attendance. For you that's not enough, masks should be worn at all times also. That is a ridiculous opinion and one that no one in their right mind would get on board with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wearing masks working out. That's a good one. Not a hope that would be entertained or enforced. If someone doesn't feel safe in the gym stay at home and let the rest workout and get on with it. Even this COVID cert compliance check won't be universally done in all gyms imo.

"Ultimately masks aren't mandatory in gyms because it's a nonsense." Not to be over pedantic but this is from your previous post.

My own gym emailed yesterday to state that masks are now a requirement in reception, the changing rooms and other circulation areas. It's only a matter of time before they make it on to the gym floor for non cardio exercise. As for cardio, if it can't be done safely indoors without a mask then it shouldn't be done indoors. The case for wearing masks during cardio is well established (Google is your friend here) whether you agree with it or not.

You speak about facts, but numerous countries around the world already require gym users to wear masks while exercising but don't let this fact stop you.

Masks are now making their way into gyms in Ireland, toughen up princess and put one on - it's not that much of an ask during a global pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The gym I run (private) has required masks since we re-opened in June. Doing weights is fine, however, the cardio section is empty because, despite what Google may or may not say, it is horrible trying to do any cardio session with a mask. The result of this is that the weights area is busier than normal as people are gravitating towards it.

That meant we had to reduce the gym capacity further compared to what we had calculated based on floor area.

°°°°°

The notion that a mask causes no issues to somebody doing intense cardio is a nonsense.

If you think cardio is safe without a mask then surely there would be evidence to suggest that people using cardio machines in gyms are causing increased case numbers.

You say there's a possible argument for cardio not being safe indoors, there is no evidence to suggest that is the case. Again if you feel the gym isn't safe, don't go.

As for facts on this issue let's consult the World Health Organization... https://youtu.be/1_AxGswGnno

For those who didn't click the link to YouTube the WHO does NOT recommend the use of masks during exercise.

If a gym is demanding you wear a mask whilst doing cardio they are going against the best advice.

Sorry "princess" perhaps instead of toughening up you might be better wising up and getting your facts straight before grandstanding.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think there is definitely a middle ground here in terms of masks in changing rooms - I my own gym ventilation in the changing rooms and bathrooms is non-existent and you can see people being more "relaxed" in the bathrooms coughing, laughing, chatting etc. unlike the gym floor, and standing closely together getting changed etc. The benefits might not be massive but every bit helps and it wouldn't impact workouts whatsoever to implement a policy in changing rooms imo.

• Advertisement

I clearly stated in an earlier post that there are arguments both for and against mask wearing while doing cardio. The WHO's position is well established on this but they are not infallible. At the very least, I think masks should be required in the weights area, reception, changing rooms and circulation areas.

°°°°°

So are you softening your stance on masks during cardio?

Let's refresh our memories on what you said in your previous post and I quote; "As for cardio, if it can't be done safely indoors without a mask then it shouldn't be done indoors. The case for wearing masks during cardio is well established (Google is your friend here) whether you agree with it or not."

You stated that the case for wearing masks during cardio is" well established", where exactly has it been established? You say the WHO is not infallible, I agree but where is your evidence to counter what they are saying on this issue?

Glazers Out!

From my second post on the subject: "The jury is out on cardio but certainly no reason why masks can't be worn while weight training and moving around the gym." My position hasn't changed.

I'm not here to spoon feed you information regarding the opposing view but the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (USA) and the European Respiratory Journal are just two organisations that have a different opinion on the matter to the WHO.

°°°°°

Your position hasn't changed? Fair enough, all I can take from what your saying is that you don't understand your opinion. In one post you say "the jury is out" in another you say "the case is well established".

Can you see how someone may be confused about your stance on this issue? You're literally contradicting yourself and making a grab for the moral high ground at the same time.

These are things that YOU are writing YOURSELF. It really is hilarious to read.

Glazers Out!

It is down to space, ventilation and clientele. For my own gym that's from the very small to the very old and it has never gone down the mask route but it does have a very big floor area, oodles of windows and operates other restrictions sensibly, all to very good effect and we've all been safe throughout.

Jaysus. Yes, the jury is out and the opposing case has been well established. There are contradicting opinions on the matter out there. It's easy to confuse you by the looks of things.

Life is too short for this. Good luck buddy & stay safe. 

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I'd have happily walked away from this exchange if you hadn't been so obnoxious ("toughen up princess", "it's easy to confuse you by the the looks of things").

Saying the "jury is still out" on a subject whilst also stating that the "case is well established" is hypocrisy plain and simple.

Life is too short for this, you're right there. It's also easier to have your opinions entertained by others if you aren't acting like a petulant child whilst trying to get them across.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have been in two gyms since the vaccine cert requirement for gym access came in - Westwood Clontarf and my work gym - and both had someone checking certs, and then making a record in relation to them for future entry.

Happy to see this being implemented.

You'd imagine an awful lot of them are doing the same thing and it's really not a huge deal to to do it just once.

Same in my local gym. Once off check and logged to the computer for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wonder are gyms putting a lot of memberships on hold.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭rondog

Agreed,the system in Clontarf took seconds and I was on my way.Ive been using the Sandymount WW too as it has a nice relaxing spa area which i miss in CLontarf while its under renovation.Very impressed with the Sandymount spa area,hopefully Clontarf ends up similar to it.

Some did during the lockdowns, some didn't but monthly members are unlikely to get anything back. You can understand the position of gyms and their members at the suddenness of this pretty pointless measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭rondog

Its awful for Gyms, follow the orders and have many unhappy unvaxxed customers,dont follow orders and get hit with big fines and possibly closure.

People should aim their anger at Nephet and their ridiculous mixed messages.As per records there was 1 outbreak in a Gym setting yet further restrictions placed on gyms.

I only think Npehet are the worst thing to come out of this pandemic.ALready they have polarised the whole country and have people turning on eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Glad to see this being brought in. Hopefully they will expand the use of vaccination certs across the wider economy as well. The unvaccinated 6% make up over 50% of cases in ICU, that figure is what could lead to further lockdowns and undiagnosed cancer cases etc. Get jabbed unless you have a genuine medical reason. Decisions have consequences.

I wonder how many regular gym goers endup up in ICU?, If I had to choose between "Jaxinated" or be obese and vaccinated, I'd pick the former.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Hard to know but we do know there is a direct correlation between being unvaccinated and being in ICU.

I know a couple people who were hospitalised with covid who I would consider very fit. Not ICU but still. At times there seems to rhyme or reason to it.

This is quite a good if depressing read-

°°°°°

Where else should certs be introduced? The only places left that don't require them are shops.

Glazers Out!

I saw that one, cant be sure he didnt do steroids though as BB was one of his things in the past and it certainly hasnt been a good year for steroid users. Also age comes into it, >40 year olds should consider their risks in the way that a teenager or someone in their twenties or thirties dont need to so much. Stopping young people going to the gym isnt going to help ICU numbers

Maybe there’s some other factor but seems odd it wouldn’t be mentioned if so. Some people just have a bad run if they get covid I think… but at the end of the day it seems likely had he been vaccinated he would not have died.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Advertisement
Advertisement