Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

I didn't mind that as I used to wipe down the bench etc with anti bac spray for the last 15 years of gym going anyway. I admittedly wasn't at it every 2 mins, just before and after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

showpony1 wrote: »
    I will obviously still go back once opened - but i dreaded the gym experience from July onwards last year, over and back to try and locate the bottle of hand sanitizer & tissue every two minutes to wipe down a dumbell or bench.

Hopefully most gyms will be better when they re-open.

We gave every entrant their own bottle when they arrived, and they put it back into a different box when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Hopefully most gyms will be better when they re-open.

We gave every entrant their own bottle when they arrived, and they put it back into a different box when leaving.

i had heard of that in some gyms alright and the capacity was limited to the amount of bottles available then.

i am in one of the big commercial gyms and they had a queue to limit numbers first day reopened in summer and after that just let unlimited numbers onto gym floor. When it opened again in December they had boxes drawn around the benches on floor to keep distance but again was just bottles of sanitiser hanging on the walls so any time you were changing equipment had to clean.

If doing a class etc its grand you only have one bike/bar etc that you wipe at start and end.

A minor gripe but one of those hassles that's prob here to stay now forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Augeo wrote: »
    I didn't mind that as I used to wipe down the bench etc with anti bac spray for the last 15 years of gym going anyway. I admittedly wasn't at it every 2 mins, just before and after use.

Cleaning equipment is welcome for me. Any groups of young lads you've seen in a gym in the last 10 years would generally be walking around with their hands fashionably cradled inside their underpants before touching everything around them.

My major gripe from using the gym from July onwards last year was the selfishness of some other members using equipment for as long as they liked as if it was a normal trip to the gym pre covid.

Gyms need to limit members time on all equipment to allow for opportunities for all members to get fair use out of the equipment and it needs to be mandated by management and not left to the typically timid staff to enforce.

That and people staying well over their allocated time slot, some of whom in my gym were regularly doing so.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

silverharp wrote: »

My son is doing this at the moment with giant buckets in the back garden. I was dubious originally but he was out deadlifting in the back garden last night. Delighted with himself.

I wish I was as productive in the lockdown. Now all his friends want to buy some of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Looks like mid-May for gyms.

Sunday Times reports that non-essential retail and outdoor hospitality will be allowed reopen in mid May.

The last few times gyms opened at around the same time as non-essential retail.

Mid May makes sense, by then all over 70's and vulnerable will be vaccinated. There is no real reason to damage peoples physical and mental health beyond that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

"Give me gains or give me death"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

JTMan wrote: »
    More evidence that the lockdown has created a mental health and physical health crisis.

42% have gained weight in the US and probably worse here given the length of our lockdown.

https://twitter.com/jon_rauch/status/1374005513256640524

This is going to have long lasting effects. Hopefully gyms open as soon as is possible.

Nothing wrong with weight gain as long as it’s all lean muscle of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

As someone who is in that catagory of being vulnerable (underlining medical condition) it's about time for things to open back up.

I know the government are trying to protect us but it also gives me a lot of more time to dwell which isn't good either. I just can't wait for my swimming pool to open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

By mid may all over 70's wont be vaccinated. My FIL is 77 with underlying conditions and has not gotten his first vaccine yet. Nor has he had a call to make an appointment to have a vaccine either. None of my friends parents have been vaccinated either all in their late 70's and one in their 80's. I would love it to be May but unless vaccine rollout speeds up I cant see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

jrosen wrote: »
    By mid may all over 70's wont be vaccinated. My FIL is 77 with underlying conditions and has not gotten his first vaccine yet. Nor has he had a call to make an appointment to have a vaccine either. None of my friends parents have been vaccinated either all in their late 70's and one in their 80's. I would love it to be May but unless vaccine rollout speeds up I cant see it happening.

We're at the mercy of NPHET, all it takes is for them to say we need to extend lockdown and that's what happens. Last week we were resigned to July at the earliest, it's hard to see how that's changed in any substantive way since then.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm sceptical in the extreme that the gyms will be open before mid or late summer. If, as seems likely, we will have an "outdoor summer" with outdoor sports and (at best) outdoor dining, hard to see why they would reopen gyms. Especially when, as the weather improves, people can arguably be active outdoors more easily than in past months.

B17 variant means we're not going to get the case numbers down, I think we all accept that. Whatever you think about Leo he was right recently when he said we would not get to below 500 cases again in the near future. Then we go to hospital admission and ICU numbers. As I understand it we are stiller higher on those scores right now than we were last year when were in summer and out of phase 5 restrictions.

I reckon "outdoor summer" and we limp our way through the vaccine program, and things will look better sometime between September and November.

Still a good time to buy gym equipment, just like it was during lockdown 1, lockdown 2 etc... I bet next year at times it will still be a good time... This is going to go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is anyone selling place selling these (10KG/20KG cast iron plates) or similar at the moment? I need some additional ones

https://www.mcsport.ie/collections/weight-plates-134/products/olympic-cast-iron-tri-grip-disc-10kg-hit00412

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

is anyone selling place selling these (10KG/20KG cast iron plates) or similar at the moment? I need some additional ones

https://www.mcsport.ie/collections/weight-plates-134/products/olympic-cast-iron-tri-grip-disc-10kg-hit00412

Plenty on eBay/Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Plenty on eBay/Amazon

with reasonable delivery times week-10 days? Ill check anyway, was trying local first

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Loads of bumpers on adverts and some rubber the seller Gymless is doing free delivery and is very reasonable on price! No affiliations I recently purchased from him myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

B17 variant means we're not going to get the case numbers down, I think we all accept that. Whatever you think about Leo he was right recently when he said we would not get to below 500 cases again in the near future. Then we go to hospital admission and ICU numbers. As I understand it we are stiller higher on those scores right now than we were last year when were in summer and out of phase 5 restrictions.

I reckon "outdoor summer" and we limp our way through the vaccine program, and things will look better sometime between September and Novembe

The gyms could reopen from 29th June last year. At that point, hadn't had more than 30 daily cases for 3 weeks, 22 in hospital and 12 in ICU.

The virus that drove the first wave was eliminated in that first lockdown. It was a variant that drove the second wave and the arrival of B117 that catalysed the 3rd. Should just have mandatory quarantine for all arrivals, but that's a diversion.

I don't think they really know what level of infection to try and reopen things at but they have all their eggs in the vaccine basket and I'm not confident that when supply ramps up that they will be able to deliver the degree that they need to. Especially when vaccinators knock off at 6pm (well, according the Beacon debacle they do there).

Had mapped out what to do with what I have til early/mid June but having to see what I can add to what I have to take me through to Q4

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Same story here 77 year old fil with health conditions and hasn’t left the house in a year and the gp haven’t a clue when he will get the invite for a vaccination but she did say once they get the invites it’s an online portal, should be fun considering he’s dementia
    Anyway I’m off out for a run around a mountain before I lose the plot indoors

Once they get a shot before last week in April and the last shot 3/4 weeks later mid may is still on the cards for over 70s.

We are looking at 250k/week soon.... Over 27k doses were administered last Thursday..... We are not far off 35k/day.

By end of May there will likely have been 3m doses administered and all over 70s vaccinated along with a significant number of group 4.
    With vaccine roll-out on the cusp of 250k doses/week there's never been a time for greater optimism.
    Vaccines are the way out.

By end of May there will likely have been 3m doses administered and all over 70s vaccinated along with a significant number of group 4.
    With vaccine roll-out on the cusp of 250k doses/week there's never been a time for greater optimism.
    Vaccines are the way out.

The optimism of 27k in one day is tempered by less than 10k over last Saturday and Sunday and 10k on Monday. The weekends always have low numbers.
    Averaging 35k/day seems a long way off but maybe it isn't....I just don't have massive faith in the HSE to be able to deliver at a rate that's close enough to the rate of supply.
    Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

The optimism of 27k in one day is tempered by less than 10k over last Saturday and Sunday and 10k on Monday. The weekends always have low numbers.
    Averaging 35k/day seems a long way off but maybe it isn't....I just don't have massive faith in the HSE to be able to deliver at a rate that's close enough to the rate of supply.
    Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

The low days are due to using up the bulk of the vaccines earlier in the week. They're just administering what's left in order to meet the weekly target that is set out prior to the week commencing. I assume the weekly number is decided based on stock levels and delivery timelines. We also need to retain a certain amount of stock for buffer purposes. The way I see it it doesn't matter how we reach the weekly number as long as it's reached.

DylanJM wrote: »
    The low days are due to using up the bulk of the vaccines earlier in the week. They're just administering what's left in order to meet the weekly target that is set out prior to the week commencing. I assume the weekly number is decided based on stock levels and delivery timelines. We also need to retain a certain amount of stock for buffer purposes. The way I see it it doesn't matter how we reach the weekly number as long as it's reached.

No, I have no issue with it either. It just doesn't inspire confidence in 250k weeks if the rest of the week is considerably lower.
    We'll see...obviously I hope that they can deliver but I'm just not confident

No, I have no issue with it either. It just doesn't inspire confidence in 250k weeks if the rest of the week is considerably lower.
    We'll see...obviously I hope that they can deliver but I'm just not confident

The Sat and Sun figures are low because the weekly allocation is pretty much used up by then. Once the weekly allocations are higher I'm sure theses days will increase (along with the high days).

The Sat and Sun figures are low because the weekly allocation is pretty much used up by then. Once the weekly allocations are higher I'm sure theses days will increase (along with the high days).

There only seems to be 3 days where numbers are respectable. Tue last week was 19/20, Wed 22 and then Thursday 27. If there was proper planning, the figures wouldn't be as up and down as they are. Therein lies the reason for my absence of confidence.

AZ vaccine resumption was also a factor.... If they can lash out 27k one day they can do it everyday IMO.
    I've no doubt there are more than a few gnomes in the midst of such a huge project but I've little doubt they'll administer the bulk of 2m over April & May.
    It's all about that IMO, it won't be flawless but the project doesn't lend itself to flawless execution IMO given the urgency, scale, existing infrasture (minimal) etc etc.

There only seems to be 3 days where numbers are respectable. Tue last week was 19/20, Wed 22 and then Thursday 27. If there was proper planning, the figures wouldn't be as up and down as they are. Therein lies the reason for my absence of confidence.

If they say 80,000 to be done for the week what does it matter what way it is done once they get done? Supply is still the issue NOT administration. Tue-Fri are the high days. Monday is low as that is the day the deliveries are done I think.

If they say 80,000 to be done for the week what does it matter what way it is done once they get done? Supply is still the issue NOT administration. Tue-Fri are the high days. Monday is low as that is the day the deliveries are done I think.

You're missing my point. I didn't say administration was the limiting factor at all.

I said i wasn't confident that administration wouldn't be the limiting factoe when supplies of 250k/week come in.

Hitting 75% of the target in 3 days is fine when it's 80kg a week. Different story with 250k a week.

All that I'm saying is I'm concerned that the HSE might not have everything in place to administer doses at the level of 250k a week, which is a reasonable concern given that they have fallen short of targets already (wasn't always non arrival of AZ) and because it's difficult to have blind faith in the HSE. It's hardly controversial.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Gyms are opening in the U.K. in two weeks b@stards - I’m sooo jealous
    30m people vaccinated over half the adult population

If all goes well there when we have a similar % vaccinated there's no reason why we can't relax restrictions as they did. We are ahead of them on 2nd vaccinations % also I imagine.
    We'll be in a much better position at the end of May........ England 6 weeks ahead of us really. Enough of a lag to actually see how things go there.

We're at 15% after first dose and over 1/3 of them are now fully vaccinated.

All that I'm saying is I'm concerned that the HSE might not have everything in place to administer doses at the level of 250k a week, which is a reasonable concern given that they have fallen short of targets already (wasn't always non arrival of AZ) and because it's difficult to have blind faith in the HSE. It's hardly controversial.

True, all true but in terms of the big picture if they get 2m doses over April and May I'm sure they'll get 95% of them into arms in that window + a week or two.

This is a case of where the media will sh1t on about every little detail going wrong but the devil isn't in the detail in this one.......... if they get the doses into arms quick enough no one should be overly bothered about the bumps in the road along the way. They are inevitable on a project of this scale when the HSE are the circus masters.

Most folk know of a gnomey GP also, GPs and their staff are integral to this as they have to be.

• Advertisement

True, all true but in terms of the big picture if they get 2m doses over April and May I'm sure they'll get 95% of them into arms in that window + a week or two.

This is a case of where the media will sh1t on about every little detail going wrong but the devil isn't in the detail in this one.......... if they get the doses into arms quick enough no one should be overly bothered about the bumps in the road along the way. They are inevitable on a project of this scale when the HSE are the circus masters.

Most folk know of a gnomey GP also, GPs and their staff are integral to this as they have to be.

Like I said, I will remain hopeful and im not saying they won't. I just don't share your confidence.

Some aspects of the delivery make me less than confident (media narratives can be taken with a grain of salt so it's not that).

I would be delighted to be wrong. I have to say, your continued confidence in it is actually infectious

Advertisement