Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Jaysus!

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Pay €10/kg, you get a gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I just really wish they were open. My life isn't the same without them. In a way the gym helps mask a lot of problems and that's not a good thing but it's a great pick me up. I really don't see why something that helps a lot of people that is a solitary activity is seen as such an afterthought. We are very short-sighted. In a bit of misanthropy I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. I guarantee a lot of people won't be the same people(for the worst) once the dust settles.

....I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. ......

Let's hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Augeo wrote: »
    Let's hope not.

He's wrong to hope for it but he's right to expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I just really wish they were open. My life isn't the same without them. In a way the gym helps mask a lot of problems and that's not a good thing but it's a great pick me up. I really don't see why something that helps a lot of people that is a solitary activity is seen as such an afterthought. We are very short-sighted. In a bit of misanthropy I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. I guarantee a lot of people won't be the same people(for the worst) once the dust settles.

Yeah, fitness and health is big part of my life too. I'm really struggling having no place to vent. Stupid cardio isn't cutting it. And there's no end in sight. And even if gyms are allowed to open mid summer, I can guarantee, they'll be shut again in winter. We're looking to move to house (not very likely happening soon either because it's the worst time for buyers in the property market) but one of my major requirements is the space for the home gym, that I won't be dependable on commercial gyms and ever be in this situation again :(

And yes, I agree that some people are damaged for the rest of their lives because of this. I work in retail, I meet a lot of people every day and some of them are really gone crazy, completely nuts like. Not many, but some. Majority people are back to pre-covid social distancing, thanks god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd say there's been lots of weigh gain from the gyms being shut, I've put on a few extra kg and see many members of the gym I train in around town with an expanded waistline.

Wonder what the long term damage of this will be?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What do you think the long term damage of a collapsed health system would be? Or the toll of hearing the trucks removing the bodies from the cities every night would be? Or the toll of far, far more people being left with inflammatory organ damage? Or the toll of us all having lost a number of loved ones?

This is undeniably crap but it’s crap because it’s a pandemic not because we have a mitigation strategy. (In fact an initial stronger mitigation strategy across Europe would have most facilities open now.) And while it’s hard to maintain certain types of fitness without the right equipment, it is far from impossible to stay physically and mentally healthy if you put your mind to adapting to the situation we’re in rather than dwelling constantly on what you don’t have. The reason we’re such a successful species is because we are so highly adaptable. I long for the day this is over as much as anyone here but I still feel better for adapting.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'd say there's been lots of weigh gain from the gyms being shut, I've put on a few extra kg and see many members of the gym I train in around town with an expanded waistline.

Wonder what the long term damage of this will be?

On the plus side, people might figure out how to manage their diet better

On the plus side, people might figure out how to manage their diet better

They are not tho, people are eating more out of boredom and stress.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If the gym is closed reduce calories and it stops the waist line expanding

The majority haven't, in fact they are eating more.

• Advertisement

They are not tho, people are eating more out of boredom and stress.

Find something else to fill that time that doesn't involve eating. You don't need to have a home gym...a willingness to want to find an alternative would help though. An alternative to the gym won't be better than the gym but it's better than the alternative of doing nothing and eating out of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

iguana wrote: »
    What do you think the long term damage of a collapsed health system would be? Or the toll of hearing the trucks removing the bodies from the cities every night would be? Or the toll of far, far more people being left with inflammatory organ damage? Or the toll of us all having lost a number of loved ones?

Thankfully we shut gyms and pools and therefore prevented truck’s pulling 40ft containers full of dead bodies

Find something else to fill that time that doesn't involve eating. You don't need to have a home gym...a willingness to want to find an alternative would help though. An alternative to the gym won't be better than the gym but it's better than the alternative of doing nothing and eating out of boredom.

That's obviously the black and white logical approach here.
    Unfortunately, many people don't operate that approach and have put on weight during lockdown.
    I read a report recently that stated the average American put on half a stone from Feb - Jun 2020

Wonder what average weight gain per irish person has been in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

Are you suggesting that all of the above would have happened if they let the gyms stay open? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, many people don't operate that approach and have put on weight during lockdown.
    I read a report recently that stated the average American put on half a stone from Feb - Jun 2020

Wonder what average weight gain per irish person has been in the last 12 months.

Another report from America said that the majority wouldn't be renewing their gym memberships because they had found cheaper and/or more convenient ways to work out. The report you've referred to didn't mention the gym so putting on weight isn't a gym issue.

Another report from America said that the majority wouldn't be renewing their gym memberships because they had found cheaper and/or more convenient ways to work out. The report you've referred to didn't mention the gym so putting on weight isn't a gym issue.

Ask many gym members have they put on weight since the closure of gyms?

I have spoken to many who have put on weight, which I suspect will never come back off.

Gyms aren’t closed in isolation, it’s part of a wider strategy. Personally I’m very unhappy with the European response to this. It’s been poorer than I had hoped for initially and the B117 mutation has ensured that it’s wholly inadequate.

Ask many gym members have they put on weight since the closure of gyms?

I have spoken to many who have put on weight, which I suspect will never come back off.

I didn't say they haven't.

I'm merely saying there are alternatives to the gym that can serve a purpose.

I used go to the gym 5 times a week. I love going to the gym and training. I had signed up to 2 competitions in 2020 and both fell through.

I have a few bands and a pair of dumbbells. It's a shítty alternative to what I enjoy doing in the gym. But its an alternative. A means to let off some steam at night after everything else is done.

The alternative is doing nothing and putting on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Gyms aren’t closed in isolation, it’s part of a wider strategy. Personally I’m very unhappy with the European response to this. It’s been poorer than I had hoped for initially and the B117 mutation has ensured that it’s wholly inadequate.

Ironically, outside of old age, obesity is the second highest risk factor for Covid.

Rather than closing gyms more should open and be state funded to combat the crisis in future

Great info here

https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19_and_Obesity-The_2021_Atlas.pdf
    As we show in this report, increased bodyweight is the second greatest predictor of hospitalisation and a high risk of death for people suffering from COVID-19. Only old age rates as a higher risk factor.
    The unprecedented economic costs of COVID-19 are largely due to the measures taken to avoid the excess hospitalisation and need for treatment of the disease. Reducing one major risk factor, overweight, would have resulted in far less stress on health services and reduced the need to protect those services from being overwhelmed.
    We show that in those countries where overweight affects only a minority of the adult population, the rates of death from COVID-19 are typically less than one tenth the levels found in countries where overweight affects the majority of adults.

I didn't say they haven't.

I'm merely saying there are alternatives to the gym that can serve a purpose.

I used go to the gym 5 times a week. I love going to the gym and training. I had signed up to 2 competitions in 2020 and both fell through.

I have a few bands and a pair of dumbbells. It's a shítty alternative to what I enjoy doing in the gym. But its an alternative. A means to let off some steam at night after everything else is done.

The alternative is doing nothing and putting on weight.

Good for you, but your in the minority here. And doing nothing and putting weight on is what the vast majority have done/are doing and that's what started my initial query, as to what will the long term repercussions be of increased weight gain for many.

• Advertisement

I'd be very interested in a few years to see a proper study done on the long-term and knock-on effects of "saving" our healthcare system. Because to be completely honest the public system is as good as collapsed. 2 year waiting lists were common, that'll be increasing after a year of people not getting seen. Knee and joint problems that wouldn't be such an issue if they were sorted early could easily knock a few years off many people's healthy life expectancy. Hundreds if not thousands of cancer cases will be found later than otherwise. Lost jobs, lost relationships and marriages, all should be remembered as well.
    OTOH, how much healthy life expectancy has been lost to Covid? Since most people who die from it are already above average life expectancy then one has to assume it's likely not that high.

I put on a few kg in that time period because from March 18th until mid-June I couldn’t breathe and had bad chest pain following activity. It took months to lose that weight once I could exercise as I had post viral thyroid problems. And it wasn’t until late December that the inflammation in my chest went down enough for me to rebuild my upper body muscle. Yet as long as I’m well I can manage to keep my fitness and weight exactly where I want it.

Good for you, but your in the minority here. And doing nothing and putting weight on is what the vast majority have done/are doing and that's what started my initial query, as to what will the long term repercussions be of increased weight gain for many.

I'm not saying I'm in the majority. I know most of the crew I train with are in the same boat.

You can either put your energy into the least worst solution or focus on the problem.

I'm not saying I'm in the majority. I know most of the crew I train with are in the same boat.

You can either put your energy into the least worst solution or focus on the problem.

And most are choosing to do nothing and gaining weight as a result.

This isn't about what you personally are doing or not doing Alf as you keep bringing it back to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is undeniably crap but it’s crap because it’s a pandemic not because we have a mitigation strategy. (In fact an initial stronger mitigation strategy across Europe would have most facilities open now.) And while it’s hard to maintain certain types of fitness without the right equipment, it is far from impossible to stay physically and mentally healthy if you put your mind to adapting to the situation we’re in rather than dwelling constantly on what you don’t have. The reason we’re such a successful species is because we are so highly adaptable. I long for the day this is over as much as anyone here but I still feel better for adapting.

Trucks moving dead bodies out of cities...

Lol. You looking at the early 2020 projections or what? The man on the street knows it's not nearly as dangerous as you think. Stop talking shìte.

And most are choosing to do nothing and gaining weight as a result.

This isn't about what you personally are doing or not doing Alf as you keep bringing it back to yourself.

I'm not bringing it back to myself. You mentioned yourself and people you know from the gym. I mentioned myself and people I know from the gym.

I'm saying we have choices. The only choices aren't go to the gym or do nothing. Thats all. And fair enough, you're saying people are choosing to do nothing. I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying whether they put on weight or not is something they do actually have control over and is independent of the gym to a large degree.

Maybe I wasn't clear on that so apologies if it looked like I was making a different point or telling you you're wrong, per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

I work from home and miss the gym - it was a great way to end the day and became a big part of my routine. But, I think the government got this one right. I don't agree with all of their anti-Covid measures, by the way. Even if the gym I attend hadn't closed before Christmas, I'd have pulled the plug in the new year. I knew that despite the measures they were taking, going there was risky. It was a call I made for myself, justifying it on the grounds that I was working at keeping fit and doing something constructive with my evenings. The Covid rates were fairly low as well, though I was watching them. I later found out that one of the trainers and at least one of the gym regulars developed Covid around the time it closed - that's pretty close to home in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

I'm not bringing it back to myself. You mentioned yourself and people you know from the gym. I mentioned myself and people I know from the gym.

I'm saying we have choices. The only choices aren't go to the gym or do nothing. Thats all. And fair enough, you're saying people are choosing to do nothing. I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying whether they put on weight or not is something they do actually have control over and is independent of the gym to a large degree.

Maybe I wasn't clear on that so apologies if it looked like I was making a different point or telling you you're wrong, per se.

I think the point is that there is a certain section of the population who simply won't exercise unless they have access to a gym. That can have knock on effects to other areas of health like nutrition, daily activity, mental health, drug use, etc.

You can of course train hard from home and look after your nutrition. I can do it and you can do it. But the reality is that most people don't love training as much as we do. Some of my PT clients simply won't train without someone in person to hold them accountable.

I think that personal opinions on lockdowns aside, it's fair to say that the decision to close gyms for the past year will have a longterm negative on the health of those people I've mentioned. Whether or not that will come at a greater cost to the healthcare system and our society down the line is probably just conjecture at this point until there's more data.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I think the point is that there is a certain section of the population who simply won't exercise unless they have access to a gym. That can have knock on effects to other areas of health like nutrition, daily activity, mental health, drug use, etc.

You can of course train hard from home and look after your nutrition. I can do it and you can do it. But the reality is that most people don't love training as much as we do. Some of my PT clients simply won't train without someone in person to hold them accountable.

I think that personal opinions on lockdowns aside, it's fair to say that the decision to close gyms for the past year will have a longterm negative on the health of those people I've mentioned. Whether or not that will come at a greater cost to the healthcare system and our society down the line is probably just conjecture at this point until there's more data.

Absolutely.

Training and gym use is a chore for most, many will use the closure as an excuse to not exercise.

Many also won't have the knowledge or confidence to train at home or use bands/sandbags/kettlebells etc

While that's normal for many of us on here, it's not the norm for the casual gym user, it's just another barrier for them.

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »

I wasn't disagreeing with that, per se. As I said, I possibly phrased it so that it read differently to how I intended. I do get there are people like that and I'm not saying it won't have a negative impact on people's health.

But, by the same token, there are also people who will make excuses for not making an effort.

The past year has been a shítty time and there are a multitude of factors at play that will impact people in different ways and it's not strictly black and white.

I just disagree that someone puts on weight solely because they have don't have access to the gym. Thats not the same thing as saying people don't put on weight because they don't have access to the gym.

But that's, like, just my opinion man.

Advertisement