Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

rondog wrote: »
    If you have a 4 day trial get your worth from it.

You can do one of the classes,visit the Gym,then visit the spa area for a jacuzzi etc and then swim.

Be a shame if you had a 4 day pass and just used the Pool.

no no the plan will be to use the gym & pool

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

With numbers going up and up I hope to f*ck they don't close gyms again. Surely not.

Numbers are going up but hospitalisation is still low and very stable.

It won’t go back to that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone know how much Raw membership is at the minute?

Not in the mood to get the hard sell from them in person.

I rang up Donnybrook a while back and it was 60 per month + joining fee. Not sure if that's still the case but might give you a ball park!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

I rang up Donnybrook a while back and it was 60 per month + joining fee. Not sure if that's still the case but might give you a ball park!

Nice one, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Flyefit have this thing to show the buys times now:

https://www.flyefit.ie/busy/

But tbh it's not much use at the moment as it just shows they are busy the whole time after 16:00 (or after 07:00 if you go early)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

I've had my membership with flyefit paused and was considering starting it back up, until I looked at that because I would only ever go the gym during quiet times.

With the booking system, can anyone tell me how busy the flyefit gyms get? Is it at full capacity?

The booking system is a joke at the moment, you are allowed to stay after the timeslot you booked now, so people are heading in right at the end of their timeslot hogging all the racks etc. Place is full when you come in at the start of your timeslot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Yeah, think it worked better with the 90 mom slots they kicked everyone out at the end of. Weekends aren't too bad even though you don't have to book

Are people finding gyms good regarding covid protocols? I tried one recently but there was basically no mask enforcement anywhere and just a general vibe that nobody was taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why would they need to be wearing masks working out. That's a huge turn off and will see members leave and new customers joining fall.

• Advertisement

my understanding is that masks should be worn in common areas when not working out. So entering and leaving the building etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im not sure what anyone expects gyms owners to be doing at the moment, masks are only supposed to be worn moving between areas like when using stairs or corridors , entering and leaving basically, to me that is profuctury , actual basic hygiene as in people cleaning stuff is reasonable and not seen much of what I would call genuine overcrowding. If vaccinated there is nothing that would worry me about gyms at the moment, or anything really

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If double jabbed, I agree it’s largely a moot point from a personal health point of view at this stage.

If I were unvaccinated though, then considering the spreadable nature of Delta and the fact that the double jabbed population are starting to drop social distancing and relax … I would probably expect to be among the people getting Delta in the next while. Smaller gyms do seem like Delta would do well in them if it’s as easily spread as suggested.

To be honest I’d love to see the Covid cert system brought in for all access to indoor facilities, including gyms. It’s working well for indoor hospitality. We could have had a return to all indoor sport and cultural stuff weeks ago if we had the guts to just ignore the complaining of a rapidly dwindling minority who don’t want to participate in the vaccine program. Anything that would convince a few more of them to do it would be welcome if it reduces further the amount of the population still serving as a reservoir for the virus to continue in.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Was redirected here from another thread.

I went back to my gym this week for the first time since December and was surprised to see the lack of Covid procedures in place. There was no mask wearing anywhere (on entering, in common areas etc.) , no social distancing requirements that I could make out, only a handful of people were cleaning the machines before or after use and the gym was packed. In addition to this probably about half the people in there were in their 20s so they are unlikely to be fully vaccinated yet. Despite been double vaccinated, I left after about half an hour as it just didn't feel safe.

It seems like this is common practice in other gyms too, which doesn't make any sense as it is completely at odds with advice for all other indoor areas. Surely if the threat of spreading Delta is so great indoors, then there must be evidence of massive transmission of the variant within gyms if they are all operating like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Someone told me yesterday Westmanstown gym has pool access for fully vaccinated people only. Now its not my gym so i dont know if this is the case but I thought it certainly would set a precedent.

Tim76, if you read some of the recent replies above your post, and earlier in the thread, I think you'll get a sense of what's going on out there in terms of what people observe in gyms they go to.

The vaccine program in Ireland is actually progressing so fast I wouldn't be sure that some of the 20 somethings you're talking about aren't vaccinated. According to the Irish Times (11 August) for people between 25-49 years 67.5% are fully vaccinated, 15.5% have one dose, and 17% aren't vaccinated. For 18-24 40.3% are fully vaccinated, 33.1% have one dose and 26.5% aren't vaccinated. And bear in mind that people above 50 are pretty much 95%+ fully vaccinated, the only people left are the people who refused.

So actually it's possible that quite a number of the people you're concerned about are either fully jabbed or on their way to it.

The reality is that yes, in light of the above, and the fact that being double jabbed seems to be acting as an effective bulwark against hospitalisation and serious illness, people do seem to be relaxing a bit and things are opening up.

Although I'm concerned about the possibility of a further variant coming along that will undo our good work, I also think that when we near total levels of vaccine uptake we also need to accept that it's not 2020 anymore and the reality is that yes, we're going to return to something resembling normal indoor activities. As I said above, I think the key thing going forward would be to take the unpopular step of refusing service to people who won't participate in the vaccine program. It's an easy case to make, on public health grounds and from the point of view of private businesses on the basis of staff safety and possibly insurance and liability issues. I think that's the way we're heading coming into the winter anyway.

One other point that's been in my mind lately is that we should also bear in mind that double jabbed people who are close contacts of positive Covid cases, who have been doubled jabbed for more than seven days, are NOT being tested or required to restrict movements unless they are symptomatic. I think we're not picking up on a lot of cases that are within the double vaccinated cases because people are getting it but are asymptomatic. There's no way we'll see clusters we can link to the gyms because people just aren't getting that sick any more, it's probably a good thing although it makes a mockery of contact tracing. The answer is just for everyone to be vaccinated. Our hospital admissions and ICU admissions are almost all either elderly, people with underlying conditions and perhaps most interestingly the unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Delighted my gym has no masks anywhere..it's my only safe space from the lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where I go now you are only admitted with a booking. So they can limit numbers.

you book in for a certain area... cardio / weight room / etc...you are not permitted to wander around between sections if you haven’t booked.

you cannot access the gym area without scanning your ID, if you haven’t pre-booked the gate won’t open.

whoever they got to do the website for booking I have to say are great, must have been given the job at reasonably short notice but it’s super user friendly. From booking to making payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Flyefit removing the need to book training slots from 1st of September

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Great news, hopefully Gymplus follow soon.

A first world problem I know but having to book a gym or pool session to begin on the hour and/or at short notice which often sees no slots avaliable is a pain.

After that and in time for winter, hopefully the jacuzzi will open (I know some places never closed but mine closed March 2020).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tribeshift

Went to the gym for my first workout in ages. Feels good to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone have any idea on when/if Flyefit are going to extend their hours? Two weeks in a row now I have gotten geared up and was walking out the door around 7 only to suddenly remember the bloody place will be locked up in half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

Joined local gym online and haven't got much info from them, so not sure what the current protocols/restrictions are - I zoned out of all that once I got vaccinated!

I presume u still can't use showers or changing rooms, have to turn up ready to go, and drive home sweaty!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If you haven't been specifically told that the showers are not in use, assume they are. Afaik most gyms with the exception of Ben Dunnes have showers open

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Went into a Gym located near work looking to see about joining but the deal breaker for me is there's still no showers, I aint going home sweaty.

Does anyone know when the showers will be available again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

The showers are open in gym I joined, but nobody seems to be using them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Very strange. Almost everywhere has showers open and lots never closed them at all.

Even Ben Dunne had to rebuild his after closing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

My gym only has the cold showers working in the gym changingroom. If you want a warm shower you have to go over the 5 a side changingroom which is a a bit if a trek.

We also had a small Sauna in the gym changingroom that has been closed since covid. I asked today would it be open at the end of the month and they said it is permanently closed :( really missed the sauna on cold winter evenings. Was hoping to use it this winter. It was one thing that I was suprised at how much I missed in lockdown even tho I did not use it that much. I know some people were only coming to gym to use the sauna. In general the gym seems to be far less busy as what it was before covid..are other gym users noticing the same thing?

Advertisement